DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Default New Evans Torque drum key

I installed my new G2 coated heads today with the new Evans torque drum key. Its the best drum key I have ever used and recommend it as stocking stuffer for any drummer. At only $14.99 it torques the lugs exactly. Any one else you this product?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: New Evans Torque drum key

I bought it a long time ago, but never find myself using it because I can get my drums sounding just fine with just a regular drum key. But if it works for you, that's cool.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Pioneer Member

I use one for keeping my snare in tune. The rods loosen sometimes from rim shots. I have one set for that tension. Keep in mind that some rods/lugs may have a different amount of friction so the torque may be the same, but the actual tension may be different.

That said, I agree that it is a handy tool.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

Thank you for the drum tuning link. It does not matter what brand or price we pay. We never stop tuning for the holy drumming Grail.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

This is very true. And I never thought of that. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 AM

its great for quiet tuning up but i use it for that then tune it by hand for the pitches of the lugs to be the same
Old 12-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

I always heard good things about this Evans torque key. I might add it to my own christmas wishlist...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 AM

You should really use a regular key so you can learn how to tune your drum by ear. Having a good ear will help a lot more than having a key that has tension control which doesn't really factor in rusty or bent lugs.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

True. I use it just as a starting point. Then finish it of the old fashion way.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
You could do that too, but most of the pros use these types of keys or dials for a quick fix after many years of establishing good ears so don't be fooled.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
nhzoso

Well I just got mine and I am a little disappointed. The lowest setting seems to tight for everything but a snare. I set the dial to 1 and tightened my FT batter and it is way to tight. I don't like it at all. I paid $25 for it here at a local store (way to expensive by the way) and I hope they take it back and give me a refund.

Anyone else have this probelm or is it just me?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Are you sure your not reading the settings backwards? I have a torque key myself and the lowest setting is very loose, make sure you turn the dial all the way counter clockwise until it stops, then go from there.

I pretty much don't use mine anymore. I also have a drum dial that's collecting dust to. For me now it's a pitch pipe and my ears.

Good luck
Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
nhzoso

Ahhhh so it actually goes around twice. I did'nt realize that, just took it out of the package and set it to 2 and man it was tight. Still not sure I am going to use it all that much though. Seems it would be good for someone who owns a drum shop or something and just wants a quick tuning on a few kits.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

I've never used a torque key and my tuning skills are not very good. I guess I just don't have the ear for it. In order to use a torque key effectively, don't all the lugs need to be consistant? I have a some pretty old original hardware that I would prefer to keep, but getting these old slingerlands in perfect tune would be sweet.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM

This is the best drum gadget I have! The sole reason I bought it was to ensure even lug tension and after I used it for the first time, it transformed my snare sound. I would sincerely recommend it to anyone!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

I just got one. This key is money!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

I got one too.

The very moment I touched a lug, each drum instantly fell into perfect tune. It was like I had gained the "Midas Touch"; truly golden. From then on, like lacing up a set of $300 Jordans that make me jump 5 feet higher, the Torque Drum Key has made tuning so effortless, I don't even need to do anything anymore. In fact...I just got done cutting my ears off as they have become worthless and excessive folds of cranial skin...

I love "selling points". I have this bridge...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
nhzoso

I like mine but the way you guys are liking it, I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine?

First of all my Key does absolutely nothing from 0 to 5,(whats the point) plus when I am tuning I go through them in a star pattern at say 11 and then I go back and repeat it and there is always a few that turn a little more.. No big deal I know but then I go to 12 and a few of then don't turn at all while others turn almost a half?? Whats up with that?
Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I like mine but the way you guys are liking it, I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine?

First of all my Key does absolutely nothing from 0 to 5,(whats the point) plus when I am tuning I go through them in a star pattern at say 11 and then I go back and repeat it and there is always a few that turn a little more.. No big deal I know but then I go to 12 and a few of then don't turn at all while others turn almost a half?? Whats up with that?
I think if you have older drums (like I do) that may have dirty lugs from dust or anything else, it will not work correctly. If you take the drum apart and clean inside of where the tension rod goes it may work a lot better.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
I think if you have older drums (like I do) that may have dirty lugs from dust or anything else, it will not work correctly. If you take the drum apart and clean inside of where the tension rod goes it may work a lot better.
No the kit is brand new actually, and I always put a little bit of lithium grease on the threads when I change heads or do a complete re-tune
Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwill View Post
yeah, i totally agree with this comment.

