DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Bonham tuning

Old studio joke,"can you make my drums sound like John Bonhams? Sure, I'll call him and see if he can come down!"Translation-it's the drummer, not the drums.:o)
Old 07-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay
Thanks for responding to my question. When I say the 16" sounds horrible it just has to much sustain, the 14" and 18" have very short sustain. They sound very big and full, but the sustain fades very nicely. Sometimes I have to put my hand on the 16" top head to get it to stop ringing. I'm using Remo Coated Emperors on the top, Remo Coated Ambassadors on the bottom. In the Ocheltree video he says that the "bottom head on the 14" sounds like a snare getting tuned and hence the other drums go down from there." I have tried that and I think the 16" bottom head is too tight and I think that is why it has too much sustain. But I loosen it up and then it just sounds completely different then the other two toms. It sounds very flat and dead, it just doesn't fit with the very round sound I am getting out of the other two toms.
The only other thing I can think of is to try to find a pitch and feel on the top head of the 16" tom that you are happy with, then tune the bottom head up 3 to 4 notes higher than that to see if that works, rather than get too scientific with the pitch relationships and all that. You should be able to shorten the sustain with the bottom head tighter, it just may be a bit more sensitive than the other two, or possibly a bad batter head.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Once you do find the problem and get the drum happening, please let us know. I would be very interested to find out what the solution ends up being. I know the dilemna you have in that you want to have all of the toms exhibit the same characteristics (punchy, round, equal sustain, etc.). If you go messing with muffling or a different tuning on the 16" tom, it will stick out like a sore thumb and won't sound like it's part of the kit. If it was me, I would start over by cranking up the top head and then slowly de-tune it until I found a pitch and feel that fit in with the top heads of the other drums you tuned. Then I would tune the bottom head up 3 to 4 notes higher, like I said in the prior post, to see if that did the trick. If that still doesn't reduce the sustain, then I would probably try replacing the batter head and try again. How much tighter do you have the bottom heads on the other two toms? The same amount? You probably have already done this, but if there is say 4 notes seperating the top and bottom heads on the other two toms, that should give you an idea that the 16" tom heads should be seperated by 4 notes as well. Do you know what I mean? I'm all out of suggestions and possible solutions, good luck and please let us know how you make out.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21
The only other thing I can think of is to try to find a pitch and feel on the top head of the 16" tom that you are happy with, then tune the bottom head up 3 to 4 notes higher than that to see if that works, rather than get too scientific with the pitch relationships and all that. You should be able to shorten the sustain with the bottom head tighter, it just may be a bit more sensitive than the other two, or possibly a bad batter head.
How can he really know how much is 3 or 4 notes higher . i never understood notes in drums .
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

As you tune a drum head, the lug points on the head will produce a certain pitch/note. To get the head in tune with itself, all the lug points should be tuned to the same pitch/note. Once you know what the pitch/note is, you can tune in intervals and know how to tune the bottom head three to four notes higher. It makes all the difference in really fine tuning your sound to eliminate unwanted overtones and sympathetic vibration.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Re: For all you Bonham fans...

I love the triplet patterns John used to play with his foot
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 AM
mediocrity

Ah, I love Bonzo. His Moby Dick solo was what made me want to start drumming.

Thanks for the tracks.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Those outtakes are great. What a sound...amazing...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Way to go!! Very nice story and clips, and my favorite studio joke"Can you make my drums sound like John Bonhams? Sure I'll call and see if he can come down!"-It's the drummer, not the drums!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

that was awesome thanks so much, i loved Bonham's work so much, one of my all time fav drummers
Old 07-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

How can anyone not love Bonham? I imagine most of us were amazed by the simple power of "When the Levee Breaks" or the complexity of "Good Times Bad Times" before we even thought about picking up the sticks ourselves.

