DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #681  
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 AM
DWDrummer DWDrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageninhalt
@ DwDrummer

oh...i thought you wanted to say something that he's moving his body to much or something like that
oh no i just wanted to post it bc i think its a cool video
__________________
MEZA
Reply With Quote
  #682  
Old 07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Mageneinfalt's Avatar
Mageneinfalt Mageneinfalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

Oh yeah...i totaly agree with you
Reply With Quote
  #683  
Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM
TC_759 TC_759 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 10
Default Re: Zildjian232

most people on this forum have logical opinions, and can back them up. others are very ignorant of what a good drummer sounds like. opinions like this come from little experience and incorrect knowledge, or just plain arrogance. If some one says "i can play all that new stuff." or "its not that hard at all." i dont buy it. if you posted a recording of you playing those songs and then compared it to barker's work on that album would it be comparable? Could you match his timing, feel, dynamics, etc.. ? if you could it would be impressive, if not they just may be a little more challenging than you thought.
Reply With Quote
  #684  
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Zildjian232

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_759
most people on this forum have logical opinions, and can back them up. others are very ignorant of what a good drummer sounds like. opinions like this come from little experience and incorrect knowledge, or just plain arrogance. If some one says "i can play all that new stuff." or "its not that hard at all." i dont buy it. if you posted a recording of you playing those songs and then compared it to barker's work on that album would it be comparable? Could you match his timing, feel, dynamics, etc.. ? if you could it would be impressive, if not they just may be a little more challenging than you thought.

you may be right, but that is not why im responding, i am responding becasue those are some of the main reasons i like his music.. on all the recordings ive loved the way his drums sounded so much on so many different albums..
Reply With Quote
  #685  
Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Mageneinfalt's Avatar
Mageneinfalt Mageneinfalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

i even think the "new stuff" is more difficult then the "old stuff"!!!
If you listen to the last albums he made with blink or transplants etc. you'll see that it's something you don't hear very much in Pop/Punk/Rock!!! To me it was soemthing totaly new!!! And it's really not that easy to play!!!
Reply With Quote
  #686  
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

that is subjective, because it depends on the individuals skill level.. its not the most insainly complicated stuff, its just fun, sounds good, and creative.. i like it alot
Reply With Quote
  #687  
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsRyan
Look at Phil Rudd, he's a great drummer and never played anything too complicated. I think Travis is overrated because way too many non-drummers see him and think speed is the only factor that makes a drummer good. He is good, but not great.
My name is Lee

Just goin thru these posts, I have to completely agree with you...I didn't look up your profile & don't know your experience or age but you make a great point, and I have to assume you are a professional & serious drummer.

The most asked question is Q: So who is the greatest drummer in the world ??

My Answer is: Theres way too many to count...and way too many varieties of styles to distinguish and point out 1 specific drummer as being the best.

I ask..would "AC/DC" be as solid & groove oriented rock as they are if Neil Peart was their drummer ....and would "Rush" be as progressive and unique in their odd time playing with Phil Rudd's style of playing ?

No, both bands would be weaker in getting their musical point across, but it doesn't make 1 drummer better or worse than the other...I consider them both top of their field in music & drumming ability...

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano
Reply With Quote
  #688  
Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

while i see your point and its valid, i cant help but to ask myself.. "could neil pert play an ac/dc song with the same feel and groove" and i honestly thing he could.. not saying anything bad about Phil Rudd, but im pretty sure Neil could fill in fine.. maybe there is a better analogy out there that i couldnt question as easily..

i get your point tho ..
Reply With Quote
  #689  
Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
hd_drummer's Avatar
hd_drummer hd_drummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: honolulu
Posts: 21
Default Re: Travis Barker

shall i add my opinion why not everyone else seems to be...

not my personal favorite but i'm in no position to be ragging on him all in all travis he's cool with me
__________________
Increase your drum session...
http://aapao.qhealthzone.com

XS revolution!!
Reply With Quote
  #690  
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM
TC_759 TC_759 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 10
Default

my question is for Lee Magano. what did you find unimpressive about his drumming? just wondering your opinion. -TC
Reply With Quote
  #691  
Old 07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

Lee what band do you play in?
Reply With Quote
  #692  
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Mageneinfalt's Avatar
Mageneinfalt Mageneinfalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mangano
My name is Lee

