DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Ahead sticks

I currently use wooden sticks, but yesterday I broke 3 sticks in a row so I am considering to buy a pair of those ahead sticks. I've never had them in my hands so does anybody know if they easily slip out of your hands? And are they really indestructable, I mean would they still be good after 15 years? Do you often have to replace the tips? And isn't it bad for the cymbals, metal on metal? And what about the sound?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't test them somewhere nearby.
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Ahead sticks

If you use the search thing you will find many threads about stick breaking issues..
But ahead sticks can be destroyed. The covers and the stick itself.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:46 PM

I use them..
They're great!
They do slip out of your hands sometimes but Ahead also sells grip tape for they're sticks. It's only about $5 and they are very easy to put on your sticks. They are not Industructible but they could last for 15 years but you have to take good care of them. They can brake if you don't replace the plastic covers soon enough. I normally replace them about every 2 or 3 weeks. If you don't replace them in time they can damage your cymbals too. You don't have to replace the tips a lot. I haven't even replaced mine yet and I've had my sticks for like 6 months.

The sound..
They sound a little different on cymblas but it's not too much difference then wood. You can also get diferent types of tips and that'll make it sound diferent.

-Cody
Old 12-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I currently use wooden sticks, but yesterday I broke 3 sticks in a row so I am considering to buy a pair of those ahead sticks.
Unfortunately it wont solve the problem because your issue seems to be with your technique. I could understand of one pair broke straight away, but to have THREE pairs break quickly would suggest to me that you need to relax your hands a little more, accept the rebound from the drum.

Another issue may be with the sticks youre selecting at the store. Have a read of this document, it can maximize your chances of getting better sticks next time.

http://www.drum.com.au/lessons/oct.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Unfortunately it wont solve the problem because your issue seems to be with your technique. I could understand of one pair broke straight away, but to have THREE pairs break quickly would suggest to me that you need to relax your hands a little more, accept the rebound from the drum.

Another issue may be with the sticks youre selecting at the store. Have a read of this document, it can maximize your chances of getting better sticks next time.

http://www.drum.com.au/lessons/oct.htm
I broke three sticks, not three pairs:p
I almost played them for a year so it was actually normal...

thanks a lot !
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM
ludwig guy

The ahead sticks are great, as long as you replace the covers before you chip the aluminum core of the stick, if you dont, the stick is worthless. I have the Joey Jordison Model, they are great, they are light, and extremely fast. I recommend these sticks
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Has anyone heard of sticks bending but not breaking? I bought a pair of ROCK series and have had them for 2-3 weeks and was playing today and it kinda rolled in my right hand. When I looked at it it was bent. I though I must have broken it so I took the cover off and it was totally solid. No cracks, dents or anything like that. the cover is barely worn as I have used them for maybe 15-20 hrs of playing time. I never break wood sticks and they get whitled down to where you would think the tip would snap off before I stop using them.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Hiya all...

I basically have 3 types of Sticks I use. I use the Ahead 7a and also the 5a. I also use Promark 747's. Yea I know a strange range if sticks. LOL

The aheads are great I use em in the studio mainly. the 7a's for jazz and the mellower stuff. The 5a's for when I am after a more heavy sound. Pretty much the 747s are reserved for live. I also dont break sticks. Now very important with the aheads. If you cut the cover the stick is gonna break. The cover is part of the stucture of the stick. Also if ya hit a cymbal. Well you got metal to metal contact. Bad for the stick really hard on the cymbal. Since the 7a and the 5a use the same cover. I keep about 4 sets of the covers around. I also have a couple sets of the tips. Have not had to replace any tips at all. Hope ya kept the case and docs for em. Cause you need to follow the instructions they give ya for replacing the sleeves. Dont ever try to cut em off. One nick to the metal core of the stick. You can kiss em goodbye. That according to Ahead is the most common failure of the stick. And on removing the tips.. Use the biz card trick they talk about. Keeps the tips from getting nicked up.

After I play with the aheads I always check out the covers pretty closely. If you gonna gig with these, Get an extra pair so if ya do cut one you not forced to keep using it.

And yea the things are slick LOL They will fly through your fingers. I dont use grip tape I play with gloves most of the time.

Hope this helps ya out.

