DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Default How to pick YOUR heads

Okay,so theres lots of threads on if specific heads are any good.But how do you pick the heads you want? Through internet research?Or experimenting? The last one is expensive.And unlike with cymbals you can hardly try before you buy. So any advice for someone who is buying new heads for the first time?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: How to pick YOUR heads

It's really a combination of research and experimentation. You have to take what you think you want for a sound (for now, lets say it's really open and warm), then you have to find which manufacturers sell those heads and what they're called (Evan's "Sound Spectrum" chart (found below) is good for this) (in this case it might be G1 coateds pr J1 etcheds). Then you just have to try them out, and if the sound doesnt fit you, figure out which way you want it to go (for example, if you wanted it to be slightly more focused) and do the same thing over again.

It is a rather expensive process, but if you do the right research, you'll find what you're looking for quickly. Also, as your concept of the sound you want changes, you'll want to change your heads around anyway, so it's just another expense.

http://evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13
Old 12-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Although i tend to prefer Remo heads more than other brands such as evans and aquarian, Evans is definitley the most helpful when deciding what to choose.

If you go on their site, they have a chart for tom heads, snare heads, and bass drum heads. Each tells you which kind of sound, whether you want an open sound, close, warm, or cool sound. Its really helpful.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Basically what it comes down to is this, for me:

1) Knowing the technical differences between what is out there, at least in a big-picture kind of sense - single ply, coated, different kinds of coatings (Fiberskyn, etc), different approaches to bonding/hoop muffling etc. Then figuring out roughly which of these fits the sound I'm after.

2) Talking to people I trust who're in a position to know a bit more than me. My flatmate works in a drum store and sells drum heads, and while he can't get Evans due to distributor relationships he's in a pretty good objective position to A/B a lot of different Aquarian and Remo models.

3) Experimentation. I'm terrible with heads, I've got to the stage now where my preferred head setup for my kit usually includes something from each of the big three head brands. I like what Aquarian do with bass drums, the Evans G1 seems pretty irreplaceable on my snares and I always seem to keep returning to Remo on the toms.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Silver Member

I would say buy Aquarian. I have used Remo for almost 25 years. After getting too many bad heads from them, I tried Aquarian. With Aquarian you dont have to deal with the seating/ stretching bs which for a beginner can be very frustating. With the Aquarians, you take them out of the box, put them on and tune to your liking and your good to go.. For replacing heads for the first time, this would be an easy way to do it imo.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

First, get an idea and split your descision into Coated batter or Clear batter. There are probably dozens of threads explaining the differences so i wont go into detail. Just use your good ol' friend, the search button. A great thing about this forum is that there are so many members and one of them has got to have a set similar to yours, so after you find out, ask that person their opinion and previous experience with heads. Oh and be sure that you know the kind of music you play because heads contribute to the sound and if the sound doesnt agree with the style of music you play, then well you're out of luck.
And listen to these other guys they got great advice also.

Experiment, and find the head that fits YOU

Last edited by maddrummr; 12-15-2006 at 03:20 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 AM

check out the "drum tuning bible". It's viewable online through an engine search.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

If you have any friends who are drummers you could ask for their second hand heads. They won't sound as good as a brand new head, but you'll get the idea of what that head will sound like for your kit. If you don't want to splurge on a whole set of one type just to try out, you could say buy a couple different types for one of your toms and just have some fun.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanagel View Post
check out the "drum tuning bible". It's viewable online through an engine search.
Or in my signature. ;)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
It's really a combination of research and experimentation. You have to take what you think you want for a sound (for now, lets say it's really open and warm), then you have to find which manufacturers sell those heads and what they're called (Evan's "Sound Spectrum" chart (found below) is good for this) (in this case it might be G1 coateds pr J1 etcheds). Then you just have to try them out, and if the sound doesnt fit you, figure out which way you want it to go (for example, if you wanted it to be slightly more focused) and do the same thing over again.

It is a rather expensive process, but if you do the right research, you'll find what you're looking for quickly. Also, as your concept of the sound you want changes, you'll want to change your heads around anyway, so it's just another expense.

http://evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13

And we all have had to do some of this expensive experimenting. The question really is is what kind of sound are you trying to go for because different thicknesses, ply combination, muffling agents are going to produce specific sounds. As an example, I have been using clear Ambassadors on my toms for 4 years. I then tried Pinstripes on the same toms and the contrast was extremely stark! Yes, overtones were gone but so was most of the volume of the drums! I am experimenting with some Powerstroke 3s on these same toms and it is different!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw