DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
parksung

Default why use heavy duty hardware?

if i don't hit so hard my cymbal and/or stand is falling over, why should i lug heavyweight hardware around? save my back and get light duty!

is this foolish? i can only see saving myself from back pain by doing it;)
Old 11-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: why use heavy duty hardware?

I think one factor may not be just the weight, but how long will it last. How many times can you set it up and tear it down, and knock it around before it falls apart. Something to think about.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:52 AM
mlehnertz

I prefer a heavy stand. Wear and tear is the main reason.

If you're worried about your back, don't put all your stands in one case (i.e. trap case). Put them in two or more cases or bags. Get a stand case that has wheels. Buy stands that can handle more than one boom. Stuff like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksung View Post
if i don't hit so hard my cymbal and/or stand is falling over, why should i lug heavyweight hardware around? save my back and get light duty!

is this foolish? i can only see saving myself from back pain by doing it;)
Old 11-24-2006, 02:13 AM
larlev

Personally I have never used HD hardware..for me, It is a big waste of money

The medium weight stuff has worked flawlessly for me...I guess if I played 200 shows a year it might be justified, but for the occasional gig...or at home playing the lighter or medium weight stuff is more than adequate.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

As a person who has had plenty of cymbal stands fall over- some off of risers- get yourself some heavy duty stands, or a rack.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Synthetik

I hit pretty hard. I like my multitom/multi cymbal setup to be positioned *exactly* where I want it, and to stay there. I have a rack because I need it.

OTOH...

I know a few jazzers that have the lightweight gear from the 60's and 70's and have no problem. Although, the ride cymbals still seem a bit wobbly...
Old 11-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Personally I have never used HD hardware..for me, It is a big waste of money

The medium weight stuff has worked flawlessly for me...I guess if I played 200 shows a year it might be justified, but for the occasional gig...or at home playing the lighter or medium weight stuff is more than adequate.

Even at 200 shows a year, I don't know that heavy duty is the way to go! It is still alot to move around if you don't have to. I personally use a mix of the heavy duty tom stand for a stand that holds a 15" tom, 21" Rock Ride, 18" Crash and a (more) cowbell. I have a flat base cymbal stand for the single crash on the left side of my kit.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Just 'cause a stand has double-braced legs does not mean it's gonna be a long lasting stand. I've had Ludwig, Pearl, Kima, Tama, DW, Remo, Yamaha and Gibraltar stands. All my Yamaha stands are single braced and are great. If you're gonna run 2 cymbals of 1 stand, or hang a tom off a cymbal stand, then you might want to go with the heavier weight stand. I still have 4 double-braced Kima stands that are real work horses. They're like mini-racks. I can fly 3 items off 1 stand if I need to. 26 years ago I had 10 Tama Titan boom stands. Needed the weight back then, don't need it now.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Just 'cause a stand has double-braced legs does not mean it's gonna be a long lasting stand. I've had Ludwig, Pearl, Kima, Tama, DW, Remo, Yamaha and Gibraltar stands. All my Yamaha stands are single braced and are great. If you're gonna run 2 cymbals of 1 stand, or hang a tom off a cymbal stand, then you might want to go with the heavier weight stand. I still have 4 double-braced Kima stands that are real work horses. They're like mini-racks. I can fly 3 items off 1 stand if I need to. 26 years ago I had 10 Tama Titan boom stands. Needed the weight back then, don't need it now.
Yeah it's really the modern construction. Many single braced stands have the structural rigidity and strength to do the job. They are a far cry from the glorified high school music stands that used to be prevelent. Some of the flat base, single braced stands work fine now.

And I never figured out what the use of a double-braced hihat stand is, except for show.

This one works fine:

(Dave Garabaldi used this one for years.)
Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

from personal experimentation

if you aren't using rack and have a ton of stands, and have your stuff closer to you instead of more spread out (or you're just anal about where everything should be placed down to the last mm) then heavier hardware is better. You don't need to open the stand feet so wide and this makes them smaller and easier to place without worry of your cymbals falling over.

So with lighter stuff, the feet(whats the proper term for eM?) need to be opened wider so that you get more balance to compromise for less weight.

I personally use heavier stands so that I can be anal about my positioning. So there you go.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

I used to use single braced hardware but it was constantly moving all over the place, it was always a pain in the backside. After that, I bought a rack, but my problem was that when having a gig on someone else's kit it I couldn't add more cymbals because 95% of the time the other guys had cymbals stands (me having boom arms.)

With my last kit, I chose the Yamaha 900 series stands (this is heavy hardware baby!). I only have 5 stands, and everything is hanging off of these. They do the job perfectly and don't budge one bit. My guitarist actually fell over on one once and it stayed put, seriously. The cymbal that was on it took care of "biting" his back though. REVENGE!

