DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Remote hi hats

I want to buy a remote hat. Since the DW is ludicrously expensive it's out of the running. and since I can't find a Tama for sale on any of the UK drum shop websites it looks like it's between Yamaha and Pearl. I can get the Yamaha for 10 more than the Pearl. So, has anyone had any experience with either and which is the way forward?

The Yamaha looks mega beefy but I've seen a number of pro's using the Pearl. Help?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remote hi hats

If possible, try them both. I'd imagine that both are of high quality, so it just comes down to your personal preference.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:52 PM

I'd suggest the Pearl. They always make sturdy hardware and I'm sure this is no exception.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:18 PM

it honestly depends on the serise ... ive tried the pearl 2000 serise remote hi hat and its horrible for the price ... sure its sturdy and you can tell itll last the test of time. you have to put so much force to get the hats to close a little bit i honestly think you'll regret going with pearl if you order that... i havnt tried the yamaha but all yamaha hardware and pedals are incredible in quality ... so id suggest the yammy but first try both.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

OK I need to add this - there's no way I can try either, since the nearest drum shop is a long long way away (talking well over an hours drive) and very few shops seem to keep the remote hi hat stands in stock.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Do you actually need a remote, or will an X-hat do? You can pick those guys up for cheap, any brand you want. Add a drop clutch and it may even satisfy most of your requirements for a remote. Anyway, just an idea for your consideration. Joey
Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

surely with a drop clutch on an x-hat once it's dropped you can't get it back up again?

i'd like a remote hi hat ideally, just so i can play similar grooves and stuff on both sets of hats.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

I think I'm going with the Pearl - any more comments for either brand or suggestions for alternative brands?

Cheers!

Al
Old 11-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Hi, AL. Right you are, once down, you can't get it back in ready/drop position unless you re-set it. Again, I was just raising the idea of an x-hat in place of a remote as a solution to the money issue. If you want to play with your foot, it will not work for you.
By the way. here is a link to Thomas Lang playing an x-hat. And mucho china! Enjoy. Joey
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...gnautilus.html
Old 11-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Cheers Joey. My computer seriously dislikes that Lang video, keeps having an error and shutting internet explorer down every time I open the video. Rubbish. I'll try on another computer tomorrow.

As far as money goes, I think this is the last thing I want to buy for my kit beside a new snare stand and new throne. so should have it finished inside another 250. Aside from snares, of course : )
Old 11-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerson View Post
it honestly depends on the serise ... ive tried the pearl 2000 serise remote hi hat and its horrible for the price ... sure its sturdy and you can tell itll last the test of time. you have to put so much force to get the hats to close a little bit i honestly think you'll regret going with pearl if you order that... i havnt tried the yamaha but all yamaha hardware and pedals are incredible in quality ... so id suggest the yammy but first try both.

er...it's adjustable! if it takes too much effort to close (as my pearl did when it arrived), you just move the various settings (spring tension mainly for that) until you find whats right for you....the pearl is an awesome bit of kit - its generally regarded as the most adjustable and most responsive remote hat there is, so I'd get that. In fact, i did get that.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Silver Member

Too late son! Already ordered it : ) Although I don't know when it's due to arrive cos Pearl had closed by the time I ordered it from the drum shop I get my stuff from. Can't wait!!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:39 PM

If anybody could update on how the pedal remote hats feel, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for one that would be my primary hi-hat on my kit, since I'm going to arrange the drums surrounding me in a circle, with toms both left and right, kinda like Bruford and Mangini. A standing hi-hat would inhibit the arrangement of the toms.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

I will as soon as mine arrives mate : )
Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
Cheers Joey. My computer seriously dislikes that Lang video, keeps having an error and shutting internet explorer down every time I open the video. Rubbish. I'll try on another computer tomorrow.

As far as money goes, I think this is the last thing I want to buy for my kit beside a new snare stand and new throne. so should have it finished inside another 250. Aside from snares, of course : )
you just need to stop the video before it reaches the un-downloaded part... well at least it works that way for me, my broadband really is slow.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

I couldn't even get the video to start loading!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Remote hi hats are awesome by the way, get them. Danny Carey has hi hats in front of him, not sure what remote hi hat he uses but it's awesome, and as mentioned, the Pearl is extremely adjustable to get the feel just right.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered_beast View Post
Remote hi hats are awesome by the way, get them. Danny Carey has hi hats in front of him, not sure what remote hi hat he uses but it's awesome, and as mentioned, the Pearl is extremely adjustable to get the feel just right.
congrats on the new stand, and danny carey i think from seeing an updated overhead pic on his site he uses a DW 7000? maybe not quiet sure.