DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Has anyone owned/played a Mapex janus double bass pedal?

Has anyone owned/played a Mapex janus double bass pedal? If so can you let me know what they're like, i was thinking of buying one, but my drum teacher told me that mapex pedals aren't all that great. is this true?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Synthetik

Default Re: Has anyone owned/played a Mapex janus double bass pedal?

Well according to the seldom used SEARCH function, a lot of people have:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...earchid=604331
Old 12-02-2006, 04:21 PM

actually, that link leads to a "sorry, no threads found" message - quite ironic...

I'm sure there have been some though- do a search and see what you come up with.

My own $0.02 - janus pedals are absolutly terrible, whe single worst pedals I've ever come accross. I've never quite worked out why to be honest, they just feel awful - I work at a college with 3 singles and a double janus and they just don't do what your foot does - whereas I've had no problem with lower end mapex pedals, or any other pedals really. I'd get something else - but it may be just personal taste.

Having said that, there are almost no pros who use them - most mapex endorsees use DW, or sleishman (wil calhoun) or anything else pretty much. which does tend to tell you something.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh View Post
actually, that link leads to a "sorry, no threads found" message - quite ironic...
Really?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...earchid=604888
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

I get the "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." message also...
Old 12-02-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
yeah - if you read my post I'm not disagreeing with you, I know janus have been discussed before - but just cos you post a new link doesn't mean the old one doesn't lead to a 'no matches' page - which made me chuckle.

if you meant that "really?" the way it looked then lighten up - there's nothing wrong with seeing the funny side.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I'm sure there have been some though- do a search and see what you come up with.

My own $0.02 - janus pedals are absolutly terrible, whe single worst pedals I've ever come accross. I've never quite worked out why to be honest, they just feel awful - I work at a college with 3 singles and a double janus and they just don't do what your foot does - whereas I've had no problem with lower end mapex pedals, or any other pedals really. I'd get something else - but it may be just personal taste.

Having said that, there are almost no pros who use them - most mapex endorsees use DW, or sleishman (wil calhoun) or anything else pretty much. which does tend to tell you something.
Off topic, you sure Will Calhoun uses Sleishman? I have a Duallist advert in the latest Drummer mag with Will Calhoun at the bottom holding a Duallist...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
yeah - if you read my post I'm not disagreeing with you, I know janus have been discussed before - but just cos you post a new link doesn't mean the old one doesn't lead to a 'no matches' page - which made me chuckle.

if you meant that "really?" the way it looked then lighten up - there's nothing wrong with seeing the funny side.

There has been occasion when I seach for something myself..."No matches" search again a week later...I get 3 pages of stuff. Weird...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
Off topic, you sure Will Calhoun uses Sleishman? I have a Duallist advert in the latest Drummer mag with Will Calhoun at the bottom holding a Duallist...
Yeah, he may use both - for his main kick (he uses a 22 and an 18) he uses a sleishman pedal most of the time - it's weird, neither pedal is main, they're both slaves that are equidistant from the drum - so he basically straddles his main bassdrum. He may well use a duallist on his other drum or something, but if you check sleishmans website, he's on there. It's a weird pedal, worth a look for interests sake anyway.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
There has been occasion when I seach for something myself..."No matches" search again a week later...I get 3 pages of stuff. Weird...
I second that, it's quite strange. I've done searches for stuff like "buddy rich" before and got nothing on occasions....not a great search facility.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah, he may use both - for his main kick (he uses a 22 and an 18) he uses a sleishman pedal most of the time - it's weird, neither pedal is main, they're both slaves that are equidistant from the drum - so he basically straddles his main bassdrum. He may well use a duallist on his other drum or something, but if you check sleishmans website, he's on there. It's a weird pedal, worth a look for interests sake anyway.

Isn't it the same as the Sonor one where the beaters are in the middle and both pedals are slaves? I've heard of Sleishman before and I think that could be why.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
Isn't it the same as the Sonor one where the beaters are in the middle and both pedals are slaves? I've heard of Sleishman before and I think that could be why.
yeah, it's the same design. I think sleishman did it first - they've been making weird and innovative hardware for years, whereas the giant-step range from sonor is relatively new, but I may be wrong. It's an interesting idea...
Old 12-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Synthetik

The new off-set pedal is $250 and it follows the centered concept. Both l/r are equals.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:32 PM

I am pretty happy with my Janus pedal. It served me well, but I use a Dw 9000 double pedal as my main pedal now... It is not as responsive as a DW and it does not have the same smoothness.. But it is rock solid. And Aquilies Priester kicks ass with them;)