DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #441  
Old 04-01-2006, 03:26 PM
dothecrunge's Avatar
dothecrunge dothecrunge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 131
Default Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumslaveDave
Being lucky to see Zep play not once but 3 times, I'd have to say ANY LIVE Moby Dick would make your head hurt for a week or 2 and not from the volume level but tryin to figure out what he was doing..

NEVER MIND THE POST BELOW HE NEVER SAW ZEP LIVE

Did you know Zep was an improv/jam band? Check out more than just the studio cuts and Song Remains the Same and you'll see that. Find some bootleg stuff or some LIVE BBC stuff you'll get the drift.
Which shows?

20 characters
__________________
My style is impetuous. My defense impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Phrase's Avatar
Phrase Phrase is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bo'ness, Scotland
Posts: 26
Default Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

Good Times Bad Times - those broken triplets are a nightmare to get right (unless you cheat and use a double pedal!)

Check out my Led Zep tribute band's clips here
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:21 AM
BellsOfRhymney's Avatar
BellsOfRhymney BellsOfRhymney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Default Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

Quote:
Nobody's fault but mine
Gawd I forgot that ...definitely add that one.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 04-02-2006, 06:08 AM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

ooo man....so many great grooves....i kind of like his blues stuff the best...."since ive been loving you" is a simple song to play but it just sticks out to me for some reason....i just love that "bluesey" feel that goes along with that song....and of course on the dvd the Denmark Radio part of the dvd on the first dvd in the clips......communication breakdown.....dazed and confused....babe im gonna leave you.....and how many more times.....just those 4 songs its my favorite on the dvd....sooooo crazy with those fills on dazed and confused.....and even on how many more times....(on how many more times if u notice towards the end where the drums and the guitar comes back in bonham does his fills and starts on the ride and jimmy and john paul just look at each other confused for a second and then they come in and go back into the song.)......and the fill at the end of achilles last stand on the dvd is crazy

but in order my favorite bonham grooves

1. when the levee breaks
2. Since ive been loving you
3. dazed and confused
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 04-03-2006, 06:44 AM
pcmckay's Avatar
pcmckay pcmckay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 486
Default Re: John Bonham

The tunes I enjoy playing to are:
1. OUT ON THE TILES

2. MISTY MOUNTAIN HOP

3. FOOL IN THE RAIN

4. ACHILLES LAST STAND

5. THE CRUNGE
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 04-03-2006, 07:22 AM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

Man, you Bohnam-ites need to chill. John Bohnam is my favorite rock drummer and in my top ten drummers of all time. That being said, his chops are not insurmountable. Most of his stuff is pretty basic conceptually. He pulls his right foot stuff off cleanly and extremely effectively, and all in a great pocket- I love his drumming. For pure chops, many, many drummers have bested Bonzo. At that time, for example, Tony Williams could probably double his right foot (let's not even talk about the left foot) dexterity. Does that make John Bohnam worse? No way! He's a legendary drummer! His work stands alone despite that people have done better.
What I love about him is his groove- he's got one of the best pockets I can think about.
It has been stated earlier in this thread that John Bohnam cannot be analyzed because there are way too many secrets in his drumming. Not so. I've heard some drummers do an awesome John Bohnam impression. I don't think there is any drummer that is stylistically untouchable, except Elvin Jones. I've heard two drummers do a good Elvin impression. Roy Haynes and Ian Froman (who's a teacher out at berklee- incredible player and teacher) could both cop that vibe well- but not exactly like Elvin.
Bonzo has been copped many times. He's such an influence, I can't even begin to name some of the drummers. I'll start. Jeff Porcaro, Carlos Vega, Abe Laboriel Jr. , Josh Freese, Simon Phillips and MANY others could do a Bonzo impression very closely. I've never heard them do an intentional Bonzo impression, but I'm positive they could if they wanted. Nearly EVERY good rock drummer in the world today has gone through a John Bohnam worship stage. Every good drummer been checked out and analyzed. Actually, John Bohnam's been analyzed more than any drummer except possibly Steve Gadd or Tony Williams. If you transcribe and listen to enough of a player, you can sound very close to him after a while. If you are dedicated, have the help of a teacher if you need it and if you go through and transcribe the player's body of work in a logical order, and study his influences, you WILL end up sounding like him.
You want to sound like Vinnie? Go through the Gary Chaffee books, get great drum-corps hands, transcribe a ton of Tony Williams and Alphonze Mouzon, then get the new Randy Waldman book that'll give you Vinnie exercises and transcriptions. Then go and transcribe all the Zappa, Sting and Karizma stuff. Then, go develop ADD. Then you'll probably sound a lot like Vinnie and people will love you. Five years and thousands of hours of practice later.I can go through a few drummers like this- Tony Williams, Dennis Chambers, Weckl, and so on- I can even go through horn players like this. Want to know how Chris Potter got as good as he did? Go transcribe John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt, Wayne Shorter and Michael Brecker. And so on.
You want to be John Bonham? Get a nasty right foot, learn your rudiments, learn to play blues and old school rock extremely well, then transcribe all the beats and fills you like from his performances.
None of these guys, except for Buddy Rich or Elvin Jones is untouchable. Buddy because he's a chops virtuoso and Elvin for his concept of time. You can analyze Elvin's solos easily enough- it's his time playing that gets me. Likewise, given very hard study for an endured period of time, you can learn to play exactly like John Bohnam.
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 04-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is online now
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,069
Default Re: John Bonham

