DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Default My Tama Set

Hey Guys, this is my twelve piece setup ( my other snare is at school). I need some UPGRADES!! New pedals, CYMBALS, heads. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have about 1000$ to spend.

Peace
AGR
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: My Tama Set

I'm loving the concert toms and single-headed bass drums. Alot of the jazz guys are going to give you hell for them, but let me say this: Rock on Brotha!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:50 AM

straight out of the 80s......get some coated ec2's if you are looking for new heads, i love them, but i guess it all depends on what kind of sound you are going for
Old 11-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Yeah im also gonna say go ahead and buy new heads. With the rest of your money, maybe buy some nice cymabls. I would say Zildjian A's or Sabian AAX's, only because the K's and stuff like that are alot more expensive.

Also, are you an open player? becasuse your snare is soooo far away from your hi hat.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:00 AM

get the backs to ur bases, and the bottom head for ur toms....then move on to other stuf, like cymbols and stuf
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

Woah a monster from the 80s.. i bet its loud!

Myspace-Add me!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
Woah a monster from the 80s.. i bet its loud!
Yea man! Its very loud. I think i will get some evans, sounds pretty good and your absolutely right, its from outa 84'.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Yeah im also gonna say go ahead and buy new heads. With the rest of your money, maybe buy some nice cymabls. I would say Zildjian A's or Sabian AAX's, only because the K's and stuff like that are alot more expensive.

Also, are you an open player? becasuse your snare is soooo far away from your hi hat.
Yea, Its really hard to get them much closer. I've tried it and i was so used to the feel of it farther away i just left it faraway. : )
Old 11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum911 View Post
get the backs to ur bases, and the bottom head for ur toms....then move on to other stuf, like cymbols and stuf
I cant get bottoms to my toms, look at the picture. I like it without the backs to them. Including my bass drum.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Very steep tom angles and a few of the cymbals also. Not sure how to crash a cymbal that steep.???
Old 11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Synthetik

That's pretty cool!

TAMA IMPERIALSTAR

http://www.tama.com/history/full_size/12-IMP.jpg

Rockin kit!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Very steep tom angles and a few of the cymbals also. Not sure how to crash a cymbal that steep.???
I like the cymbals the way they are, they arent really that steep, just seems like that in pic. About the toms, i like to have them a little steeper, its more comfortable to me, im pretty tall so it helps when i play.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I cant get bottoms to my toms, look at the picture. I like it without the backs to them. Including my bass drum.
Very funky set. Concert toms are what they are, without resonant heads, however, I think you are doing a disservice to the bass drums by having the heads off for two reasons -

1. Structurally, the toms mounted on the bass drums are applying alot of downward weight, thus flexing the bass drums which may lead to weakened structural integrity and eventual cracking of the shell when under stress. Replacing the reso heads and hoops acts as a structural brace to counter the weight/pressure. If you don't care for the sound of a reso head on the bass drums (more about sound in the second point), I would at the very least get some mesh heads to put on the front of the bass drums and put the rims/hoops back on to save the shells from any potential damage/warping.

2. Taking off the reso heads and stuffing the insides of the bass drums with foam and other materials such as blankets or towels would (to me in my humble, but thoughtful and well-meant opinion) make the bass drums sound like dead cardboard boxes when stuck by the beater of the pedals, unless that is the sound that you are trying to get. I would buy some quality head sets for the bass drums, such as the Aquarian Super Kick batters with Regulator resonance or Evans Emad batters and what ever they offer for their dampened resonant heads, and place those on the kicks without any other internal muffling, after that, stand back and let the deep and beefy "thump" shake the walls!

Other than that, I would retire the tired looking heads on the concert toms and get some new heads. I could be wrong, but it looks like you may already have a good assortment of cymbals that may be older, but from looking at the pictures, may be quality Zildjian A's, which never go out of style. Play that funky music!

Last edited by dingbat; 01-01-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Thats a real big set :O and its real cool =)
Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

I suggest Aquarian Superkicks for the basses, and Studio-X or Response IIs for toms. I recently switched over to a Superkick I for my bass and Studio-X's for my toms, and I love 'em.

For cymbals, I'd say go with Z Customs or A Customs. If you're into really into 80's rock (with a set like that, I would be too), I'd go with Z Customs, but if you're skeptical A Customs, or a mixture of the two are a fine choice.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

How about a remote hi-hat, so that you wouldn't have to reach for it all the time?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
How about a remote hi-hat, so that you wouldn't have to reach for it all the time?
Let me put it this way, i have played with it that way soooo long that when i try to play with it closer, i miss and get off beat. But than again, i should learn how to play it that way, thats a good idea, ill definitley look into that.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Very funky set. Concert toms are what they are, without resonant heads, however, I think you are doing a disservice to the bass drums by having the heads off for two reasons -

1. Structurally, the toms mounted on the bass drums are applying alot of downward weight, thus flexing the bass drums which may lead to weakened structural integrity and eventual cracking of the shell when under stress. Replacing the reso heads and hoops acts as a structural brace to counter the weight/pressure. If you don't care for the sound of a reso head on the bass drums (more about sound in the second point), I would at the very least get some mesh heads to put on the front of the bass drums and put the rims/hoops back on to save the shells from any potential damage/warping.

2. Taking off the reso heads and stuffing the insides of the bass drums with foam and other materials such as blankets or towels would (to me in my humble, but thoughtful and well-meant opinion) make the bass drums sound like dead cardboard boxes when stuck by the beater of the pedals, unless that is the sound that you are trying to get. I would buy some quality head sets for the bass drums, such as the Aquarian Super Kick batters with Regulator resonance or Evans Emad batters and what ever they offer for their dampened resonant heads, and place those on the kicks without any other internal muffling, after that, stand back and let the deep and beefy "thump" shake the walls!

