DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: John Bonham

smoking on tv. hahaha.

i've always felt a bit embarassed for john in that first one but the second one is cool.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 05-02-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

i've always felt a bit embarassed for john in that first one but the second one is cool.

j
Apparently it was supposed to go that way, it was a comedy show I believe...if I'm wrong tell me, but my dad said he was playing along.

Word.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15840
Old 05-02-2006, 05:51 PM

I totally agree with all that you have replied here.
Think if he had lived today, maybe he had been much better, simply said, in his own class.

As bonzo said before Led Zeppelin's live concert in Royal Albert Hall, 1970:
"If my fills won't work today, I will quit drumming"
This shows that he was bloody serious with his dooings!

(Sorry for bad english, but my teacher sucks-bigtime)
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM

I haven't seen that first interview in years. Those two had been friends for years and years. He was John's guest at the Melody Maker awards in 1976. John was nervous about the interview, and was drinking heavily before it as well. Billy sugested that they completely spoof it by him asking long confusing questions, and John just shrugging them off. Which is what exactly happened.

There's an article about it in the October 2005 issue of Mojo Magazine, the one dedicated to the 25th anniversary of John's death.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboKnife
Apparently it was supposed to go that way, it was a comedy show I believe...if I'm wrong tell me, but my dad said he was playing along.
I think you are right because if I am not mistaken Billy Connolly is not only a actor but a Irish comedian. By the way he was great in BOONDOCK SAINTS! The greatest movie of all time!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Administrator

och nee...ee wus scotush. buh ee wud be greetful of yer comunts.

billy is known for his chance taking and off the cuff humour. you can't get it right all of the time...and in the bonham interview the gag fell flat.

j

Old 05-06-2006, 11:39 PM

On the intro to Rock & Roll:

Bonham starts it with a pick up like the familiar Elvis guitar lick on Jailhouse Rock which starts on the "an" of beat three in the pick up measure. Knowing Bonham's sense of humor maybe he had that idea in his head and then change it in the 3rd bar.

Accent story for Rock & Roll (accents in bold)

Pick up
|(1 + 2 + 3) + 4 + | 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |

| 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + | 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |

| 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + || (1) Songs starts on "1" not a pick up
Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Zeppelin rules.
John The greatest.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Administrator

why?

Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 PM

Just wanted to share a transcription of "Rock and Roll" that I put together for myself as a practice aid/study tool. It's very straight ahead and helped me get the tune down so that I feel pretty comfortable playing it with the record or with a group (if someone were to ever call for it)

It would be great if someone else were to get some use of of this or if anyone had any comments or suggestions. Putting it together was very helpful, so maybe some of the benefit is lost by just using the PDF below as is. Still, at the very least, it can be used to compare to your own ideas about the tune if nothing else.

Thanks,
Scott

Rock and Roll: Super Straight Ahead
Old 05-11-2006, 03:31 PM

FYI: I edited to the above PDF: Fixed a couple typos and a notation error (5-11-06)
Old 05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Administrator

that's very neat. thanks manchu.

now go and do 'bonzo's montreaux'...kidding...unless you can?
j

Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
that's very neat. thanks manchu.

now go and do 'bonzo's montreaux'...kidding...unless you can?
j
:)

Well, that would be a good one - maybe at least the basics of it. Isn't that one pieced together from various studio stuff he played? You'd almost need a score with the various instruments - sounds fun to me!
Old 05-18-2006, 04:05 PM

Hey, here's another transcription I'd like to share. It's the first chorus of "I Can't Quit You, Babe" from Coda.

This has always been my favorite recording of the tune and in just the first chorus it shows most of Bonham's signature slow blues phrasing style: broken trips in the bass, subdividing the 8th note into 2s and 3s, extended phrase ending fills, great sound and great rhythm. One thing he doesn't do in the first chorus that he does on other tunes is keep the 8th note pulse going with his foot during extended fills. Other than that, it's got alot of the Bonham spice.

I don't think there's tab out for this particular recording (maybe there is), so that's another reason I thought it would be nice to share it.

I excitedly picked this album up when I was in high school when it originally came out on vinyl. That release of the album attributed this tune to a sound check before a gig. Until it was corrected recently to be attributed to an actual concert at Royal Albert Hall (and is included in the DVD boxed set), I had always thought, "Damn, for a sound check, these guys are really leaving it all on the bandstand!" Who knows? They probably did play soundchecks like that.

ICantQuitYouBabe.pdf
Old 05-20-2006, 07:38 PM

Hi. Here's another transcription I'd like to share with the forum:

GoodTimesBadTimes.pdf

It's just the intro and first verse going into the first chorus. I can't play it anywhere near tempo, so I'm working on getting it down better before moving further into the tune.

