DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: John Bonham

That is awesome! Great pic. I skipped school the day after he died.

Last edited by slingerland755; 02-22-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
http://www.drummagazine.com/images/...ham-traps07.pdf

the best bonham article yet. great pics and transcriptions.

j
That was a great article.

Thanks for the link Nutha.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Great article on JHB, man I could read about him forever. Thanks NJ.

Animal Life Savers
Old 03-16-2008, 04:06 AM

Hey everyone -- first post so I hope I don't offend anyone. . .

I tend to think Bonzo was one of the best that ever lived and played the drums, and quite possibly (albeit arguably,) the greatest rock drummer ever. I have seen Carmine live at a clinic (and I own a couple of his videos, ) and he also IS awesome, but I wouldn't compare him to JHB too much; just seem to me they are in different arenas. . . I just listened to John's live cut of Moby Dick that's posted on the site again, and man, that one is KILLER.

I agree with the peacekeepers however; we all have our opinions, there is no such thing as perfect, so let's just keep on keepin' on with what we do best -- ROCK & ROLL!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 PM

A true drumgod in every way of rockdrumming.
My biggest influence by far !

Greets ! :)
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Senior Administrator

i used image capture to get a whole load of pics of bonham (12 of them) including these two which show bonham playing heel up and also how he holds his sticks. go here to see the rest
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id47.html

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Not quite sure what he had left to acheive.....
He could have joined this forum, for one thing!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Senior Administrator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1DDiLyQZk

watch it!

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

WOW....................Yeah!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Wow - great stuff Jason! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:12 AM

Has anyone listened to the album Coda? If you listen to "Bonzo's Montreux" you can hear his squeaky bass drum pedal clear as day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9FBBrff3A
You can really hear it at the .29-.36 mark
Old 05-31-2008, 06:50 PM

Happy Birthday John Bonham!!!! Greatest rock drummer ever!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Not quite sure what he had left to acheive.....
Oh, come on. Look at guys like Weckl and Steve Smith... amazing players at a young age and into musical maturity, but they went to a guru to improve to whatever extent they believed they needed.

Of course, Bonzo was... let's just say... very self-confident, but you never know what could have been in his future. He may have gone the jazz route like Baker and Watts. He may have done clinics and, as mentioned, gone to an old jazz guru to sharpen his skills. You never know, he may have switched to traditional grip at some point.

It's a flounder in the impossible to second-guess what could have been, but you can't say that somebody at the age of 40 is done achieving things. Buddy got better with age, so has Vinnie, Smith... blah, blah, blah.

At any rate, he changed the scope of drumming forever.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
...Of course, Bonzo was... let's just say... very self-confident, but you never know what could have been in his future. ...

At any rate, he changed the scope of drumming forever.
Hey Ian,

I agree that it's a fool's game to predict what "could have happened". John Bonham was both very talented and creative. He probably would have continued to grow and improve.

However, he may not have been as self-confident as you think. According to Robert Plant quoted here: http://www.drummagazine.com/images/b...am-traps07.pdf, John was not feeling very confident in his abilities. Plant quotes John, on the day before his death, as saying: 的致e had it with playing drums. Everybody plays better than me. I値l tell you what, when we get to the rehearsal, you play the drums and I値l sing."

Apparently, even the very best doubt their abilities.

He is truly missed!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrider View Post
Hey Ian,

I agree that it's a fool's game to predict what "could have happened". John Bonham was both very talented and creative. He probably would have continued to grow and improve.

However, he may not have been as self-confident as you think. According to Robert Plant quoted here: http://www.drummagazine.com/images/b...am-traps07.pdf, John was not feeling very confident in his abilities. Plant quotes John, on the day before his death, as saying: 的致e had it with playing drums. Everybody plays better than me. I値l tell you what, when we get to the rehearsal, you play the drums and I値l sing."

Apparently, even the very best doubt their abilities.

He is truly missed!
Well, it's also quite likely he was drunk off his gourd. That is how he died, remember. I've been really drunk (I don't drink anymore) in the past, and made similar ridiculous statements.