theduke 86:

Y E S


Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Bonham to the moon's Avatar
Bonham to the moon Bonham to the moon is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 365
Default Re: John Bonham

Of course TheDuke, this all your opinion. With every drummer that has ever been, theres going to be a guy that comes out that is faster, and can imitate them. But what it comes down to is originality. Every solo that has ever been played can be stripped down and imitated, but its the person who created it that needs the credit. A guy whos been playing for a couple of months might be able to play the groove from When the Levee breaks, but it was Bonham who heard the rest of the song and layed it down originally. i know that Bonham didnt have the greatest chops of all time, there may be a few cats that can play Pat's Delight, but its Bonham that created the masterpiece. You say that Elvin Jones cannot be imitated stylistically, how so? i've heard many people lay down a groove that imitates Elvin. You also say that those who have gotten close to Elvin's playing still cant get it exactly. I've yet to hear anyone get Bonhams groove exactly, unless they added effects in the studio. And if anyone does get it exactly, as with any other drummer, it is because they have studied and transcribed their playing, not because they have come up with it themselves. If you studied any drummer for long enough and transcribed their songs note for note, than you can imitate them exactly, even Rich, Jones.
__________________
"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit."

--The great Bonzo himself
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: John Bonham

o come on jimmy....u packed the wrong set

Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 AM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
Of course TheDuke, this all your opinion. With every drummer that has ever been, theres going to be a guy that comes out that is faster, and can imitate them. But what it comes down to is originality. Every solo that has ever been played can be stripped down and imitated, but its the person who created it that needs the credit. A guy whos been playing for a couple of months might be able to play the groove from When the Levee breaks, but it was Bonham who heard the rest of the song and layed it down originally. i know that Bonham didnt have the greatest chops of all time, there may be a few cats that can play Pat's Delight, but its Bonham that created the masterpiece. You say that Elvin Jones cannot be imitated stylistically, how so? i've heard many people lay down a groove that imitates Elvin. You also say that those who have gotten close to Elvin's playing still cant get it exactly. I've yet to hear anyone get Bonhams groove exactly, unless they added effects in the studio. And if anyone does get it exactly, as with any other drummer, it is because they have studied and transcribed their playing, not because they have come up with it themselves. If you studied any drummer for long enough and transcribed their songs note for note, than you can imitate them exactly, even Rich, Jones.
Uh, well, it's actually not a subjective matter of opinion. I wasn't really calling into question John Bohnam's originality, at all. Nor his greatness- just because someone can be imitated doesn't mean someone isn't great- in fact I think if someone is imitated it can mean right away they are great. I was actually refuting your illogical statement that there are too many secrets behind Bonzo's drumming to figure his stuff out. This is very untrue. If you play along to records enough, or loops of Bonzo grooves, and figure out his chops, you will figure out Bonzo. You can't really, in respect, disagree with me, because this is the way it has always been done. Abe Laboriel, I'm sure, can do an amazing John Bohnam impression. I can clearly see and hear it in his playing. You're just taking my remarks as being disparaging, because, you know, anything less than TOTAL worship of John Bohnam is not right.

