DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Fastest Double Bass Player?

If you had to pick one drummer, who would you say the fastest double bass player is? On which song? cd?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Double Bass

Fastest ever double bass player I have ever seen is Thomas Lang. Truely awe-inspiring.

Or if I had to pick one from my metal collection, would be a toss up between Steve Ashiem of Deicide or Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel. I'm most fond of Dave Lombardo of Slayer aswell, but he's not so much about speed, but brutal power and technique.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 AM

Gene Hoglan of Strapping Young Lad is damn fast. And he keeps it fast for long periods of time and records without splicing any parts. Dude weighs like 350 lbs, but he can double bass like a MOFO.

But it's not about speed. For me it's about the double bass patterns and tricks here and there like Tomas Haake of Meshuggah plays on the Meshuggah song "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" from their Chaosphere CD. Check that one out for some cool double bass...
Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 AM

I second the Gene Holgan....

Though he's even better in Death....

In fact any drummer for Death was phenominal. Richard Christyu ruled!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Meshuggah's 21minute long EP "I" has the longest and most regular double bass rythms. MR HAAKE once again.

MAIK from the swiss grindcore band Nostromo is my all time favourite double bass beast. "Unwillingly and Slow" on the album Ecce Lex shows off the most angry blastbeat.

Not the flashiest, but I love the work of JIMMY DEGRASSO on the Suicidal Tendencies song "Lost Again" from Lights, Camera, Revolution album.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:57 PM
onggie

The fastest I have heard is Travis from Trivium. But I don't to much of the fast double bass etc stuff. Eg a lot of the heavy metal stuff.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:45 PM
pascal-paiste

Smile Re: Double Bass

i think the fastest double bass drum is dennis chambers and neil peart
Old 07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Pioneer Member

hmmm..i gotta say thomas lang sure has some speed.

others like Pete Sandoval (Morbid angel) and dave lombardo (Slayer, but the one album (The Gathering) he played with Testament has incredible double bass, not to mention incredible overal drummer) are pretty fast with double bass. theres definetly others, but those ones firstly come to mind
Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Elemental Nausea

well in the technical section, i think it would be virgil donati and maybe thomas lang

but as the constantly smashing double bass is more common in metal, I think, some drummer dudes of malevolent creation or death are very fast, or the berzerker drummer , or nick barker, or also joey jordison, or lombardo, lol there would be so many who can play really fast, but you cant exactly tell who is the fastest
@speedy: but it is for sure not lars ulrich :D
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 AM

Derek Roddy has fast pedal works.. Most death metal bands i listen to have a fast feet works.. Hate eternal.. And tim yeung from vital remains has incredible speeds too.. :)
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Ambiguous Arson

first of all, Im Matt, im an 18 year old jazz/funk drummer from PA...

If you want fast double bass and incredible precision, you want Flo Mounier of Crytopsy...

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/mounier.html

check out his videos...can't say i've seen anyone play faster singles in my life
Old 07-09-2005, 07:37 AM

suprising none of you have heard of hellhammer, the legendary scandanavian black metal drummer......as sinister as his band mayhem may be, his double bass is by far the fastest ive ever heard..rumor has it he is recording with DIMMU BORGIR, as their master metal skinsman nick barker stepped aside. hellhammer also drums with thorns and arcturus...look them up and you will be amazed. next to him its dimmu borgir's old drummer nick barker.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:46 AM

the guy from morbid angel is fast...but not as fast as hellhammer, nobody is
Old 07-09-2005, 02:58 PM

Tim Waterson has got to get a mention. In the metal ranks theres also Dave Mclean from Machine Head and Van Williams from Nevermore who never seems that fast till their Enemies Of Reality album.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:45 PM

I'd have to agree with the Flo comment AND the dude from Nile. On the new Nile, I think the speeds are something like 250-270 bpm....

Marc.

p.s. - Cool Flo Vid. :D

Old 07-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Pioneer Member

That flo mounier solo on the vic firth website is horrible in comparison to his other solo's, and believe me I've seen alot. Seen cryptospy live 2 times, and the two times he did jawdropping solo's ( I was RIGHT besides the set ), I also have a solo on video of him, that doesn't seem to be on the net anymore because I can't find it anywhere.

