DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker

Hello everyone! Love this forum. I'm usually a lurker and don't post but I thought I'd offer my quick comment here. First of all, I think this thread has gotten long enough. haha! I like Travis Barker, I do. He's a tight drummer... clean, etc. I like Blink OK but I'm not a big fan. I will say this, Travis Barker is no drum god. Watch his drum "solo" on Orange County's website and tell me how amazing it is. Just kidding. It's not. I didn't see alot of soloing there... just playing different beats and some other basic stuff. Anyone who thinks he's the greatest should expand their listening and check out some real drummers. Peace out.

bill
Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 AM

im not even bothering to read all of this there is way too much
but no matter what anyone says bad about travis..
look at how many pages this thread has...
he is doing something right.

and by the way matt.... nice name.... ~_~
Old 04-06-2006, 06:26 AM

If you are wondering why Travis is known for his rudiments, there is only ONE VIDEO to see of him and that is when he played "There Is" live at the Jay Leno Show with Box Car Racer back in aorund 2002 or so. If you HAVEN'T seen this video do not judge him on any other videos of his rudiments. This video will blow you away.

P.S. It's funny to read how all the administrators think they can play Travis's songs. Maybe "All The Small Things," but I can bet anything you can't play "There Is" live.. hahah
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
P.S. It's funny to read how all the administrators think they can play Travis's songs. Maybe "All The Small Things," but I can bet anything you can't play "There Is" live.. hahah
I'm glad you had a nice chuckle, but Nutha Jason is the only Admin who said that he covers one of Blink's songs. If you think it's funny that Nutha Jason is an actual gigging drummer and not a Travis fan-boy, then you have quite a way to go. Stick to your drumming, kiddo.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:24 AM

No, I wasn't talking about him. And I'm not trying to "make fun" of any of you. I read a post about one of you administrators, degrading Travis and calling his drumming weak (or using a metaphore that was basically calling it weak). I just think it's funny how someone could say that. That's all.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
No, I wasn't talking about him. And I'm not trying to "make fun" of any of you. I read a post about one of you administrators, degrading Travis and calling his drumming weak (or using a metaphore that was basically calling it weak). I just think it's funny how someone could say that. That's all.
As I said, there are only two Admins here. Neither of us has degraded Travis, and neither of us has called his drumming "weak." I think it's funny how someone keeps repeating themselves when they are clearly mistaken. Stick to the subject at hand, please.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?

No, he means that no matter what the style of music you are playing, you should bring the highest levels of musicianship to the table. At the time he wrote that book, rock bands like Steely Dan, Toto, Journey, Chicago et. al. were all popular, and all had very famously great drumming. Mr. Dowd himself can shred a drumset! I don't want to speak for Mr. Dowd, but having learned from him personally, I would say that MY disdain for Barker's playing stems from the sameness of his strokes and beats, and overall unmusical feel

(to bring it back on topic, feel free to remove if too off topic)
Old 04-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Pioneer Member

on listening to some blink tracks i can see what stu is saying. the drums often seem to be their own seperate entity and not really involved enough with the rest of the music. the only exception i can find to this is the slightly beat-skipped snare in "all the small things". other thna that, it seems he keeps to his own thing for most of the songs.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 PM

Whether his grooves are musical or not is very debatable. Here is a small sample that shows what I like from him, and by the same token actually what others may dislike…

0-20s Nice opening tom groove.

20s-40s More conventional groove. He inserts some ride accents through the washy hi-hat. Again, I like it, but could be judged overplayed by others.

40s-56s Nice hi-hat work

1.15 - 1.23 Open rolls in the groove. Pretty tight, and fits well IMO

1.33 Back to the tom groove. I think adding the second hi-hat gliss was too much here…

Quite a lot of stuff going on in that sample. Overplayed ? May very well be to some ears. But in many portions of that small sample, he is actually holding most of the song all by himself… The guy is trying pretty hard to come up with new stuff, and I would guess he is fairly aware of the "rules" he sometimes breaks while doing so. This "boldness" fits pretty well the essence of what I think punk rock should be all about anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 sample_not now.mp3 (2.41 MB, 639 views)
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Stu_Strib

Shuffle, that was neither the worst nor the best example I've ever heard, but thanks for breakin' in down the way you hear it.

