DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Travis Barker

I totally agree with the idea of, he is over rated for all the wrong reasons. I mean i could understand the thing about "wow, hes fast! so he must be good." but i think of that as a very inexperienced view on drumming. His solo's will be good... to some one who knows nothing about drummers and drumming, but to some one who knows about these things you would much prefer to listen to Mike Portnoy or something like that becaus it is good drummer with heart and feelings in it, not just fast hands.

Regards
Chris
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris 2006
I totally agree with the idea of, he is over rated for all the wrong reasons. I mean i could understand the thing about "wow, hes fast! so he must be good." but i think of that as a very inexperienced view on drumming. His solo's will be good... to some one who knows nothing about drummers and drumming, but to some one who knows about these things you would much prefer to listen to Mike Portnoy or something like that becaus it is good drummer with heart and feelings in it, not just fast hands.

Regards
Chris
I think Barker has lived next to the he's fast quote for too long a time. I don't even really think this is entirely true. I think he employs theatrical physical mannerisms that make him appear faster than he actually is. This is combined with agressively accented double time and triplet patterns that create an illusion that more is going on than is actually occurring.

When I listen to or observe Joe Morello for example, I see an economy of very relaxed movement that on the surface makes you think he is slow as a tortise. But to listen to the recording of that same performance is a much different thing indeed, along with an obvious highest end musicianship that is obvious to all.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mangano
My name is Lee

Just goin thru these posts, I have to completely agree with you...I didn't look up your profile & don't know your experience or age but you make a great point, and I have to assume you are a professional & serious drummer.

The most asked question is Q: So who is the greatest drummer in the world ??

My Answer is: Theres way too many to count...and way too many varieties of styles to distinguish and point out 1 specific drummer as being the best.

I ask..would "AC/DC" be as solid & groove oriented rock as they are if Neil Peart was their drummer ....and would "Rush" be as progressive and unique in their odd time playing with Phil Rudd's style of playing ?

No, both bands would be weaker in getting their musical point across, but it doesn't make 1 drummer better or worse than the other...I consider them both top of their field in music & drumming ability...

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano

You make a totally correct point

HOWEVER!!!!! Travis barker's drumming is an essential part in the songs of Blink 182. Unlike most music, the drum part essentially leads the songs. most bands have the steady drum beat "back up". even though they also lead, blink 182 is a power trio, and therefore a more complicated and "filled" part is appropriate.

Travis essentially wrote a lot of the songs with his drum beats, which most of us cannot say without feeling a little guilty.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM

When I first heard Travis's playing, I was instantly hooked and it made me want to become a drummer. I think Travis has done that - made people want to drum - more than any drummer I know of, and I think the reason for this is that his beats and patterns harbour a fundamental 'catchiness' that appeals strongly to all people - be they drummers or not.

He was the first drummer I was exposed to that actually enhanced the songs he played on, as opposed to merely keeping time, and, as a result, he will always be one of my favourite drummers.

His technique may be questionable, and his showmanship excessive - but I challenge you to find me a modern (pop) punk drummer whose rhythms and fills stick to the back of the brain so fiercely...

Oh yeah, Derek Grant (Alk3) and Dave Ruan (Lagwagon) are also pretty good.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
When I first heard Travis's playing, I was instantly hooked and it made me want to become a drummer. I think Travis has done that - made people want to drum - more than any drummer I know of, and I think the reason for this is that his beats and patterns harbour a fundamental 'catchiness' that appeals strongly to all people - be they drummers or not.

He was the first drummer I was exposed to that actually enhanced the songs he played on, as opposed to merely keeping time, and, as a result, he will always be one of my favourite drummers.

His technique may be questionable, and his showmanship excessive - but I challenge you to find me a modern (pop) punk drummer whose rhythms and fills stick to the back of the brain so fiercely...

