DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 AM

Default my UPDATED superstar custom! PICS INSIDE

ok..i dont really post here often..but i thought id have to post this

ok..i went to guitar center recently, and came back with a Pearl ICON 3-sided curved rack..i love this thing..makes placement alot easier..i havent got everything right where i want it, this is just a rough first try placement...i pretty much like where everything is...i have the tom post still in the bass drum and 12 inch tom..so placement of that tom is not exactly where i want it( im getting a tom arm sometime soon)..and the 13 inch is kinda too far..both ill fix later..oh ya, notice how crowded my room is..lol..thats why i gotta either jump like im running hurdles..or crawl like im in the military to play it.lol..AND DONT MAKE FUN OF MY LITTLE MErMAID PILLOW CASE...its very comfortable..lol..and arial is hot..lol jk

Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 AM
larlev

Default Re: my UPDATED superstar custom! PICS INSIDE

Nice kit....

I usually don't post this kinda thing but......ec2's w/ moongel?????? How are you tuning your kit? Something is wrong here.....
Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 AM

oh its kewl..it gives me a deep boomy sound (i got the moongel near the edge, so it doesnt do that much of a dampening job..)..and if it works, it works.lol..everyone is different
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 AM

cool stuff man, the ec2's are amazing
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice rack lol. Sweet pics, you might wanna upgrade cymbals soon to match the quality of all your other things.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Nice ! Congrats

I'm not a PEARL fan but if I'd have a rack, I'd choose an ICON too, good looking, solid and affordable.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 AM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanhairskank View Post
oh its kewl..it gives me a deep boomy sound (i got the moongel near the edge, so it doesnt do that much of a dampening job..)..and if it works, it works.lol..everyone is different

actually it does, the closer to the edge you put it.....it dampens the sound more...

ec2's have an edge ring for a reason....

Your right though to each his own....
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Nice ! Congrats

I'm not a PEARL fan but if I'd have a rack, I'd choose an ICON too, good looking, solid and affordable.
where have i heard that before.lol..

im gonna upgrade cymbals over the summer..new paiste alphas
Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

My advice is that your next cymbal upgrade is to a higher model, rather than alphas. Even if you can only do one cymbal at a time, you'll be better in the long run, because you'll eventually want to upgrade from alphas. If you have to stick with Paiste (they're very expensive), try Signatures or 2002s. Otherwise, look at Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl, Istanbul, UFIP, and my favourite, Bosphorus.

I also think you should lose the moongel on the ec2s; they have they're own dampening built in and do not need assistance from the moongel.

Biz
Old 12-06-2006, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanhairskank View Post
where have i heard that before.lol..
It's what we call a "dj vue" ! Ah ! Ah ! Ah !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Dude thats such a nice kit BUT WHY DONT YOU COVER IT. I cant stand dust on drums, let those things SHINE. Yea that finish is rockin
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM

Nice kit, the finish is great plus the rack is good to. That's a Zildjian ZXT Titanium Rock or Medium ride? I have the ZXT Titanium Rock Ride and though it's not a pro type, it sounds good to me. ;)
Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
actually it does, the closer to the edge you put it.....it dampens the sound more...

ec2's have an edge ring for a reason....

Your right though to each his own....
He's got his kit in the bedroom and probably needs to keep as quiet as he can be. And why would a moongel dampen more at the edge?

I disagree, ... I was looking for a specific sound out of my 16" floor ( for a specific tune) and I used 2 moongels, one on the edge and one in about 2 inches in another area. Moving them in on the head dampened more than the outer....and I'm talking about when I was trying one at a time for that sound.

EC2's and moongel does not necessarily mean there is something wrong. Way too many factors to come to that conclusion.

Just my .02 .......
Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 PM

PST 5s are great!!! Don't sweat over an upgrade so soon. Most drummers think quality and sound = $$$. My set up has K hats, K ride, Sabian Vault crash, and a Sabian B8 20in ride as a crash. The only cymbal I'm going to replace the 20in B8 ride with is a new 20in B8 ride.

or a PST 5. ;)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
He's got his kit in the bedroom and probably needs to keep as quiet as he can be. And why would a moongel dampen more at the edge?