Anyway, the thing I added to this transcription that I don't see in any tabs or any other transcriptions are Bonham's bell pattern variations. He changes the pattern up and adds little embellishments beyond just pinging out 8ths all day on his bell. In my opinion, it adds a very nice, perceptible spice to the groove and gives it alot of life beyond the basic pattern people probably learn for this groove. For me, it aso gives insight into additonal possibilities that can be tested out on the groove as well as material for variety so things don't get stale.

Another thing I added was notating the 1 bar fill going into the verse in triplet form. This fill really feels and sounds like medium/up-tempo swing to me (if you consider the 8th note subdivision in the hi-hat as a quarter note in medium/up-tempo swing), so I notated it as 16th note trips to emphasize this impression.

I play a 4 piece Ludwig kit, so this is adapted for my intrument. The notation might not be 100% standard, so please don't hesitate to ask if something looks weird or if you see another way something could have been played or notated.

Thanks.

Last edited by CooManChu; 05-20-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
DrummerMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopseSlayer
When you guys talk about Bonham's triplets, are you referring to the "broken triplets" he does on like Good Times, Bad Times or something else?
I have the sheet music and he does do broken triplets on Good Times, Bad times.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:02 AM

This was and is good. He paved the way for live rock drumming. Zep was the first true jamband.

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 05-21-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

anyone know where to get any zeppelin bootlegs.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:05 AM

Google :)

Try this site for a nice index:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~qr6y-ykt/index.html

and it looks like there are tons of sites with people trading and stuff.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd4drumz
This was and is good. He paved the way for live rock drumming. Zep was the first true jamband.
I'm going to have to say that on that last detail you are wrong. I think Cream beat them to that title.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontgetfooledagain
I'm going to have to say that on that last detail you are wrong. I think Cream beat them to that title.

Grateful Dead could take the title to IMO.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

ya know what I realized, if like Vic Firth or Pro Mark made Bonham sized sticks and marketed them as those I think those would be highly profitable, I know I'd buy them.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:25 PM

1. Zep's over-rated.
2. Bonzo is MORE talented than page or plant put together.
3. Most of Zep's songs were plagarized... google it if you don't believe me or just listen to the
small faces "You need lovin'" for one blatent example and you will see who plant tries to
sound like, but sounds like a ridiculous parady of.
4. Plant was real creepy looking, still is. He gives me the willies.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Administrator

you are entitled to your opinions of course. a lot of bands in those days were expert cover bands. ever read a rolling stones anthology? so i don't think you should judge them too harshly.
bonzo had a different talent topage and plant so i don't see how you could make that sort of statement. all 4 members of the band were immensely talented...just the ego's were different. it was the done thing for the singer to wolf the share of the lime light and page was a success before zep so he was also up there. bonzo and jones stood back and let their musicianship do the talking.
i also truly admire robert plant. he is a unique guy. creepy looking? alice cooper is creepy looking. looks have nothing to do with it. do me a favour and look up robert'ssolo projects post zep. he is a superb musician. 29 palms, ship of fools, what you trying to do to my heart?

j

Old 05-29-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsieMan
In my opion one of the greatest drummers of all time, Fool In The Rain, When The Levee Breaks, Poor Tom all great grooves. Moby Dick...out of this world and Good Times Bad Times with all the triplets and his lightning fast foot. And D'yer Maker the very first Zeppelin song i could play. One thing i loved about John Bonham is that all his drums seem to fit in the song. Any other comments on John Bonham

p.s. My first post :)
yeah! I totally agree with you man!!! My all time favorite drummer, and the Led Zeppelin songs are really fun to play! :)
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 PM

Im still getting bog'd down trying to replicate his sound. The most annoying thing is that reading sources telling me he tuned both heads tight and then I apply this to my heads and they sound like hitting a glass. I love the sound from his Maple Kit from the DVD in the Royal Albert hall, so deep and powerful. Another example is the intro to "Thank you" absoloute gorgeous sound. I have a Tama Rockstar custom and although the drums are not as big as Bonzo's I want to get a similar sound instead of this glassy sound. I currently have EC2's on the batter and Pinstripes reso (thought I'd give it ago instead of the crappy tama stock reso). Im eventually gonna get Emporers or Aquarians Response 2 heads for batter and amassadors for reso. Rant finished.........so yea any feedback :p
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

To try and cop Bonham's sound, which many people try to do, you have to know a few things. One, his style of playing and the way he struck the drum was an important part of his sound. The sizes of his drums and what they were made of (maple on his most famous recordings) are also of extreme importance. A 26" bass drum with both heads intact with felt strips for muffling like he had sounds NOTHING like a 22" kick with a hole in the front head and blankets for muffling. His toms were tuned similar to his snare drum in that the bottom skin was tuned pretty high while the top skin was tuned to a medium tension. He used 14" 16" and 18" toms for the majority of his career, so he had some leeway on being able to tune them a bit higher without losing some balls. Finally, head selection is also key. On his kit, he played coated emperors on all batter heads with coated ambassadors on the bottom of his toms and the front of his bass drum. Ambassador snare side. The resonant head should be a single ply for maximum resonance. The rest of his sound was just the skill he had both in tuning his drums and playing. It was truly an awesome sound and one that many drummers try to copy but seldom do.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 PM

Just heard on the radio that today's Bonzo's Birthday.

