DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Ahead sticks

I use the Ahead 7a sticks, they've got an good sound.
I like it for palying metal
Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Ahead Sticks...

What do you guys think of these sticks?
i got a pair (40$), 5B aluminums, and at first i loved them. but after a while, im just starting to miss my old wood sticks. The tips would constantly unscrew...and im beginning to worry about what its doing to my cymbals. The aluminum feel, just...gets old. it leaves weird marks on my hand, and to tell you the truth, it bruises some parts of my hands...

They are nice to have in your bag i guess, but im thinking of going back to the wood. the wood bounces better, and its a warmer feel on the cymbals...

i want to know what you guys think of them too.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Ahead Sticks...

I use to hate them, but when my friend got sent 2 pairs instead of one, he gave me one of the pairs. They are not my favorite sticks, but they are really hard to break and do the job.

They are alright, but there are definitley other sticks i would rather use.

I think the reason they are so expensive is because they are so hard to break with all the metal in em.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM

I use 5A's now, and I like them, but I definitely miss the old Promark 5A's. You almost have to try them both out at the same time to compair the feel of he two.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I like the sticks, and they aren't bad for the cymbals I believe. I used them for about 3 years and now I use wood again for some reason. I think they are a better value for money.

Having said that I went through 6 pairs.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM

I went through a phase of using Aheads. I got some 5As and the Tommy Lee signitures along with the gloves
Old 05-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Personally i would not spend 40 bucks on ONE pair of drum sticks.

Three pairs of good ol' woodys are fine
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 AM

I find myself having more fun with wood sticks.
i just realized it, cause...well i just dont really know.

it cool that they dont break and all, but they get slippery. today i was playing and it just SLipped, and hit my forhead. i wasnt too happy. so i grab my old wax zildjians.
im just gonna have maybe 1 pair of those 5A's, and just go back to the old wood.

just cant go wrong with em, even if they break...the feel is better.
thanks guys
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 AM

truthfully the only reason I used them before was because of the "look"
Old 05-18-2007, 02:31 AM

hahah
well, that and the idea of a unbreakable stick really caught my eye
Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

I've used the Ahead sticks many times and I still have a pair of the Peter Criss model. I remember when they first came out, they didn't have a limited warranty on them. I broke a couple pair and the music store replaced them. Now they have a 60-day warranty from the date of purchase.

I like using them on a practice pad, but I never used them on the drumkit all the time. When I was gigging, I liked using them on certain songs that just felt better with them instead of wood sticks.

birch
Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 AM

i just got off from playing drums

and the sole reason was:

the tip for the damn (ahead)stick flew off and hit me in the face. haha, really struck a solemn mood on my groove.

see...that wouldnt necessarily happen with wood sticks, then again...with wood sticks i could potentially have half a stick in my face. so i dont know, im still under dispute
Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Pioneer Member

I don't like the sound of them on ride cymbals especially.

I played Aheads for awhile and grew tired of them and really liked the sound an feel that only wood can give. Playing with control and dynamics will help prevent sticks from breaking. I can get a pair of wood sticks to last months and the only reason they get replaced is the wood whittling away on the cymbals.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 PM

ya i had the....tim alexander sticks for over 3 months.
i kept thos in really good condition

didnt even chip the tips, but then a few days ago i cracked from inside. it was the wierdest crack i have ever seen.
hmm. but ya, i totally agree with ya. ride+ahead sticks=not so good
Old 05-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Gold Member

I have played the Ahead sticks in varus models on and off over the years. I do like the feeling of a good wood stick in my hands, but the way I go through them, Ahead is a little more friendly to my bank account. I could spend $30 on 6 pair of sticks and have them for 6 days, or I could spend $30 on a pair of Ahead and have them for 6 months.
Plus I get cramps in my hands from wood after a while. Just the price you pay of playing every day for years on end. The Ahead sticks take the pain away, so I am playing with them more than anything now. I was playing the Tommy Lee's but they are a little too heavy. The Tico Torres is a little lighter, so I think I setteled on those.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM

I got them a long time ago...the Lars Ulrich version...I loved them for a very long time...replaced the nylon sheath on one, and eventually broke the metal shaft on one, so I just got rid of them. I know I didn't spend $40 on them...it was probably a little over $20 if I recall...but that was a very long time ago.