Other than that, I would retire the tired looking heads on the concert toms and get some new heads. I could be wrong, but it looks like you may already have a good assortment of cymbals that may be older, but from looking at the pictures are quality Zildjian A's, which never go out of style. Play that funky music!
Wow, never thought of it that way, i'lll do that. it sounds pretty goood, but i am lookin for a better sound.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:51 PM

On the concert toms I would get new CS Blackdots. They sound great on concert toms. Other than that I love your kit. very Eric Carr!
Old 12-02-2006, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Cool, thanks for the comments, i love Kiss!! I know i need new drumheads now, just busted 2 yesterday.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 AM

Some of the cymbals look a little torn up and I was thinking the same thing about the toms stressing the bass drums w/o the reso heads. Other than that, what a really cool kit I would have sold my dads cars to have in the 80's. A kit that any rock drummer would be proud to have.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 PM

nice looks really sweet to play, do you like having so many toms

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24312
Old 12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exportdrummer View Post
nice looks really sweet to play, do you like having so many toms
There are pros and cons about it. Pros of course are a much more dynamic range and much more fills. Some cons are it takes a very long time to take down and setup, but once you get it setup, you get to play hard! Yes, i already put the resonance heads on, WOW! its sounds WAY better now. They actually seem much more stable now too.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Synthetik

Adding that gigging with single headed toms is much easier. The toms can be nested and take up much less space to transport than double headed kits.

I have to add this kit to my "monster kit" gallery.

Last edited by Synthetik; 12-03-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik View Post
Adding that gigging with single headed toms is much easier. The toms can be nested and take up much less space to transport than double headed kits.

I have to add this kit to my "monster kit" gallery.
Exactly, thats somethin my dad taught me. It really helps, and thanks, cant wait to be a partof the collection! : )
Old 12-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Gold Member

Ya u definatly need some upgrades and new cymbals. Do you still have that $1000 to spend?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Well, about 300$ now. I bought some sabians (HH) and a couple of Iron Cobra JR.'s I also bought new EMAD heads for my basses and new Pinstripe heads for my toms. Nice and Riiiiiiiingy!

Peace
AGR
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 AM

Different strokes for different folk..

I wouldn't even like to be in the same room as that kit. It makes me nauseated.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickers View Post

Then do you have any kind and encouraging suggestions you'd like to recommend to the young player of this kit to subdue the nausea?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Hey dude, im sorry u dont like it. I should show u some recent pics of it. I am very proud of my kit and love to play it. If you dont like it thas fine with me... : )
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Then do you have any kind and encouraging suggestions you'd like to recommend to the young player of this kit to subdue the nausea?
Sell it. I prefer smaller kits. Like this...

Attached Images

Last edited by stickers; 01-01-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Sell it. I prefer smaller kits. Like this...

Maybe that is not an option for a 16 year old young man. Not a very encouraging suggestion, lacking helpful or detailed rationale behind why he should sell, other than to satisfy somoene elses preference. Maybe the kit has sentimental value, maybe it was passed down or given as a gift from a dear family member, maybe his father, maybe someone close but deceased, who knows. Obviously he is proud of his kit, enough to post pictures of it and seek comarderie and guidance from a support group of drummers with multiple levels of knowledge, wisdom and experience that he may benefit from. A negative and sarcastic reaction from people towards one another when unprovoked is akin to someone raining on someone elses parade wouldn't you say? Happy New Year.

Last edited by dingbat; 01-01-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:55 AM

stickers - some how i dont think a heavy rock tom-tom run would sound too enthralling on two toms.

tama Player - whats the kit made of? What wood?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi, Tama Player ;) That kit looks good, I desperatly want to see some new pics of it ;) I'm glad you've taken Dingbat's and the other wells of wisdom and used that ;)

Joe
Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe that is not an option for a 16 year old young man. Not a very encouraging suggestion, lacking helpful or detailed rationale behind why he should sell, other than to satisfy somoene elses preference. Maybe the kit has sentimental value, maybe it was passed down or given as a gift from a dear family member, maybe his father, maybe someone close but deceased, who knows. Obviously he is proud of his kit, enough to post pictures of it and seek comarderie and guidance from a support group of drummers with multiple levels of knowledge, wisdom and experience that he may benefit from. A negative and sarcastic reaction from people towards one another when unprovoked is akin to someone raining on someone elses parade wouldn't you say? Happy New Year.

Selling something is always an option and in my honest this is an option he should exercise. All appearance and size issues aside , not having the option to use reso heads is a real draw back.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Well, about 300$ now. I bought some sabians (HH) and a couple of Iron Cobra JR.'s I also bought new EMAD heads for my basses and new Pinstripe heads for my toms. Nice and Riiiiiiiingy!

Peace
AGR
post some new pics. sounds like ur kits good now.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Mr. Carr, is that you?! Hahaha that's a massive kit man, i'd like to have a go at that sucker!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Triptech- Thanks maybe you should come see it sometime!

Everyone Else- Thanks, yes it was passed down by my father to me.It has alot of sentimental value to me. I would never ever sell it for any price. As soon as i get my new digital camera i will gladly post my new pics! ( havent got my cymbals quite yet, there on there way though!)

Peace
AGR
Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 PM

Thats a cool kit, although you should consider spreading them out a lil better. Looks very tight and cramped
Old 01-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
Thats a cool kit, although you should consider spreading them out a lil better. Looks very tight and cramped
Well, my room is pretty small and i have a hard time spreading them out. Besides, I like it close together. If you actually sit there in person, its not so bad.