DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: Travis Barker

I'm sure he can't control the degree of publicity he gets... but then he's hardly working to shun it either. And why would he? The reality is that Travis is the latest incarnation of the "pop star drummer" syndrome. He's a drummer, and he's also a pop star who is well known as a celebrity rather than just being a musician.

That's not a bad thing. It's those guys (Ringo, Bonham, Stewart Copeland, Tommy Lee, Dave Grohl, Danny Carey etc) who get people into playing the drums. Some will be remembered for all time because of this inspiration factor - Ringo was a great drummer for the Beatles, but he was no Tony Williams. Yet he doubtless inspired more people to take up drumming than Tony did, and many of them later caught on to other things going on in the world of drumming. Ringo was inspirational and I love to listen to his playing, but he didn't represent the state of the art. Ditto Dave Grohl. Tommy Lee hasn't lasted very long in this respect, mostly because his image as a public figure overtook any possible claims he might have on the world of drumming: like Bonham or Moon he was certainly a larger-than-life figure, but he didn't have the claim that Bonham has to completely changing an entire style of playing. As such he gets remembered as a celebrity more than a drummer. He wasn't a bad player, but he wasn't good enough to be memorable as anything other than the guy who married Pam Anderson (etc).

And some of theses guys have really stood the test of time. Bonham certainly has. So has Stewart Copeland, who despite being in a band that sold something like 80m records has managed to forge himself a memorable place in music as both a very innovative drummer and as basically the only "name" rock drummer to cross over into being primarily employed as a composer. And I personally think Danny Carey is a really, really great drummer who will be remembered for a long time.

What Travis will get remembered for is still up for grabs. He's certainly got a lot of facility, and he could go a long way with it. But I think most of the objection to him as a player that comes up in this thread is down to the fact that a lot of people are making unrealistic claims for his abilities as a musician. He's a good drummer - no argument there. I'm sure he's a nice guy, too. But he's quite objectively not a patch on somebody like Vinnie Colaiuta, which is where the issues arise. He's certainly not hall-of-fame type material yet, and whether he gets to be I suppose will be decided by which he's more attached to - the pop-punk image or the drums. Punk will eventually become uncool, just like Motley Crue became uncool and just like 70s arena rock became uncool. The question is, will Travis outlast the style that he's become famous as a figurehead for? If not he could be the next Tommy Lee. If so he could be the next Josh Freese. But the latter would probably require a lot more versitility and dedication to being appropriate than he's displayed so far in his career. That's all. Nothing against the guy. I'd love to be where he's at today, but if I was him I'd probably be rather embarassed about people claiming I was the best thing since the paradiddle was invented...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Stu_Strib

Hey Finn, with those last three posts, you have effectively allowed the admins to remove about 25 of my posts.

Well said. Let's just hope the kids actually read what you wrote now.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Well said finnhiggins.. i suggest all to read finnhiggins post...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Pioneer Member

i agree with what you wrote totally. i just want to hold some people up on the fact that travis can be someones favorite drummer, even though you know the fact hes not the best, and you dont claim he is, but you still choose him as a fav b/c he is what you looked up to when you started, which is the case for me b/c i like his style alot, his chops are pretty good, and hes creative for his genre. maybe its just me and im reading posts wrong, but people seem to be posting some what (not straigt up insulting) demening posts. im hating the word "kids" to discribe fans of barker (which im not a kid but a big fan of barker).. while many fans are kids, the conotation attacthed to the word seems degrading. im not tring to strike up a frenzy of defending posts but just a warning that some people, besides me, im sure are interpreting your posts that way...again maybe its just that i have an aversion to the word but.... yea...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:06 PM

well said beats McGee!!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
i agree with what you wrote totally. i just want to hold some people up on the fact that travis can be someones favorite drummer, even though you know the fact hes not the best, and you dont claim he is, but you still choose him as a fav b/c he is what you looked up to when you started
Here's the thing: You're allowed to have favourite drummers who you don't think are the best drummers in the world. I do. I absolutely love Matt Chamberlain. Is he the best drummer ever? No way. He does one thing - a certain style of groove material - extremely well and a bunch of other things well. But what he does really hits me in the right place creatively. Good stuff.