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano
Well, i think Travis is a pretty lucky guy because he came in the right band at the right point, and the people recognizede that he's not only a normal drummer, but that he's a good entertainer, too and that`s why he got his own tv show and of course he just gets his image by seeling many records and having a lot of tattos, but there you can see it is all about the image and i think blink would never be there where they are now without travis!!!
And of course it's your opinion that you think his drumming is unimpressive but i think that's what it's definitelty not because if it would be unimpressive he wouldn't have been that famous now because his style of playing the drums made him to what he's now!!
Reply With Quote
  #693  
Old 07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Never Stop! woohoo! Never Stop! woohoo! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker is not the greatest soloist of all time, but he certainly is one of the greatest drummers, if you listen to the actual music in the bands that he is in. (especialy Boxcar Racer) Since that music is popular, he is one of the biggest influences on other drummers of the new generation, including me. He is the ONLY drummer that incorporated that kind of complex style into this particular type of music, and definately deserves the recognition that he got. I am not saying he is the best drummer, I am saying...well...what I just said.
Reply With Quote
  #694  
Old 07-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Travis Barker

Just as a counter argument against what you said, what are your thoughts on Josh Freese? Again, Travis is a very good drummer and in terms of influence he is certainly one of the most influential out there. I suppose to your definition of 'greatness' Travis is a great drummer, but my definition of great is different.
Reply With Quote
  #695  
Old 07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

josh freeze is sick.. love his drumming
Reply With Quote
  #696  
Old 07-20-2006, 05:38 PM
gringo998's Avatar
gringo998 gringo998 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: chicagoish
Posts: 281
Default Re: Travis Barker

jish freese is the man.
but anyway.

il be honest. i had a travis barker fase.
i grew out of it,
i had an anti travis barker frase
i grew out of that too
i dont listen to any of the bands hes been in anymore

but i realized something that everyone esle should to.

HE IS DOING WHAT HE LOVES! HE IS GETTING PAID MONEY FOR HIS PASSION! I ENVY HIM FOR THAT. NOT FOR HIS APPERANCES ON MTV, NOT FOR HIS FAME, BUT FOR LIVING THE DREAM MAN. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL REALIZED THIS.
__________________
keep it together
Reply With Quote
  #697  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Mageneinfalt's Avatar
Mageneinfalt Mageneinfalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TJTXfnM-V...er%20canada%20
Reply With Quote
  #698  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:25 PM
cdawg_2010's Avatar
cdawg_2010 cdawg_2010 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageninhalt
nice. i love that song and usually its a lot faster. he plays great in happy holidays, you b******
Reply With Quote
  #699  
Old 07-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Mageneinfalt's Avatar
Mageneinfalt Mageneinfalt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

Yeah...you see that he doesn't just plays fast!!!
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 AM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

i love that vid.. ive seen it before... thats a pretty sweet groove...
Reply With Quote
  #701  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:04 AM
fusion_bigband_rock fusion_bigband_rock is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
Default travis barker country music awards

did anyone see travis barker at the country music awards, i thought it was so funny, i can't find a video of it any where though, if anyone has a site for me that wuold be great thanks
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:07 AM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: travis barker country music awards

already a thread

clickey
__________________
RENEGADES OF fUNk
Reply With Quote
  #703  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:08 AM
T.Underhill's Avatar
T.Underhill T.Underhill is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MD
Posts: 1,588
Default Re: travis barker country music awards

BAM! Right from B's own Drummerworld Forum...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12833
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:11 AM
fusion_bigband_rock fusion_bigband_rock is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20
Default Re: travis barker country music awards

oh...should probably check the threads first shouldn't i
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo998
jish freese is the man.


HE IS DOING WHAT HE LOVES! HE IS GETTING PAID MONEY FOR HIS PASSION! I ENVY HIM FOR THAT. NOT FOR HIS APPERANCES ON MTV, NOT FOR HIS FAME, BUT FOR LIVING THE DREAM MAN. I THINK WE SHOULD ALL REALIZED THIS.
Gringo
I have no problem with him livin the dream, God Bless him... I didn't bring the subject up I only responded to it because it does trouble me the amount of recognition he gets does not come even close to his talent level...

If you look on the opening page of this website under the "Most viewed" it's Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Louie Bellson and.... "TRAVIS BARKER" ...

Thats like in a statement about NFL QB's you mentioned Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, Bart Star, Jonny Unitus, John Elway and " TRENT DILFER"....

I use Trent Dilfer because he has a Super Ring, gets Paid for his passion and livin his dream like you say, but still is mentioned in the same sentence with that group of players as Travis Barker....with the "truly "Greatest" drummers of all time. Doesn't quite fit.