I liked the hit hat groove part. The rest was too much for me (oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.

The tom stuff is just tooo toooooo tooooooooooo much.

I like the hi-hat glisses, but like you said, a bit too much the second time around.

The open rolls in the groove seem completely out of place, a sort of after thought. It seems the normal beat was just too boring for him. Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

Anyone else care to comment?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
(oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.
Yeah, that part is fine. But could the song work if he kept it plain that way all along ?

Of course, he spices it A LOT, often too much for my own taste. I chose that song specifically because, in that case, I think the answer is no.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

Not sure ghost notes work so well within the dynamics of the genre...
Old 04-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher
Not sure ghost notes work so well within the dynamics of the genre...
i know at the beginning of "Feeling This" he uses ghost notes. so it kinda works. but anyway, i think the song wouldnt be as good without all the extra stuff. i think thats what makes it a little bit better than all the other punk/rock songs
Old 04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Shuffle, that was neither the worst nor the best example I've ever heard, but thanks for breakin' in down the way you hear it.

I liked the hit hat groove part. The rest was too much for me (oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.

The tom stuff is just tooo toooooo tooooooooooo much.

I like the hi-hat glisses, but like you said, a bit too much the second time around.

The open rolls in the groove seem completely out of place, a sort of after thought. It seems the normal beat was just too boring for him. Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

everything you hate about his playing is what i love... i cant get enough of his busy drumming...it dosnt sound out of place to me... just my opinion..its all taste anyway..
Old 04-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Pioneer Member

hey, what happened to the post count for this thread.. its down to like 300 somethign.. was around mid 400s....????
Old 04-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker Sticks

when i played in a punk band i used these, almost impossible to break. I liked the thick and powerful feel but they seemed lighter than other sticks of the same thickness.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Pioneer Member

there was prbably too many "travis is teh roxorzz" posts.
my favourite drumming of travis' is probably "man overboard".
simple but effective.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:33 PM

here is a good article on Travis, and what he hopes to accomplish in the next 5-6 years

http://www.drummagazine.com/html/mod...ticle&sid=1131
Old 04-08-2006, 12:44 AM

okay, first off, i dont want any trouble or to get into any arguements. let me just say that i am 16 and have been playing drums for 6 years, and Travis was one of my major influences when i was starting out, and i really didnt even like blink 182 that much. But after i had been playing for about two years, i started to get bored with some of his stuff. I started looking at a lot more technical players like buddy, steve gadd, dave weckl, vinnie, neil peart etc and started to play a lot more of their stuff. ever since i started to play their stuff my playing has improved greatly, and i am much more inspired to play drums. Travis is a great drummer, but i have to agree that he is much over rated among teen drummers like myself. He is big, fast(not really) loud and flashy, whichc is perfect for a lot of people, just not me.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer
okay, first off, i dont want any trouble or to get into any arguements.
Hey man, don't worry about that. What you find about this forum that's different from the rest is that drummerworld doesn't really argue, it discusses. And you get to do it with good guys. Also nobody has to "get over it" about anything as long as they can make a good point or two. That's why I like it here.

This includes Travis. And when real flaming goes on, it's stopped pretty quick. This is a very civilized group. It's not like some of those crazy sights you see all over the net where people just go insane on each other and nobody stops it.

The other thing about this forum I like are the number of very smart people here. You can learn alot if you let yourself be taught. But more important than that, there are alot of very hot pro drummers here including some famous ones. So this forum including the videos is really educational.

When some guys come on here for the first time and take on a vibe assuming that we don't get stuff or we can't follow Travis's blazing rudiments, or how one of the newer guys thought it was funny that somebody on drummerworld would think they could play "There Is," then the joke's really on them. Here, there are alot of guys who can and do and don't need to impress anybody.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Stu_Strib

Hey Buccaneer, welcome to the forum. Thank you for some perspective on this issue. I for one, am glad that Travis got you into drumming, and I'm also glad you've sought to move on to other, more developed styles of drumming!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
Whether his grooves are musical or not is very debatable. Here is a small sample that shows what I like from him, and by the same token actually what others may dislike…

0-20s Nice opening tom groove.

