DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

See, here is the problem. I'm not talking about Vinnie Colaiuta's discography. I am talking about Travis Barker. This thread is about Travis Barker. I didn't make that statement for those numbers to be compared to anyone else. I made it because 75% of hte people on this forum think Travis Barker is jsut another drummer. "Other" drummers don't just sell 20 million records.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
See, here is the problem. I'm not talking about Vinnie Colaiuta's discography. I am talking about Travis Barker.

See, here is the problem. Album sales don't mean JACK about musicality and skill. However, being invited to play on Megadeath, Faith Hill, Frank Zappa, and about 1000 other diverse musical acts says a lot about your musicality.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 PM

Here are some clips that I know most of you on here have never seen. Excellent compsure and chops here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTR0jHfKGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KrvGpkyH8
Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 PM

i think bernard said it best
if he thousands of kids started playing drums because of him
its positive
abilitywise, hes overrated for sure, WAY to much, but not bad. and hes not trying to be the greatest drummer ever, its just people who claim he is. in his point of view, hes making music, and doing what he loves best.
i give him credit for that
Old 07-01-2006, 08:41 PM

Well then count Travis Barker in for having a good, diverse musical stand. It was pretty cool that he got invited to play at that country award show, but Travis is by far the most wanted drummer for the rap scene today.

And please, don't start an argument about rap. Everyone's already heard it all. Plus, all of you here who bash on Travis stress the importance of diversity in music. So if you look down upon rap you are just another hypocrite.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
See, here is the problem. I'm not talking about Vinnie Colaiuta's discography. I am talking about Travis Barker. This thread is about Travis Barker. I didn't make that statement for those numbers to be compared to anyone else. I made it because 75% of hte people on this forum think Travis Barker is jsut another drummer. "Other" drummers don't just sell 20 million records.
You're making him out to be superhuman. This is a mistake. Not selling twenty million records doesn't make a drummer any less good. I'm sure there are plenty of drummers who are on his same level or better who have never sold a single record.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:50 PM

Okay the 20 million records was NOT a good example on my part. Everyone is twisting what I was trying to get across. By far 20 million records is not "on top," I was using it to say that he isn't as bad of a drummer as everyone thinks here. But it is a bad example so just drop the idea.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 PM

DRUMStuff.com: Who were your early influences?

Travis Barker: I liked Mikki Dee, who plays with King Diamond. He was with Dokken and Motorhead, too. God, he's an amazing drummer, he has a good style. I've always liked Dennis Chambers, he's real flashy. [giddily] God, who else do I like? I like Steve Gadd, everything he did with Steely Dan. There's so many. I like everything. Stewart Copeland. Fish-- I love him so much.

Ok, stop now- there's no need to argue anymore. Everyone on here is comparing Travis to the drummers HE loves. But on a sad note, most of his fans are young teenagers, who give him a bad name. It's unfortunate here how people are comparing him to people he looks up to, and everyone is acting as if Travis is "challenging" these drummers. I wonder if Travis ever reads these forums. He probably just laughs about all of this. He is by far the most laid back and caring celebrity in the music scene. Yes, I said celebrity. He is one, not because he chose to be, but because that's just what happens when a lot of screaming teenagers support him...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:09 PM

I need to get this out....
I LOVE BLINK-182. They write catchy fun music.
I LOVE BOXCAR RACERr they also write good music.
I like most of his projects, and the rest of the blink guys.
Travis barker is pretty damn good in my opinion, but i take my inspiration from EVERYTHING and EVERYONE, classic drummers, Great drummers, bad drummers, local drummers..Life lessons, spirituality, my surroundings, my lifestyle. I incorporate all of this in my drumming.
EVERY ASPECT OF MY LIFE is in my drumming.
music is about feeling, he show is well.
Its all opinion, thats mine.
and I must say he looked like an ass up there with the country stars, he shoulda chilled out, and that wasnt his place.

sorry for typing so much crap... maby im right maby im wrong, o well. =]
Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM

and DWdrummer thank you for the Boxcar video.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM

Anytime. And I was hoping to see what Stu or Bernhard thinks of these videos...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Here are some clips that I know most of you on here have never seen. Excellent compsure and chops here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSTR0jHfKGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8KrvGpkyH8
Dude, I like Boxcar the best of all the Blink spinoffs, but man...that just wasn't very good.