In respect to Elvin Jones, Elvin Jones is untouchable because of the way he could yank things in and out of time and come back to the beat. He could reef on beats so hard and come right back in on time. I've never heard anyone with the exception of Roy Haynes who is able to play so elastically. Roy can't even do it as well as Elvin. His concept of time is alien- no one has any idea how he thinks about groove or time therefore no one can figure out how he plays the way he does. There are some Elvin things that are very doable- but not most of the more extreme stuff. I haven't heard anyone do the stuff that he does. With Bohnam, or any other great groove drummer, I can understand what they're playing... example "Okay, Bohnam is counting quarter notes and emphasizing 2 and 4 on Rock and Roll". Or, "Okay Bohnam is emphasizing offbeats on Immigrant Song" to name a couple. If you can get the beat and time and feel it like the drummer is, you can play it exactly like him. No one knows what Elvin was thinking. When he played swing he grunted offbeats- you can hear him on some albums doing that loudly. But for the harder stuff, drum scholars are without a clue.
As for Buddy, he had an X factor- a once in a generation virtuositic abillity that hasn't been equaled. He is the Mozart, Paganini, Parker or Gould of our instrument- he will not be equaled.
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda

Last edited by theduke86; 04-05-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 AM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: John Bonham

I'm with our man TheDuke. It is entirely possible to imitate Bonham. Here's how you do it:

1) Transcribe enough that you understand his phrasing and approach to orchestration of grooves and fills.
2) Sit down with a sequencer and, by means of looping and programming sequenced drums over the top, work out exactly where Bonham is placing his notes relative to the beat.
3) Work on your tuning and technique. Tune open, hit the drums nice and hard (but without hitting "through the drum") in the centre of the head and use the right drum sizes. Spend time just hitting drums trying to work on your touch, ignoring any issues of what parts you're going to play.

If you understand those three attributes of Bonham's playing - his touch/tone, his timing and his part selection - then you're going to be able to imitate it given enough practice, recording and analysis of your own playing.

Elvin is considerably more tricky because, as TheDuke86 said, his ability to bend time is as big a part of his feel as his tone or part selection. It's not hard to sit down and work out what Elvin is playing, or how his drums sound. It's virtually impossible to work out a logical "what-would-Elvin-do" formula for his timing, which is what makes him so hard to imitate.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:49 AM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
You want to sound like Vinnie? Go through the Gary Chaffee books, get great drum-corps hands, transcribe a ton of Tony Williams and Alphonze Mouzon, then get the new Randy Waldman book that'll give you Vinnie exercises and transcriptions. Then go and transcribe all the Zappa, Sting and Karizma stuff. Then, go develop ADD. Then you'll probably sound a lot like Vinnie and people will love you. Five years and thousands of hours of practice later.I can go through a few drummers like this- Tony Williams, Dennis Chambers, Weckl, and so on- I can even go through horn players like this.
This is a great piece of writing, Duke.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 AM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

Thanks Finn and jones....
My one big beef with people is when they are so totally in love with a person they say no one could ever play like him again. Not so. It's easy to see where people come from! Everyone has their influences. Even musical prodigies like Charlie Parker, John Coltrane... One can see clearly that John Coltrane copped Dexter Gordon, Charlie Parker played like Lester Young, a little bit. Even though both were absolute virtuosos and will NEVER be outdone, you can still imitate. There are a few one can't. But I see where these guys are coming from.
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 AM
fixmejesus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
I'm with our man TheDuke. It is entirely possible to imitate Bonham. Here's how you do it:

1) Transcribe enough that you understand his phrasing and approach to orchestration of grooves and fills.
2) Sit down with a sequencer and, by means of looping and programming sequenced drums over the top, work out exactly where Bonham is placing his notes relative to the beat.
3) Work on your tuning and technique. Tune open, hit the drums nice and hard (but without hitting "through the drum") in the centre of the head and use the right drum sizes. Spend time just hitting drums trying to work on your touch, ignoring any issues of what parts you're going to play.

If you understand those three attributes of Bonham's playing - his touch/tone, his timing and his part selection - then you're going to be able to imitate it given enough practice, recording and analysis of your own playing.

