DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 07-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Default SNARE TUNING

k, so everytime i hit my small rack tom, it makes the snare wires buzz. how do you tune the small rack tom, or snare, so that doesnt happen?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: tuning drums so snare doesnt buzz

There's really not much you can do about it, I find. Because sound is made of of waves of vibration, you can't really stop it without stopping the sound. They vibrate because of the waves and if you set them so they can't vibrate, then they can't vibrate when you actually hit the snare drum. However, Puresound has designed a set of snares with a large gap in the middle that helps to calm the complimentary tones. I bought a set and it really helped the overall sound of my snare.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 AM

you could always tape the snare wire, but then it would be a pain if you wanted to turn the snare off.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:03 AM
Pioneer Member

rudy mcrudster, you make a good point about the vibrations and waves, ill have to look into those puresound wires

speedy, i have thought of taping the snares, but like you said then you wouldnt be able to let them down

i think the buzz might have to do with how tight the resonant head of the snare is, how tight the wires are, and how high tuned the tom is. i guess i just need to fool around with it a little bit.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:23 AM
drummerboy898

what I did and it seemed to work, is first i placed electrical tape on the snare batter head to stop some of the resonating and also what u can do is take the snares off on ur snare drum and see how similarly the tones are on the snare drum to the tom that is making it ring. This is usually the problem. Try tunin one higher or lower than the other so when u hit it its not makin the same resonating tone. That helped me. And if that doesnt work tune the bottom head of the snare drum tighter for less ring. Hope that helped!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Administrator Emeritus

G-MaN91, the easiest thing to do is to hit each of the other drums one at a time, hard and soft, and figure out which one is causing the sympathetic vibrations. Then you can adjust the tuning of that one drum. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Another thing that sometimes works is to put a piece of tape or paper somewhere between the snare wires and the snare head. You'll have to experiment a bit with thickness and placement, but what you are trying to do is make it so that a stick striking the top head will cause the snares to rattle, but just a vibration in the kit won't be enough.

Also, try tuning the snare head down a bit and the top head up a bit to compensate and get you basically the same sound that you had; conversely, tuning the snare head up and the top head down might work, too. What this will do is cause the drum to vibrate less freely.

Some people also say that cable snares buzz less than wire snare, and also that a lighter weight snare head will buzz less than a stock head, but now we're talking money.

I hope this gives you something to work with.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Pioneer Member

drummerboy898 and DogBreath, thanks a bunch for the multiple solutions for this problem. i am definatly going to try these out, and im confident at least one will work. ive been getting this buzz forever and could never figure out how to get it away. ill post back saying if i had any luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator Emeritus

You're welcome. I should add that I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. I was ready to replace my top head anyway, and sure enough that took care of it for me.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Pioneer Member

My snare doesn't buzz alot I found that the tension on my snare strings wasn't tight enough after I played around with it, though it became much more less noticeable.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Senior Administrator

as a quick fix i twist one of the lugs down on the offending tom. but since i started using a 42 strand snare wire the problem is far less prevalent.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 AM
chadolen

Default Snare tuning, help!

I can't seem to get my snare tuning down. I really like that crack, pop, echo, piccolo sound. When I first bought my snare, it had that. When I started changing heads, especially my resonant head, I lost it. I tighten my snares really tight, as well as my bottom head. My batter head is a little looser. Am I doing this right. Please help me out. I would really appreciate it!

Chad Dulaney
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: Snare tuning, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadolen
I can't seem to get my snare tuning down. I really like that crack, pop, echo, piccolo sound. When I first bought my snare, it had that. When I started changing heads, especially my resonant head, I lost it. I tighten my snares really tight, as well as my bottom head. My batter head is a little looser. Am I doing this right. Please help me out. I would really appreciate it!

Chad Dulaney
Generally if I'm going for a tight snare sound with good response I do this:

Snare side head:

* Tune the head up evenly (without snares) until there's a pretty stable note (no flapping or buzzing) coming from the head.
* Install the snares
* Start tensioning the head *ignoring* the four lugs around the snare bed. Take the tension up until the head yields a nice high sound without any ugly overtones, rattling or choked sounds from the snares. The tighter the snare head goes the tighter you will need to make the snares to avoid buzzing - leaving those lugs loose lets you get the snares to dig into the head a bit easier without tightening the snare strainer up so much that you choke the drum.