My oppinion mostly comes from the live drum solo he has on the website...the one were 75 % of the time he is actually playing a basic drum beat...the same beat i teach all my beginner students starting at 7 years of age. And some of my students don't lose time like he does playin that simplistic solo...embarresing !!!

The sad part is he actually stops to listen to people clapping & screaming about 4 times & starts the basic drum beat again...it's very sad....and embarressing and displays exactly how medioca & unimaginative & unimpressive Travis Barker is to answer your other statement and mine....

I hope the next drummer listed on the most viewed sites on Drummerworld is one of the 12 or 13 yr olds on here that are rediculas in Talent & playing from the heart like the 8yr old on the trash cans with sisters 4-8 yrs old dancin for him...they're smokin individuals...

those are the people I would hope the majority would look up to, I think in the entertainment world you have to recognize true talent & not think someone has it only because they are livin the dream...and getting paid for it....

In my world I was brought up that you earn respect, and don't expect it unless you can back it up with truth, confidence and talent no matter what your cause or way of life is

Peace!! and have a "Great" day...Lee
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
Lee what band do you play in?
Hi Mr.McGee

I am 147 yrs old...in the 70's & 80's My band "NRG" opened & toured with Nazareth, Judast Priest, KIX, Extreme, Wendy "O", Blue Oyster Cult & many others...

Without giving you the long boring typical Rock Band story that ends up in Superior Court...we managed to get a song on the original "Transformer" The Movie Soundtrack...Leanard Nemoy & Judd Nelson were in it & Rick Derringer etc...was also on soundtrack our song was "Instruments of Destruction"...

We are attemting to get on the new Transformers real action movie to be released July 4th, 2007 by Dreamworks & Steven Spielburgh...George Clooney & John Voit are a few in it... If you want to see or read more about my accomplishments, go to my website...www.drumschool.net

Peace!! & have a "great" day....Lee
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 07-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

[quote=Stu_Strib]I love this forum! This is the only forum on the internet (yes, I've checked them all, hehe) that can have an intelligent discussion about Mr. Barker without a huge fight breaking out.

His videos on drummerworld are the worst examples of good drumming of all the ones Bernhard has posted.

Thanks for the mature discussion on this topic, and lets hope all the "Travis Barker RULZ!" crowd stays away from this thread.


Stu
I couldn't agree more with you and have already replied a few times about that embarresing drum solo posted on his site...and of what i have read so far pretty mature discussion without outragous remarks that mean nothing.

My reaction to reply to this thread was when i saw on the home page the "Most Viewed" sites...Louie Bellson, Buddy Rich, Neil Peart & "TRAVIS BARKER"....

anyone who has questioned my original statement about his talent isn't responsable for his noteriety & exposure, but his Bands high record sales, VH1's show and a ton of Tatoo's got him where he is today....not his unimpressive (As you also mentioned) drumming...

Peace!!! & you have a "Great" day....Lee
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_759
my question is for Lee Magano. what did you find unimpressive about his drumming? just wondering your opinion. -TC
TC
Just watch his simplistic, un-imaginative, live drum solo on this website...if that doesn't convince anyone he is unimpressive, I can only say your not listening to the right players that will inspire you to be "Great" at your instrument instead of just medioca to make it.

Peace!!! Lee
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
DWDrummer DWDrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
Default Re: Travis Barker

Someday, I would love to hear Mike Portnoy. I have also heard some great things about Travis Barker and Flo. I will really be looking forward to hearing these three play. Peter Erskine and John Riley are two great contemporary Jazz Drummers. Kenny Aronoff is one of the most “in demand” Rock Drummers of today. I know Kenny can play anything, and swing with the best of them. Terry Bozio and Simon Phillips are two other drummers I hope to catch someday.


that was a article from Art Verdi. He even likes Travis Barker. I don't know why most of you here don't think he's pretty good, but a lot of proffessional drummers have a lot of respect for him. Travis Barker is really good....you can't argue that.

I guess you European people just have some different opinions...
__________________
MEZA
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
gringo998's Avatar
gringo998 gringo998 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: chicagoish
Posts: 281
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mangano
Gringo
I have no problem with him livin the dream, God Bless him... I didn't bring the subject up I only responded to it because it does trouble me the amount of recognition he gets does not come even close to his talent level...

If you look on the opening page of this website under the "Most viewed" it's Buddy Rich, Neil Peart, Louie Bellson and.... "TRAVIS BARKER" ...

Thats like in a statement about NFL QB's you mentioned Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, Bart Star, Jonny Unitus, John Elway and " TRENT DILFER"....