Happy birthday John Bohnam wherever you are!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM
DrummerMom

John Bonham would be 58 today.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:27 AM

Default For all you Bonham fans...

We all know of Bonham's amazing power and feel. Ah, gives me chills thinking what a drummer he was. But at first bonham was known as the Loud Studio Drummer...

. In 1964, Bonham joined his first band, Terry Webb and the Spiders, meeting his future wife Pat Phillips at a dance in Kidderminster. He also played in other Birmingham bands such as The Blue Star Trio and The Senators, who released a moderately successful single "She's a Mod". Bonham enjoyed the experience and decided to take up drumming full-time. Two years later, he joined "A Way of Life" however the band soon became inactive. In desperation for a regular income, he joined a blues group called Crawling King Snakes whose lead singer was a young Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin's lead singer). During this period, Bonham developed a reputation of being the loudest drummer in England, often breaking drumheads and being asked by clubs to stop playing. Asked to leave one Birmingham studio because he was too loud for the owner, he was told that there was no future for a drummer as loud as him. Ten years later, the owner received a note reading "Thanks for the career advice..."; and accompanied by a Led Zeppelin gold record. By 1967, A Way of Life asked Bonham to return to their group, during this period Plant kept in constant contact with Bonham and when he decided to form Band Of Joy, Bonham was first choice as drummer. The band recorded a number of demos but no album. In 1968 American singer Tim Rose toured Britain and invited Band of Joy to open his concerts. When Rose returned for another tour months later, Bonham was formally invited by the singer to drum for his band which gave him a regular income.

I just thought I had to share this for all of those drummer out there that get bashed for theyr stile of playing. Bonham could've payed attention to them and changed his stile, but that wasn't him. He just had to wait for the right time. Just remember to have the feel and groove, but most importantly the music in you... Ah, bonham what an amazing example and drummer for us all.

But now for the goodies! :)
(Later on I'll see if I can put up some other ones. Oh, and some of these might not have been used in the actual record.)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 All Of My Love - Outtake.mp3 (2.42 MB, 528 views)
File Type: mp3 All Of My Love - Outtake 2.mp3 (679.6 KB, 579 views)
File Type: mp3 Another GREAT Bonham Groove!.mp3 (2.10 MB, 561 views)
File Type: mp3 The Softer Side Of John.mp3 (822.1 KB, 645 views)
File Type: mp3 Bonham Playing Around - Outtake.mp3 (1.19 MB, 616 views)
Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 AM

Default Re: For all you Bonham fans...

Nice that you did this on what would have been his 58th Birthday. Thanks for the drum tracks too, very interesting.

Murat Diril Cymbals - www.OffbeatMusicStore.com
Old 06-01-2006, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

I baked him a cake, I'll post a pic if I can...eventually.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Bonzo..The reason I started playing drums seriously in the first place..I started playing on cardboard boxes in my parents bedroom..pie pans nailed to broom handles for cymbals..we were poor..that was in 1965..in 1969 after playing snare drum in school for 2 years I herad Led Zep I..WOW..I wasnt able to afford my own kit so I played on a few friends until 1976 when I was in the Navy and bought a Ludwig Blue Vistalite 8 piece kit..still have it today..I immediately started learning Zep songs and realized right away that I had an offbeat rhythm..Bonhams style of playing came quite easy for cause of that but man he was fast and I remember when I was trying to learn Moby Dick the live version I kept smacking my left wrist really hard with the right stick..I developed a knot the size of a golf ball from hitting so hard and so many times but I eventually got the whole solo down and loved every second of learning it including the pain.. AS for his sound if you tune the resionant heads a couple complete turns higher that the batter head which is set at medium tension then the drums really come to life..Acrylic drums are a little touchy to tune but are by far the best sounding drums I have ever played.. Years ago I took all the bottom heads off all my toms and things really opened up.. I loved John Bonham and I miss him greatly.. Like I said he has been my inspiration for 40 years of drumming..whenever I feel my head swelling a little and get a little cocky..I play Moby Dick Live and I humbly bow in retreat..Yeh I'm good..Real good..But Bonham if he was still alive would still kick my ass..then smile and say..try that!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:53 AM

Hey, a while back someone posted a question about Bonham's HH riding on Heartbreaker from Zeppelin II. At the time I think the general agreement was that the skip/ghost notes we're hearing were a studio effect.