Is he as good as Vinnie Colaiuta or Dave Weckl? Doubt it. Those guys are insane. But on the other hand, most of the stuff they do leaves me pretty cold. I'd much prefer to listen to Matt's solo album than any of the stuff that Dave or Vinnie have done. I don't think that taking that position is disrespectful to either Matt or Vinnie or Dave. They're all great players and while I can respect what Vinnie and Dave have in terms of facility I enjoy what Matt does with his chops a whole lot more, personally.

So if you want to say Travis Barker is your favourite player because of how much he inspired you to take up playing then I think that's great. I'm only inclined to get riled when people say things like "...cant get much more skilled than travis as far as drums go." - ahem. I mean seriously. You can't get more skilled than that? Way to set the bar low, folks! There's a whole world of skill beyond what Travis has done on record so far. That's not to say you have to enjoy any of it, but denying it is there is rather rude to the people who have spent their lives developing it, no?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Pioneer Member

exactly. i don't like the term "best drummer" at all. travis is good, yeah, and maybe he can do some things that taylor hawkins can't, but i prefer hawkins' style. so neither win.
more advanced example. steve smith is really good at complicated patterns for sure, but i prefer the often simpler steve gadd because of his style.
matter of taste. after a certain stage, there is no better or worse, only preference.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Here's the thing: You're allowed to have favourite drummers who you don't think are the best drummers in the world. I do. I absolutely love Matt Chamberlain. Is he the best drummer ever? No way. He does one thing - a certain style of groove material - extremely well and a bunch of other things well. But what he does really hits me in the right place creatively. Good stuff.

Is he as good as Vinnie Colaiuta or Dave Weckl? Doubt it. Those guys are insane. But on the other hand, most of the stuff they do leaves me pretty cold. I'd much prefer to listen to Matt's solo album than any of the stuff that Dave or Vinnie have done. I don't think that taking that position is disrespectful to either Matt or Vinnie or Dave. They're all great players and while I can respect what Vinnie and Dave have in terms of facility I enjoy what Matt does with his chops a whole lot more, personally.

So if you want to say Travis Barker is your favourite player because of how much he inspired you to take up playing then I think that's great. I'm only inclined to get riled when people say things like "...cant get much more skilled than travis as far as drums go." - ahem. I mean seriously. You can't get more skilled than that? Way to set the bar low, folks! There's a whole world of skill beyond what Travis has done on record so far. That's not to say you have to enjoy any of it, but denying it is there is rather rude to the people who have spent their lives developing it, no?

agreed....... ... .....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Stu_Strib

Hey Beats,

Sorry to sound demeaning when I say "kids". It is more poking fun at my own age (like old men sitting around griping about kids these days). I like Blink-182 and Box Car Racer... I just don't pretend it is anything other than what it is. Too many people on here assume that if I have a criticism of the guy, that I automatically think he is bad.

You can't deny that the Barker's antics appeal primarily to younger fans (i.e. 'kids'). In those videos, you don't hear 42 year old men hollering "Yeah! Go Barker!" You hear thousands of teen-aged girls (and probably some guys too).

The only negative conotation involved here is that when you are a young kid, perhaps your judgment isn't as great as it could be. I think using "kids" in this thread is a pretty safe assumption and you are the exception. Sorry if I insulted you.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Pioneer Member

its cool thanks for the post :)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:09 AM

Who cares if he's not trying to shun his popularity. What do you want him to do? Go on TV and tell the media to stop giving him publicity? Thats rediculous man.... He's good.. that's a fact... he's only 30.. there's another brain twisting fact for you too... 5-10 years he will be amazing. THERES ANOTHER FACT!!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:54 PM

the ONE and ONLY reason i like travis barker is that he doesnt use drum mics at all. if you see his videos for his live performances, you dont see any drum mics at all. that is the only reason i like travis barker. other than that, he is pretty has a lot of rythmn and he is fast.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
the ONE and ONLY reason i like travis barker is that he doesnt use drum mics at all. if you see his videos for his live performances, you dont see any drum mics at all. that is the only reason i like travis barker. other than that, he is pretty has a lot of rythmn and he is fast.

if you cannot seemics it might be because they are inside the drums.

j

ps; here are some pics of his kits WITH mics.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM

Yeah... I don't see how not using drum mics makes you cool. Travis uses drum mics... and so does every drummer that wants to be heard over thousands of people...
Old 04-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Stu_Strib