Elvin is considerably more tricky because, as TheDuke86 said, his ability to bend time is as big a part of his feel as his tone or part selection. It's not hard to sit down and work out what Elvin is playing, or how his drums sound. It's virtually impossible to work out a logical "what-would-Elvin-do" formula for his timing, which is what makes him so hard to imitate.
OK, then go ahead and try it and post it here under "your playing". You guys are just full of it. Prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 AM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johnbonhamtech.html
That's a guy doing Bonzo vibe very well who isn't even that well known. Plus he looks quite young! Check out Abe Laboriel- ANYTHING for a huge Bohnam influence.
I love how I throw the old reason bug into the debate, give reasons why it's easier to reproduce Bohnam than Elvin or Buddy and then you tell me "No, Bohnam R00LZ0R5 so no one can reproduce it. That video isn't a pure reproduction as I'm sure some would be capable of. One thing's for sure. It's a lot closer to Bohnam than anyone's come to Elvin. Except maybe Froman.
Once again, I'm in NO WAY disparaging John Bohnam- I love his drumming. I think his stuff is awesome. I think it's much, much easier to cop the feel than Elvin or Buddy. As is Tony Williams. Or Max Roach. I know where those guys are coming from. I don't know how Elvin came about. Or Buddy. No one knows! This doesn't necessarily make them better- that argument is stupid and I don't want to have it. It makes them much harder to authentically imitate than Bonzo. And imitating Bonzo takes years of study. Concentrated, hard study. But it can be done with the proper methodology and proof. There are a lot of guys who can sound like Bonham clones. Same thing goes for drummers like Gadd, Tony, Weckl, Max. Any of the drummers who have been academized and analyzed can be imitated. There are parts of Elvin Jones' drumming that we will most likely never understand. If anyone finds out the secret to his time playing, please let me know so I can pay you one million dollars for a lesson. Thank you.
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 04-04-2006, 05:23 AM
aahznightsky's Avatar
aahznightsky aahznightsky is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johnbonhamtech.html
That's a guy doing Bonzo vibe very well who isn't even that well known.

Dude, maybe you shoulda converted that solo (or i could do the full version I have the dvd) to just the audio, placed it along real bonham solo recordings, and we coulda played Guess the Bonzo!
__________________
Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 04-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Bonzo91's Avatar
Bonzo91 Bonzo91 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 350
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
ya i probably have watched that dvd 4 million times...lol....but in my opinion i think he was at his greatest on the second dvd because he was more mature in his style of drumming- more controlled and even tamed (if that makes sense)....dont get me wrong bonzo was soooooo great on the first disc but i think as he got older and matured more from the 21 year old he was on the first disc to the 30 year old he was at Knebworth...he picked up more of controll with his fills/technique. Just take the fills in Kashmir for example....totaly amazing....but all in all....awesome dvd!



I kinda of like him when he was about 21 he was juest out there lol and he looked cooler as he began to grow older he started looking like a grizly lol. Though as years went by he began to have more control. And i still think his one of the greatest drummers of all time.
__________________
I said hey baby whats goin' on! My mamma been talkin' about boogin' all night long!
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:01 AM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
exactly, same goes for Elvin. If you can show me some drumming that i would mistake for Bonham, then i'll shut up.
No, I really don't think you would. It's like you guys have some secret handshake or something.

All anybody was sayin' anyway was that Bonham stuff could be analyzed and imitated. So can Mel Lewis. So can alot of Gadd. It doesn't mean it's not great. And naw, Its not an opinion that Bonham's music can be imitated. It's fact. Every time I read that, you turn it into your own put down while at the same time, you acuse the other guy of sayin' how he disrespects you. Its nothing but your own code for saying "you're just not cool enough to get it.' Give me a break.

I think this is more about how too many Bonham fanatics don't seem to see the existence of ANY other great drummer. I mean you get great explanations of another viewpoint that even then still praises your guy, and all you ever say is "oh yeah" or "prove it to me." Duke and Finn explained it to you with perfect logic. If you disagree prove it to them man. This is a discussion forum, not religious conversion.

You know, I used to think how funny it was watchin' these guys like elvin4ever talkin' about the godlike qualities of Buddy Rich. But you know what I see? All those Rich fanatics are all over this forum talkin' like experts on the matters of all drummers not just Buddy Rich.

