DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Double Kick Pedals?

Does anyone have any good recomendations for a double kick pedal under 250 dollars???

Thanks!

Jesse
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double Kick Pedals?

What pedal do you play right now? Do you like it? Do you live close to a music store? Do they sell double-pedals there? If so, have you tried any out? I play 2 Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive pedals. Bought both of them used (slightly). If I was to get another double pedal I would get a (you guessed it) Yamaha. Last double pedal I owned was a DW 5000. Bought it used for $150. Good pedals. When I sold it, I got $150 for it. Not bad. Walk into a store and get your feet on some pedals. See what feels good to you. That's what's most important. What feels good to you. And welcome to Drummerworld.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Administrator

www.vexdrums.com
great pedal, $99.00, free shipping.
has every feature the $250.00 pedals and more...do yourself a favor and at least look at it.
also look at the gear section under other gear. many articles there plus a photo display of my pedal if you are interested.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

A new Duallist (www.theduallist.com) is $350, but you may be able to find a used one for sale.I've used one since March and I love it! If you want to put your right foot skills to work immediately and start playing shuffles and 16ths right away, you should consider a Duallist. Doing double bass well takes serious commitment and many hours of practice and for what I do, I don't use double bass enough to justify that kind of investment of time and effort.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM

Flyin' Dragon direct drives are what i play. An exceptional pedal without any loss of movement...but it takes a short bit to get used to if you go from a strap or chain. But once you do, you wont really want to go back. These pedals do need IMO better grip surface, but i just put some grip tape on them. Another thing would be a longboard option, since my feet are almost like a size 12. But these pedals are fast, highly durable, and pretty darn good price comparison wise. No hype here, just a well made product without all the little cams and things that IMO just make ya fiddle around forever seeking that Zen pedal feel.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
da cheese walks

Hey man how long are you playing??

I've been getting really frustrated lately looking through the videos of "drummers" on youtube...EVERY SINGLE kid with a kit seems to get a free double bass pedal with their brand new purchase.....i mean im 17 and only been playing 2 years...but even i know that if you start off playing and you start with a double peadal youll grow totally dependant on it for your flicks and in any type of music too...

I think every kid investing in a new kit or the likes should be shown the JoJo Mayer clinic video where he plays the "pedal quadruplets" thing....then when they can play triplets with one foot,(AND ONLY THEN!!!),can they buy a double bass pedal...

I know i sound like a total gimp...but i really think its become a fad thats going to bring down the drummers of the future....can you imagine one of these kids say 5 years down the line,sitting down to play a gig in front of a crowd,looking at his pedal and going "WHAT?!!ONLY ONE PEDAL?!??!?"....and not being able to do a double or triplet with one foot...

rant end.....

but honestly what do all you others think of my arguement??
Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Da Cheese: I think you are right on the money without sounding like a gimp at all...
Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post

Cat's the same age you are. He's lookin' for a double-pedal under $250. Did you address his question? I think your arguement is weak, but that's your opinion and you certainly have the right to it.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:24 AM

massmusic has the pearl eliminator for $239. I just got mine from guitar center and had them price match a couple weeks ago. I prefer it to the axis pedal I had, it just suits my playing better and feels great! With the changeable cam system there are a TON of options to get it to feel the way you want, and it's an all around great pedal. Just my two cents though.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 AM

As doubles go, I've used a double Pearl 2002C eliminator, and own a single eliminator, and those things are fantastic. They are super "make the pedal fit you"ish. But it just depends on what you like in the end. Just try out tons of different stuff in a drum shop, if you have one around.

As for da cheese's post. I couldn't agree more. I does seem like many people are just getting doubles and are satisfied with simple double work that is attainable, (With hard work) with a single pedal. But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Pioneer Member

i have a DW 5002 and it is a good system. Over $250 new though. However I would also look into the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive as well -- although i have never played one personally, i am interested in doing so. I have never heard a bad word about them. Although i do admit that the footboard does look too smooth to me.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:32 PM

HP200TWB Tama twin pedal (step down from iron cobras)

They are 199... i would guess they are $250 - $300?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Iron Cobras are ca. $280 new, so less than that. Why not pick up minty used doubles? You can get anything short of Axis or higher-end DW for about $200.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/perc/...+304874&page=1

I am not a fan of Musiciansfriend but I thought I would put this link in here for you. Here are a bunch of pedals you can look at get an idea of what you can afford and go to your local drum shop and try them out. It is really important that you play them before you buy them. Also dont go to cheap either...you will regret it. You should be able to get into a good double pedal for just over $250. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post
Hey man how long are you playing??

I've been getting really frustrated lately looking through the videos of "drummers" on youtube...EVERY SINGLE kid with a kit seems to get a free double bass pedal with their brand new purchase.....i mean im 17 and only been playing 2 years...but even i know that if you start off playing and you start with a double peadal youll grow totally dependant on it for your flicks and in any type of music too...

I think every kid investing in a new kit or the likes should be shown the JoJo Mayer clinic video where he plays the "pedal quadruplets" thing....then when they can play triplets with one foot,(AND ONLY THEN!!!),can they buy a double bass pedal...

I know i sound like a total gimp...but i really think its become a fad thats going to bring down the drummers of the future....can you imagine one of these kids say 5 years down the line,sitting down to play a gig in front of a crowd,looking at his pedal and going "WHAT?!!ONLY ONE PEDAL?!??!?"....and not being able to do a double or triplet with one foot...

rant end.....

Excellent point! Almost every potential drum student who comes to me asks, "Can you show me how to play double bass drums and a one-handed roll (which is a parlor trick and won't, in and of itself, get you many gigs)?" I tell them if that is all they want to learn, them I am not the teacher for them. I rate some of this stuff as a stick twirling contest. Some of it has a place but the place isn't everywhere in every song!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 AM

My favorite inexpensive pedal is the Pearl PT 122tw.

Although they've been discontinued, stores have them in warehouses so I would recommend them..

Good luck though :D