DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-26-2007, 03:31 PM

Default ahead sticks

I been looking at ahead drumsticks. I notice that all the sticks seem to have the same features. I wonder which stick is better. Please try to describe as well as you can the type of sound the each stick uses on the hi hats, ride, crash, and the drums. Are they hard on your equipment. It isn't very profitable to buy a stick that will last longer if I just transfer the money I use to buy sticks to buy cymbals, heads, and other type of equipment.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: ahead sticks

There are several threads on here about Ahead sticks. I have been using them for close to 7 years now. They aren't for everyone. I like them. Some hate them. I use 2B's but sometimes use 5B's as well. I ply metal/rock. I use thin crash cymbals as well as heavy power crashes such as Paiste Signatures power crashes and even a Rude crash ride. I have never damaged a cymbal thin or heavy.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

if your forgetfull dont buy em,ive seen drummers forget to change the outer wrap.they wore down to the metal and didnt know it,metal on metal contact with their cymbals, makes me shiver just thinking about it....
Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

It's hard not to notice that the covers are worn to that point. It's very noticable in the sound and feel of the stick. Plus, it doesn't hurt to look them over before and after playing.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

I tried them when they first came out, and in the first 30 seconds, I knew they weren't for me.
The construction, durrability, and idea of them is great.
Actually, I was kinda bummed I didn't like them.

It was the sound of them on my drums and cymbals that I hated.
To me, they take all the crisp, full attack, and soul out of the drums, & cymbals loose everything to me.

I use the sound Lars used to have as an example.

Yeah, he may have broken a lot of sticks, but he was using Regal Tip 5b nylon tips with about the thinnest necks known to man for cryin' out loud!

His sound used to be massive, crisp, snappy & ballsy.....now it all just sounds kinda dead to me.

I judge this by live (& recorded) stuff I've heard for concerts/TV & documentary stuff & that I have.
I guess if people don't really hear a difference, or it doesn't matter to them, they'd be a cool stick.

For my money wood sticks just sound better, and I'm not one to NOT try out new stuff that LOOKS like it would be cool or better to use.

But I agree with wolfmoon, they do work great for a ton of people.
Check them out for yourself--they may work for what you want to do.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Do an advanced search for "ahead" in the 'heads and sticks' section. Many threads/replies on Ahead sticks.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I tried them when they first came out, and in the first 30 seconds, I knew they weren't for me.
Same experience. They had no feel and the response with the cymbals seemed to really lag.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Ahead Sticks...

Thanks for the info on all this. I think I am going to go ahead and get a pair and see what I think.
As far as grip tape goes, the stuff you buy from music retailers, i.e. Ahead, Pro-Mark, Vater etc. is way to expensive. I have been using grip tape for tennis raquets, it is a third of the cost and you can wrap anywhere from 2 - 4 pairs depending on how much you cover, per package. It also seems to last longer than Pro-Marks wrap.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Ahead Sticks...

I think you definitely have to try them to see if they work for you. The feel is VERY different from wood. I couldn't get used to the way they balance- just a really different feel.

When I started getting occasional hand cramps, I switched to Hornets sticks with the carved handle and that took care of it, no more cramps...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

some times i like them and sometimes i dont. i useualy use the 2bs or 5as. it just depends how i feel some days. and they do break....just to let you know
Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Gilded

I'm a very heavy player (DevilDriver, Cradle Of Filth, Lamb Of God, DragonForce, etc). If your not, the sticks aren't for you.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Default ahead sticks

im looking at purchasing a set of ahead sticks, for numerous reasons, and i was just wondering, do they make a lightweight, or skinny jazz stick?
like a 7something.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 PM

I'm the drummer for school's Jazz Band and I use timbale sticks. tThey work fantastic for jazz.. nice light sound, and great responsivness off of cymbals and tight heads.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Here's the 7A's top of the page

http://bigbangdist.com/ahead_sticks_list.htm

Though I wouldn't recommend them for jazz they just don't give the same tone and response as a wood stick, especially on the cymbals. Ahead's are really designed in my opinion for heavy hitters.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 AM

Default AHEAD DRUM STICKS??

Gentleman of the forum..

I know this isnt something new.. I searched and there were some topics on the matter.
Yet my mind isnt made up. At 30 bucks a pair. I would like to hear your voice.
Thanks in advance ...
Don/////
Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: AHEAD DRUM STICKS??

As with any tactile thing, opinions will be subjective and vary widely. And my opinion is: I don't like the feel, or the cross-stick sound.

But here are some facts: They bend under moderate-heavy use, and the tip and shoulder sleeve are designed to unscrew and come apart (think about that for a few seconds...)

I suggest you save your money.

If you're looking for a long-lasting/synthetic stick, I'm afraid there's nothing out there at the moment that feels good or lasts. The last great synthetics were Mainlines, c1995-2001, and good luck finding those anymore. :(

Bermuda
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ahead sticks

Sound strange, but the Ahead sticks make me, or at least make me think I can play faster and cleaner. I don't really like them, they get really slippy when I'm playing live and I read about them damaging cymbals at a far faster rate than wooden sticks.

But I can't help but thinking they just have this weight/balance difference whatever it is that gives a great feel when playing fast.