I was wondering if maybe those could in fact be genuine ghost notes, possibly even in the snare (to give the different timbre we were hearing). I'm thinking about something along the lines of some super basic Clyde Stubblefield who at the same time this Zeppelin recording was made was pulling off some very cool ghosting.

Just wondering if anyone thinks you could play the general groove in the hands something like following and come up with a sound fairly close to the original:

HH:|x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-|
_S:|-g--xg---g--xg--|
___|1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |

Leaving the stick close to the head after the backbeat so it connects as a ghost is something I think I hear Clyde do alot and I hear it in some of Bonham's stuff too (like on "When the Levee Breaks" where he also uses ghost attacks in the bass). I've been working hard on "I Got the Feeling" where Clyde employs his ghosting technique extensively, so maybe I'm just extending it to this "Heartbreaker" groove. However, I would imagine that Bonham would have listened to Clyde quite a bit too and employed some of the things the other guys of the time were doing around him.

Just as an aside: If you listen to Dread Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker (At the End of Lonely Street)" you'll hear the same ride pattern as above with the ghost notes:

HH:|xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-|
___|1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |

The other thing I was thinking was that is doesn't seem characteristic of Bonham to use a studio effect to give his drumming the sound of additional technique or a sound he can't come up with on his own. His stuff isn't layered upon layers like Page's stuff was and I think if he had the opportunity to add studio effects to his playing, he generally declined. I don't know for sure, though.

Anyway, this is probably a little geeky for some people, but I get into the little embellishments that people do. I think it's like a subtle spice people use to make their cooking special or different and also gives me more options to consider in my own playing.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 AM

Any one have tips on his triplet fills in stairway to heaven?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21
To try and cop Bonham's sound, which many people try to do, you have to know a few things. One, his style of playing and the way he struck the drum was an important part of his sound. The sizes of his drums and what they were made of (maple on his most famous recordings) are also of extreme importance. A 26" bass drum with both heads intact with felt strips for muffling like he had sounds NOTHING like a 22" kick with a hole in the front head and blankets for muffling. His toms were tuned similar to his snare drum in that the bottom skin was tuned pretty high while the top skin was tuned to a medium tension. He used 14" 16" and 18" toms for the majority of his career, so he had some leeway on being able to tune them a bit higher without losing some balls. Finally, head selection is also key. On his kit, he played coated emperors on all batter heads with coated ambassadors on the bottom of his toms and the front of his bass drum. Ambassador snare side. The resonant head should be a single ply for maximum resonance. The rest of his sound was just the skill he had both in tuning his drums and playing. It was truly an awesome sound and one that many drummers try to copy but seldom do.
you basically repeated every single thing in this video

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johnbonhamtech1.html
Old 06-15-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonham990
Any one have tips on his triplet fills in stairway to heaven?
I've been working on my trips between hand and feet (where the first is in the left or right and the last two are in the bass drum), and I haven't found any great secret yet. I'm also not very consistent with pulling them out until they get going. I need to keep working on them and do as part of my daily warmup.

I did find that playing the bass with my the ball of foot (as opposed to flat footed) works best and the attack being made using the foot moving like a pendulum from the ankle as well as a little leg movement up and down. It also seems like using the rebound from the drum head helps, so keeping the foot and leg firm but relaxed (like we do our hands when playing the snare) makes a difference. Also making sure that the beater comes up while the hand is playing the first of the triplet articulations helps tremendously and is ready for it's attack. The beater's readiness can be assisted by using the rebound as much as possible when a string of bass notes are being played. When I started this effort of improving my bass, I noticed that I was leaving the beater on the head of the drum and not raising it in time to make its first attack (oddly, this was never a problem when I was just playing singles between the bass and hands - it only krept up when I went to a single in the right or left and a double in the bass drum).

This is one technique I really want. For me, it's hard to play any of Bonham's ideas true to form without the bass drum integrated and coordinated into my playing and working as well as another hand. I think that my hands (like everyone's) are more naturally coordinated together and to get them to work in sync with either of my feet is simply going to take some work. Integrating the HH as another voice and having it as smooth and readily available as any hand would be is another project I have in my mind to be working on soon.

Anyone else have some ideas on this topic?

Last edited by CooManChu; 06-15-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Achilles Last stand w/ timpini solo

This is an awsome live video of Led Zeppelin playing "Achilles Last Stand." This is IMO one of the greatest performances i have seen of them. At the end Bonham does a cool timpini Solo.

Who knew he even used a timpini :D

Edit- i left out the link, here it is http://youtube.com/watch?v=DbQz14Jr7...20last%20stand

Last edited by Class A Drummer; 06-22-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Achilles Last stand w/ timpini solo

Most of us knew. Unfortunately there also seems to be an imaginary link.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Achilles Last stand w/ timpini solo

I'm giving myself a headache imagining a link...