Oh yeah, Derek Grant (Alk3) and Dave Ruan (Lagwagon) are also pretty good.

i agree with you completely.. except the part where you question his technique.. on the contrary i think that is one of the few things non-Barker fans agree on.. is that he does have good technique....on the other hand people do make remarks on the way he sets his kit up... but ive seen plenty of weird ass setups on this site... and it all has to do with your personal comfort so that argument really dosnt hold up..
Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Travis' technique is a point of interest. In many ways you can tell his early drumming upbringing, the corps stuff. It's a tight grip that doesn't use much rebound with big sticks, as the majority of corps players play. Now most kit players would disagree with this approach (with a few notable exceptions). The important thing is that it works for him and it gets results, which are plain for all of us to see.

He's a flashy showman, he's an entertainer. He's a good drummer (not the best out there by any means, but for sure he's good) and he's inspiring kids to take up the drums. I see no issues. Beats, you actually make this thread worth reading sometimes, a positive voice of reason who's objective and not obsessed, but still a fan. More power to you.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat
Let's argue for pages on end about an endless topic.Let us be dumbasses and be jealous of someone who has accomplished more than 99% of us ever will.Yeah,sounds fun.
Russcat, I respect where you're goin' with that, but all music isn't about the fame and fortune angle. Do you really think Tony Williams or Elvin Jones ever cared about havin' a reality show or a mansion in Bel Air? Superficially, they only cared about being who they were, and knowing conclusively who others weren't. None of that has ever translated into walkin' around money.

As I have surveyed this thread, I really don't see alot of bashing. Most everyone with Travis criticisms state specifically why they feel the way they do, often with technical jargon to back it up. That's not bashing or jealousy, and is far different than sayin' you suck then just running away. As for the other side, I'm mostly seeing a series of misplaced love letters, along with some better posters like Beats McGee, who I believe are honestly trying to get everyone to see a middle road, although I continue to believe that his technique is an overblown issue for reasons I have already explained.

If we as musicians are equating success with how much stuff we have, then we are in the wrong profession.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith
Russcat, I respect where you're goin' with that, but all music isn't about the fame and fortune angle. Do you really think Tony Williams or Elvin Jones ever cared about havin' a reality show or a mansion in Bel Air? Superficially, they only cared about being who they were, and knowing conclusively who others weren't. None of that has ever translated into walkin' around money.

As I have surveyed this thread, I really don't see alot of bashing. Most everyone with Travis criticisms state specifically why they feel the way they do, often with technical jargon to back it up. That's not bashing or jealousy, and is far different than sayin' you suck then just running away. As for the other side, I'm mostly seeing a series of misplaced love letters, along with some better posters like Beats McGee, who I believe are honestly trying to get everyone to see a middle road, although I continue to believe that his technique is an overblown issue for reasons I have already explained.

If we as musicians are equating success with how much stuff we have, then we are in the wrong profession.
thanks for the compliment... that is all ive been trying to do since day one on this thread...
Old 07-28-2006, 08:07 PM

For me to Sum this up on a Positive note:

I've been reading & posting myself back & forth views on Travis Barker because of this thread...it's a valid subject, because of the level of noterioty & drumming ability, we all can learn from the comments & about other drummers views & complete differances of oppinions...thanks to Travis's success.

I think the main thing to learn from this thread, is we're all at differant levels of ability & success, depending on your own personal expectations, you may have already accomlished your goals, even if it will always be just a hobby for you & a love for the instrument...

there is a whole other world out there to deal with and that goal is fine & maybe realistic for you...should I critisize you...no, your problably smarter than me...LOL..but your also lucky enough not to be in the public eye were the whole world can all critisize & pick you to peices in forums like this & other media resources

But realize this for maybe your own future, because you may soon be in the limelight & will you be able to deal with this type of critisism ....the lesson to be learned from this forum is..

This may be the toughest part of the music industry, & the differance between you grabbing that ring or stepping down & settling for a more reasonable goal, critism can destroy a persons confidence, incentive & ambition

We can all thank & honor Travis Barker no matter what we think of his drumming for his strength, endurance and professionalism for over coming all the obsticles it takes to get where he is today...and maybe because of this forum someone out there will realize & be more aware of these obstacles that are just as important as talent & ability to be successful in the music business..as did Travis Barker...

Good Luck All...& sorry about the essay...