Mike

PS These are great sticks. However note. If your breaking sticks on a regular basis you should be checking on a few other things. Cause you could end up breaking a 30 dollar set of sticks. But with a little care These will last ya for months if not years. My sets are going on 3 years old now.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

I use the Tommy Lee model when my hands start to cramp or beat up too much from wood. I always use them with grip tape and gloves and they NEVER slip. Just make sure you use the grip tape...
I change the covers on them regularly and have no problems with them cracking cymbals. I do hoever beat up the core of the sticks real bad. Every time I change the covers the core is all dented and bashed around, I have only broken maybe 2 pair in the last year though. So no complaints from me.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 PM

I have used the Ahead sticks for years and have only ever broken one stick. I have the 7A, 5B, and I bought the ROCK model as I started jamming with this new guitar player and felt like I needed a little beefier stick. The problem is that I have had these sticks for 2-3 weeks and it has bent. There is Very little wear on the cover so that is a non-issue. I called the customer service #1-800 and the guy said he had only heard of that happening once in 15yrs!!! I guess it is just one bad stick and I happened to buy it.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:38 AM

Do yourself a favor and dont look at aheads. Metal on metal is not good for your cymbals. Yes they dont break easy but its better spending $5 on a stick is better then a new cymbal.

a few years ago my Zildjian A Splash was a victim of aheads, could bought a brick of vic's that will last just as long as aheads. instead had to shell out $80 to replace the cymbal
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 AM

I'll help you out Zil.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
Do yourself a favor and dont look at aheads. Metal on metal is not good for your cymbals. Yes they dont break easy but its better spending $5 on a stick is better then a new cymbal.

a few years ago my Zildjian A Splash was a victim of aheads, could bought a brick of vic's that will last just as long as aheads. instead had to shell out $80 to replace the cymbal

I'm wondering, how people say they break you're cymbals. The sticks are covered by plastic, wich is softer than wood, and aslong as the sleeves are not showing the metal core, i dont see how they would damage your cymbals... Unless you're using the handells of the sticks.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdrummer1 View Post
I'm wondering, how people say they break you're cymbals. The sticks are covered by plastic, wich is softer than wood, and aslong as the sleeves are not showing the metal core, i dont see how they would damage your cymbals... Unless you're using the handells of the sticks.
Every time I have broken a cymbal it has been with wood sticks...
Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

I have been using Ahead 2b's for years. My crash cymbals are all "thin" I have never damged one of them. I say improper playing breaks them, not the sticks. That's my opinion..
Old 02-02-2007, 09:19 PM

I'm gonna say it now that I don't know why they break cymbal, but they do. I have seen some pretty amazing thing as a result of aheads, and from my understanding, the are hell on your wrist. I have never used them myself, but oh the things I have seen. In person, not just over the internet.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman92 View Post
I'm gonna say it now that I don't know why they break cymbal, but they do. I have seen some pretty amazing thing as a result of aheads, and from my understanding, the are hell on your wrist. I have never used them myself, but oh the things I have seen. In person, not just over the internet.
LOL The truth comes out like it normally does. "I have never used em myself" Then how can you say they are hell on your wrists? I know lots of guys that use em. And ya know, I have watched tons of folks use em. Im a monitor mix guy so I have a really good view. Never ever seen a cymbal broken cause of the aheads. Next point. If these things are so bad. How come MANY and I mean MANY Pro guys use em?

Internet filter on high. What it comes down to is this. You play what you feel comfortable with. Read between the lines on a lot of negative posts and you find out whats really going on. Ive seen wood sticks break cymbals. Would I stop using wood? Would you based on what I just said? Oh well...

Mike
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

I'll say it again....

I have been using Ahead 2b's for years. My crash cymbals are all "thin" I have never damged one of them. I say improper playing breaks them, not the sticks. That's my opinion.. I have also had no problems with my hands or wrist.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM

The hell on the wrist is just what I've heard becuase of shock transfer.

Like in hockey. I'm a goalie and I will not use a composite stick because of the shock transfer. I personally know the guy that did all the testing for the sticks and he had a bad case of CTS after the first day.

Why do so many pro's use them?

Money talks

They are getting paid quite a bit of cash to play them and the are sponsered by cymbal companies so they don't worry about breaking their cymbals.

Cymbals will break. I know there are people here that have been using aheads for years for years and have not yet broken a cymbal. oh, and to the guy with all thin cymbals. Thin cymbals are less prone to breaking because the metal can transfer the shock easier then a heavy cymbal because it can flex easier. Based on what I have seen, the wood/ahead cymbal breaking ratio is about 1/4 or something like that.