But whatever. His life beyond 1980 was not meant to be. We need to understand the consequences of drug/alcohol abuse as the most important lesson we could ever learn from that man... even more important than his drumming, imo.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Without his drumming, that would not be such an effective lesson. There are thousands of people destroying themselves with even more gusto at this very moment, and few will heed their lessons.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Without his drumming, that would not be such an effective lesson. There are thousands of people destroying themselves with even more gusto at this very moment, and few will heed their lessons.
That isn't at all my point.

Life is more precious than drumming ability. I'd rather Bonzo have quit drumming AND alcohol, over what happened to him.

Somebody could be a alcoholic drummer with a family and decide (for whatever reason) to quit both. I'm sure the wife and kids would be just fine with dad being a construction worker who's still alive, than a dead drummer.

If Bonzo's life lessons mean anything, it should be that you pick life before partying... and even before drumming.

Do you see what I mean?
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 AM

I love Bonzo.
His playing was incredible.
He is in my opinion one of the most powerful drummers ever.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
That isn't at all my point.

Life is more precious than drumming ability. I'd rather Bonzo have quit drumming AND alcohol, over what happened to him.

Somebody could be a alcoholic drummer with a family and decide (for whatever reason) to quit both. I'm sure the wife and kids would be just fine with dad being a construction worker who's still alive, than a dead drummer.

If Bonzo's life lessons mean anything, it should be that you pick life before partying... and even before drumming.

Do you see what I mean?
Yes, of course...

...do you think he would have picked life over drumming?
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 AM

How come nobody on here has the balls to just say he was the greatest drummer of the rock era? Hands down. Not one of, but the. You know it's true. No single human has ever done as much for rock drumming as he has. 30 years later and that is still an indisputable fact.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

That is difficult to argue with. Zeppelin showed everyone how to do rock music, and they've been doing it ever since. Bonham was an essential part of that. I'm a big fan!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shores511 View Post
How come nobody on here has the balls to just say he was the greatest drummer of the rock era? Hands down. Not one of, but the. You know it's true. No single human has ever done as much for rock drumming as he has. 30 years later and that is still an indisputable fact.
Cos other people have balls to think that maybe drummers like Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, etc. were just as good or even better??
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

To start off Bonham is my fav. my username say it all.The way I see it is that Bonham too

Rock drumming is like Hendrix was too Rock guitar yes there is probably better technical

drummers but nobody brought drums too the forefront like Bonham did IMO Keith Moon is

the only other drummer that comes close for that time.Bonham brung

Tympani's,Gongs,Big Bass Drums,only a 5 piece kit and played the kit

with his hands.I know there were other drummers that did that but again he brung it to the

forefront just like Hendrix played the Guitar with his teeth,behind his back,and was the

master of feedback yes there was probably other guitar players that did that but again

he brung it too the forefront.They (Bonham & Hendrix) were Original,the Real Deal and

that's why their legacy lives on.

Keep Swatin'
Bonzolead
Old 06-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
Cos other people have balls to think that maybe drummers like Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, Neil Peart, etc. were just as good or even better??
The fact that Bonham gets voted number 1 rock drummer in polls, or number 2 drummer after Buddy Rich, suggests he made quite an impression on people. The real question is, what aspects of his drumming were it that impressed people and continue to do so even now?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
The fact that Bonham gets voted number 1 rock drummer in polls, or number 2 drummer after Buddy Rich, suggests he made quite an impression on people. The real question is, what aspects of his drumming were it that impressed people and continue to do so even now?
HIs groove, feel and his general approach to drumming and the passion/energy he put into his playing is what makes him stands out the most. When one plays from the soul - that's when people's attention is aroused. Bonham did that.
My point was, all this silly business of 'greatest drummer of all time' is just going to get people nowhere (as it has been said THOUSANDS of times) - he was a damn great drummer - I think that says enough, as well as the fact Zeppelin are amongst the highest credited rock musicians of all time.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 AM

Just wanted to wish Bonzo a belated birthday... he would have been 60 two Saturdays ago. I watched The Song Remains the Same and some of the concerts on the DVD in his honor.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Sticks he used, what size?

