DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
nhzoso

Default Aquarian SKll, Ripped???

I have an aquarian SKll that is about 6 months old now. i was playing to some songs today and noticed the outer ply on the batter side is ripped about 2-3" long vertically. I don't play hard at all and the only thing I can think of that caused it was a metal patch I put on it a few months ago and then I peeled it off about 2 months ago but did'nt notice any tears at the time???

The inner ply is fine and I am wondering if it's okay to tape over the rip to try and prevent the inner one from ripping or if that will somehow do more damage with glue and all.

I was also thinking about just cutting the ripped piece back but not sure how long the inner will take the beating before punching through it.

Any tips/idea's, rather not buy a new one yet, would like to get to the summer atleast with this one.

I don't gig or anything so I am not worried about it on stage. I do jam with a few guys and I still have the stock batter just in case.

Anyone else had this problem with the SKll??

Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Aquarian SKll, Ripped???

I never had that problem but you could contact Aquarian and see what they say about it. They may replace the head for you.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 PM
drumzac

That's the exact reason why I never use 2 ply bass drum heads. They aren't as durable as people make them out to be. You have to look at it this way.

Is a 2 ply bass drum head with both plies being only 7mil thick going to last more than 1 ply that is 10mil thick? It's easier to go through a 7mil ply than it is to go through a 10mil ply. Also you get way better low end and a full spectrum sound out of 1 ply bass heads. You can adjust the sound to your needs.

That's why I believe 1 ply bass heads are more durable than 2 ply bass heads. You'll see either the top or bottom ply on a 2 ply bass head snap before you'll see a 1 ply bass head snap.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzac View Post
That's the exact reason why I never use 2 ply bass drum heads. They aren't as durable as people make them out to be. You have to look at it this way.

Is a 2 ply bass drum head with both plies being only 7mil thick going to last more than 1 ply that is 10mil thick? It's easier to go through a 7mil ply than it is to go through a 10mil ply. Also you get way better low end and a full spectrum sound out of 1 ply bass heads. You can adjust the sound to your needs.

That's why I believe 1 ply bass heads are more durable than 2 ply bass heads. You'll see either the top or bottom ply on a 2 ply bass head snap before you'll see a 1 ply bass head snap.
yes, but 7 and 7 make 14. SO is it easyer to play thougha 14 mil head or a 10?

I don't know, I would just call Aquarian and see what they say. If the head is only 6 months old maybe the will change it out for you, some companies have 1 year limited warrantees on product.

I just ordered 2 SKII's I hope this doesn't happen to me!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Yes, but 7 and 7 make 14. SO is it easier to play though a 14 mil head or a 10?
Yeah but no, because it is not a 14mil head but two times 7mil - it's not two heads making one solid head, but two superposed heads.

The rip of the outer ply happened to me but with a Remo Power Stroke; I just changed the head because that's is what happens when it's worn out but you said you had a patch on the head. Weird...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
drumzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
yes, but 7 and 7 make 14. SO is it easyer to play thougha 14 mil head or a 10?

I don't know, I would just call Aquarian and see what they say. If the head is only 6 months old maybe the will change it out for you, some companies have 1 year limited warrantees on product.

I just ordered 2 SKII's I hope this doesn't happen to me!
Yes and no. A two ply head isn't one solid 14mil thick head. It's two 7mil plies. If you go through the first 7mil layer, you have 1 layer of 7mil left. A solid 10mil head will be more durable than a 14mil head made up of 2 7mil plies.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 AM

The 14 part would be true if they were bonded or glued someway but there just held together by a special oil so its like tearing a 7 and then tearing the next one as for the 10 its just thicker and wont tear as fast.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

He had one of those metal patches on the head. The edge of that pad may have cut into the head from the impact of the beater. It may be more noticable now because he pulled the patch off. I have had this happen to with those patches that have a hard disc under the patch. That is why I haven't used one in years. That's my thought.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:28 AM
drumzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiboiluis View Post
The 14 part would be true if they were bonded or glued someway but there just held together by a special oil so its like tearing a 7 and then tearing the next one as for the 10 its just thicker and wont tear as fast.
There is no oil in any 2 ply heads except the Evans Hydraulics. The rainbow effect you see is light being reflected off the 2 plies of mylar. Same goes for Remo Pinstripes. There is no oil in them. They use a resin/glue at the edge of the head that acts as dampening.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

See, now I would still just call Aquarian. I have never had a problem with 2 ply heads coming apart, or ripping. I bet it's just a fluke and they will replace it for you.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Womble

Btw, Nick, on the news page of your website it says you are 'not' endorsing Aquarian. I guess it should say 'now' ;)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 AM
nhzoso

I e-mailed them and they replied right away and asked me to call them. I called and discussed it with a guy and he said it was most likely the stupid metal patch I put on it. No refund but I was'nt really expecting one. I still like aquarian and will look at an SK1 and maybe an Emad when it does come time to buy a new one. I will admit I was not totally blown away by the SKll like some people are. But it is a decent head.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzac View Post
Yes and no. A two ply head isn't one solid 14mil thick head. It's two 7mil plies. If you go through the first 7mil layer, you have 1 layer of 7mil left. A solid 10mil head will be more durable than a 14mil head made up of 2 7mil plies.
Sorry - no-ones got this right yet, which surprises me frankly.

You can't say that a 2-ply head is like going through one 7mil and then another, the second play reinforces the first and gives it increased strength - particularly from denting (thats why single-ply snare heads pit and deform more than double play - the second play keeps the heda more rigid and in shape). in therms of if ytou were attacking them with scissors, then yes, depending whether you slice on play at a time or go for both will define whether or not a 2-ply head acts as 1 14mm play or 2 7mms after each other. But in terms of applying force to the head (i.e drumming) it's more comlicated. In short, a 2-play 7mil head and a 1 play 10mil head are probably very similar in terms of strength. However, I've always found 2 ply heads more durable because I go through heads by deforming them until they're untunable rather than ripping/holing them. This also applies to BD heads - I've never ripped one, and when I've used/seen single play heads they're dented and pitted more easily and quicker because of the lack of reinforcement from the second ply. So I use a 2-ply. It really depends how you play and how you find you wear heads.