Look Bonham is great for sure. I love his playing too. But come on.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Bonzo91's Avatar
Bonzo91 Bonzo91 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 350
Default Re: John Bonham

If you can't tell the difference between the real Bonzo and the Immitation than your no Bonham fan. How can you not, even though he can be immitated you can still tell, bonhams always got that certain tone and everytimr you hear him youd feel thunder rudshing through you, but when its an immitator you can tell they tend to play softer or have a much different style.
__________________
I said hey baby whats goin' on! My mamma been talkin' about boogin' all night long!
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:35 AM
BellsOfRhymney's Avatar
BellsOfRhymney BellsOfRhymney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Default Re: John Bonham

There is no arguing Bonham's greatness, total class and taste, every song, every lick, and it all holds up today like no other ...amazing how good he was.
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 AM
NUTHA JASON's Avatar
NUTHA JASON NUTHA JASON is offline
Senior Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: John Bonham

until i ran into drummerworld i thought i was the biggest bonzo fan around. having read all of the above posts i can put my two cents in here...

NO DRUMMER IS UNTOUCHABLE.

they said everest could not be climbed. then some one climbed it and now many people have climbed it. muscles, bones and brains...bonzo had them, elvin had them and i have them...we all do. it is ludicrous to suggest that ANY drummer cannot be emulated, or even far surpassed. if one person can do something, someone somewhere else, some other time will be able to do it and even perhaps do it fractionally better. Edmund hillary climbed the mountain, then others came along and did it faster, better and sometimes even with some sort of handicap.

all that remains then is to celebrate the pioneers and their creative spirits. bonzo rules for his own defined set of reasons. so too does elvin and buddy.

in my opinion i do not rank these three gentlemen against eachother. i love bonzo's work and respect the other two for theirs.

j
__________________

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
BellsOfRhymney's Avatar
BellsOfRhymney BellsOfRhymney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 200
Default Re: John Bonham

Right, they were all different and all inovative in their time. Krupa probably wouldn't have been as effective for Zeppelin, and Bonzo might not have been the entertainer that Krupa was.
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
mattsmith's Avatar
mattsmith mattsmith is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
until i ran into drummerworld i thought i was the biggest bonzo fan around. having read all of the above posts i can put my two cents in here...

NO DRUMMER IS UNTOUCHABLE.

they said everest could not be climbed. then some one climbed it and now many people have climbed it. muscles, bones and brains...bonzo had them, elvin had them and i have them...we all do. it is ludicrous to suggest that ANY drummer cannot be emulated, or even far surpassed. if one person can do something, someone somewhere else, some other time will be able to do it and even perhaps do it fractionally better. Edmund hillary climbed the mountain, then others came along and did it faster, better and sometimes even with some sort of handicap.

all that remains then is to celebrate the pioneers and their creative spirits. bonzo rules for his own defined set of reasons. so too does elvin and buddy.

in my opinion i do not rank these three gentlemen against eachother. i love bonzo's work and respect the other two for theirs.

j
This sums it up just right. And it came from one of the "Bonham is my favorite" supporters who has an open mind about the entire world of drumming. When I see someone try to set up guidelines tellin' me that if I don't do X, Y or Z then I'm no real Bonham fan, that's no more than taking the path of some radical cult, except in not as harmful a way. And I don't think it does the memory of Bonham justice because it causes people to argue about stuff that shouldn't have to be argued.
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 04-04-2006, 05:35 PM
wontgetfooledagain wontgetfooledagain is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 63
Default Re: John Bonham

Instrumentalists will always be able to get better. Once something is recorded and released then some other person can hear that and expand on it or simply be inspired by it and do something even greater. It's like my opinion on Hendrix. He was (and is) a great guitarist. However, once he recorded and released albums, anyone who had the talent could expand on what he did. Now we have Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, and a bunch of others who may not actually have similar styles, but were probably influenced by Hendrix even if it was indirectly by someone who was influenced by him.
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Bonzo Bonzo is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 169
Default Re: John Bonham