I have read different things about what stick size Bonzo used, anyone have the real info?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:37 AM

Hi fellow Bonham lovers. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. What I loved about Bonham's drumming was his power combined with his groove. His natural feel for time. His ability to be understated - to do nothing where other mere mortals would have to do a fill - eg Kashmir, For Your Life, Levee. The bass drum work in "Good Times Bad Times" always gets special mention, but listen to the drumming towards the end of the song for an illustration of his ability to manipulate time. The fills in D'yer Maker is another example. I watched the great Steve Smith perform Bonham licks but it was just the great Steve Smith performing Bonham licks. Capturing the soul and essence of Bonham's style is what's difficult and elusive....

He is missed!

Last edited by HardJazz; 06-11-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Remembered new example!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Sticks he used, what size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Timekeeper View Post
I have read different things about what stick size Bonzo used, anyone have the real info?
this is a good question. everyone says he played with the biggest sticks available, 'trees' but I think I have read an interview with Jason Bonham where he said he actually used 5A or 5Bs sometimes. I think he also used Promuco sticks. He probably changed quite often.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer wannabe View Post
Has anyone listened to the album Coda? If you listen to "Bonzo's Montreux" you can hear his squeaky bass drum pedal clear as day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9FBBrff3A
You can really hear it at the .29-.36 mark
and also I believe at the start of the second break he hits the rim of the snare instead of the head.Justs goes to show he was human LOL "Poor Tom" is one of my favorites off that album as usual for Bonham such a great snare & bass drum groove with the hi-hat to keep it all there.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Being a huge led zeppelin fan, and of course of Bonzo, I just want to mention that his drum work was HUGE over the years he played, I admire him for his creativity (specially for fills), for his unmatched power, and his capacity to play at weird time signatures and the way he could play drums in a gentle way (ghost notes everywhere) while sounding the Bonham way.
But I think if you wanna explore Bonham and Led Zep completely you have to go the bootleg way, I mean there are live performances where you can hear his AMAZING fills and technique, this guy was a monster, he improvised his playing "on the fly", his bass drum is incredibly fast in some shows (faster than anything recorded on the albums), you can also hear his influences his different types of playing. He was indisputably a corner stone for Hard Rock drum playing.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM

Bonham is my favorite drummer.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 AM

I rember my 1st concert @ The Forum in L.A. 1977........
Led Zep and BONZO in the house ! Man, What an experience.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Rebel

John Bonham....Moby Dick, Immigrant Song, The Ocean, Ramble On....John Bonham
Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

John Henry Bonham was great.
So crazy during Moby Dick to play with his hands (it made the snare sound like a bongo, but who cares).
One of the greatest EVER!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
doorstilend

a thunder of drums best drummer ever IMO
Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM

He is my favorite and most influencial drummer, he knew what all of this is about, the feel, the power, the techniche, everything! For me he's the best drummer ever he actually was the reason i started playing and has been with me ever since. RIP Bonzo you truly rock!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
John Henry Bonham was great.
So crazy during Moby Dick to play with his hands (it made the snare sound like a bongo, but who cares).
One of the greatest EVER!
When Bonzo played the snare drum with his hands during Moby Dick he turned his snares off that's why it sounded like a bongo or even a timbale the clearity is better.They'll never be another one like him. besides my dad he is my greatest influence.

Bonzolead
Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 AM

has anyone hear some of his early Zep solos, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d-RZFxwcX0

he played slightly different but still with the bonhamesque hit, he was crazy, hear that bass drum.

BTW, from 5: 20 to 5:55 is that humanly possible?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM

My first big influence.

His legacy grows as the years pass.

Even stuff I didn't like at the time like The Crunge, Fool In The Rain, Hots On For Nowhere were years ahead of their time.

The James Dean of drumming....