Peace! Lee
Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Pioneer Member

nice post Lee... i agree with you. its hard to come up in such a competitive buisness and make it to the top. i can only imagine the countless number of people that would probably try to discourage one from pursuing their goals in music... and i personally respect any one that can rise to the occation and make it in such a world... congrats to you, and to the many including Travis that have done so...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:03 PM

travis barker is a legend no matter what you say tom me hes like buddy rich a pure legend hes well known everywhere travis's drums are cool and he is a legend. some of you say he's not fast but wacht the end of the fuel live solo i think its fast.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 PM

look how far he has brought blink 182, i think there albums are alot better since he joined
and all of of the new bands he's made
Old 07-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdp rock
travis barker is a legend no matter what you say tom me hes like buddy rich a pure legend hes well known everywhere travis's drums are cool and he is a legend. some of you say he's not fast but wacht the end of the fuel live solo i think its fast.

its fans like you that say things like this.. that make honest fans like me look very bad.... come on.. apreciate him, be a fan... but dont say stuff like this...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yPSoTc5vUAE
Old 08-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdp rock
Fast? So what? Fast? Don't make me laugh.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM

"he's like buddy rich,a pure legend?!" are you serious? you need to look at both drummers body of work before making an ridiculous statement like that...there are hundreds of drummers known and unknown that come closer to BR than TB.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Travis Barker is a good solid drummer. He lays down some serious beats, keeps time and has good technique. He is a very good musician (how do you thin he got the Blink job anyway) and he deserves some respect. Som many people trip over theselves because he is "overated".I dont fully understand him being "overated". He is an entertainer and a good mucician, and thats why the people like him.

Im tired of all these drums snobs who think they are so "musical" not trying to give Tavis some cred for being the most popular so therfor in the public eye on of the best drummers in the Punk scene today. And also to all of the "snobs" out there, eing fast DOES matter. Buddy Rich would not have been the great he was withoout being fast. That being said, being fast is not everything. Now if anyone can come up to me and say Travis

#1- isnt fast
#2- doesnt play good beats and solid music
#3- is as self absorbed as Buddy Rich was

then we can have a discussion. I'm not saying Travis is as-good-as or better thatn BR, but he is a highly respectable drumer, period.

Last edited by d.c.drummer; 08-11-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 PM

Yeah i totaly agree especially the part that he is an entertainer. A good drummer is often a good entertainer, and with his whole "body-moving" he entertains the people. Of course to it looks very exaggerated but to peole who don't play drums it looks very cool.

And if you look on www.drummagazine.com you see that he became best Punk drummer and that has to have a reason. If you remeber he was drummer of the year a few years ago too.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:29 PM

For everybody who is interested. There is a big interview with Mark Hoppus on b182.com.
He says everything ybout plus 44 and the broke up of blink 182.

http://www.b182.com/askmark1.php
Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Pioneer Member

thanks for that link, it really cleared up a lot for me. i've been looking for that info for a while.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:55 PM

Hi, can somebody tell which drumheads does travis use on his snare and how does he tune them, i just bought the emperor x and the hazy ambassador and i just dont get the sound travis has on his snare......
Old 08-21-2006, 05:08 AM

you are really not going to get the sound like his snare unless you have a snare like his... which is at least $1500-2000
Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
you are really not going to get the sound like his snare unless you have a snare like his... which is at least $1500-2000
1500$-2000$? where did you get numbers like that? ive seen plenty of signature snares and they go for like 300 or 400.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer

I hope that estimate is an exageration.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Chip

I take it you've never seen the prices on OCDP stuff? 1500-2000 sounds a lot closer than 3-400.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
I take it you've never seen the prices on OCDP stuff? 1500-2000 sounds a lot closer than 3-400.

Hes right, if you go look at orange county percussion drums on thier website they have some of the prices for thier snares, and they are around $1500-$2000
Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
petgeh

If you are looking for the travis barker snare got to : http://www.ocdrum.com/drums/image.ph...=18&n=63&t=319

And if you are looking for his kit go to:
http://www.ocdrum.com/drums/image.ph...=18&n=59&t=319
Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 PM

You dont need an OCDP snare drum to get his sound, you just have to know how to tune your snare.