If you wanna keep using them, that's your choice and I won't tell you that your wrong for it
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Aheads are hell on your wrists??? I started using them again because I started playing with a metal band and my pro-mark 747s were tearing my hands and wrist apart. My sticks were flying out of my hands and cutting them to ribbons. I switched to Ahead Rock sticks with Ahead gloves and I was back to being totally in control and relaxed. I used to break cymbals when I was younger with these sticks but I was also using Sabian B8pro. Those things lasted me a month or two at most back then, probably due to poor technique and that fact that I don't hit nearly as hard as I used to! The last cymbal I broke was a 10yr old Sabian AA but that was with Promark 747's. I think Ahead sticks are great.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Like I said. I have only heard of them being bad on your wrist. And it makes sense based on my experiences with composite hockey sticks. Though they are light, the is a good bit of shock transfer and I won't use a composite goalie stick, nor a 1 peice composite players stick.

Back on task. I love my Pro mark 747 Jap white oaks. I will never use another stick unless it's a heavier one for practicing on a pad with. Maybe the 747 just wasn't your size and why you were having trouble, buy I have no problems at all.

Oh. and you know why they have the gloves? Shock transfer.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Consultant

If you happen to like the feel of Ahead sticks...fine.

If you need to use them because of a stick shock problem... you need to look at your technique.

I don't buy the "I'm a metal player so I hit hard" argument. For every drummer that uses Ahead sticks I can name 10 that hit harder that don't.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post

If you need to use them because of a stick shock problem... you need to look at your technique.

Agreed. I think it's actually quite obvious that if your playing style is causing physical injury, there is something definitely wrong. Rather than a change of drumstick to lessen the damage caused through poor technique - which is what it is - a visit to a very good teacher is in order.

I'd just like to add something here. I believe the most important aspect of any physical activity, such as drumming, is a good understanding of the importance of basics. Proper stick technique being right at the top of the basics list. Without a grounding in the basics of technique, becoming truly advanced is most difficult. In martial arts there is a saying that reflects this:

"In the beginning basics are nothing. But in the end, basics are everything."

I beleive this is very true of drumming.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 PM

I find them uncomortable but other then that I give them thumbs up!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:02 PM

A note on the gloves comes to mind here. Ya wear the gloves or use stick tape because they are slippery little devils. I also use the promark 747 japanese oaks, with gloves.

And to further this statement about glove usage for shock control... LOL Zildjian also sells gloves. And they sell wood sticks. Gloves are a comfort kinda thing. Also gloves help a lot with stick control. You know Having a light grip and allowing the stick to move without having to hold em in a death grip.

And with the majority of an aheads weight being past the grips. Do the physics. Shock transfer is minimized.. And I do believe they address that topic on aheads site.

And now to the hockey stick analogy... What does a hockey stick have to do with a drum stick. And your talking composite and were talking metal encased in plastic..

A word of advice. There is a reason "here-say" evidance is not allowed in court. And I would bet that with at least 70% of these DRASTIC conclusions that some make around here fall into that catagory. Dig into the story and find out if that person ACTUALLY uses that item. I mean if you used em and absolutly hate em that is one thing.

As far an not using composite hockey sticks that a matter of personal preference. I bet you could find as many hockey players that swear by em. So if I needed advice on hockey sticks I guess I now know an expert on the topic and would surely ask.

Sheeeez
Mike

Last edited by Pearl Player; 02-03-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post

ok there you go.. here is a true user of them.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman92 View Post
ok there you go.. here is a true user of them.
You have a point +1. However. Read the quote. Metal on Metal contact is not good. Then read folks talking about the covers. If the covers are in good shape. Well You dont have metal to Metal contact. Even Ahead warns ya about cover integrity.

That part just triggers my Internet Statement Filter. Yea if the covers are shot and ya dont replace em you most likely will damage a cymbal... Think if it like this.

Your brake pads/shoes wear down to the metal and you dont replace em and chew up a disk or drum.. Where is the fault. The pads? or the fact that you didnt do the proper servicing...

Mike
Old 02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player View Post
You have a point +1. However. Read the quote. Metal on Metal contact is not good. Then read folks talking about the covers. If the covers are in good shape. Well You dont have metal to Metal contact. Even Ahead warns ya about cover integrity.

Mike

I don't think it is so much the cushion effect of the soft outer coating, but rather the lack of fleixibility inherant in metal that causes a problem.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

If you believe Aheads are a superior stick, play a crosstick with them and youll go back to wood sticks permanently.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player View Post
Even with the cover its still risky. Where does the shock go when you hit your cymbal or heads? When you use a wood stick it goes to them and you feel it. If you have a problem with to much shock then your technique is bad. Aheads, the shock goes to the cymbal or head which will probably shorten there life. To be honest id rather buy sticks then a new cymbal or heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player
How come MANY and I mean MANY Pro guys use em?
Because there being paid to use them. Even there biggest name players hate them (lars)
Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 AM

following that logic. Perhaps you should change to rubber sticks.