Tom
Old 06-04-2008, 06:43 AM

I own a pair of both the 5As and the Matt McDonough sticks. I've never had a problem with excessively breaking cymbals..or heads for that matter. To tell the truth, I have yet to break a cymbal with a pair of Aheads... As long as you keep some extra sleeves and maybe a few tips around (although I've never had to change tips) and change them when they need it, you should be fine. Just remember to periodically take the sleeves off to check out the core of the stick to make sure it's not damaged..especially before a live show.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

I tried the ahead sticks when they came out and i could'nt get a feel for them so i went back to the 747's til about 6 months ago. i got the 5b rock model and actually love them now. its true-they feel NOTHING like wood but i only use nylon tips and the tips on wooden sticks would break before the shafts would show any wear...it was getting expensive. i use the ride bell the majority of the time so this new pair has lasted much longer than the wood sticks did. i feel less fatigue and love the rebound of them.but thats just my personal experience. i would recommend aheads for maybe the heavier hitters or drummers on a tight budget. it never hurts to try something new because you never know- you might love'em! GOOD LUCK AND DRUM ON!

Last edited by crdirtRider856; 06-21-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Well I have a funny story about Ahead.

OK. I'm a huge Joey Jordison fan, and I'm sort of OCD about stuff. Not really meaning neat, but when I get into something I have to go out and buy everything about it. So I went out bought the Slipknot DVD's (I already had every single one of their CDs), a Joey Mask, the Joey Kit (currently packed away in my attic), and of course the Ahead Joey Jordison sticks. Back then I was breaking about 2 pairs a month, when I got the Joey sticks I had them for ever and ever, but heres the catch... I realized that I was breaking way to many cymbals for my own good. I tore a piece out of my favorite crash, cracked my ride, and broke my china. It could have been the cymbals just couldnt take it any more, or it could have been the sticks. I blamed it on the sticks, and have never touched Ahead sticks since.

I now play Pro-Mark 2B sticks with the Natural finish for rock, and Pro-Mark 5A Acid Jazz sticks for jazz
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhands520 View Post
Well I have a funny story about Ahead.

OK. I'm a huge Joey Jordison fan, and I'm sort of OCD about stuff. Not really meaning neat, but when I get into something I have to go out and buy everything about it. So I went out bought the Slipknot DVD's (I already had every single one of their CDs), a Joey Mask, the Joey Kit (currently packed away in my attic), and of course the Ahead Joey Jordison sticks. Back then I was breaking about 2 pairs a month, when I got the Joey sticks I had them for ever and ever, but heres the catch... I realized that I was breaking way to many cymbals for my own good. I tore a piece out of my favorite crash, cracked my ride, and broke my china. It could have been the cymbals just couldnt take it any more, or it could have been the sticks. I blamed it on the sticks, and have never touched Ahead sticks since.

I now play Pro-Mark 2B sticks with the Natural finish for rock, and Pro-Mark 5A Acid Jazz sticks for jazz
Well, like I said nearly a year ago in this thread... I have been using them now for over 7 years. In that time period I have never broken, cracked, nicked, bent or damaged a cymbal in any way shape or form. I use all Paiste models from thin Dimensions crashes, 2oo2 mediums, Signatures and the Rude series. This includes hi hats, crashes, rides and chinas of the series I mentioned. Now I have went thru several pairs of Aheads over the years but not enough of them to complain. I can't see myself using anything else but Aheads.They aren't for everyone. I didn't like them when I first tried them but I got use to them and never went back. I think anyone that is wrecking their gear with Aheads must be doing something very wrong.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: AHEAD DRUM STICKS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
As with any tactile thing, opinions will be subjective and vary widely. And my opinion is: I don't like the feel, or the cross-stick sound.

But here are some facts: They bend under moderate-heavy use, and the tip and shoulder sleeve are designed to unscrew and come apart (think about that for a few seconds...)

I suggest you save your money.

If you're looking for a long-lasting/synthetic stick, I'm afraid there's nothing out there at the moment that feels good or lasts. The last great synthetics were Mainlines, c1995-2001, and good luck finding those anymore. :(

Bermuda
Yeah, they will bend with hardcore rimshots one after the other but a wooden stick will snap in half or splinter long before the Ahead stick will bend. You are right about the cross stick sound. They aren't very great for that if you do a lot of it. As far as the tips go, we all know they unscrew in order to change the covers. If you add a small drop of super glue to the threads on the stick, the tips won't just fly off. I don't always do this. I keep them tight and check them before and after I play.They are easily removed by gripping the tip with pliers and a towel (to avoid roughing the tip up) It may seem like a lot of trouble but it really isn't.

Some say the sleeves are too hard to get off. If you drop the sticks in a sink of hot water and let them sit for a few minutes, they slide right off. Put the new covers in the water... wait... and they slide right on. To me, the trouble is worth because I save a lot of money. I would normally go through 3 or pairs of wood sticks in a week with their price ranging between 8 - 10$ per pair. So for 30$ a pair I get 6 - 9 months out of them before 1 gives. Duriing that time I may replace the sleeves twice. They are just a few dollars.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Well, like I said nearly a year ago in this thread... I have been using them now for over 7 years. In that time period I have never broken, cracked, nicked, bent or damaged a cymbal in any way shape or form. I use all Paiste models from thin Dimensions crashes, 2oo2 mediums, Signatures and the Rude series. This includes hi hats, crashes, rides and chinas of the series I mentioned. Now I have went thru several pairs of Aheads over the years but not enough of them to complain. I can't see myself using anything else but Aheads.They aren't for everyone. I didn't like them when I first tried them but I got use to them and never went back. I think anyone that is wrecking their gear with Aheads must be doing something very wrong.
I might have been doing something wrong but I've been playing the same way with wood sticks and havent broken a cymbal since I switched from the Ahead sticks, which was like 3 or 4 years ago.
Evans Heads
Pro-Mark Sticks