DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-08-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

fool in the rain.....
Old 03-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: John Bonham

Quote:
The Beatles were great, blah blah blah. The fact remains, the Beatles did not influence Led Zeppelin musically. Thier first two albums should prove that. Blues, anyone? I'd list thier infuences, but it would take a while, and it doesn't include John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

But then everyone's gonna say, but without Ringo!......................but nothing, Bonzo was not influenced by Ringo. And the same goes for every member of Led Zeppelin.
Its not that each member was influenced by the beatles directly, they were indirectly. Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo. The beatles paved the way for every other english band in America. Led Zeppelin made there name in America, thats where they were most popular. Without The Beatles, America might have rejected all the English bands that came in. Thats why there the most influencial band of all time. You need to open your mind up a little bit and see the bigger picture.

--The great Bonzo himself
Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Pioneer Member

The Rain song, although simple, he just read that song so well. It also shows how versitile he was, yea he could lay down a phat blues groove, but he could also lay down a delicate beat that compliments the song so well.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
Its not that each member was influenced by the beatles directly, they were indirectly. Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo. The beatles paved the way for every other english band in America. Led Zeppelin made there name in America, thats where they were most popular. Without The Beatles, America might have rejected all the English bands that came in. Thats why there the most influencial band of all time. You need to open your mind up a little bit and see the bigger picture.
Nicely put.

The more you know

'Cause knowledge is power!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo.
does anybody know whats ironic about moon being an influence to bonham?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i havent seen anyone come close to bonhams right foot, except maybe jo jo mayer, but even then, there not as powerful as bonhams.
You really should check out Zach Hill, especially live. I will go ahead and go out on a limb and say his kick work is in league with Bonham, especially in the sense of innovation, not to mention speed, power, and importantly,creativity and energy. I have had the pleasure of sitting no more than three feet away from him many times at his shows, and I am constantly blown away with all the aspects I mentioned above with which he plays.
Tama really needs to have him help design some hardware and especially modifications to the Iron Cobra, as he has destroyed many of the metal parts of his equipment just with his playing. Sticks and heads are a whole nother matter with him.

It should be noted that Zach is a huge fan of both John Bonham and Tim Alexander, and I'm sure he would be very honored to be mentioned alongside them in these discussions.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
does anybody know whats ironic about moon being an influence to bonham?
yes?? Bonham saw Moon live many times and was amazed at his power and speed.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
yes?? Bonham saw Moon live many times and was amazed at his power and speed.
not exactly but the ironic thing about moon being bonhams influence is:

the way led zeppelin got their name is from keith moon....when led zeppelin formed drummer of the who keith moon told them theyd go down faster than a led zeppelin....therefore giving led zeppelin their name. so basically the one that influenced bonham told him that his band would fail and go no where.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
not exactly but the ironic thing about moon being bonhams influence is:

the way led zeppelin got their name is from keith moon....when led zeppelin formed drummer of the who keith moon told them theyd go down faster than a led zeppelin....therefore giving led zeppelin their name. so basically the one that influenced bonham told him that his band would fail and go no where.

He told Jimmy that they would go over like a "led balloon". He told Jimmy this when Jimmy was considering starting a band with Keith Moon, John Entwistle, and Steve Winwood. He didn't direct it twoards Led Zeppelin, he said it about the band Jimmy wanted to start with Moon.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
He told Jimmy that they would go over like a "led balloon". He told Jimmy this when Jimmy was considering starting a band with Keith Moon, John Entwistle, and Steve Winwood. He didn't direct it twoards Led Zeppelin, he said it about the band Jimmy wanted to start with Moon.
exactly.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 AM

It saddens me a little that The Beatles are singularly the greatest thing to happen to rock music. Oh well...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontgetfooledagain
It saddens me a little that The Beatles are singularly the greatest thing to happen to rock music. Oh well...
Cheer up! No reason to be down about The Beatles being amazing, it doesn't make Zeppelin any less amazing.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:50 AM

if you like to here the same old crap over and over again
then you like john bonham, as far as i'm concernd he's
way over rated.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:55 AM

here are some drummers that would crush john bonham.

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

these 3 drummers here are all around drummers,
john bonham was not a all around drummer
Old 03-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_rockdrummer

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

Same crap over and over again, are you kidding me?!

How can you sit here and say out like those three drummers but don't like Bonham. I'm especialy amazed that you insult Bonham, then list Alex Van Halen as someone more well rounded as him! Not to insult Alex, or any of his fans, but A V H never really did it for me, I never really dug him, not to say he is bad or anything.