20s-40s More conventional groove. He inserts some ride accents through the washy hi-hat. Again, I like it, but could be judged overplayed by others.

40s-56s Nice hi-hat work

1.15 - 1.23 Open rolls in the groove. Pretty tight, and fits well IMO

1.33 Back to the tom groove. I think adding the second hi-hat gliss was too much here…

Quite a lot of stuff going on in that sample. Overplayed ? May very well be to some ears. But in many portions of that small sample, he is actually holding most of the song all by himself… The guy is trying pretty hard to come up with new stuff, and I would guess he is fairly aware of the "rules" he sometimes breaks while doing so. This "boldness" fits pretty well the essence of what I think punk rock should be all about anyway.
The hi hats are pretty sick he has some nice drumming in not now.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Gold Member

ya i like the drumming i not now. i think the tom thing is great for the song and i do like the roll thing in the chourus
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
on listening to some blink tracks i can see what stu is saying. the drums often seem to be their own seperate entity and not really involved enough with the rest of the music. the only exception i can find to this is the slightly beat-skipped snare in "all the small things". other thna that, it seems he keeps to his own thing for most of the songs.
i think thats what he tries to do.. i mean just think about it this way. would you rather have some bland beat playing over and over and a few interruptions for a chorus rhythm?
Or would you rather have a drum solo with a guitar and bass added in?
PS im no diehard travis fan, but i do respect the guys chops
Old 04-09-2006, 05:13 AM

What songs are you specifically talking about here, from my experience most of his stuff blends.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tree
What songs are you specifically talking about here, from my experience most of his stuff blends.
i dont know.. all of them are like mini solos. but yes most do blend very nicely
Old 04-09-2006, 06:00 AM

why do lots of people rag on him....if you dont like a drummer it doesnt mean you have to come in here and tell everyone why he is bad which is stupid because you have to be better than someone else to judge them which i GARUNTEE ( if thats how you spell it) that no one in here is a better drummer
Old 04-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis barkers #1 fan
why do lots of people rag on him....if you dont like a drummer it doesnt mean you have to come in here and tell everyone why he is bad which is stupid because you have to be better than someone else to judge them which i GARUNTEE ( if thats how you spell it) that no one in here is a better drummer
Since Stu has been taking up some of the slack for these answers, I will try to help out if I can.

Again, I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but this is the drummerworld site. Not some crazy sight from the dark side of the Internet. Drummers are discussed on these threads from all sides so we can all be better drummers. Travis is always an interest and bringing up somethin' negative doesn't mean anybody hates the guy.

Of course, a person with the right ability to see detail, can judge ANY other drummer . Also this person doesn't even have to be a drummer. If they have a good knowledge they can judge. I mean look man, you probably have ideas about movies or television shows. But it doesn't mean you know how to make one.

And about your guarantee, I really don't think you can do anything of the kind. As I said in my last Travis post, there are some monster players on this forum that I have alot of respect for. I think there are probably several drummers on this forum with Barker's talent or skill, and there are probably a handful of more skilled ones. And I think its time some of his fans on this thread were told this and tried to get that. He's really good and very entertaining, but the drum world is a great big place.

And before anybody makes the challenge, nobody has to shuffle out a video of themselves to prove their point on these fan issues. You see people use that as a comback on these fan threads and maybe its time that some just draw the line on that by not responding to it. All that ever happens is that the fan people pick it apart anyway even if it was the second coming of Tony Williams.

I'm sorry to get a little irritated, but I guess I am. Everytime this stuff shows up, it looks like everybody our age is like this and they're not. And I bet all of you are nice guys, but I just wished you would listen to more music. Travis is a good musician, but I'm starting to get what some of the others are sayin' about this blind fan stuff coming from guys who have only heard a tiny bit of the whole picture of music. Man, why don't you hang around awhile, check out some threads on some other subjects and try to learn to respect these people before you come on here all puffed up.

Last edited by mattsmith; 04-09-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Stu_Strib

Thanks Matt. Since I just can't make these guys understand the difference between criticism and hate, I'll just let them keep thinking the way they do. Obviously they don't read the previous posts with any type of critical thinking skills.