DW. ZILDJIAN. TAMA. VATER. PEACE
Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 PM

the whole price thing is bull. pretty much all you are paying for is the badge on it with the orange county logo. they are keller shells. if you want travis' stuff at a rad price go to www.conawaydrums.com dave can do it. and extremly affordable prices. i had him price a replica of travis barkers amber achrylic set and it was a little over 2000 snare included. i wouldnt ever pay even that much for drums. just cause you can get the sound you here you favorite player play on any kit with the right heads and the right tuning.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:44 AM
petgeh

I never would pay a OCDP kit. Of course they look cool, but they are too expensive.

Go to http://www.plusfortyfour.com/ (The new band of Travis) and you can hear their second song.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
I hope that estimate is an exageration.
exageration of what? I guess you don't know about OCDP...the main reason they're so expensive is because of the large hoels /"vents"they have in their snares, to produce more sound

If you want to get "his" sound.... what do you mean?

depends on what kind of wood the snare is made out of ,etc

of course you don't need an OCDP snare to sound like "his" sound

of course tuning and micing drums will change sound
Old 09-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Chip

Quote:
the main reason they're so expensive is because of the large hoels /"vents"they have in their snares
Sorry, but I can't see an extra $1000-$1500 in vents. A drill press and a large enough cutting bit... It would be very similar to actually drilling the shell for the lugs/various visual crap they put on their drums to appeal to rich people that don't care for sound/sonic appeal.

OCDP's price boils down to borderline extortion and greed. They most likely make their sales from Travis Barker fans. One 'swiss-cheeserized' snare peppered with ridiculous decorations would probably pay for 2 whole Keller shell packs with hardware, which in turn would probably pay for about 5 more kits. They have a HUGE budget/profit margin.

I could never, nor think of any intelligent (about drums) person that would pay such money for a snare that looks like it has barely survived a bout with a small cannon.

Then again, I'm also told that the ZXT titaniums sound 'really good, really high quality' and 'they were the best at the shop'. If somebody chooses those tinny-sounding cymbals, coated with silver that makes them sound more tinny, for the price that one could've got professional cymbals... I think they deserved to get ripped off.

^I sound grumpy, don't I?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:02 AM

I saw a pertty nice used OCDP for 2000 at guitar center. Not all of their stuff has to be bought new cmon guys.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Pioneer Member

i love acrylic drums so much! i want to scale dow to a 4 piece kit, cause i never use the 3rd tom. travis's kit is similar to the sizes i want...

whats the benifit of a 24" deep kick
Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 AM

I'm not totally sure about Travis' sound but cutting more and bigger holes in a drum will just make it less sensitive, i.e. you would have to hit harder to get the same sound from a less drilled shell. Maybe he likes that, I don't know

Thats the way I understand it at least
Old 09-17-2006, 04:05 AM

I was just wondering, does travis use a double bass pedal? sorry if its a stupid question.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 PM

I don't think Barker will be a legend. As thoroughly mainstream as he is, he wouldn't do anything that will be innovative. Still, I couldn't say he was a bad drummer for a few reasons: 1) He does seem to play well in his area of music. 2) He's a much better drummer than I am, so my judgement might not be the one you want to hear.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Travis Barker is good

All you people just dont get it. Travis has the feel, he has the skills, he's been playing drums from the age of 4!!! If you ask why travis is not like other drummers it is just because he is known for playing in bands.. and all you see of him doing is playing punk.. although you have to admit his ideas for every song he plays are brilliant! I've seen travis' solo (as in the not punk one).. he's pretty good i tell ya... not the kind of thing u'd expect seeing someone in a punk band playing...

i've been playing drums since i was four... i oughtta know.. im fifteen now.. im going to perform on TV later on the 13th of october 2006... n my lifetime goal is to get my name on any of these drum websites.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns3476
I was just wondering, does travis use a double bass pedal? sorry if its a stupid question.
I dont think he use double pedal..
Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM

I've been to the (+44) Concert in Cologne yesterday. I just have to say it's fu***** awesome to see him (Travis) drumming. I was in first row, just 4 meters away from him. This guy is incredible!!! I think there's no better Punkrock Drummer on this world!!! By the way...the whole band was great.
I talked to some other guys who had a bad opinion of Travis and they said that this show totally changed their opinion!

Last edited by Mageneinfalt; 09-24-2006 at 06:31 PM.