The drums were good though, and the drum sound was exceptional. The one thing I like about Travis is that he picks a riff and sticks with it through the whole song.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 PM

I like his fast finger movements (?) , and I love Blink and BCR, etc, but Tom is an okay singer, he is really flat a lot in both of these videos, and he ends late a lot of the times in the songs...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 PM

oh ok so my opinion dosent matter, eh?
=[
Old 07-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
See, here is the problem. Album sales don't mean JACK about musicality and skill.

exactly Stu....we find a pure example of that with the beatles
Old 07-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

20 Million albums musicianship does not give.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 AM

didn't I say to drop the 20 million album example?
anyway musicianship and 20 million albums doesn't even help one another.... that's like comparing an apple and a chair...... that wasn't my point at all
Old 07-02-2006, 02:38 AM

Most of the arguments on this thread seem to be steeped in matters of taste. Not everybody is into fusion/prog/jazz/20 piece drum kits made from amazonian wood. Not everybody has been exposed to it. For a little kid who hasn't heard of Gadd or Cobham, seeing someone like Travis Barker could be life changing.

A lot of the bickering seems to be stemming from jealousy,albeit jealousy soaked up vicariously for your unrecognized drum idols. Let it go, dudes. Go practice or something.

Also,Travis may not be the best drummer in the world (wasn't he ranked 30th or something in an opinion poll?) but you can't argue that he isn't one of the least dorky drummers out there. Which is why people like him : he can hold his own, and he's pretty damn charismatic for drummer.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:42 AM
petgeh

Here is another great video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPKi...ch=transplants
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
exactly Stu....we find a pure example of that with the beatles

No comment (Bernhard is lurking.)

A better example would be Elvis, or Brittney Spears, or Madonna.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbrink
and he's pretty damn charismatic for drummer.
Yep, I agree. His TV show is the only celebrity show that is any good. I think he's actually quite humble, normal and funny. I love his enthusiasm for cars as well. I just wish the show would focus more on his music life!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 AM
petgeh

If you interestet go to the homepage of his new band: http://www.plusfourtyfour.com/

On the fansite you can watch a video of recording, and listen to the first song No It isn't

http://www.plus44online.com/?page=media
Old 07-03-2006, 07:13 AM

Ok, I have read just about every one of these posts in this entire discussion. What you people need to understand is that you can't compare drummers from different genres and styles of music. Each category of music requires different musical needs. Travis being in the punk/pop-punk/general alternative uses different beats for his songs. Not all of his songs are fast tempo as many of you people have said. Where as Joey from Slipknot playing metal music, is required to play fast because of the style of music. Buddy Rich as some of you have mentioned is a great jazz drummer, but he doesnt play the same style drum beats as other drummers. All you people should understand is that Travis really is a great drummer for what kind of music he plays. Every drummer is great in their own way.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:00 PM

I agree with mr. fun with goats completely.

Also, it was said that his time was off on some of his recordings, i just want to know what tracks on what albums cause i would like to give them a listen and get back to the forum.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker playing country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
i agree completely, i think that he kind of shamed the drumming community, to a lot of the people that wtched that show probably came away from it thinking, hey that was a good performance, but did you see that tool of a drummer? yea, i told you all drummers are just tattoed idiots bangin on whatever is near by.

Idiot? I would never go that far man. Travis Barker is a great drummer and a great rock influence today.Wow, I would neevr refer to him just as "pounding on things." Say whatever you want but it's not going to change his drumming. Your just extremely jealous man. Go practice or something.

And it's pretty funny most of the people making these horrible comments of how Travis Barker "sucked" on the country awards are all grown men....wow...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:54 PM

HAHAHA!!! that was weard..!

But I think he did great..! I would never imagine Travis could play country that good!

This shows even more what a great drummer he is!

Last edited by mrs.wega; 07-03-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Wow. I'm not a huge Travis Barker fan (I do think he's good though), but the mocking and insulting him is just uncalled for. He's playing COUNTRY; he can't just go all out and do anything. He has to keep it completely simple, and that's what he did. And as for the headbanging, mohawk, and so on, that's just what he dresses and looks like; they knew that when they asked him to be on it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead
Wow. I'm not a huge Travis Barker fan (I do think he's good though), but the mocking and insulting him is just uncalled for. He's playing COUNTRY; he can't just go all out and do anything. He has to keep it completely simple, and that's what he did. And as for the headbanging, mohawk, and so on, that's just what he dresses and looks like; they knew that when they asked him to be on it.
So what you're saying is that Travis had to act in an appropriate manner for the gig he was on.. but simultaneously also didn't have to?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
So what you're saying is that Travis had to act in an appropriate manner for the gig he was on.. but simultaneously also didn't have to?
I was talking about his playing. He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases. As for his LOOKS, that's just how he dresses, and the people who asked him on knew that.

God bless
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases.
There is such a thing as a good country feel, and though it is not complex per se, it is not a gimme either. Could check Larrie Londin for samples, more recently Trey Gray. Jim Keltner has done some nice work on few Neil Young country songs as well, but Jim Keltner doesn't count because he's good at everything.