By the way, there are plenty of drummers on here better than Barker. Unfortunately, none of them are as FAMOUS as Travis Barker, which is the whole point I've tried to make in this thread.

Instead of bickering about it, why won't more people just post audio files then comment about what is good and bad about the piece? I find this much more constructive.

Last edited by Stu_Strib; 04-09-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom
Travis is a good, well trained drummer, that's all. End of story.

He is just more popular among non drummers (and young drummers who were non drummers :D ) than, for example Billy Cobham (who is, no doubt, genious)...

Actually I liked what Bernhard sayed in some of his posts... (not precisely what he sayed, something like that)''if people start playing drums because of him that is good!'' They eventually sooner or later will go into complicated stuff
Travis Barker is a disaster . He is a very ignorant , poor in your grooves and solos and your music is #$@#$ . True rock'n roll drummers is John Bonhan , Chad Smith , Tré Cool , Ian Paice , Neil Peart , John Dolmayan and others . Not Travis .
Old 04-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Two other samples... I'm trying to stay away from the obvious songs...

I like the first one. Not an easy song to build a drum part on, and I think he made a fine effort. I like the cross-stick portion, and he introduces a good groove at 0.50s, nice hi-hat/snare combination. A good fit.

He sorts of recycle that same groove idea on sample 2. There was a previous comment in the thread mentionning that he sometimes seems to play by himself, not listening to the tune. I think it is pretty much one of these here. Doesn't blend very well in my opinion, and draws too much attention to him.

He often comes up with great stuff, and not being a very fast drummer, I admire his ability to play along all the fast tempo stuff. Among punk-rock drummers, I think he stands very well. But you'll NEVER catch one of the many great studio players sounding so out-of-place in a song as he does in sample 2.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 sample1.mp3 (1.42 MB, 588 views)
File Type: mp3 sample2.MP3 (393.2 KB, 598 views)
Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Stu_Strib

Yes track two is another Groove Killer for sure. The last 2 seconds are what I would expect for the song though.

Track 1 is a nice little reggae feel, maybe a little drum 'n bass sounding.

Thanks for the clips...never heard the Transplants before.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:33 PM

Stu, lets just face the..."music" shall we?

When jazz drummers get creative, it flows beautifully and is oh-so 'musical', is it not?

When rock drummers get creative - whoopsidaisy, they just 'killed' the groove. Damn. And by the way, that phrase 'groove killer' is so unbelievably lazy and dismissive - you kinda need to qualify just why a fill kills a groove, and don't forget, Travis creates those grooves that he later 'kills', so what, is his drumming suicidal?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Stu_Strib

"Groove Killer" is borrowed from Tommy Igoe. It is neither lazy nor dismissive. Actually, if you understood my reference to Tommy Igoe, it would show you possessed a broad based experience in drumming.

"Groove Killer": It is any type of beat that is misplayed technically, or applied in the wrong situation. Most technical groove killers are commited by new drummers who don't know better. Things such as flaming the hands when hitting them together is correct (like 8ths on the hi hat and snare on 2 and 4). Playing with a bad sense of time or playing really tasteless parts that don't fit the song is another groove killer that pertains here.

Dead horse has been beaten, however, the groove in #2 doesn't fit the music, as it is too busy and shreiks "LOOK AT ME CUZ I'M REALLY BORED!" There is nothing technically wrong with his playing (although I did post a bunch of songs with tempo issues).

And for the record, I'm not a jazz drummer, so I guess you applied the wrong stereotype to the wrong drummer.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
When jazz drummers get creative, it flows beautifully and is oh-so 'musical', is it not?

When rock drummers get creative - whoopsidaisy, they just 'killed' the groove.
Nope. Jazz drummers are quite capable of killing grooves too. Go watch some locally, you'll probably see a fair bit of it. And rock drummers are capable of being creative without killing grooves too - look at Matt Chamberlain or Tim Alexander. Creative, flowing and musical.