Batter side:

* Nothing special - start by finger-tensioning each lug until each can go no further, sit the drum on the floor and try to get an even pitch at each lug. Tune in a star pattern (probably printed on the box for your heads if you buy Evans) around the lugs to make sure you don't stretch the head out in an uneven way.
* Keep tightening the drum up until I get the desired pitch.

After that...

* Adjust the snare strainer. Start with it totally slack and tighten it up while playing ghost strokes on the drum. Once the snares stop are "tight" with the sound without choking it then I stop.
* Add muffling to taste if required. I usually don't do this, I'd rather buy an expensive snare and not muffle it :)
Old 08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadolen
I really like that crack, pop, echo, piccolo sound.

Itighten my snares really tight, as well as my bottom head. My batter head is a little looser.
Well, thac crack and pop cames from the bottom head ;) it should be tuned higher than batter head

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Founder Drummerworld

just have no advise, but can throw in some:

Many drummers tighten the bottom head very high: Dennis Chambers, Danny Gottlieb, Dave Weckl

Some drummers loosen very low the bottom head: Thomas Lang, Josh Freese, John Blackwell, JoJo Mayer

Some drummers loosen the four lugs near the strings on the bottom head one turn...

Some drummers take away some lugs completely like Larrie Londin (greatest Sound on Snare ever with Elvis) and dampen a lot

I have good new experience with Remo Weatherking Powerstroke 3 coated for batter head: great Sound and absolutely no dampening needed.

Bernhard
Old 08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Administrator

my snare tuning is:
i crank both heads up high. no muffling. i have a 42 strand snare wire on the bottom head which i keep reasonably tight...just to where it barks but doesn't growl afterwards.
i use an aquarian high energy head on top. not too concerned with the make of the reso so long as it is thin and bright. generally on toms i tune the reso a little higher than the batter but on my snare i crank 'em both as high as i dare go. this is because i noticed that most live snares sound too low. but when you sit behind them they sound alright especially when played by themselves with out the band. so i got my roady a long time a go to hit it during sound check while i stood out front and then ran back and firth until i found the fron and back sound that suited me. my snare cracks through and rings but has a fat wire sound too.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Milo

Due to Nutha talking all about the 42 strand snares I immediately purchased a couple of sets. They.Sound.Awesome!!

I also have the snare side pretty tight and always have the snares snug.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Tuning the snare drum...

Hey all. This is my first post. Here's my problem. I have a really high tuned snare drum (think Travis Barker). I want to tune it down to make it warm and fat. But everytime I try its gets an ugly high ringing. Any suggestions on how you tune your snare drums are greatly appreciated.

BTW- The snare is a Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau. I have a Remo Emperor on the batter side and a stock head on the snare side.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tuning the snare drum...

For your problem I might try a different head. Maybe a coated power stroke 3 or Emperor X. But for tuning. If you tune both sides tight I would recommend that you remove some the tension from the bottom.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 PM

hey this is my first post to but i think i can help. if you had your snare tuned up that high chances are your batter is streched out and shot. i would replace the batter for shure emperer coated is a good choice. if you can also replace the side with a remo hazy. the sound you want probably calls for medium tention or a tad less on top head. so start with both heads at med tention then tighten or loosen the side only until you reach desired sound. remember a little ring adds a lot of charicter so put away the duct tape. hey i hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:40 AM

Thanks guys.....it sounds great.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Snare tuning!?

I have owned a Yamaha Manu Katché signature snare drum for about a year now, and all the combinations of tunings I have tried during this time did not totally please me. I have seen some old posts and discussions about this particular model of drum and it seems to serve a lot of people well. Personally I am a huge fan of Manu Katché and would like to closely achieve the same sound he has now. The only way I can really describe that sound is a "punchy ring." Some of you may know exactly what I am talking about and were successful in re-creating it. If so, tips and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. If it helps, the drum was purchased brand new and all parts (excluding the heads) are stock Yamaha (i.e. rims, snares, etc.). Thanks much!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:31 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Snare tuning!?