I'm not sure if TB was rehearsed enough for that country gig, but looks aside, the appropriate feel is absent.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
I was talking about his playing. He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases. As for his LOOKS, that's just how he dresses, and the people who asked him on knew that.
So what you're saying is that he had to be appropriate musically because his usual approach wouldn't fit the style, but he could be inappropriate in terms of his appearance and performance despite it absolutely not fitting the style? Why's that? Surely it's both or neither?

I'd agree that he would have to play simple in order to play country in that context, rather than his usual 16th-note-thrashing business. But I also think he should have at least attempted to fit the song in terms of his performance and attire, too - it's as much a part of the stage presentation as your playing is, and his stupid moshing just looked plain funny and out of place.

Any music is about communicating a feeling. Your playing should try to follow that - and Travis seems to have realised that. But if your appearance and behavior are directly contradictory to the feeling and emotion of the song as performed then you just end up undermining what the rest of the band is doing. It's as rude and immature as overplaying, IMHO.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that he had to be appropriate musically because his usual approach wouldn't fit the style, but he could be inappropriate in terms of his appearance and performance despite it absolutely not fitting the style? Why's that? Surely it's both or neither?

I'd agree that he would have to play simple in order to play country in that context, rather than his usual 16th-note-thrashing business. But I also think he should have at least attempted to fit the song in terms of his performance and attire, too - it's as much a part of the stage presentation as your playing is, and his stupid moshing just looked plain funny and out of place.

Any music is about communicating a feeling. Your playing should try to follow that - and Travis seems to have realised that. But if your appearance and behavior are directly contradictory to the feeling and emotion of the song as performed then you just end up undermining what the rest of the band is doing. It's as rude and immature as overplaying, IMHO.
First, I also thought that his whole behavior and attire in that setting looked a bit silly. However, I tend to think that the sound they put out is more important then the look of the person putting out that sound. Now, I'm sure you believe that too; I'm not trying to say you don't. The thing is, that's just his personality and how he dresses. If he plays for Blink 182, he wears those clothes; not because he's playing with them, but because that's just how he dresses and looks. We shouldn't expect him to change how he always dresses because he's going into a setting where those people don't generally wear those sort of things or act that sort of way.

Maybe he was simply just getting into the song and his natural reaction is to headbang. Sounds kinda dumb, but you never know. Also, we don't know what he usually plays if he's just jamming himself, so we can't say his preferred play style is punk rock just because that's what the band he's in happens to play.

Anyway, no need to get off to a bad start on these forums, so I'll hush now hah.

God bless!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:03 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
First, I also thought that his whole behavior and attire in that setting looked a bit silly. However, I tend to think that the sound they put out is more important then the look of the person putting out that sound. Now, I'm sure you believe that too; I'm not trying to say you don't. The thing is, that's just his personality and how he dresses. If he plays for Blink 182, he wears those clothes; not because he's playing with them, but because that's just how he dresses and looks. We shouldn't expect him to change how he always dresses because he's going into a setting where those people don't generally wear those sort of things or act that sort of way.

Maybe he was simply just getting into the song and his natural reaction is to headbang. Sounds kinda dumb, but you never know. Also, we don't know what he usually plays if he's just jamming himself, so we can't say his preferred play style is punk rock just because that's what the band he's in happens to play.

Anyway, no need to get off to a bad start on these forums, so I'll hush now hah.
Don't worry about getting off to a bad start, this is an interesting topic and it's better than just arguing over whether Travis "sux" or something of the sort - so let's get to it!

My normal attire is pretty scruffy. I hate clothes shopping, so I make do with stuff basically until it falls apart and I'm in danger of getting arrested for indecent exposure. But if I get a call to play at a primarily classical performance - which has happened before... well... I wear a decent suit. Ditto a jazz gig. If I get asked to play a metal gig then out come the old scratty Tool T-shirts etc. It's just the same for working. If I'm going into work at a fairly informal media company then I'll just wear pretty standard stuff (avoiding the scratty Tool T-shirts, of course), yet if I'm getting called to go somewhere where they have a dress code then I dress up. The reason for this is basically that dressing deliberately different from the people around you is a very loud shout for attention and generally speaking I'd rather demand attention through my work before my appearance. It's better to understate your appearance and overemphasise the quality of your work, generally, otherwise people tend to think you're a bit of a ("indecent piece of anatomy" - Ed).