One other thing that doesn't ever seem to get taken into account on these threads: Bonham died at age 32. That's it. His whole career was defined by that age. You can't compare what Elvin Jones (76), Buddy Rich (69), or Tony Williams (51) did in relationship to Bonham, because they played and learned and were inspired by each other for decades longer. Bonham would be around 58 years old today, and I can't even imagine how much more his playing would have evolved in that time. That's why it's silly to make comparisons, unless all things are equal. And they usually aren't.
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
finnhiggins's Avatar
finnhiggins finnhiggins is offline
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,430
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo
One other thing that doesn't ever seem to get taken into account on these threads: Bonham died at age 32. That's it. His whole career was defined by that age. You can't compare what Elvin Jones (76), Buddy Rich (69), or Tony Williams (51) did in relationship to Bonham, because they played and learned and were inspired by each other for decades longer.
That would only be true if we were attempting to compare drummers and their career achievements. We're not. Tony Williams was raised because of the issue of foot speed. Tony was pulling off things with his right foot that make Good Times, Bad Times look like a stroll in the park back in the 1960s and early 1970s, while Tony was in his twenties.

As for the usual, predictable round of "You can't say that about Bonham" / "You guys are so up yourselves" or whatever... come on guys, play the ball, not the man. Bonham was a great drummer, he is one of my favourite rock drummers and indeed one of my favourite drummers of all time. I would not trivialise what he achieved in his (short) career. But he's not, objectively, technically better than a whole load of drummers who were his contemporaries. And his playing is not, objectively, something that is impossible to analyse.

If people stopped making stupid claims for Bonham that are well into the realm of hyperbole then I suspect this thread would cool down a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM
NUTHA JASON's Avatar
NUTHA JASON NUTHA JASON is offline
Senior Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: John Bonham

sometimes i get embarassed for the hyperbonzoites.
__________________

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Dannar Dannar is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City/Wichita/everywhere inbetween
Posts: 98
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
sometimes i get embarassed for the hyperbonzoites.
Amen to that.

Amen
Reply With Quote
  #469  
Old 04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: John Bonham

Ok, Bonham is probably my favorite drummer. But I'm not going to come into this discussion with a closed mind. Of course Bonham will always be the grandfather of rock drummers because he was a pioneer. He inspired so many people to become drummers and inspired current drummers in the 70's. These drummers then took his material, studied it, worked it in with their own and expanded their ability. Bonham doesnt have the best chops, i agree with that, and i also agree that he doesnt have the greatest foot speed (great but there are drummers that are faster). But what I'm saying is anyone that studies his work long enough and who has the right amount of skill can mimick or copy a groove that he did, but can they be great enough to CREATE their own lick that surpasses those of Bonhams? Its 10X easier to copy a drum groove rather than to create one yourself (as mentioned in the Buddy rich vs. Bonham thread). Bonhams style of playing had a huge variety in the lines of styles of music. (rock, jazz, blues). He incorporated those styles into his grooves and came up with his own style of playing. No other drummer sounds like Bonham (unless they are trying to copy him). He had his own unique style that hasn't been matched ever sinced (but many have copied). To look at and compare Bonham to Elvin is like comparing apples to oranges. Two completley different drummers and they should be appreactiated both for what they have done to the drumming world and theyre contributions. Elvin contributed greatley to jazz and Bonham contributed greatley to Rock. Its as simple as that. But if someone is going to come on and start saying "oh bonham is such a god...bla bla bla" then this isnt the place for you. These people have never heard someone intelligently critique Bonham before like finnhiggins and theduke have on this thread and to them in theyre mind its totaly wrong because theyve only seen Bonham as a 100% god. Try to be more open minded when it comes to appreaciating drummers and youll expand more in your drumming ability.
Reply With Quote
  #470  
Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Bonzo91's Avatar
Bonzo91 Bonzo91 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 350
Default Re: John Bonham

To me that Jim Roman guy is far from sounding like bonham. Theres such a big difference.
__________________
I said hey baby whats goin' on! My mamma been talkin' about boogin' all night long!
Reply With Quote
  #471  
Old 04-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Bonham to the moon's Avatar
Bonham to the moon Bonham to the moon is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 365
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
I'm saying is anyone that studies his work long enough and who has the right amount of skill can mimick or copy a groove that he did, but can they be great enough to CREATE their own lick that surpasses those of Bonhams?
this is the point i was trying to get at.
__________________
"Just watch me tonight, I'm gonna totally demolish this drumkit."