Hey Nutha, those pictures reminded me to say something nice about TB. He definitely has his technique right (look at the good fulcrum, and how he isn't way back on the stick like most guys are).
Old 04-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Pioneer Member

yea his techniques is nice, i see most drummers holding the stick way at the back. i never understood that. seems like if you gain to much speed it will just pop out your hand.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
~tamadrummer~

mmm he has some nice drums
Old 04-15-2006, 09:53 AM

Just wondering if anyone knows what technique he uses (Moeller, french,german, etc). He plays a lot of one handed stuff, for example the boost mobile commercial. If anyone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Pioneer Member

yea there aer really good examples of his work on www.blink182.com i think you have to make a screen name but it has some good underground behind the scene drumming he did for his records... you can really see his speed and power in those vids.. also he does this one vid where hes doing a really cool groove.....um where else can you find travis stuff.. there is a real cool version of "miss you" they did live in austrailia on a show called rove i think... he does some interesting stuff in that version like some type of broken triplet one handed roll thingy. its plenty more interesting than the original version. see ifyou can find it on youtube. if i can ill post it. thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5ay...0barker%20rove

there is the miss you song... enjoy

p.s -- GHOST NOTES in this song are sweet
Old 04-16-2006, 09:44 PM

This has probably been mentioned before, sorry if it has (I haven't read the whole thread) Didn't Travis get an audition with Drum line or something?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Travis Barker Sticks

I might consider these if they left the tips unpainted. Who thinks to paint the end of the stick? I mean, they've got to know it will get EVERYWHERE

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 AM

sounds like double strokes to me.

"See how is wrist is not moving? It's because he is using the Moeller Technique."

http://www.derrickpope.net/moellertechnique.wmv

i believe the man says something about the whipping motion of the wrists having to do with the bounce control being fundemental to the moeller technique. i dont know......you check it out

anyways, it is possible for him to do a triplet just then, moeller or otherwise. but the poster described it as a "one handed ROLL thingy" which is a gross overstatement. the event itself, the "phantom no wrist moeller ROLL thingy" or double strokes was hardly memorable

this is me being nice

EDIT:"Just wondering if anyone knows what technique he uses (Moeller, french,german, etc). He plays a lot of one handed stuff, for example the boost mobile commercial. If anyone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks"

look what i just noticed, a very revealing earlier post. the way you can tell if a drummer is using moeller technique is by the dramatic WHIP OF THE WRISTS, in a fast drum roll you will see the arms and wrist noticable drop in an up in down motion to keep the strokes in loop

Last edited by low-tech; 04-17-2006 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Travis Barker Sticks

ive been playin just snare and the tips are becomin wood not white, so i mite be able to use them on cymbals i dont no yet
Old 04-17-2006, 05:30 AM

nah i knew he was either using the Moeller Technique or something like the French technique and he uses the back three fingers i know that (in faster speeds)for sure, so he isn'st using his wrists ....HA
Old 04-18-2006, 06:03 AM

Default Question about Travis Barker' drum heads

does anyone know the specifcations on what type of drum heads he uses? i know he uses REMO but i would like to know what he uses for resonant and batter heads for all his drums. thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
sounds like double strokes to me.

"See how is wrist is not moving? It's because he is using the Moeller Technique."

http://www.derrickpope.net/moellertechnique.wmv

i believe the man says something about the whipping motion of the wrists having to do with the bounce control being fundemental to the moeller technique. i dont know......you check it out

anyways, it is possible for him to do a triplet just then, moeller or otherwise. but the poster described it as a "one handed ROLL thingy" which is a gross overstatement. the event itself, the "phantom no wrist moeller ROLL thingy" or double strokes was hardly memorable

this is me being nice

EDIT:"Just wondering if anyone knows what technique he uses (Moeller, french,german, etc). He plays a lot of one handed stuff, for example the boost mobile commercial. If anyone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks"

look what i just noticed, a very revealing earlier post. the way you can tell if a drummer is using moeller technique is by the dramatic WHIP OF THE WRISTS, in a fast drum roll you will see the arms and wrist noticable drop in an up in down motion to keep the strokes in loop

they may sound that way but they arnt, look at his right hand doing 8th notes on the rim.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Question about Travis Barker' drum heads

i know for batter he used remo smooth white emperors.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Pioneer Member

a few years ago i saw king crimson open for tool. i think it was at a relatively small venue like the wiltern. i can see how tool was influenced by them. i got lucky it was some sort of small private party. seeing these bands can really open one's perspective.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jookbox
a few years ago i saw king crimson open for tool. i think it was at a relatively small venue like the wiltern. i can see how tool was influenced by them. i got lucky it was some sort of small private party. seeing these bands can really open one's perspective.
Sorry, I'm confused:..is Travis playing with Tool now or King Crimson?