It's just great to start off the tuning and to get it set up in the beginning to have the even tension. I have a lot of trouble getting the heads properly tuned at least in the ballpark for each tension rod. When I get 1-2 rods that are quite off from the other ones, it just gets so frustrating. With the Evans key at least i start off good and the fine tuning i can use a normal drum key to finish off the rest.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerson View Post
its great for quiet tuning up but i use it for that then tune it by hand for the pitches of the lugs to be the same
I do the same.. I also use the DrumDial in conjunction with the Torque key..talk about singin' drums!!! :D
Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

There's likely nothing wrong with it. The fact is, torque is not a good indicator of the drum head's tension. There are too many variables in how much friction there is at each tension rod, even if the drum is brand new, for the torque key to be accurate for everybody.

The fella that has his heads "fall into perfect tune" using a torque key is lucky, and rare. Most drummers who try the torque key end up disappointed with it.

The drum dial is a cut above the torque key because it actually measures the tension of the head. Still, there are so many variables there, too, that I've never heard a head tuned with the drum dial that couldn't be improved by ear.

Once you learn to tune by ear you get better results and you don't need all that stuff. The drum dial is best for quickly replicating a tuning you like at head-changing time. Then touch up the lug-to-lug tuning by ear.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I just got mine and I am a little disappointed. The lowest setting seems to tight for everything but a snare. I set the dial to 1 and tightened my FT batter and it is way to tight. I don't like it at all. I paid $25 for it here at a local store (way to expensive by the way) and I hope they take it back and give me a refund.

Anyone else have this probelm or is it just me?
Try oiling it, just a small drop where metal moves over metal. There is a small ball bearing inside that regulates the motion. Adjusting the tension setting presses or relaxes a screw under the ball bearing. Sewing machine oil, silicone spray lubricant, clean automotive engine oil, general purpose lubricant all work well. Avoid WD-40 for lubrication.

I have one of these and it comes in handy. A Drum Dial is preferable but you can stick the Evans key in your pocket. However, I rarely ever tune my drums anymore as I use www.tightscrew.com now. I only tune my drums when I want to change the sound, maybe a few times a year.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

[quote=Deathmetalconga;389869]Try oiling it, just a small drop where metal moves over metal. There is a small ball bearing inside that regulates the motion. Adjusting the tension setting presses or relaxes a screw under the ball bearing. Sewing machine oil, silicone spray lubricant, clean automotive engine oil, general purpose lubricant all work well. Avoid WD-40 for lubrication.

I have one of these and it comes in handy. A Drum Dial is preferable but you can stick the Evans key in your pocket. However, I rarely ever tune my drums anymore as I use www.tightscrew.com now. I only tune my drums when I want to change the sound, maybe a few times a year.[/QUOTI

Not familiar with tightscrew. I get that they hold the "screw", but the heads will always need "tweeking" as they age.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
nhzoso

Thanks,

It seems I thought it was screwy because I thought it was only 0-9. But after playing with it I now know it is 0-20. Also my snare top hoop is bent a little..aaarrggghhhh

I just tuned my Maple snare with it and it came out very well. I agree it's nice to get every lug to a certain point then make small adjustments with your ears.

It's official.... I love it : )
Old 06-14-2008, 04:23 PM

well this is going to sound really ridiculous but i just purchased an evans torque drum key and i can't figure out how to use it

i untune my heads entirely and i turn my dial to a specific number, say about 9. then i tighten my knob as per normal but i don't know when to stop. and after it does stop, how do i 'reset' it as it says on the instructions?

i've been tuning drums for years by ear but after hearing the wonders of this thing i decided to give it a try and i know i really sound like a newbie asking for help on what should be pretty self-explanatory but i'd really appreciate anybody who would entertain my query. thanks!