DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Deep and Loud - Head Question

i have a mapex m birch and still have the origional heads - want my drums loud and aggressive.

any tips on heads and reso combinations to acheive this?

thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Deep and Loud - Head Question

try the EC2'S........
Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 AM

I would suggest Evans G2 (clear) batters and G1 reso's. A coated head will dampen the sound some and since you want loud and aggresive, a clear head will open up your drums more. Give more attack.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 AM

cool - thanks

i had suggested to me Coated Ambassadors on heads and Clear Emperors on resos.

ill check out them you mentioned.

any suggestions on bass drum?

The tuning bible link i checked out said that putting the resos the same direction as the heads will let the sound travel through - ie: Head ( ( resso

where as putting them opposite gives a different sound - ie: Head ( ) resso.

any suggestions on that front?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

I'd suggest EMAD for bass. I didn't have much good experience with Remo, so they are not my preferred brand, but that choice is yours, you'll find your own sound. I recommend either EC2's or G2's on the batter side and G1's on the reso (Evans) of the toms. For kick I'd recommend EMAD for the batter side, not sure for reso side, I'm gonna go black EQ4 with a port on it and for my snare... I'm still messing with Evans heads but I currently have a hazy 300 on the reso and a Power Center Reverse Dot or whatever it's called on the batter. This is a 6.5" x 14" snare and that combo gives a hell of a crack with plenty of fat sound you'd expect from a deep snare. I'm going to try an ST Dry on my snare.

I don't get what you mean about the reso head being the same direction as the batter - the head will only go on one way...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwignall View Post
cool - thanks

The tuning bible link i checked out said that putting the resos the same direction as the heads will let the sound travel through - ie: Head ( ( resso

Coated ambassadors on your batter head is good. They are single ply head and allow the drum to sing as it was meant to. This is good on better drums and bad on cheaper drums (cheaper drums you want the head to dampen some of the tone you dont want in there). However I have never heard of anyone using Clear Emperors as resonant heads. Usually you want singly ply heads -- no dampening -- on the resonant side. Coated Ambassadors over Clear Ambassadors is common and is what I have on my DW right now. However I do agree that they wont have as much attack as some of the clear heads -- maybe clear ambassadors top and bottom?

On my starclassic (birch) I have Remo Pinstripes over Evans G1 and they are great. I would run these again without even thinking about it. The pinstripes really compliment the birch shell well.

As for the kick, I would echo the advise of staying away from Remo -- a lot of people use them, but i tried the Powerstroke 3 batter head and it killed all the deep tone on my DW. I will use either Superkick I or Superkick II's exclusively now. Deep, low, fat bass tone. Highly Recommend them.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Next head change I'm going to use clear G2's over G1's again I think (I have a birch kit too). Although I'm toying with the idea of try Aquarian heads; SK1 on the kick, Studio-X's or Response 2's on toms. Anyone have input on those combinations?

Biz
Old 12-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Next head change I'm going to use clear G2's over G1's again I think (I have a birch kit too). Although I'm toying with the idea of try Aquarian heads; SK1 on the kick, Studio-X's or Response 2's on toms. Anyone have input on those combinations?

Biz
I used to use the Studio-X's and i liked them a lot. However I have not yet used them on my starclassics. I used them on both my Sonor 3003 and my Tama Rockstar. I liked them because they helped cut down on overtones and gave me that fat 70's tom sound. However I dont have a problem with overtones with my starclassics, so I was afraid that it would cut tone down on them where i did not want tone cut.

im interested to find out though.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwignall View Post
cool - thanks

Loud and Aggressive, eh?

Toms - Remo clear Ambassadors (what Steve Smith used with Journey and still uses). These are the industry standard. By the way, a coated single ply head will not be as muffled as any clear two ply head.

Kick Drum - Clear Ambasssador on the batter with a felt strip halfway between the outer rim and the center of the drum (again a Steve Smith favorite - you can hear his sound, pretty true to life on the Journey Frontiers album). And a single ply front head with a felt strip.

OR

A Powerstroke 3 (clear) on the batter and a single ply on the front. You can use a Powerstroke 3 on the front if you wish as it does give a good sound!

Snare - I always like a coated Ambassador on the snare for the industry standard sound, but you can opt for the clear ambassador here as well. Also, if you are a hard hitter you may want the Coated CS, an Emperor or the Emperor X (has the dot on it).

EC2 and Pinstripes are going to muffle the drum down (I am keying in on your desire for loud and aggressive drums) and avoid any head marketed as a dry head as it will have a muffle ring in it, as well as the Powerstroke 3 heads.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Loud and Aggressive, eh?

Toms - Remo clear Ambassadors (what Steve Smith used with Journey and still uses). These are the industry standard. By the way, a coated single ply head will not be as muffled as any clear two ply head.

Kick Drum - Clear Ambasssador on the batter with a felt strip halfway between the outer rim and the center of the drum (again a Steve Smith favorite - you can hear his sound, pretty true to life on the Journey Frontiers album). And a single ply front head with a felt strip.

OR

A Powerstroke 3 (clear) on the batter and a single ply on the front. You can use a Powerstroke 3 on the front if you wish as it does give a good sound!

Snare - I always like a coated Ambassador on the snare for the industry standard sound, but you can opt for the clear ambassador here as well. Also, if you are a hard hitter you may want the Coated CS, an Emperor or the Emperor X (has the dot on it).

EC2 and Pinstripes are going to muffle the drum down (I am keying in on your desire for loud and aggressive drums) and avoid any head marketed as a dry head as it will have a muffle ring in it, as well as the Powerstroke 3 heads.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
maybe i will try the clear ambassadors on both batter and resonant head on both my dw and starclassic. Let em ring!

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Use the Evans G2 clear or coated! "Rhythm in the hands of few" Sirwill