You see my point? How I normally dress isn't an issue, because any out-of-place dress on a gig (be it a suit on a metal gig or a metal T-shirt on a jazz gig) immediately calls attention to the person wearing it. Ditto behavior. Now, that's cool if your role is to call attention to yourself - but that's a cross-applicable thing which also reflects on your playing. So if you're dressed like a maniac and playing like a maniac I don't see an issue with that - see Terry Bozzio on the Zappa "Baby Snakes" video. He's SUPPOSED to be taking a lot of the attention because he's a focal point in the band both musically and visually.

But then you have something like Travis Barker here. Now, either they hired him for freakshow reasons and they don't care if he plays like he does in Blink 182 as long as they can attract the "yoof" demographic, or they DO care how he fits into the band and they want him to be appropriate. I'd suggest that the differentiation isn't made between playing and appearance here, because they both reflect on the same thing in the performance: Is this person a focal point in terms of attention or not? Travis on this video just looks to me like he's trying to make up for the fact that his playing isn't a focal point of the music by looking and acting like he's on a completely different gig. That don't impress me much, so to speak...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about getting off to a bad start, this is an interesting topic and it's better than just arguing over whether Travis "sux" or something of the sort - so let's get to it!

My normal attire is pretty scruffy. I hate clothes shopping, so I make do with stuff basically until it falls apart and I'm in danger of getting arrested for indecent exposure. But if I get a call to play at a primarily classical performance - which has happened before... well... I wear a decent suit. Ditto a jazz gig. If I get asked to play a metal gig then out come the old scratty Tool T-shirts etc. It's just the same for working. If I'm going into work at a fairly informal media company then I'll just wear pretty standard stuff (avoiding the scratty Tool T-shirts, of course), yet if I'm getting called to go somewhere where they have a dress code then I dress up. The reason for this is basically that dressing deliberately different from the people around you is a very loud shout for attention and generally speaking I'd rather demand attention through my work before my appearance. It's better to understate your appearance and overemphasise the quality of your work, generally, otherwise people tend to think you're a bit of a ("indecent piece of anatomy" - Ed).

You see my point? How I normally dress isn't an issue, because any out-of-place dress on a gig (be it a suit on a metal gig or a metal T-shirt on a jazz gig) immediately calls attention to the person wearing it. Ditto behavior. Now, that's cool if your role is to call attention to yourself - but that's a cross-applicable thing which also reflects on your playing. So if you're dressed like a maniac and playing like a maniac I don't see an issue with that - see Terry Bozzio on the Zappa "Baby Snakes" video. He's SUPPOSED to be taking a lot of the attention because he's a focal point in the band both musically and visually.

But then you have something like Travis Barker here. Now, either they hired him for freakshow reasons and they don't care if he plays like he does in Blink 182 as long as they can attract the "yoof" demographic, or they DO care how he fits into the band and they want him to be appropriate. I'd suggest that the differentiation isn't made between playing and appearance here, because they both reflect on the same thing in the performance: Is this person a focal point in terms of attention or not? Travis on this video just looks to me like he's trying to make up for the fact that his playing isn't a focal point of the music by looking and acting like he's on a completely different gig. That don't impress me much, so to speak...
After reading your first sentence, I was thinking, "Okay, cool. We'll have a civilized argument." Then I read the rest of your post. I actually agree with you. You've changed my mind. Great explanation my friend! I don't know what his intentions were playing like that, and I definitely don't believe the higher-ups should've picked him out of all the other drummers there are. I do believe that he did a decently good job playing, but I agree that what he wore was uncalled for.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Gold Member

i thought it was fine. i don't know if he was trying to be a showman or what, but i didn't

care for all the huge swinging hi hat strokes.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:44 AM

And you know, I don't like how some poeple cut their hair, or what color shirts people wear.

Also, I hate how people blink their eyes, or walk a certain way. Another thing I don't like is how some people grow out their beards 3/4 of an inch.

Give me a break, if your going to argue what Travis is wearing, judge yourself first (are you wearing an acceptable shirt???? Is it the right color?) Don't judge his hair style orw/e, that's rediculous
Old 07-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The simple fact is, unless you're a superstar drummer, you'll get kicked out of a gig for wearing inappropriate dress. It really is just that simple. Wearing a 'Poison' T-Shirt full of holes to play Dixieland is going to earn you a sharp sacking.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 AM

I heard one year at drum day L.A., travis was suppose to go after marco minneman and he didn't want to go on, is this true?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Pioneer Member

i never heard that and id doubt it too, i dont think hes ashamed of what he can do wether it is better or worse than Joe Blow.. he brings to the table what he brings to the table.. love it or leave it ya know..

peace
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47 AM

yes that's what I like about him the most. On this forum everyone is so concerned about who's better than Travis. He doesn't even care. He doesn't see music as a competition or whatever.