DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.
To me that all depends upon WHO's doin the solo....

Anywayz Travis is an alright drummer BUT - hmmm it pays to be popular I guess....I'll just leave it at that....Dude has got some serious space between the snare and the top of his hi-hats...personally I like no more than about 6 inches of space.....
Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 PM

i can see why some people dont like him but they dont search for stuff about him and his music style he is really good a technical beats because he is primarily a hip hop style drummer and actually just cuz he isnt the fastest drummer in the world doesnt mean he isnt faster than every single person in this forum ... well thats all i have to say
Old 04-01-2006, 09:54 PM

i think he is a great drummer, why theres so many haters on this forum???,people stop HATING,when you guys get to play in in a band like blink and get famous you can talk bs about it, for now just stop hating........
REMO
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20270
Old 04-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Stu_Strib

Hey eddrummer, if you read the previous posts, you'll see most of our contempt is aimed at comments like yours....who cares how famous someone is? It doesn't mean squat about your skill.

Paris Hilton is famous, and for what again? Oh yeah, famous because she's popular. Why is she popular? Oh yeah, because she's rich and famous..

See, it gets us nowhere saying how much fame or money someone has when we are talking about DRUMMERS on a DRUM FORUM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:07 PM

Yeah, and half of these responses are to people who get off topic (like me right now).

Personally, I think Travis Barker is the only really talented member of Blink 182; they don't interest me much, and Travis seems to be lightyears away from the rest of Blink 182. (I'm off topic again........)

Can anyone agree that Travis Barker is a relatively good drummer who happens to receive a little too much attention for his drumming? I can.

- Marc
Old 04-02-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Can anyone agree that Travis Barker is a relatively good drummer who happens to receive a little too much attention for his drumming? I can.
Yes I agree.I think he does exactly what he needs to do for the band he is in and he does it well.

"16th notes...WHOOOOOH I like that" - Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Old 04-02-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat
Yes I agree.I think he does exactly what he needs to do for the band he is in and he does it well.
Damn straight? Why the controversy? I'll never know.........This thread may never end.

- Marc
Old 04-03-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
Funny everyone says how people will eventually grow out of Travis when they hear all the old jazz greats. When I first started drumming, I really wanted to be awed by the 'best' drummer, so I checked out Buddy Rich's solo's, of course. Although initially the sheer speed was impressive, the effect wore off quickly, because speed can only do so much, but then I saw Travis's solo's, and they were played with energy and agression, and it did it for me. I still haven't got bored of Travis's playing...
couldn't have said it better myself. i LOVE his energy and passion. and, I do enjoy listening to blink 182's music. for bands, it's not necessarily always about playing the hardest stuff possible to be "good". at least, not in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLesage
couldn't have said it better myself. i LOVE his energy and passion. and, I do enjoy listening to blink 182's music. for bands, it's not necessarily always about playing the hardest stuff possible to be "good". at least, not in my opinion.
i agree with both of you... it seems to people when you say you like travis everyones like "you must be new to drumming" or "go check out some real drummers" .. well i have, and ive liked travis well before he got famous and all these tv shows..and ive been playing drums for years and ive checked all the greats, and i still choose travis as my fav.. hes got passion and energy, speed, and originalliy.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 AM

First of all, all of you who degrade Travis in anyway make me sick. I can see how you think he is a drugged out, stuck up celebrity, but that is not him. All of you who just watch his television show and listen to Take Off Your Pants and Jacket most likely think he is a jerk who isn't very good. If you were fortunate to see him at this years Guitar Center's Drum off 2006, you would have been impressed. For one, he played maybe 1 or two fills that were fast. His other work was comprised of medium-tempoed, irregular patterns played on a simple set up: snare, hi-hat, two crashes, floor tom, cowbell, and a picolo tom. He played very impressive off- beat rhythms with the cowbell and the simple set up. Ten minutes later, he moved off the drum set onto a marching snare and did a twenty minute snare duet with Adrian young (No Doubt) compirsed off very fast sixteenth and thirty second notes filled with flams in the most unique and complicated ways, along with odd metered measures with some challenging rolls.