Keith Moon and Neil Peart I can see why someone may be a bigger fan of them, but to say that one is better than the other is a very ignorant statement. That's like saying chocolate is better than vanilla, it's all opinion. To say that chocolate is the same old crap and vanilla is much better is ridiculous!

Oh, and I don't like to "here" Bonham, I like to "hear" Bonham.

I'll let someone else take it from here...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 AM

Achille's Last Stand, or Out on the Tiles
Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Pioneer Member

i find that if you for the most part try to ignore the ignorant posts things are a lot easier, though i have a tough time not saying something sometimes.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

I respect your opinion even though I feel you are wrong. Trying to say one drummer is better then the other is like comparing apples and oranges. Everyone has their own style and expresses themselves differently, that is the beauty of music. Neil Peart's drumming wouldn't have fit with Zeppelin's music and Bonham wouldn't have fit with Rush. They each played what their particular music called for, and they both did it very well. Bonham was a pioneer in what is now considered Heavy Metal, he is the most influential rock drummer of all time. To just blow him off as a overated drummer is ridiculous. Bonham was very much an all around drummer he played on a lot of different albums from other artists. For example one of Paul McCartney's solo albums he played on a couple of tracks, wouldn't you say McCartney's music is a lot different then Zeppelin's? If he was not a flexible drummer he would have never been asked to play. And you also say he plays the same thing over and over, well I have listened to a lot of The Who and Moon played the same structure in most of their songs. You can hear the same fills in a lot of their music too. Alex Van Halen praises Bonham as a huge influence on him, in fact you can hear a lot of Bonham fills in some of their old stuff. And how many times have we heard massive tom rolls from Peart, or the cowbell solo? Drummers create their own style and stick with fills that work for them, and the drummers you have listed are no different.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:14 AM

Led Zeppelin was the band that got me hooked on rock&roll. John Bonham was the drummer that made me want to learn. I love what everyone has to say about him and even if his style isn't exactly your cup of tea, everyone can certainly respect his talent and his dedication to his craft. He played every single show with the utmost intensity and his contributions to the world of music are, in my opinion, invaluable.

yeah bonzo!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 AM

Being lucky to see Zep play not once but 3 times, I'd have to say ANY LIVE Moby Dick would make your head hurt for a week or 2 and not from the volume level but tryin to figure out what he was doing..

NEVER MIND THE POST BELOW HE NEVER SAW ZEP LIVE

Did you know Zep was an improv/jam band? Check out more than just the studio cuts and Song Remains the Same and you'll see that. Find some bootleg stuff or some LIVE BBC stuff you'll get the drift.

Last edited by drumslaveDave; 03-08-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Administrator

bonzo's montreaux is a good snapshot of his creativity, signature sound and grooves ability. it is a far superior solo than moby dick in terms of its musicality.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Administrator

its strikes me that a_rockdrummer is a troll and i will be watching him. alex and kieth would not, and have not touched bonham. far more drummers today cite john as their hero. there are clearly reasons. besides if you think drumming is some sort of ranked competition then you are very much in need of a reality check and perhaps ten years of growing up time. bonham was a legend and an innovator.
Quote:
same old crap over and over again
shows that you have a poorly developed ear for music. how is fool in the rain in any way related to good times bad times or houses of the holy.

Quote:
bonham played jazz, bigband, samba and other latin grooves, blues, rock, dixie, bluegrass, heavy, light, pop and also a lot of stuff that doesn't fit into any nameable genre.
you really shot yourself in the foot here.

my forum rule stands:
DON'T BASH BONZO....EVER.

J

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 03-08-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

Ha ha - good one!

(if somebody takes this serious: you didn't got it - was a joke of course)

and don't bash Ringo!!!

Bernhard
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 AM
helldrummer

i h8 jon bohnam and all these olden day jazz drummers they are not fast and joey jordison is better coz he is fast and he plays good music not jazz like jon bohnam or flow mornier (who is crap) tray cool is better than john coz at least he isn't an olden day jazz drummer who plays jazz i h8 my parents
Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Senior Administrator

lol. you also hate drummers who only have two tomtoms amd three cymbals...what's wrong with them? they are rich and famous so why don't they buy a gong, 23 cymbals and 14 tomtoms.
j

now back on topic a_rockdrummer, i eagerly await your response.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:06 PM

Love Bonzo... my favorite drummer. In My Time of Dying is my favorite Bonham tune. I'm surprised no one mentioned Trampled Underfoot when talking about Bonhams right foot. For me the most impressive of all Zep tunes with regards to this.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:12 PM

How the hell could anyone say Bonzo was a crap drummer!!!!