This isn't a jazz-vs-rock thing, it's a drumming well versus not drumming well thing. And I'd tend to think those two clips below are an example of both.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:20 AM

Hahaha what the heck? Can't believe you guys think Travis's Latin influence, half time feel beat in DJ DJ (yes, that is the name of "sample #2) is a groove killer. Some people here criticize the "travis rulez" people of not expanding their listening base,but, however I see that some of you are so into everything except Travis that you mock his progressive beats/style that is giving him publicity in every other page in Modern Drummer, Drum Magazine, MTV, Fuse, Z TIMES, etc,etc, etc,... the list goes on.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Travis gets publicity every other page in magazines because he sells stuff. Lots of American kids with plenty of parentally-sourced money to spend buy stuff because Travis Barker endorses it. Look at OCDP and tell me that success story was one of merit. What you don't seem to realise is that magazines need to sell too. If they put Travis Barker in the mag, kids who love Travis Barker buy the mag. Then they can say to the advertisers that kids who like Travis Barker buy the mag and the advertisers will give them five-figure sums to take out regular full-page adverts to convince said kids to buy their latest drum/stick/whatever that Travis happens to use. That keeps the magazine in business, and lets them write about the stuff that they really, really want to bring to the fore in the industry. Or it just keeps them in business, if they're a lazy mag with nothing to say.

Now, none of that actually reflects on his merits as a drummer at all. He could be the next Milli Vanilli for all these people care - it's just business.

Personally I think Travis is a good drummer. Nothing earth-shaking, but he's capable and entertaining. Thumbs up from me. But I do find he's a bit over the top at times, and I don't think his playing shows much sign of musical maturity. But since he's playing to the teenage market I don't honestly think that hurts him any in terms of how his audience appreciates him.

What *does* rile me is when people start trying to hold him up as some kind of paragon of drumming virtue over the vast majority of guys on DrummerWorld. OK, so he's a good player. But really, the only reason he gets so much adulation is because of his background and image, rather than his ability. The only reason he's better loved than even other drummers for big-name pop groups (like, say, Aaron Spears - or indeed anybody who has played a live gig with Beyonce, Destiny's Child, the Spice Girls etc over the years) is because he's a punk drummer, and punk is cool with the teenagers. There's no way he'd be getting all this attention if he was playing offside with a pop/r&b act, because teenage boys would rather be seen dead than admit they went to see Beyonce so they could watch the drummer play.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Pioneer Member

im gonna disagree with the punk being more popular than rap/ r and b... while there may be more people into drumming in the punk genre there are definitly more fans of rap and r&b than punk music..
Old 04-10-2006, 07:17 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsMcGee
im gonna disagree with the punk being more popular than rap/ r and b... while there may be more people into drumming in the punk genre there are definitly more fans of rap and r&b than punk music..
That's true, but who cares about the drummers? Even the more well-known producers are still relatively unknown by the majority of people who buy the music, and most hip-hop/r&b acts aren't bands as such and don't have a full-time drummer. They have sidemen they hire. And in all honesty, even as a drummer I'd be hard pressed to name which particular guy is working for which particular act on a given tour.

I mean, seriously. Name a hip-hop drummer who's actually in an act people have heard of. I'll get you as far as ?uestlove...

As such the hip-hop/r&b guys don't tend to sell as many drum kits or signature sticks to young players. It's just the way things go. Punk is the popular "band style" with the kids these days. So it should be fairly unsurprising that a punk guy will get a lot of love and attention from that direction.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 AM

finnhiggins you have a good point

but i've seen some weird and crazy stuff he's done that will never be seen on MTV or any "big" concert

for example- his snare technique in the live version of "there is" at the jay leno show, and i've seen him play a intricated but catchy technique based beat in "i miss you" live in some European show

i think the problem is that since blink-182 is/was a big catchy pop-punk band, everyone bases travis's drumming off of that- for example- when the show "cribs" is on MTV and "the rock show" is played in the back ground, or "all the small things" people bass his drumming off of that

i've seen him live in two guitar center drum offs as a special guest and thats where he pulls out more challenging drumming

and another thing, travis can't control how much publicity he gets, he has a very professional attitude, and he never critcizes anyone and he is very quiet in person, just because he gets a lot of attention doesn't necessarily mean he brags about it