The two drummers who have been the best guidance for me are Bonham and Stewart Copeland. Different kinds of drummers, both excellent for different reasons.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 PM

Default Re: John Bonham

John Bonham is awesome. He is my favorite drummer. The grooves he came up with just fit the song perfectly. He truely is the greatest rock drummer ever.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 AM

joooooohn booooooonahm.

there was always something about his drumming. everyone knows he wasnt as good as peart or bozzio, but he had so much power and feel. i enjoy the drumming from kashmir more than the drumming of peart in YYZ . when i wtch the zeppelin concert dvds im just overwhemled. its a certain feeling i get everytime he starts playing. Every single note he played will be the only notes you should play if you play a zeppelin song. The outro of " the rain song" is a great example of his power. His drumsound is something that will never ever be reproduced. Even if you get a oringal JB drumkit he played, you still cant. HES JOHN BONHAM! im sure he can get a 18' bass drum and a piccolo snare and make that kick sound like a 24' and that snare sound like a 14inch snare. The only drummer ive seen come close to bohnam is danny carey. his drumsound is phenomonal and the way he plays has just as much power and bonhams. like that triplet beat he was doing in the middle of aneima. i know this isnt a danny carey forum but if a drummer is powerful, then you can feel it

john bonahm is a legend and he has my ulimate respect

long live bonzo!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 PM

Default John Bonham talks to himself...

i was watching the song remains the same movie the other day and i noticed during one of the songs bonzo was talking to himself?? has anyone else noticed this?? also you can hear it on the in through the out door outtakes..
Old 07-20-2006, 01:53 AM

Default Re: John Bonham talks to himself...

I find I do that too, I sing the drum parts/guitar parts. It helps me get into the song more.

Word.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15840
Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Gold Member

watch on the zep dvd and watch black dog...ull see bonham doin it alot
Old 07-20-2006, 06:55 AM
nhzoso

Yeah I know the feeling, my wife does the same thing.

She says she talks to angels, says they all know her name.. Wacky!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM

come on now that's just cheezy! black crows are pretty groovin tho
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 AM

He makes sounds in the same way you can count...and also i think there is the fact he was once quoted as saying he like to shout like a bear when playing because it gave it a 'boost'...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 AM

Default john bonham - stairway to heaven

what is he doing at about 6:45 - 6:50 i cant quite figure it out

edit: please tab out
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: john bonham - stairway to heaven

You shouldnt need a tab ... he's playing along with the guitar ... the rhythm is matched with his bass drum ... and a snare hit is played right before each hit. And then add some pretty ghost notes around!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: JOHN BONHAM

i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used? ,i know the 2002 and the giant beat, and the big 24" ride and the 15" soundedge, but i have been never sure about the crases, and if he ever used a china
Old 07-22-2006, 09:22 AM

ah.. bonzo what cant u say about him, great drummer and really felt it as the audience did too. very big inspiration for me as well

DW. ZILDJIAN. TAMA. VATER. PEACE
Old 07-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewaz
i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used?
For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums. For instance, the first crash at :00 of Kashmir is the 18". And because of him I at one point had both those crashes plus the 14" Sound Edges and the 20" Ride (I was a little bit obsessed hehe). I still have the 18" and the hi-hats, and I'll never willingly let them go. I had a dream about the 18" cracking where I cried and then got really really pissed off and started wrecking other non-drum related stuff..!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer
For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums. For instance, the first crash at :00 of Kashmir is the 18". And because of him I at one point had both those crashes plus the 14" Sound Edges and the 20" Ride (I was a little bit obsessed hehe). I still have the 18" and the hi-hats, and I'll never willingly let them go. I had a dream about the 18" cracking where I cried and then got really really pissed off and started wrecking other non-drum related stuff..!
:O. so he never used a chinażż?? have you notice an 18 Avedis medium crash weights less than a 18" 2002 crash wich's suppoused to be a medium weight,
Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Pioneer Member