I use Trent Dilfer because he has a Super Ring, gets Paid for his passion and livin his dream like you say, but still is mentioned in the same sentence with that group of players as Travis Barker....with the "truly "Greatest" drummers of all time. Doesn't quite fit.

My oppinion mostly comes from the live drum solo he has on the website...the one were 75 % of the time he is actually playing a basic drum beat...the same beat i teach all my beginner students starting at 7 years of age. And some of my students don't lose time like he does playin that simplistic solo...embarresing !!!

The sad part is he actually stops to listen to people clapping & screaming about 4 times & starts the basic drum beat again...it's very sad....and embarressing and displays exactly how medioca & unimaginative & unimpressive Travis Barker is to answer your other statement and mine....

I hope the next drummer listed on the most viewed sites on Drummerworld is one of the 12 or 13 yr olds on here that are rediculas in Talent & playing from the heart like the 8yr old on the trash cans with sisters 4-8 yrs old dancin for him...they're smokin individuals...

those are the people I would hope the majority would look up to, I think in the entertainment world you have to recognize true talent & not think someone has it only because they are livin the dream...and getting paid for it....

In my world I was brought up that you earn respect, and don't expect it unless you can back it up with truth, confidence and talent no matter what your cause or way of life is

Peace!! and have a "Great" day...Lee

you toatally got me wrong
i dont like travis barker probably as much as you do
and so what if theyre are "eleventeen yearolds" who beleve he is the greatest drummer out there. sure its wrong, but im saying we should just forgert about it and stop bashing.
i cant stnad the way travis barker plays. and yeah it is discusting on how much fame he gets for it, but what can we do? hes doing well, and hes happy.
__________________
keep it together
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
beatsMcGee's Avatar
beatsMcGee beatsMcGee is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,326
Default Re: Travis Barker

Lee, i agree that one solo that you keep refering to is a little simplistic etc... but that is the worst solo ive ever seen him do and there are much better if you fancy looking... but i agree hes not the best and im not arguing that he is, i just enjoy his style and intensity and he is actually pretty creative, dispite the negativity that is spinning off that solo reveiw.. for example the MTV "duet" series that got cancelled way back in the day features blink-182 and of course Travis, they auditioned kids to play along with Travis to "Stay together for the kids" and during that duets he does some pretty creative stuff... but anyway...like i said im well aware there are much better drummers, and i love them too, but does it mean you have to only like the elite of the elite (as far as drummers) and one can not find qualites in other drummers to enjoy???
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
DWDrummer DWDrummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
Default Re: Travis Barker

lee mangano u are wack man.

look at another solo of his, that one you wrote an essay critiquing isn't his best work obviously...it's kind of weird you write a dam short story man.....don't go into specific detail... that's just scary....he's a good drummer... who gets paid to play drums... your pretty jealous if you ask me

it says ur a pro drummer in ur profile.. but I don't need your whole philosophy on travis barker man
__________________
MEZA
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Lee Mangano's Avatar
Lee Mangano Lee Mangano is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 160
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
lee mangano u are wack man.

look at another solo of his, that one you wrote an essay critiquing isn't his best work obviously...it's kind of weird you write a dam short story man.....don't go into specific detail... that's just scary....he's a good drummer... who gets paid to play drums... your pretty jealous if you ask me

it says ur a pro drummer in ur profile.. but I don't need your whole philosophy on travis barker man
DW
Thanx for the Compliment and the critism...Sorry I'm not good at getting my point across with 1 sentence...I'll try & shorten it up...I don't want the site to crash cause of my post

1st DW...I am not jealous of anyone in the world, I have accomplishments in this field, some maybe greater than Travis Barker, I am also "Honored" to be one of 1,300 drummers on this web site on "Links"pg & I just made the "Wish List" under M (Lee Mangano)...go to my website & view and your welcome to critisize me as I did Travis. Part of the biz

I never once said Travis sucks and I also blessed his success...and begrudge no one's happiness..he has some great qualities as a drummer, his aggresive playing & attack and visual appearence...but still to answer this original thread...his talent didn't get him were he is, you prove it did.

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
altered_beast's Avatar
altered_beast altered_beast is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston, Lincs, U.K.
Posts: 554
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mangano
DW
Thanx for the Compliment and the critism...Sorry I'm not good at getting my point across with 1 sentence...I'll try & shorten it up...I don't want the site to crash cause of my post

1st DW...I am not jealous of anyone in the world, I have accomplishments in this field, some maybe greater than Travis Barker, I am also "Honored" to be one of 1,300 drummers on this web site on "Links"pg & I just made the "Wish List" under M (Lee Mangano)...go to my website & view and your welcome to critisize me as I did Travis. Part of the biz

I never once said Travis sucks and I also blessed his success...and begrudge no one's happiness..he has some great qualities as a drummer, his aggresive playing & attack and visual appearence...but still to answer this original thread...his talent didn't get him were he is, you prove it did.