Moreover, my point is that drumming is an art; not a competition. Yes, bands compete for money,fame, etc, but when you are discussing an art, like drumming, you do not critisize. When you take it to that extent, you take out the fun of the art. If you ask 1,000 drummers to play the same beat, you will hear 1,000 different versions of the beat. Just because Travis doesn't play like Gadd, doesn't mean you have to say "OMG i hate travis barker because he plays all fast." For one, he doesn't play "all fast," for you completely ignorant people out there. His technique is quite fulfilled, as he uses the Moeller technique quite well. Better yet, he idolizes drummers like Gadd. Secondly, for all of you who think his "technique is horrible" (i.e., reaching off his seat to his toms, hitting too hard, etc.) you are quite mistaken. The reason he comes off his seat is for emotional reasons; it is proof he loves to play the drums ( an art, not a competition remember?). And, oh yeah, who ever said that Gadd and Rich ( I'm not critisizing these two, I idolize them both) play rudiments with feel rather than just as a "rudiment," and who said Travis has horrible technique because he "comes off his seat," you are contradicting yourself my friend. He comes off the seat, as I previously said, for emotional reasons, and feel. As Charles Dowd said, "drumming is what you make it," and Travis resembles that quote pretty good. For those who critisized Travis on the video where he is playing the military-like snare rolls, give me a break. Do you think he was playing in front of Gadd or in a drum off crowd of 5,000 people? Please, it was in front of Mark Hoppus; he was fooling around and he probably didn't even know he was being filmed. He was not playing to his full extent obviously.

Moreover, for those of you who think I'm "completely obssessed" with Travis are extremely wrong. Yes, I idolize him, along with Danny Carey, Virgil Donati, Gadd, and hundreds of others. The reason I wrote so much was because I was so sick and tired of you guys ragging on an extremely talented drummer based on albums like 'Enema of the State." If you ever take the time to listen to a Box Car Racer cd, that is where Travis plays more technically challenged songs compared to songs like "Man Overboard." And again, if you think Travis is "overrated and horrible," please, give me a break; Why is he going to add a thirty second note parididdle-type fill with accents in odd places in a studio song? Travis plays to fit the music, and he does it very well. If you want to see Travis play his drums, check him out at a drum off, or a concert maybe- not a CD or old screw around video that was put out 3-10 years ago.

If you are going to reply to this with cussing and by degrading me in any way, please save your time. I'm not bashing on any of you at all, I'm just giving my opinion on a very talented drummer that is apart of a world of great drummers. However, if you plan on critisizing what I said in any negative way, I feel sorry for you because you have taken the fun out of the art of drumming.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWDrummer
First of all, all of you who degrade Travis in anyway make me sick... if you plan on critisizing what I said in any negative way, I feel sorry for you ...
Welcome to the forum. Please check your attitude. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 AM

Sorry for the rudeness, that came out wrong. Believe me I'm not trying to degrade anyones opinion, but it bugs me when people make a negative opinion about Travis just after seeing him play a song like "Man Overboard."
Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Pioneer Member

i don't like him at all, but it's mostly because of the music. not necessairly his playing. it's hard to sit through those songs, lol.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
As Charles Dowd said, "drumming is what you make it,"

Moreover, for those of you who think I'm "completely obssessed" with Travis are extremely wrong. Yes, I idolize him,
I think I may be the only one who knows who you are talking about here.

I can assure you that Dr. Dowd despises Travis Barker type drummers. I know, because I used to be one, and I really got the stink eye from him for it.

And am I the only one who thinks "completely obsessed" and "idolize" are kinda the same thing?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:23 AM

Stu_Strib-

You have a good point.

When I said obsession, I was referring to as if I only listened to Travis.

With idolizing, I meant I respect what he is doing and see it as an inspiration...

As far as Charles Dowd, not liking Travis's "type," please elaborate if you could.

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Stu_Strib-

You have a good point.

When I said obsession, I was referring to as if I only listened to Travis.

With idolizing, I meant I respect what he is doing and see it as an inspiration...

As far as Charles Dowd, not liking Travis's "type," please elaborate if you could.

Thanks.
Are you talking about Charles Dowd, who wrote Funky Primer and teaches at the Universty of Oregon? If so, then yeah, I knew him fairly well, and he is a rather elite style drummer. He doesn't have much time or patience with pop rock musicians.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Yes, I am. Thanks for the reply. I would like to talk to you one on one about this if you have time; send me a message if you want to. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Stu_Strib

Sure, I pm'd you. I don't think invoking Charles Dowd will earn you much credit on this board though, since not too many people know who he is.

~stu
Old 04-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Okay thanks, I replied.

This question I would like to be answered by the experienced Adminstrators rather than one sided musicians. In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
This question I would like to be answered by the experienced Adminstrators rather than one sided musicians. In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?
It's hard to answer that question based on a paraphrase of his original statement. If I could read the actual quote, taken in the original context, then I would be happy to give you my impression of whether or not he was contradicting himself.