This is my first post in this thread havent read any others

I really like this guy (in a drummer way not a gay way) and think hes a great drummer
in a great band well was in a great band
Old 07-23-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewaz
i know this an old question but wich cymbals exactly did Bonham used? ,i know the 2002 and the giant beat, and the big 24" ride and the 15" soundedge, but i have been never sure about the crases, and if he ever used a china
This is where lots of conflicting information comes in. The Paiste website says he used a 16" medium,18" medium, 18" ride, 24" ride and of course the 15" sound edges, and 38" symphonic gong. Jeff Ocheltree's video claimed it was an 18" and 20" medium crash, with the 24" ride and 15" hh and on occasion, would use an additional 18" medium crash on the right behind the 20". Then there is the Paiste list floating around on the web that is supposed to be the actual agreement between JB and Paiste. You can see that here: http://www.netsnapshot.com/pcw/build...UNT=9334&KEY=1
Then the book, says he used a 16" or 18" on the left and an 18" medium ride for crashing on his right. The book also said sometimes he used a 20" or a 22" crash/ride on the right. Its safe to say he had a lot of different sizes that he mixed and matched when he felt like it. The only size I didn't see on the Paiste list was the 22". But he was John Bonham, and could've been given one or picked one up anywhere. No china is ever mentioned, but neither are the exrta instruments used during studio work. I have the all of the studio albums on cd, and I haven't picked up on a china being used in there, but I can't say he NEVER used one. Personally, it wouldn't be "his" sound, he had that sound that he maintained throughout his career. To me, a china just doesn't fit in there.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer
For the majority of his career, his two main crashes were the 16" and 18" 2002 Mediums.

no i believe his main crashes were 18" and 20"
Old 07-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

i laughed when i saw this little page

http://www.hvrsd.k12.nj.us/timberlan...onhan_gear.htm
Old 07-25-2006, 05:38 AM

omfg!!!! that's horrible
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 AM

Hahahaahhahaha rofl, I never knew smoke on the water was played by the great Led Zeppelin. Does anyone know how he died in 1981 because I'm sure I dont. Wow that was worse than the thread about the review on the person who thought Zeppelin was terrible.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

but this just takes the cake on the dumbest statement ever about bonham (besides "bonham is god")

"He played with Zildjian Hot Rod sticks."

Last edited by pdp 9091; 07-29-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

On the Zep dvd when they are playin Nobody's Fault But Mine at Knebworth, his drumming is so solid and tight. I love his playing on this song live. Check right where Plant comes in with the harmonica around 6:40 in the knebworth section. His drumming is so tight...i love it
Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
but this just takes the cake on the dumbest statement ever about bonham (besides "bonham is god")

"He played with Zildjian Hot Rod sticks."
rofl!!!!!!!!!! that's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooo funny
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Hahahaha, he also mentions how Led Zeppelin broke up in 1979 and how Bonzo died in 1980 due to unknown reasons...
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 AM
Gold Member

i know this site has been posted before but take a look through all of these zeppelin rehersals/outtakes/studio jams/alternate takes from all their albums. This stuff is raw studio material of the great plant, pagey, jonsey, and bonzo themselves. So interesting

http://sessions.led-zeppelin.us/

EDIT** listen to the studio jam in the physical graffiti section. Its so awesome to listen to all the band members inovating.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

ever hear bonzo sing? I heard a recording of a live performance where he sings along with plant on battle of evermore
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainsteve
1. Zep's over-rated.
2. Bonzo is MORE talented than page or plant put together.
3. Most of Zep's songs were plagarized... google it if you don't believe me or just listen to the
small faces "You need lovin'" for one blatent example and you will see who plant tries to
sound like, but sounds like a ridiculous parady of.
4. Plant was real creepy looking, still is. He gives me the willies.

i disagree with this entire post
Old 08-01-2006, 10:32 AM

I`ve scanned Bonzo`s page from an old Paiste book, Profiles of International Drummers and Percussionists. This book came out in the early to mid 70`s.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ann/bonham.jpg
Hope the link works!
Attached Images

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-01-2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Edited to add image
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
no i believe his main crashes were 18" and 20"
No I still believe it was the 16 and 18 inchers, and the above image backs me up.

I've spent hours upon hours watching The Song Remains The Same and I'm almost positive that what he was using for that show/tour are the 16/18s, and going by what they sound like there and on record, I'm inclined to think he used them most of the time. Of course he probably had every 2002 Paiste made back then, but..