Check this out for more tuning advice http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/When you say "punchy ring" do you mean a deeper or lower pitched sound? What is it about the sound that you have now that isn't right? Also remember that the way his snare sounds on recordings may be different than a tone you could get in person because the snare isn't mic'd and doesn't have any EQ on it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Silver Member

Default Snare drum tuning

What's the best recommended tension for the snare drum?
My snare is tuned quite tight, which gives a very high pitch sound when the snare wires are off. So I was wondering about the differences when tuning the snare. High tension or low? or somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Snare drum tuning

Billy Ward has a snare tuning workshop on dwdrums.com (click). There he distinguishes between a "dee" and a "doo" tuning. I find that description very fitting.

It's a question of taste and purpose. I like the "dee" tuning very much...
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM

This is something that will come with your own trial and error. I like mine a few turns less than what I consider too tight, which IMO, chokes the drum. There is a certain "fatness" to the way I tune my snare. To me, an overtightened head (I'm assuming you're talking head tension) gets very irritating very fast. I guess that's why a lot of guys/girls possess a few snares so they can swap out the entire drum for whatever application they feel works best. When I was younger, like 18-20 something, I think I had a tendency to have mine too tight, which comes from my marching snare days.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike St.Clair
This is something that will come with your own trial and error. I like mine a few turns less than what I consider too tight, which IMO, chokes the drum. There is a certain "fatness" to the way I tune my snare. To me, an overtightened head (I'm assuming you're talking head tension) gets very irritating very fast. I guess that's why a lot of guys/girls possess a few snares so they can swap out the entire drum for whatever application they feel works best. When I was younger, like 18-20 something, I think I had a tendency to have mine too tight, which comes from my marching snare days.
I have to add that for high pitched "pop" sounds, I have two sizes of side snare for that. My main snare has to be tensioned for a certain response, but a bit of fatness. I am adding grover pro stadium dark (bronze) snares to my ludwig classic maple. I want it to be distinctly darker and warmer than my ultracast.

Batter heads and snare wires will choke the sound if they are too tight. Always tune a snare drum with the snares off. Then tension bit by bit until you reach the sound you are after.

Again, I use different heads for different drums. I like the evans reverse pc or remo sude emperor batter, and hazy 300 snare side for maximum fatness, without losing much response.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM

Kind of funny, I use the Evans coated reverse dot snare batter too. I will say, I've never tuned my snare with the snare off though. Guess I've broken some cardinal rule there :)
Old 10-27-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Snare tuning!?

My process for tuning a snare has worked for me for about 20 years. I have always gotten a great snare sound whether i was using wood,brass or chrome. I use a coated remo emperor on the batter side and a standard snare head on the bottom. I crank the bottom head way up because that is where you get your pitch. Now crank the batter side up high also, but not to high. About a medium to high tension. Do not choke the snares, have the snares fairly loose so that you get a nice snary sound. You want the snares to be sensitive enough so that whether you are playing loud or soft you still get a good snare sound. I don't muffle the top head at all, so that there is still somewhat of a ring but not to much. This has always produced a nice versatile snare sound that really cuts through everything else. It gives you that pop sound when you need it or a more subtle sound when the music calls for it. Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Snare tuning .. NOOB HERE! NEED HELP!

Ok, I just bought a Gretsh Renown Maple Snare and replaced it with a Remo Emperor X head. What I usually do, is tighten everything (bottom/top head and snare tension.) to tune a snare and put duct tape and tissue paper on the head to kill unwanted noise and normal tape on the snare wires thing. Well, right now I want a very nice good loud sound out of my snare since it's my personal snare now .. Sounds that's really loud/cutting like Travis Barker, POD's drummer or any other famous chrisitian's band's drummer.

My friend told me to loosen the bottom head and snare tension but tight on the top head. Well, I've tried it, it sounds like I'm hitting a tin can.

Bad thing is, I've read sites like Drum Tuning Bible and I don't understand a single thing like low or high tone and stuff like that cause I'm a noob when it comes to tuning especially snare. I've got a talent show coming up this Saturday and I still don't know how to fix my snare. Please help guys! THANKS A LOT!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Snare tuning .. NOOB HERE! NEED HELP!