To be honest fast double bass to me, doesn't mean anything if its not tastefull. Some of the best double bass work i've heard would probably be from Gene Hoglan with the work he did on the Death albums.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkintriplets
I'd have to agree with the Flo comment AND the dude from Nile. On the new Nile, I think the speeds are something like 250-270 bpm....

Marc.

p.s. - Cool Flo Vid. :D
250 bpm is really really slow, you can do that on one foot if your decent... not metranome speed but actuall bpm, the faster double bass players are over 850's
Old 07-11-2005, 07:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Talking Re: Double Bass

Jo Jo mayer and John Bonham, ooo wait they didnt and dont need one.

That aside, i dont think that the double bass should be used to up for the drummers lack of hand speed. Not all drummers are like this, but a lot are.

But the person who uses the double bass as it should be, the best would have to be Dennis Chambers.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartersChops
250 bpm is really really slow, you can do that on one foot if your decent... not metranome speed but actuall bpm, the faster double bass players are over 850's

He is talking about 16th notes played at 250BPM....That is really really fast...270 is insane!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:48 PM

Thumbs up Re: Double Bass

derek roddy has my vote! you forgot Aurora Borealis! awsome band he drummed for! also the drummer for Origin is insane!!! for pure speed these are drummers you have to stand in awe to!

http://www.thesicness.co.uk/krazyken...Lesson_01.mpeg video of derek

http://www.thesicness.co.uk/krazyken...gin-portal.mp3 - most insane origin song
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Pioneer Member

According to WFD, Tim Waterson is the supposed fastest. However that's only of the people who participate in the competitions, and there are probably woodshedders everywhere who can do 2000 bpm on the feet, but dont know about it.

His scores were Double Pedal Single Strokes - 1,030, Double Pedal Double Strokes - 1,407, Single Pedal (One Foot) 650. These are all bpm.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM

I would say Tim Waterson i saw his video off the axid pedals website and the speed he gets is amazing and its really smooth. I would also say Virgil Donati.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:44 AM

Jaska Raatikainen the drummer from Children of Bodom.

OR

This kid I have no clue who he is but someone from Harmony Central posted this kid he knows playing and this kid is fast with sticks and bass plus he has control. He's a pretty good drummer.

Clickety
Old 07-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Hmmm....where do you start???? Derek Roddy, Tony Laureano, George Kollias, Hellhammer. Roddy mentioned once that he got 1,068 with singles once, and something like 633 in 30 seconds.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:11 AM

Humm..

Because somtimes there are much more difficulties than druming fast with double bass,
I forgot to mention Herve Torcheux, a french drummer so amazing: Fla, ghost note and a wird technique stoll from brazilian percussion: baita
no secret for him....
a must seen :)
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 AM

When it comes to double bass, i wouldn't go for fastest, but more for style and technicalities. Cause with the triple bass pedals and what not out there, any body can get them moving pretty quick.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:36 AM
devilfreshmaster

Default Definately George Kollias

I guess maybe George Kollias is not the absolute fastest but he's a good example of the speed the best are around. I personally think his control is amazing. Check out his video to give your opinion. George Kollias Drum Solo
Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 PM

I don't know about speed, but the cleanest chops I've ever heard are by Carter Beauford and their pretty fast.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:06 AM

The #1 fast double bass player is Tim Waterson. period. He's also in the Guinness Book Of Records...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Fastest Double Bass Player?

There's some kid on this forum who is now touring with vital remains. He posted under "extremely fast-drumming." It's pretty amazing. I can't remember his name. H'es only in his early twenties, I think. There's a video on that thread.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Yeah, but what does 650 BPM mean? Does that mean if you set to 650 BPM, you hit it every beap, or more than one time between beaps?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
fourstringdrums

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Raymond Hererra from Fear Factory.