By the way: Travis is so popular in the USA - even the No.1 drummer at Drummerworld. But in Europe 99% of people never heard his name, same goes for Blink 182

Bernhard
Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
in Europe 99% of people never heard his name, same goes for Blink 182

Bernhard
Yes, in America it is Blink One Eighty Two...In England, they are called Blink One Eight Two, which just sounds wrong!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Sorry, I'm confused:..is Travis playing with Tool now or King Crimson?
I think Robert Fripp would have him for breakfast.

And yes Stu, you're right. And blink one-eighty-two just sounds wrong to me!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:23 AM

Wait what? Blink one-eighty-two sounds right. Blink one EIGHT two sounds wrong.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Stu_Strib

Well back to my "pronunciation" thread argument; they are Americans, so say it like THEY do! Blink One Eighty Two!!! (or...The Band Formererly Known as Blink...)
Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Hey Nutha, those pictures reminded me to say something nice about TB. He definitely has his technique right (look at the good fulcrum, and how he isn't way back on the stick like most guys are).
Yeah his grip is pretty good, but his index fingers are wrapped too tightly around the stick. Not the most relaxed grip I've ever seen but way better than most of the young drummers out there.

I guess that's what bugs me about the guy, just because his fans really don't have much to compare him to, they all think he's so amazing.

Then nonsense starts to come out like he's gonna compete in the WFD or he uses no mics. Yeah, right. Please, this is total teeny bopper kid stuff.

It's like Joey Jordison. He plays a relatively fast double bass roll and everyone thinks he's so badass. Meanwhile someone like Gene Hoglan or Derek Roddy toils away in relative obscurity.

It's a shame really.

Last edited by Jeff Almeyda; 04-19-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
nah i knew he was either using the Moeller Technique or something like the French technique and he uses the back three fingers i know that (in faster speeds)for sure, so he isn'st using his wrists ....HA
Please learn what these words mean before you start throwing them around and confusing the younger drummers on this site.

Moeller technique, French GRIP (not technique) and finger control are three different things entirely.

Moeller is a wrist whip (a method for accenting and getting more than one stroke out of each wrist motion), French grip is a thumbs up grip matched style, and finger control is a method of controlling the sticks at high tempos using fingers alone.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knevildrummer
Yeah his grip is pretty good, but his index fingers are wrapped too tightly around the stick. Not the most relaxed grip I've ever seen but way better than most of the young drummers out there.

I guess that's what bugs me about the guy, just because his fans really don't have much to compare him to, they all think he's so amazing.

Then nonsense starts to come out like he's gonna compete in the WFD or he uses no mics. Yeah, right. Please, this is total teeny bopper kid stuff.

It's like Joey Jordison. He plays a relatively fast double bass roll and everyone thinks he's so badass. Meanwhile someone like Gene Hoglan or Derek Roddy toils away in relative obscurity.

It's a shame really.

your right and i like the way you said it. you didnt bash him like ive seen 20-30 other posters do. and you blamed his discredability towards his younger fans which is 100% why people who dont like him -dont like him- because his younger "and ignorant to drumming" fans are just cought up in him. travis is my fav drummer and got me into drumming that will never change, but im aware that his fans have soiled his reputation towards the critical drumming population by rumours and over dramatization.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 AM

I am a young drummer I'm still in high school. My bad for using the word technique instead of grip.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:57 AM

Ok sorry I was wrong about his finger technique. What does he use then? Looks like German grip influenced....
Old 04-20-2006, 06:44 AM
Pioneer Member

um ive seen alot of different grips, on the toms american/french. snare american/german. he does use the mollar and finger controll technique to achieve speed
Old 04-20-2006, 07:03 AM

Thanks I appreciate it man.

I saw Travis live a couple times, one at a Guitar Center Drum Off as a special guest ( in which Danny Carey, and his fans were there too). Travis wanted to leave the stage so bad after his performance I felt bad b/c all of the Tool fans didn't like him. I also met him in person once too. Dang is he shy; I feel so bad for all the blink-182 fans that have given him a bad rep... He is super nice.