--The great Bonzo himself
Reply With Quote
  #472  
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 AM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

Nutha Jason- Thanks for summing it up so well and eloquently as par usual for you- You will all notice I didn't say it was impossible to be either Elvin or Buddy, just extremely difficult and very, very, very few people have figured it out. Not even ones who have studied said drummer intensely for two decades or more (Froman). I'm sure it can be done by someone though.
I am in no way comparing them to Bonzo in terms of greatness. I have said this numerous times. I don't want to have that argument because it's not fair to either three of them. Apples and oranges and mangos. However, I can compare individual difficulty of learning their styles. I think. I love all three of them. Elvin the most, Bonzo close to that, Buddy Rich a little further down the list. So, I think the hyper-bonzoites perhaps need to chill a little bit and think about this rationally and logically- you'll pretty much realise that I'm right once you do.

Edit: bonhamtothemoon- You are DEFINETLY right about that. John Bohnam had a signature sound and style that was unique, original, entertaining and a joy to listen to. It's why I , among MANY others (including yourselves) gravitate to him so much for rock drumming. I don't think I ever called into question his greatness. You shouldn't feel a need to defend him. Just because I said that Elvin and Buddy were harder to imitate doesn't mean that Bohnam isn't awesome too. For another example, Tony Williams, Dennis Chambers and Billy Cobham are easier to imitate than Elvin Jones or Buddy. Elvin for his time concept, Buddy for pure fire. You'll notice my favorite drummer in the whole wide world is Tony Williams. In other words, this is no strike against John Bohnam. In terms of style, look at the company that he's in, in terms of learning difficulty, right? Get what I'm saying?
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda

Last edited by DogBreath; 04-05-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #473  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 AM
NUTHA JASON's Avatar
NUTHA JASON NUTHA JASON is offline
Senior Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: london
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
You shouldn't feel a need to defend him.
precisely... if ever you do get this urge then here is my precription:

get off the computer, put on headphones, crank the volume and listen to your favourite led zep. when you are confronted with THAT drumming you will be reminded how undeniable it is and how little it needs to be defended.

j
__________________

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Reply With Quote
  #474  
Old 04-05-2006, 03:12 PM
theduke86's Avatar
theduke86 theduke86 is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 941
Default Re: John Bonham

Man NJ, every time I listen to Fool In The Rain, it does it for me. What a great groove. That ghost note concept developed out of a vacuum. Awesome drumming.
__________________
M. Andrew Dyrda
(theduke86)
http://www.putfile.com/andrewdyrda
Reply With Quote
  #475  
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
Man NJ, every time I listen to Fool In The Rain, it does it for me. What a great groove. That ghost note concept developed out of a vacuum. Awesome drumming.

for me i pop in the dvd and watch the Denmarks Radio clip....dazed and confused...how many more times...those 2 songs hes such a beast on the drums its crazy
Reply With Quote
  #476  
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
ewanlaing's Avatar
ewanlaing ewanlaing is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 227
Default Re: John Bonham

i feel that led zepplin as a band were perfect for each other.
i only just realised just now but imagine if keith moon and john bonham had been in each others band!
Reply With Quote
  #477  
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 PM
KLittle123's Avatar
KLittle123 KLittle123 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 620
Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduke86
Man NJ, every time I listen to Fool In The Rain, it does it for me. What a great groove. That ghost note concept developed out of a vacuum. Awesome drumming.
I agree, that drumming is friggin sweet in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #478  
Old 04-08-2006, 04:28 AM
Crust Crust is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Default Bonham Videos

Why can't I view the new John Bonham videos? I can hear the music, but the videos won't play. Any suggestions on what I might do, or is the site just broken?
Reply With Quote
  #479  
Old 04-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Fur drummer's Avatar
Fur drummer Fur drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 684
Default Re: Bonham Videos

No the site is not broken, you need Quick Time 7 for Windows XP to play the new videos.

Last edited by Fur drummer; 04-08-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #480  
Old 04-08-2006, 04:38 AM
pdp 9091's Avatar
pdp 9091 pdp 9091 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ct, USA
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: Bonham Videos

videos work fine for me...but i dont need the bonham page for the videos...i got that dvd ;) if you dont have it you should get the dvd....its pretty awesome....maybe because you cant see the videos on the page because you might need to download the latest version of Quicktime.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com