DW, I would like to point out that this conversation is getting off topic. The purpose of this section of the forum is to discuss specific drummers, and the purpose of this thread is to discuss Travis Barker. If you'd like to PM someone, there's no need to mention it here, and if you'd like to start a discussion about a new subject, please feel free to start a new thread in the proper forum section. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM

Ok sorry- my bad. Anyway, the original content of that quote can be found in the last pages of The Funky Primer by Charles Dowd.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 PM

Travis Barker is so awsome at drums he like has his style down just right and he has a great soundin snare 2
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Travis Barker Sticks

i love these sticks they are so great if you do to tell me about y u like them
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Travis Barker Sticks

I love them,they are almost perfect weight/size BUT they leave white marks on everything and I don't like wood tips.For those reasons I don't use them.If they released a Travis Barker stick with a natural finish and nylon tips I would use them forever.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat
I love them,they are almost perfect weight/size BUT they leave white marks on everything and I don't like wood tips.For those reasons I don't use them.If they released a Travis Barker stick with a natural finish and nylon tips I would use them forever.
by the vic buddy richs, they are almost the same stick, but they dont break and chip as easy
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Just noticed something about Travis Barker

I just checked back about ten pages on the "Drummers" page and I noticed that Travis Barker has the most comments at 433 and the most views with almost 15,000. Closest to that came John Bonham with 387 comments and about 9,300 views.
This is not a pro or contra Travis Barker, just noticed that the guy creates quite a buzz, at least on this forum.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Just noticed something about Travis Barker

joey jordison is also very discussed.

312 replies and 16240 views.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-03-2006, 11:31 PM

Of course, the difference is Bonham hasn't been around for the last 26 years and he is still much discussed and revered. A bit more impressive, I'd say.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM

omg it is so amazing how beautifully this sticks r designed weight length width ,i will admit the white marks r annoying
Old 04-04-2006, 12:46 AM

it puts white marks on your drums? what if im using like white coated heads on the drums? im looking for a good stick since my nice zildjian dipped ones broke.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Gold Member

ya i like using them for just snare drum stuff such as at school in band, but i dont like playing with them on my drumset because the white marks on cymbals
Old 04-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Pioneer Member

Yes, Travis Barker is a popular guy.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 PM

i loved them too, but all the white paint is more than i can stand. try the vater power 5A, its the same exact stick with no paint on it.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Pic? i never seen em b4.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinBaRkerDennis13
by the vic buddy richs, they are almost the same stick, but they dont break and chip as easy
Thanks,I will give them a try!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer
Pic? i never seen em b4.

You can also get the ones with the mallet on the end for like $20

Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

What're you people talking about? I hated these sticks, I thought they were worthless, they were made out of like nothing. Maybe the reason they were so flexible and fast was the fact that they were made out of nothing. They broke easier than heck and the tips chipped like crazy, It turned into a box shaped tip instead of a circle shape, and it also made nice white marks all over. I thought they were junk.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:05 PM

I also recommend Vater Power 5A...They're just as long, but skinnier..
Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Iv been reading a lot of these posts and quite frankly, all the travis critics can go take a hike. A different expression would have been preffered but hey its a multi age forum. The guys is a great drummer. Deal with it. Every drummer is different. Travis isn't Buddy Rich or Steve Gadd. If he played Buddy Rich or Gadd-esque licks in songs superbly well you guys would just say he's un-original. Originality is what he's best at and he plays what fits the song. Thats what a good drummer does. If he got asked to play on a Paul Simon track I'm sure we would all be blown away.

And as for the videos, does any of the featured clips say "Here is Travis playing to the best of his ability on a drum pad' or 'Here is Travis playing the best solo he can possibly do, not a simple-ish solo that he knows will get 10,000 cheers from the crowd"? I didnt see anything along those lines so why are you assuming this. I previously was mis-interpreted as saying that eventually drummers will grow out of Travis's playing when the here the greats play.

I have been to see blink twice and it was mainly to see Travis in action. He hits the drums hard, he hits them fast and he's a great showman. Why is this a problem? People like to see cool things when they watch a band (bands he's played in anyway) i.e. standing up to hit toms etc.

Drumming is supposed to be fun. If I got the choice to go on stage and play Steve Gadd's 'Crazy Army' or go rock out for 90mins in a punk rock band I know what i'd choose. But then I'd be dissected by all the guys who are drumming's equivilent to guys who go to online gaming clubs on a saturday night.

This is in no way a dig at Steve Gadd but what would be the better show:

Blink 182 with Travis on drums or Blink 182 with Steve Gadd on drums? Travis hands down.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 PM

Just watch the video of his rudiments and then try to tell people he isnt as good as people say he is or that he doesnt live up to his ego... he has amazing talent, perfect sticking and control. Maybe you dont like the music he plays, thats just by opinion, <b>but im sure he could play jazz and funk just as well as he plays what he does</b>