DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Default EC2s the way to go?

Okay so its time to replace the tom heads,and after lookin on the net ive took an interest in EC2s. I have a Pro M kit,i play rock,prog,alternative and mainly metal.These heads the way to go?An any suggestions for the resonants as i have no idea :P Maybe clear ambassadors? THanks very much
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: EC2s the way to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo View Post
Okay so its time to replace the tom heads,and after lookin on the net ive took an interest in EC2s. I have a Pro M kit,i play rock,prog,alternative and mainly metal.These heads the way to go?An any suggestions for the resonants as i have no idea :P Maybe clear ambassadors? THanks very much
The Evans EC2s are great heads. They sing out and the edge control takes care of the overtones. I'm using the Evans resonant heads also. They are thinner than G1s or ambassadors. Brightens up the sound.

In the past year and a half I've tried Pin Strips, Performance IIs, Studio Xs, and Response IIs. The EC2s are just awesome. I would give them a try.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:47 PM
drumzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
The Evans EC2s are great heads. They sing out and the edge control takes care of the overtones. I'm using the Evans resonant heads also. They are thinner than G1s or ambassadors. Brightens up the sound.

In the past year and a half I've tried Pin Strips, Performance IIs, Studio Xs, and Response IIs. The EC2s are just awesome. I would give them a try.
I assume you mean the Resonant Glass 7.5mil heads? I've used the Resonant Black 7.5mil heads with Coated G1's on top before and liked it. I haven't paired them up with a 2 ply like G2 or EC2. Could you maybe eloborate a bit more on how they sound besides the brightness?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 PM

To be honest, I hated the (coated) EC2's. They have no projection at all and are too dead for me. The clear ones are a bit better but still were not my cup of tea. If you intend on puting them on smaller drums IE.. 8" or 10" toms, I would look at the g2's because the EC2's just kill a small drum all together. I used Evans g1's as reso's when I tried them, maybe a thinner reso. will give you a better effect.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzac View Post
I assume you mean the Resonant Glass 7.5mil heads? I've used the Resonant Black 7.5mil heads with Coated G1's on top before and liked it. I haven't paired them up with a 2 ply like G2 or EC2. Could you maybe eloborate a bit more on how they sound besides the brightness?
The 7 mil glass heads are bright and open with a shorter sustain than the 10 mil reso heads. They work pretty well on floor toms. Thay take a little bit of the rumble out of the big toms. The 10 mil heads might be the ticket if you want increased sustain. The 10 mil heads are a good choice for rack toms.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
To be honest, I hated the (coated) EC2's. They have no projection at all and are too dead for me. The clear ones are a bit better but still were not my cup of tea. If you intend on puting them on smaller drums IE.. 8" or 10" toms, I would look at the g2's because the EC2's just kill a small drum all together. I used Evans g1's as reso's when I tried them, maybe a thinner reso. will give you a better effect.
That's interesting. I'm running a maple DW kit with a 8 and 10 rack and the EC2s are some of the loudest heads I've tried. That said, some small toms tend to have a narrow tuning range and can choke when they're out of the sweet spot.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I am a big fan of the EC2's. I have them on my Mapex M Birch kit and they sound great. I took the advice of Dom Famularo to put the EC2's on my kit and he was right....they are great for birch and maple. I would put G1's on the reso side and I think you will be happy.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Synthetik

Luckily, with carbon fiber I am not dealing with annoying overtones---just pure sustain. That gives me lots of options.

Were I on a maple or birch kit, ec2's do a lot of good, unless you are after a specific open/jazz sound.

If G-1's aren't enough--I have an order for Aquarian super-2's set up. I am trying to avoid premuffled heads. And no, g2's don't do it for me.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Pioneer Member

I really don't dig the EC 2/ Pinstripe heads. After trying out some Pinstripes on my toms, I noticed how much volume was lost, which is basically what muffling does to a drum. I had not noticed this before. If you are going to be playing the styels of music you listed in a live setting, you are definitely going to need sound reinforcement!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 12-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I really don't dig the EC 2/ Pinstripe heads. After trying out some Pinstripes on my toms, I noticed how much volume was lost, which is basically what muffling does to a drum. I had not noticed this before. If you are going to be playing the styels of music you listed in a live setting, you are definitely going to need sound reinforcement!
One of the components of sound projection is frequency cut. When you damp out the higher frequencies, some of the natural ability to cut goes away as well.

Everything is a tradeoff. Luckily, top line drums usually have a lot more resonance to spare.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Hi Mike,

I had Pin Strips on my drums and didn't like them at all. Those heads sucked the life right out of the drums.

I'm running EC2s now and they are totally different from the pins. They're really not muffled. The have a very thin edge control ring that enhances the bottom end. These are some of the loudest heads that I tried.

Have you tried the EC2s?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Synthetik

As far as I am concerned, Remo is a non player anymore. The ec2 is a much better product in both sound and consistancy than the pinstripe.

I am not sure if my new kit will be ec2 or super-2...luckily, I have a couple ec-2's to compare.

Time (hopefully soon) will tell.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I LOVE the EC2 clear on toms, but am still lukewarm about the coated. Although I put a coated EC2 on a wood snare with diecast hoops, and it killed. So... I dunno.

But the clear can do no wrong, definitely give those a shot.

Bermuda
Old 12-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I LOVE the EC2 clear on toms, but am still lukewarm about the coated. Although I put a coated EC2 on a wood snare with diecast hoops, and it killed. So... I dunno.

But the clear can do no wrong, definitely give those a shot.

Bermuda
My 14 x 14 and 16 x 16 toms really rumble. I used coated EC2s on those and it worked out real well. There's still plenty of tone and a bit less rumble. I agree that on the smaller toms the clears are great.