I disagree, ... I was looking for a specific sound out of my 16" floor ( for a specific tune) and I used 2 moongels, one on the edge and one in about 2 inches in another area. Moving them in on the head dampened more than the outer....and I'm talking about when I was trying one at a time for that sound.

EC2's and moongel does not necessarily mean there is something wrong. Way too many factors to come to that conclusion.

Just my .02 .......
Wow.....where do I start with this one...

The edge is where all your overtones come from....hence ec2's... you don't see the edge ring in the center of the head do you....every head with an applica is placed as close to the edge as possible.

Like I said "to each is own"

I just don't get some of you guys...you buy nice kits..then put ec2's, hydraulics, pins, which is fine...but then you add 2-6 pieces of moongel....my question is why spend high dollar to have the sound of boxes...I have done this myself in the past and your not going to tell me that your kit sounds musical.......it doesn't....unless your definition of musical is something that I wasn't aware existed.

and that's my .02
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Wow.....where do I start with this one...
Don't act like I've said something thats so foreign to you or anyone .....

Quote:
The edge is where all your overtones come from....hence ec2's... you don't see the edge ring in the center of the head do you....every head with an applica is placed as close to the edge as possible.
Of course you don't....then you'd hit them with your stick !! LOL ...of course applica's are on the edge of heads! But my note didn't come across clear here. I'm saying if you place a moongel inwards of the outer edge, it's going to dampen the head more than where this guy has them. I've done it before as I've said earlier in an experiment to get a certain sound doing a particular tune (in the basement of a house) ....as you can see by my avatar.......no moongel.

Quote:
I just don't get some of you guys...you buy nice kits..then put ec2's, hydraulics, pins, which is fine...but then you add 2-6 pieces of moongel....my question is why spend high dollar to have the sound of boxes...I have done this myself in the past and your not going to tell me that your kit sounds musical.......it doesn't....unless your definition of musical is something that I wasn't aware existed.

and that's my .02
First, I agree.....the 'box' sound will be aparent the more you use dampeners...

but....
where do you see 2-6 pieces of moongel anywhere?
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 PM
larlev

Like I said "to each his own"

and for the record you could do other things if "quieting down" your kit is a problem....I know of these certain sticks that many of us use that are made for this issue.

sticking moongel excessively on your heads defeats the purpose..at least to me

I have seen pics on this forum as well as other forums...where 2-6 pieces are used...sometime along with rings. If this doesn't pertain to you then disregard the comment.

More people need to learn to tune properly, as well as proper head selection before applying everything but the kitchen sink to their heads.

again just my .02
Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
fusssion

fair enough.....

Also....I look at some of these posts as learning opportunities !! You can learn a TON here if you pay attention and are willing to ask!

I have not seen those pictures.....but for God's sake,....2 -6 pieces....WOW!!!

I for one......would LOVE to learn more about tuning my drums properly!!

Is it true starting with your largest tom is a good idea?

PM is you'd like, I don't want to hijack:)
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

Nice kit and I love the finish. While I'd agree that moongel on EC2's is a little off, I have seen it before, and actually played on it, and it was also on a Superstar Custom. I actually liked that sound better once I got playing with the group- perhaps it was the acoustics of the room, too, but I thought the bit of dampening better fit the environment. ICON racks are also my personal favorite.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:54 AM
Silver Member

the only qualm i have with your kit is the hi-hat seems rather.. high, ironically.
however, if you're incredibly tall, it makes more sense.. but it seems like your hi-hat is a ways away from your snare rim. i usually prefer to have the bottom hi-hat no more than six inches higher than the top rim of my snare.

so yeah, either your hi-hats are raised incredibly high, or your snare is way low.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Man we have almost the exact same setup. Awesome finish and gear! And great setup of course :P