I checked out the Flo Mournier video...worst snare sound I've heard since St. Anger.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Curtis - BPM stands for Beats Per Minute, so the numbers quoted by LDGuy for Tim Waterson are the number of individual hits, i.e 650 individual bass drum hits with one foot in a minute.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Pioneer Member

I have a feeling alot of people are not too sure just what BPM represents...BPM is Beats Per Minute and this represents the TEMPO you're playing at...When sombody says something like "Hey i just played 16ths on the bass at 200 BPM" it does not mean they played only 200 stokes in the minute...If somebody plays at 200 BPM for 1 minute and kept perfect time, they would've hit exactly 800 strokes in that minute...Now take Mangini for example...He played over 1200 single strokes in 1 minute, that is a tempo of just over 300 BPM...Now if any of you have a metronome handy, put it on 300 BPM and just listen to how insanley fast you have to play...Over 20 stokes per SECOND...I have no idea how anyone is able to play that fast...
Old 09-20-2005, 03:18 AM

360 bpm by pete hammouri, the nile drummer. my friend saw em live when they opened for king diamond

those are sixteenth notes by the way. so i guess multiply that number by 4
Old 09-20-2005, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGuy
According to WFD, Tim Waterson is the supposed fastest. However that's only of the people who participate in the competitions, and there are probably woodshedders everywhere who can do 2000 bpm on the feet, but dont know about it.

His scores were Double Pedal Single Strokes - 1,030, Double Pedal Double Strokes - 1,407, Single Pedal (One Foot) 650. These are all bpm.
I checked out the WFD website. Mr. Waterson holds 2 of the foot-speed records. Mr. Mike Mingini holds the foot endurance record. He also holds other WFD records as well; more of an all-around fast drummer as far as WFD records that is.

Current WFD Records:

Matched Grip Singles - 1,247,
Bare Hands Singles - 1,138,
Traditional Grip Singles - 1,126,
Endurance 13,222 Feet Singles in 15 Minutes

Like LDGuy mentioned, this information is only on people who actually participate in the World's Fastest Drummer competitions. I would agree that there are others in the world who are at least close to these guys!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
I have a feeling alot of people are not too sure just what BPM represents...BPM is Beats Per Minute and this represents the TEMPO you're playing at...When sombody says something like "Hey i just played 16ths on the bass at 200 BPM" it does not mean they played only 200 stokes in the minute...If somebody plays at 200 BPM for 1 minute and kept perfect time, they would've hit exactly 800 strokes in that minute...Now take Mangini for example...He played over 1200 single strokes in 1 minute, that is a tempo of just over 300 BPM...Now if any of you have a metronome handy, put it on 300 BPM and just listen to how insanley fast you have to play...Over 20 stokes per SECOND...I have no idea how anyone is able to play that fast...
All this seems confusing; especially since you are implying playing 16th notes played in a 4/4 time signature.

I think that it would be less confusing if we just compared using strokes per minute like WFD does.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA
All this seems confusing; especially since you are implying playing 16th notes played in a 4/4 time signature.

I think that it would be less confusing if we just compared using strokes per minute like WFD does.
I agree, and if I remember correctly BMP is the pulse marking on a metronome. Example if you set the metronome at 120 in 4/4 you will egt 120 pulses in 60 seconds, so forth and so on. With the drumometer it is DM's or 'drumometer markings'. Which is the actual amount of stroke played within a given time. With drumometer it is not limited or based on 60 seconds.

The new drumometer has a built in metronome and goes to something like 15 min. which is great for working on both technique and timing. Plus the 15 minute workouts adds the whole endurance factor, which is what Mike Mangini just set with his feet. Over 13,000!

Back to the poster's orginal question, it is Tim Waterson of Canada and following is his 1407 WFD World Record fro doubles. It opens in windows and can be viewed at:
http://www.extremesportdrumming.com/...abroadband.wmv
Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
NaturalRaz

Dave Lombardo

Carter Beauford

Dennis Chambers

They are all psycho in thier own way. But Carter and Dennis seem to be much cleaner than most metal drummers.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Derek Matthews

there are many fast drummers, my favorite is vinnie paul. coupled with dime (rip) they are awsome to listen to.