Thats like saying you dont beleive in GOD!!!!

Bonzo's groove and timing was impeccable. His style and the way he played the heel toe on his feet.. especially in the Imigrant Song is amazing.

I cant see how someone who has twice the number of drums could blow bonham off the stage because bonham didnt need thousands of toms or kick drums to get a massive sound.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Andy
Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Stu_Strib

Good Times Bad Times, The Ocean, Fool in the Rain...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Bring it on home
Heart breaker
When the leavy breaks
Fool in the rain
Old 03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Default John Bonham sound clips....never before heard by most people

Below is 4 sound files that i got from another drummerworld member (Bonzo91). These sound files are rare and you prob cannot find them anywhere.....i got them off of a website Bonzo91 sent me and i took a few and put them on here.

these sound files are rare John Bonham drum clips of him playing in the recording studio (just the drums)....this is when zeppelin was in the process of recording in through the out door in the months of november and december 1978.

thanks Bonzo91!!!

heres also a site that i found with alot of rare zeppelin pics

http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/photo.htm

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 BonhamFile1.mp3 (532.1 KB, 767 views)
File Type: mp3 BonhamFile2.mp3 (2.10 MB, 699 views)
File Type: mp3 BonhamFile3.mp3 (1.33 MB, 639 views)
File Type: mp3 BonhamFile4.mp3 (1.19 MB, 634 views)
Old 03-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: JOHN BONHAM SOUND CLIPS....NEVER BEFORE HEARD BY MOST PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Man, his booming drum sound is almost frightening, not to mention those sounds he making in the first file, haha, thanks pdp and bonzo91 for the great clips.

-Donovan
Old 03-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: JOHN BONHAM SOUND CLIPS....NEVER BEFORE HEARD BY MOST PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Yea these clips are a sweet find. I have somewhere around 23 total clips from the same sessions. I can't even remember where I got them it was so long ago. I think there may be another thread on here that has the rest, or maybe not, I don't remember.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:35 AM

Thanks to you too i thought people really had to hear em
Old 03-11-2006, 03:08 AM

Man, what is it about his playing? There's just so much force behind each stroke. I could listen to him play all day.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:34 AM
Gold Member

u guys want me to post some more? because theres about 25 in all and ill post 5 more tonight if i have time
Old 03-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

maybe the most ignorant thing ive ever heard on drummerworld ever...(except for fall out boy becoming the next beatles)....john bonham is the godfather of all rock drumming. u cant compare neil peart to bonham because theyre are soooooooooooo different when it comes to theyre technique and style......i mean soooooo far apart....alex van halen doesnt touch any of these guys and moon didnt own a hi hat so case closed
Old 03-11-2006, 05:41 AM

Heres some other outtakes i stumbled over check em out...the weird thing is ledzeppelin.org is not a real website so how that works is a mystery lol.
http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimed...ioouttakes.htm
Old 03-11-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au
How the hell could anyone say Bonzo was a crap drummer!!!!

Thats like saying you dont beleive in GOD!!!!

Bonzo's groove and timing was impeccable. His style and the way he played the heel toe on his feet.. especially in the Imigrant Song is amazing.

I cant see how someone who has twice the number of drums could blow bonham off the stage because bonham didnt need thousands of toms or kick drums to get a massive sound.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Andy
Ummm . . . . i don't believe in god . . . . . but i do believe John Bonham brought more to rock drumming than any other drummer dead or alive . . . . . .

Ask 1000 drummers for their top ten, and JB will rank higher for more people than anyone else. Just read any drumming magazine - just about every pro or amateur interviewed lists JB as an influence.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i havent seen anyone come close to bonhams right foot, except maybe jo jo mayer, but even then, there not as powerful as bonhams.
Actually I'd say:
1) you haven't seen Bonzo live
2) you haven't seen Jojo Mayer live ;-)
so you can't really compare them

Come on, there are plenty of people technically better than Bonzo, your idolizing him too much. That's like saying Buddy Rich was faster with one hand than most of the pros with both...
I'm 200% sure I would winn a battle of me (using both hands) vs Mike Mangini (just one hand :D )

John Bonham's ''weapons'' were awsome groove (oh man, that's a deeeeep pocket!!!)
and inovation!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp 9091
and moon didnt own a hi hat so case closed
He owned one. He used it in the studio, but live he didn't. That may seem weird to most drummers, but the way The Who played live it really fits quite nicely. Since the Who never really "grooves" the high hats are not really necessary. The Who is all about sheer energy, and when a drummer goes for energy most of the time he is on the crash, and Moon was pure energy.