The nylon sheath is probably better on the cymbals than hard wood, as far as damage concerns anyway.

I finally switched back to wood. I like the ability to switch to different sizes for different reasons...endurance workouts, lighter feel, whatever, and I can't justify to get ahead sticks for every reason...but I can get a crap load of wood ones. And I'm a lot more gentle these days, I can't even break tiny wooden sticks anymore...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCask View Post
What do you guys think of these sticks?
i got a pair (40$), 5B aluminums, and at first i loved them. but after a while, im just starting to miss my old wood sticks. The tips would constantly unscrew...and im beginning to worry about what its doing to my cymbals. The aluminum feel, just...gets old. it leaves weird marks on my hand, and to tell you the truth, it bruises some parts of my hands...

They are nice to have in your bag i guess, but im thinking of going back to the wood. the wood bounces better, and its a warmer feel on the cymbals...

i want to know what you guys think of them too.
I had the exact same experiense.. I loved them at first, but then they just startet to feel wrong.. The aluminium grip is lousy when when you are starting to swetand they damage the cymbals more than wood does... I friend of mine borke two a-customs because of ahead( he is a real hevy hitter tough, so I am not completly shure)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM

I've been playing the Joey Jordison model for a little over 2 years and I love them... Im a power pop/pop punk drummer so im not a real heavy hitter but im fast... they reduce vibration a lot, and they're really lite... Ive never broken a tip, or had it come unscrewed... I dunno why other people r having such hard times with them.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM

thats wierd...

with me, the vibration has decreased....but something else occurs. its not exactly vibrating, but after a while my hands like..go numb.
i dont get it, and i cant explain it. but it feels like my hands are getting bruised.
Im not exactly a heavy hitter, im more of a progressive styled drummer. my favorite music to play is Porcupine Tree's music.

im short on money, hah, and all i need is a broken cymbal on my hands. that could definatly ruin my day...week.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 PM

I played in a Queensryche trib for almost 5 years and bought them kinda becuase of the "look" since Rockenfield uses them, although I use the Joey Jordison models. I have broken a number of them. It is wierd because they just "snap" in half, no bend or anything, they just snap. I get them for a little over $23.00 a pair. I see in my videos I am always tightening the tip out of habit, so aside from that I love'em mostly, but recording you gotta have wood. The last engineer hated them!!! And they do get kinda slippery, I have launched them into the crowd before. They just slide right out of your hand!!!

It's good to have both. Just in case...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

So many people out there always say "I don't like holding onto the metal" That's why 99% of Ahead artists use GRIP TAPE. Your not supposed to hold the metal...

And they don't break cymbals if you play them properly.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
So many people out there always say "I don't like holding onto the metal" That's why 99% of Ahead artists use GRIP TAPE. Your not supposed to hold the metal...

And they don't break cymbals if you play them properly.

whats grip tape??? ive never heard of it, but i want some
Old 06-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
whats grip tape??? ive never heard of it, but i want some
Its this tape you use to grip your sticks. You rap it around them in a certain way and it gives you a better grip. Hence the name "grip tape."
Old 06-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Its this tape you use to grip your sticks. You rap it around them in a certain way and it gives you a better grip. Hence the name "grip tape."
ya, well i think i understand that part.
but like i've never seen it at any stores, or anyhting. maybe ill just look harder
Old 06-01-2007, 07:01 AM

i went to the doctors office today, to get this weird reaction ive been having on my hands.

and they asked if i've been doing anything differnt lately. and i mentioned the drum sticks (ahead sticks) and that they were metal and ive never used them ebfore. and the doctor said i had an allergic reaction to the sticks...and the metal and what not, becuase the reaction started right affter i started using them. super sketchy.

