DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Default Rack Help!

hey all would like some pointers as to what rack system to get.

i have 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms. id like the floor toms to be racked so will need a good sturdy one.

would like a mapex one but not sure if they make racks.

some tips appreciated.

cheers
Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Rack Help!

No, im sorry Mapex doesnt make racks but Tama makes some pretty sturdy ones, try this....http://www.tama.com/drums/tama_link....pts/index.html

not to many choices but one of my favorites. Also try Pearl too.....................................

http://www.pearldrum.com/drumrack.asp
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Gibraltar make a relatively cheap round tube one, which is what Chris Adler uses for his Mapex 2 up/ 2 down setup. I personally use a Pearl DR503 ICON rack for mine, it is a little more expensive than the Gibraltar but I personally prefer it, the tube is square so one the drums are clamped in place they cannot slip round like is possible on the Gibraltar (I'm not saying it happens, I'm merely saying it is impossible for it to happen on the Pearl rack). You can see pictures of my rack setup in the "Your Gear" section in a thread titled "My Yamaha Recording Customs". If you need any more help get in touch.

Cheers

Al
Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 AM

The "Beast" is right on... I have the Pearl 503c Icon rack and couldn't imagine using round tubed racks. I have 3up and 2 (rack) toms down. I honestly wish I had floor toms as opposed to big rack toms because you can only get the big rack toms so close to you without hiting my 3rd tom. If I slide them around to get them closer, they end up too far too my right and my 16" ends up behind me almost. Just something to consider.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

A Pearl Icon holds up a set at my church...it works great.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
Gibraltar make a relatively cheap round tube one, which is what Chris Adler uses for his Mapex 2 up/ 2 down setup. I personally use a Pearl DR503 ICON rack for mine, it is a little more expensive than the Gibraltar but I personally prefer it, the tube is square so one the drums are clamped in place they cannot slip round like is possible on the Gibraltar (I'm not saying it happens, I'm merely saying it is impossible for it to happen on the Pearl rack). You can see pictures of my rack setup in the "Your Gear" section in a thread titled "My Yamaha Recording Customs". If you need any more help get in touch.

Cheers

Al

Is this the same rack the Jeff Porcarro designed?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
[crap joke]no, I just bought it from the drum store...[/crap joke]

I have no idea if Jeff Porcaro helped design it, it's a pretty obvious design though when you think about it, you clamp something heavy onto a round tube and it's going to spin, the only shape it won't spin on really is oval or square... something that is out of round anyway. It's logic.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Jeff Porcaro and Paul Jameson designed the Pearl DR-80 rack, which is the grandaddy of the Icon.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 AM

i have a gibraltar rack and i love it.

I agree with people that the round tube design does lend itself to slippage, whereas a square tube design eliminates that possibility. The only problem I have with that is that having a square rack tube limits the clamp placement to vertical and horizontal. Granted, most of the time you're going to mount every cymbal arm or tom mount vertically, but it's nice to have that completely analog adjustability available if you want it.

And I have no problems what-so-ever with slippage on my gibraltar. The clamps all have enough clamping area to take care of that, and if one does slip occasionally you can get gibraltar's memory locks and they take care of it by adding even more surface area to the clamp surface.