I happen to have back problems, but carrying this stuff around is not too troublesome. I get to the gig a few hours in advance so I can take my time moving the gear (being in a rush would incite you to grab as much gear as possible to be faster. Bad for the back in my experience!) And most of the time people/band mates are kind enough to give a helping hand.

So, to sum up all that blah blah, I went for the heavy duty hardware because the simple braced stuff didn't do it for me.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Synthetik

<- what is this? I don't understand what I am looking at.

Last edited by Synthetik; 11-24-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:57 PM

I have a lightweight Rogers cymbal stand that holds a 16" China, and a 14" Crash, and both of the clamps for the cymbals are Pulse, and I haven't had any problems for 4 years.

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 11-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Pro or semi pro go heavy. I play 150 shows a year and have never been let down. Heavy stand might weigh 5 pounds more a piece....suck it up.
I have a Yamaha 9000 boom that is 10 years old and still used every show to hold 20 or 22 inch ride, a 12 or 13 inch tom and a 14 crash on a boom. The legs are still tight with no wobble, and when I show it a little love and clean it, it still shines like new. I also love the look of a 6" splash on a mighty boom stand : ^ )
Old 11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
Pro or semi pro go heavy. I play 150 shows a year and have never been let down. Heavy stand might weigh 5 pounds more a piece....suck it up.
I have a Yamaha 9000 boom that is 10 years old and still used every show to hold 20 or 22 inch ride, a 12 or 13 inch tom and a 14 crash on a boom. The legs are still tight with no wobble, and when I show it a little love and clean it, it still shines like new. I also love the look of a 6" splash on a mighty boom stand : ^ )
That's why I have a carbon fiber rack. It's lighter than a just a few lightweight stands.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:52 AM

Try the PDP 800 series hardware for the light weight and the great price. the 2 leg hihat stand is awsome. Mine are on there 39th gig this year, no regrets.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
<- what is this? I don't understand what I am looking at.
You are looking at circles. I am very fund of black and white artwork based on circular graphics. That one is just something I did ages ago... Since I like it, I use it everywhere as my avatar.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
As a person who has had plenty of cymbal stands fall over- some off of risers- get yourself some heavy duty stands, or a rack.
X2. Nothing more annoying then breaking a $300 cymbal just to save $20 on a stand.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
You are looking at circles. I am very fund of black and white artwork based on circular graphics. That one is just something I did ages ago... Since I like it, I use it everywhere as my avatar.
Ok, I thought there was a specific object it represented or meaning for it.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ok, I thought there was a specific object it represented or meaning for it.
Circles can represent a lot of things: perfection, infinity, a cycle etc. Peeps can see what they want into it...

: )
Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
Circles can represent a lot of things: perfection, infinity, a cycle etc. Peeps can see what they want into it...

: )

I see...I see....A die cast hoop for a 1997 Ludwig supraphonic snare drum!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I see...I see....A die cast hoop for a 1997 Ludwig supraphonic snare drum!!!
Tell me what you see and I'll tell you what you are eh? :p
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM
parksung

i just learned that tightening some of the wingnuts too much might just cause them to break off...for the Network stands at least (CAD45)...

Last edited by parksung; 12-22-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 PM

My personal kit, I use medium grade Pacific hardware. Never had a problem.

One of the bands I play with has their own kit and hardware and has heavy duty Tama stands. Those heavy duty Tama stands are the worst. The cymbals don't stay on their plane, or go flying out of the orbit of the kit, or the parts have somehow welded themselves together and their unable to be adjusted. At as much as three times the cost of my cheap medium grade hardware, I doubt I'll ever purchase such items.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 PM

i have heavy duty hardware on my kit.

waste.

Big Waste.

I'm going for the ludwig flat base or the DW flush stands. YES. Light duty. Works perfectly.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pollo diablo View Post
i have heavy duty hardware on my kit.

waste.

Big Waste.

I'm going for the ludwig flat base or the DW flush stands. YES. Light duty. Works perfectly.
i have a lot of heavy duty stuff myself and i agree. I bought a DW6500 High Hat Stand (flush base) and i could not be happier with it. Its super light and works perfectly. Whats more, its great quality for a good price. I will defenately buy more of the 6000 stands.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:23 AM

arghhh I just updated my kit's hardware to the heavy duty stuff today, you can check it in the "Your Place" section, not the link in my signature. DEFINTATELY worth it. I play about 2-3 gigs a month but the wear and tear of it is just brutal on the lightweight stuff. The only pain is setting it all up in 15 minutes at the gigs :). My old hardware was falling apart after three years.