Try doing opposite of that, instead, tighten your resonant(bottom) head really tight, dont be afriad to get it tight, and tune the batter(top) head a little lower than the bottom, should have a nice crack. and with the snare tension, loosen it until the snares arent touching the head, then hit your drum constantly, gradually tightening the snares, when it reaches the right zone, you will know. : )

good luck, i hope i explained ok.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:30 AM

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/be...RODUCTION.html

Go down to video topic 3 and download it...The guy does a great job explaining tuning of a snare, etc.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
NaturalRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk3fan
Try doing opposite of that, instead, tighten your resonant(bottom) head really tight, dont be afriad to get it tight, and tune the batter(top) head a little lower than the bottom, should have a nice crack. and with the snare tension, loosen it until the snares arent touching the head, then hit your drum constantly, gradually tightening the snares, when it reaches the right zone, you will know. : )

good luck, i hope i explained ok.
Thats a great explanation!

Also, make sure you get the same tone and pitch on the edge of the heads all the way around....if possible.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 AM
Gold Member

Check my signature..
Old 10-30-2005, 04:22 AM

if your really in trouble, have your friend do it for you.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/be...RODUCTION.html

Go down to video topic 3 and download it...The guy does a great job explaining tuning of a snare, etc.
thanks to that link, i now know how to tune my snare quickly. and it sounds great!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Default snare tuning and drum dial info

I recently purchased a drum dial. I am not entirely profficient at tuning my drums so I thought It would be helpful. It has helped a lot. I am wondering if anyone knows where to find info on the drum dial settings for drummers like danny carey from tool..or carter beauford from the dave matthews band etc..Also I am still having a tough time with my snare drum. Batter is remo emperor X ..resonant is remo ambassdor ..I have found that when I crank my batter up to about 91 on the drum dial it feels good to play(91 being within the general guidelines of drum dial brochure)..but then the resonant seems to only want to crank up to about 85 and it starts to feel like there is too much pressure. Can I bring my resonant head up higher so as to get the drum in tune with itself? It feels like the resonant head is going to break if I tighten any further. or is the resonant head designed to crank down like that without breaking..I hope there is someone on here who has experience with a drum dial and might be able to help me out.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: snare tuning and drum dial info

If you had the drum dial settings to danny carey's or carter beauford's snare, it would do no good. Shell depths and sizes will have different effects on sound. Also even if you owned the same drums as carter or danny, drum shells have their own tone and resonance. You have to learn to rely on your ear more. The drum dial is supposed to used to get you in the neighbor hood of how you want your drums to sound and to be able to recreate the settings, or get even tension in the heads. The drum dial can't be counted on to perfectly tune your drums or make them sound like someone else's drums.

You shouldn't crank your heads to the point where you think they could break, in only shortens the lifecycle of your head. If you want a nice crack/pop sound tighten only the top head tight and the bottom head medium tight. Realize your top head will stretch out and needs to be replaced sooner.

If you want your snare to sound higher, try using an ambassador for the top head, or a 1ply head.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Default ringing snare

So, all of a sudden my snare is having this horrible overtone ringing sound whenever i hit it. Since it hasn't always done this, I'm assuming its a tuning problem, but have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any advice? I've tried loosening & tightening the snares, and both heads, but I can't get it to go away without completely flattening out my sound (when I loosened the bottom head). This is driving me crazy so I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

I already searched the archive and read the entire drum tuning thread. So, if the answer is out there already, please feel free to point me in the right direction, because I can't find it.

Thanks.
Steven
Old 12-23-2005, 05:27 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: ringing snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandion
I already searched the archive and read the entire drum tuning thread. So, if the answer is out there already, please feel free to point me in the right direction, because I can't find it.
"My snare rings"

"My ringing snare problem"

"Stop th eringing!"

"Snare ringing"

"New heads with no ring?"

And of course "The Snare Tuning Thread."

Are you sure you tried searching?
Old 12-23-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: ringing snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath

Are you sure you tried searching?