Lee
you prove it didn't. had he not played in blink182 he wouldn't have got the recognition. remember that "Meet The Barkers" didn't start until blink was nearly on its last legs, so his success cannot be attributed to that really... I honestly think he gained the recognition for the way he plays. Sure, it's not the most creative drumming out there but can you imagine someone such as Neil Peart or Danny Carey playing the way they do to Blink182 pop punk songs? It simply wouldn't work. When you stand Travis Barker up against others in his genre who get similar credit (Tre Cool, the guy from Good Charlotte [I dislike the band too much to look up his name], the guy from Simple Plan [likewise], Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio [is that his name? it escapes me!]) he holds his own, with the exception of Derek, but I like Alkaline Trio a lot. Therefore his talent simply lies in being able to write suitable beats (note that's suitable and not the best) for the music that Blink wrote. I personally like the middle section from "First Date" and the beat from "Feeling This", to name two. I'll make the point now that I'm not a massive fan of Blink but I was quite into punk/ pop-punk in recent years and Blink were one of the bands whose albums have rested amongst my collection and a couple of their CD's still do. I don't dislike them, but they're far from my favourite. I wouldn't say Travis is amazing, but he's certainly good at what he does. His being overrated - depends on who you talk to.

Enjoy my essay, the novel will be out in the fall... heh.
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 07-26-2006, 01:51 AM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Travis Barker set up?

i used to chase drummers set ups. Then i realized how many drummers i was chasing and how many set-ups there were, almost none the same. So I said to my self "If their ways are perfect for them and thier not copying anybody why should i copy them? I should play my perfect set-up, no thiers". After which my mom immediatly got me checked for talking to myself...


... but when i got back i built my kit from the floor up. Ive never been happier.
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Bonham15's Avatar
Bonham15 Bonham15 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 16
Default Re: Travis Barker set up?

I think you should just set up your kit however your comfterable with it. if your not comfterable with your set up, how are you gonna get better and learn new things. Its kinda of like would you rather your kit be like everyone else, and suck, or would you rather be great, with a setup that no one else has?
__________________
"...In England, they don't have Smokey the Bear...they have, Smackey the Frog."--Mitch Hedberg
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 07-26-2006, 02:21 AM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: Travis Barker set up?

Dont sacrafice ability just for appearance
__________________
RENEGADES OF fUNk
Reply With Quote
  #718  
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,222
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mangano
My name is Lee

Just goin thru these posts, I have to completely agree with you...I didn't look up your profile & don't know your experience or age but you make a great point, and I have to assume you are a professional & serious drummer.

The most asked question is Q: So who is the greatest drummer in the world ??

My Answer is: Theres way too many to count...and way too many varieties of styles to distinguish and point out 1 specific drummer as being the best.

I ask..would "AC/DC" be as solid & groove oriented rock as they are if Neil Peart was their drummer ....and would "Rush" be as progressive and unique in their odd time playing with Phil Rudd's style of playing ?

No, both bands would be weaker in getting their musical point across, but it doesn't make 1 drummer better or worse than the other...I consider them both top of their field in music & drumming ability...

As far as Travis Barker...I respect that he has been noticed in this business, but as a drummer I believe the fact that his bands record sales where high, he has a ton of tattoo's and VH1 did a "Meet the Barkers" show is the only reason Travis gets the notoriety & exposure he gets...it has nothing to do with his unimpressive drumming....

Lee Mangano
i truly could not agree more. I feel especially that last part was as perfect an explantion for what i think about barker.
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #719  
Old 07-26-2006, 09:04 AM
toxegendrummer's Avatar
toxegendrummer toxegendrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Posts: 328
Default Re: Travis Barker

Barker, just like ulrich, drum for the song, not too make things technical or anything but to just serve the songs its drum parts...they dont need to be a speed demon or need progressive style or anything like that unless...the songs requirses it to work...unfortunately, their bands dont, so they dont do it
__________________
My Tama Superstar
Myspace
Reply With Quote
  #720  
Old 07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
gumpstar gumpstar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Default Re: Travis Barker

to the question on page one, why havent steve gadd or vinnie coliuta got their own tv show?

cos they would bore normal people senseless, people who dont play drums that is!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com