that sucks so much
Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
ya, well i think i understand that part.
but like i've never seen it at any stores, or anyhting. maybe ill just look harder
Yeah i have only seen it in stores once. My drumline uses it. It reaaaaaallly helps. It kills the shock on your hand while doing rimshots and stuff. Also, its just easier to grip.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
i went to the doctors office today, to get this weird reaction ive been having on my hands.

and they asked if i've been doing anything differnt lately. and i mentioned the drum sticks (ahead sticks) and that they were metal and ive never used them ebfore. and the doctor said i had an allergic reaction to the sticks...and the metal and what not, becuase the reaction started right affter i started using them. super sketchy.

that sucks so much
Funny,
I had a doctor check out my hands about a year ago, and they told me to keep playing Ahead sticks. The vibrations in wood had started to develope mild carpl-tunel (sp?) and they told me the metal sticks with the anti-vib system will help reduce it.

Anyway.....
Grip Tape... Ahead, Pro Mark and Vater all make it. I know you can buy it at Guitar Center, or online at musicians friend. I personally use the Ahead tape, it's kinda just the same as everyone elses, but for some reason I like it better.

Or you can always go with gloves... Again Ahead gloves I think are the best, but Zildjian, Pro Mark and Vater also make them.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

mine fall out of my hands way to much, i dont know if anyone said this, im to tired to read all the posts

Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I've had my Lars Ulrich sticks for almost half a year now, and I still prefer the 2$ wood sticks. I like the aheads, don't get me wrong. But they're heavy. But they last long, and are the perfect practice stick. I use mine for practice, so that when i grab a lighter stick, my hands fly.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Ahead sticks

I have been told by other drummers that ahead sticks break ur cymbols i wanna know what every one else thinks. do they break cymbols or not...... Cheers
Old 08-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Pioneer Member

No........ Not yet atleast.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

funny this has just come up i have purchased some today and am hoping they will be fine, fed up with paying for new sticks all the time, trouble is i use zildjian K's and paiste signatures so i am a bit worried lol.. i bought the joey model they are fairly small in diameter so hopefully will be fine..
Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 PM

With Ahead sticks, the metal core inside them makes them prone to destroying things. Most drummers that use these go through heads and cymbals like crazy. At least with wooden sticks you'll break the sticks not your cymbals. The sticks are cheaper and easier to replace than cymbals.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drovja View Post
With Ahead sticks, the metal core inside them makes them prone to destroying things. Most drummers that use these go through heads and cymbals like crazy. At least with wooden sticks you'll break the sticks not your cymbals. The sticks are cheaper and easier to replace than cymbals.
Not true... at all. I have been using aheads for 7 years. I have never destroyed a head and more importantly, I have NEVER damaged or have broken a cymbal.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Well i have a pair of ahead XL rock and 5as

the only con i see for them is the weight.

I've never broken a cymbal whit my aheads; whit the head stuff....
I believe that everything depends of that so hard you hit the heads, I have broken the same amount of heads with my aheads and with the wood ones

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Pioneer Member

If you don't have proper technique and strike the cymbals straight on they will help crack your cymbals quicker because metal just doesn't give as much. With that being said used aheads for 2-3 years and never broke a cymbal. For me I just wasn't happy with the sound on the ride and hi hats which is why I went back to wood.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
with the sound on the ride and hi hats.
i wasn't very happy with that sound too

Tama, Remo, Sabian, Vicfirth
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

I played Ahead sticks for quite a while and i would advise anyone else to use wood for many reasons, the most important reason is that i did find that they broke my cymbals but also they are not balanced very well at all they are really top heavy which makes it harder to play faster rolls cause you have to keep bringing the stick off the head.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:25 AM

I have a pair of Ahead 7Bs, and have yet to break a cymbal or drum head, although I have broken several wooden sticks. It's all in your technique...
Aheads sound a lot different than wood though...If I am playing in a venue that calls for more volume I will use the Aheads. They are pretty well bulletproof!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 AM

AHEAD sticks are great I have the Joey Jordison Autograph Series vesrsion of them...and I have not been to Guitar Center in a LONG TIME!
When I used wood sticks I had to go to Guitar Center every week because I broke them like toothpicks!

They Rock!

xMrJeffx