As I have said 3 times now. Its what feels good to you. And yea I dont like em for cross sticking.

Like I have also said now 3 times I use both wood and the aheads.

You will find proponents and opponents to everything in life. What I was pointing out is folks that have an opinion based on here-say not actual experience. Nothing more nothing less.

On that note I am done with this one LOL. The original poster here im sure has enough information to form his own opinion.

As was said in a really old TV show, "Just the facts Ma'am"

Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 AM

exactly, I hate a bad experience with aheads. You havent so thats good you found something you like. Im very fond of my vic firth HD9's so I dont have to search for the perfect stick anymore, which is half the battle
Old 02-25-2007, 11:14 AM

I am using Ahead 5B and I have had no problems with them but I let a few people try them out and they did more damage to them playing 3 or 4 songs then I did in a month of rock n roll. I also looked at THEIR wood sticks and they were severly chewed up! So I am left with one conclusion they do not know how to properly hit a crash cymbal! No drumstick will last forever if you play them but knowing how to play with them will cut down on replacing drumsticks!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Like I have said before. I have been using aheads for 5 or more years. I play metal/ rock with plenty of rimshots without breaking them. I have broken maybe 4 sticks over the years. How can you say they aren't for rim shots? A wooden stick can snap easier or maybe I should say just as easy. A lot of people think ahead's are unbreakable but they aren't. They can break, they can bend if you play out of hand (poor technique) For me, they are the best sticks. As I have also said before, they aren't for everyone. The covers should be inspected before you play. I have never had one (just split) If they look splintered, replace them.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:35 AM

I've never used Aheads but the best point I could think of for not using them is that they cost $30 in the first place and then you have to buy new covers every so often so you don't cause metal to metal contact on a cymbal. That sounds a bit weird to me. The cheapest I could find new covers is $3. I'm sure there are cheaper packages but say you have to change the covers every month. Thats $30 plus 11 months of new covers ($33), equaling somewhere around $63, not including tax or a few more or less replacements. A reasonable estimate, I'd say. I could buy about 8 different pairs of wooden sticks that I like (probably more), including different sizes. I don't break sticks often at all so the Aheads don't seem like the sticks for me.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgiandrummer View Post
I currently use wooden sticks, but yesterday I broke 3 sticks in a row so I am considering to buy a pair of those ahead sticks. I've never had them in my hands so does anybody know if they easily slip out of your hands? And are they really indestructable, I mean would they still be good after 15 years? Do you often have to replace the tips? And isn't it bad for the cymbals, metal on metal? And what about the sound?

Sorry for all the questions but I can't test them somewhere nearby.
Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!
I have a pair of ahead tico torres model...well they are surely the hardest sticks around and look very cool...
They doesn't slip easily 'cos the grip side is made by a rough material (fiberglass?), but I use them with the gloves on, 'cos that material causes irritation on my fingers (:p).
Don't worry for the cymbals 'cos the tip is made of nylon...obviously if you don't prefer the sound of a wood tip!
They are too heavy and too elastic at the same time so I decided to use them only for practice...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

right its funny haha but i have the joey jordison sticks. they were a gift so nobody laugh. i have to say they have lasted me so long, and they make my kit sound so different. not better ot worse but they just change the whole sound of the snare. for insance on a track i recorded i used wooden then the aheads and it sounds like 2 different snares. thats my bit on aheads.
Tom
Old 03-08-2007, 10:17 AM

they are good sticks for the moeny you pay!!! they make your kit sound completely different compared to woodern sticks, i find with the ahead sticks that i can play faster rythyms and not feel as tierd as i would with woodern sticks, plus you've got the fact that the ahead sticks are perfectly matched in weight, insted of having maybe one heavyer than the other with a pair of woodern ones, i have the lars urlich pair and they have lasted me the best part of 6-8 months and ive totaly thrashed my kit for the best part of 2-3 hours a day playing metal, the other cool thing is if you break say a nylon tip, it can be easly replaced also you dont feel the vibration you get from woodern sticks, the only thing which i think that sucks is that they are heavyer towards the front of the stick and you get allot of bounce from that detail, but other than that a very good pair or sticks!!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM

I once thought of trying those Aheads. Went to the store, checked them out and I must say if you want to be at least a bit technical about drumming, they´re the wrong choice. Doubles and finger bounce stuff wouldn´t really work for me with Ahead sticks. Well, for metal drumming it´s quite appropriate. I also play metal but as I am no hard hitter, there´s no need for anything else than hickory.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM

With most Ahead products they leave a black stuff on your hands after. I would only use for Electric Kits (IMO) but w/e.