DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Silver Member

Default hendrix vs. paige

i was just watching some hendrix videos on you tube and noticed the argument of paige vs. hendrix. now i know there are more than just these two but out of these two who do you guys think is the king? personally it depends on my mood i couldn't pick between the two.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 AM

Default Re: hendrix vs. paige

I can't get into a "who's better debate" but I can say that Hendrix was a tad too psychedelic for me.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 AM
nhzoso

Well IMO it is Page easily....I do agree hendrix was a great guitar player to say the least but Jimmy Page was just so much better to me that it is not even a question. I hear alot of Hendrix tunes and they really don't seem to have alot of focus to them, everything just seems to be on the fly and so distorted..I don't know maybe thats what makes most people say he is the greatest but it's just not my cup O' tea.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 AM

I agree with moe.ron it really depends on my mood, it's too tough to say who's better, I love both their work. I do think it's worth noting that Hendrix had a much shorter time to say what he wanted to say though, '66-'70 unless you want to count his time as a backing musician, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Page however had 12 years in Zeppelin alone, and in my opinion there is a definite drop off in his playing starting around '76 or '77, when he really got heavy into the smack. If you want to factor in who was more prolific, I'd have to give an edge to Jimi.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Im goin with Page. I just think he is better, busted out better solos, and played in a better band (not like that really counts much or anything but...).

But i do have to give props to jimmy, he just did things with a guitar most people didnt dream of doing, and if he hadnt started doing, and for his influence, my man Jimmy Probably wouldnt have been as great a player.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Hendrix was great, but Page was AWESOME!! I love Page's style, I prefer it much more than Hendrix's. "Whole Lotta love"....cmon...it don't get better than that!

I swear I didn't have an I in Page's name.....he he he

Last edited by rendezvous_drummer; 11-09-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 AM
nhzoso

Not to nit pick but for the record it's PAGE not PAIGE..carry on... : )
Old 11-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Administrator

i think hendrix was supreme at his niche but paige is incredibly versatile and creative. paige was one of the the most recorded session guitarists in the uk before he joined the yardbirds. he has dabbled very successfuly in nearly every nameable genre (asides from the new ones from the last 20 years).

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM

PAGE...its spelt Jimmy Page!

its all a matter of opinion. for me, i dig the psychedelia big style, although i have to say, Zep did the psychedelia quite hardcore as well. Page was well into his Acid and Owsley, just look at stuff like No Quarter, The Rain Song and Dazed and Confused. so i would say that you cant discount Hendrix cause he was psychedelic, as Zep were as well.

plus i favour Mitch Mitchell over Bonham. (please dont throw stuff at me!, i LOVE Bonham, but its something about Mitch....) so therefore its Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page was a LEARNED musician, did much session work and was highly sought after in the UK for that. so he was more like a muso of the circuit.

Hendrix was out doing the Chitlin circuit for scraps but absorbing all his blues, R & B stylings from palying with some of the best.

very different backgrounds, and have to say, when the experience first started out in London, Page was in the audience and said he stood motionless for more than half the show.
so the man himself recognized what a legendary player Hendrix was, and they exchanged ideas when they jammed together.
Hendrix's first 2 solo albums are amazing. there is a lot of different genres touched on, and dealt with masterfully.
released in the space of a year (Are You Experienced) and (Axis:Bold As Love),
and as someone already mentioned, hendrix only had 3 and a half years to say his piece.

Page was a lot weirder than Hendrix though, his obsession with Joni Mitchell, the Occult and Charles Manson....very strange, as you will have seen on The Song Remains the Same.
My point here is that Page's solos were often more self-indulgent and therefore, in my opinion, not as good. take for example, Heartbreaker. the middle of the song breaks down to silence and then this, wailing, volcanic solo that is immense, but detracts from the strong rhythmical sense of drive that song has.
dont get me wrong, towards the final months of his life, Hendrix got pretty self-indulgent too, but his playing was more coherent i think.

love Zeppelin, love the Experience. the main reason for that is that both bands feature awesome interplay between guitarist and drummer. and the guitarists and drummers in both bands happen to be of the highest caliber.

at the end of the day, when the guitarists in question are THIS good, it comes down to who resonates with your soul more. in my case its easily Hendrix, but i love listening to Zeppelin as well.

Hendrix - 10
Page - 9
Noel Gallagher - 2.5 :P

Peace,
Saif
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Consultant

As a guitar player: Jimi

As a band leader/songwriter: Jimmy
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 PM

Song writing and sound Page.
Originality Hendrix
Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 PM

Although my name clearly represents Page, I'm going with Hendrix on this one. If it wasn't for Jimi, the other Jimmy wouldn't have been as good. I think Page had a wider range, with the mandolins and other things, but when it came down just to guitar, Hendrix would win. Overall, they're bith pretty good. Really good.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Pioneer Member

I've had this discussion with my band members and we came up with the solution that:

For technical and soloing ability it's Page.

For musicailty - things like coming up with riffs/songs playing what the song needs - its all about Hendrix.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Administrator

no ways dude. page outshines jimi in that dept. as well. he wrote far more songs and came up with far more diverse riffs.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
no ways dude. page outshines jimi in that dept. as well. he wrote far more songs and came up with far more diverse riffs.

j
Truth. Page is one of the greatest guitars, and quite possibly, the greatest.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

It's not even a question....Page was far more versatile and musical.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

j
I thought someone might say that. Actually Page ripped off most of his riffs and claimed them as his own. I'm not slagging Zeppelin off, they're one of my favourite bands, but most of their songs are covers or copies if riffs or modified riffs from other songs. Listen to some Bert Jansch stuff most of their stuff is from him as Page was a huge fan, Blackwater Side by Jansch is exactly the same as Black Mountain Side. The riff from Bon-Y-Aur is dirived from another of Jansch's songs. Also John Paul Jones came up with the majority of Zeppelin's riffs, but he didn't get any credit for it, I'm pretty sure Whole Lotta Love and Dazed and Confused where Jones' even though Dazed and Confused was actually dirived from another song.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Jimi Hendrix was an insame guitarist, but I'll have to go with Page on this one, I think he was the greatest gutarist of all time, and he was great at soloing, though Jime Hendrix was definately more of an entertainer, and Page was more of a musician, though Jimmy Page did move around a little, he wasn't a stone up there, the Led Zeppelin Live DVD shows him movin a lot, not as much as Hendrix, and still Jimi Hendrix stil had a microphone to stand in front of, cause remember he sang too.

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 11-10-2006, 02:27 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
I thought someone might say that. Actually Page ripped off most of his riffs and claimed them as his own. I'm not slagging Zeppelin off, they're one of my favourite bands, but most of their songs are covers or copies if riffs or modified riffs from other songs. Listen to some Bert Jansch stuff most of their stuff is from him as Page was a huge fan, Blackwater Side by Jansch is exactly the same as Black Mountain Side. The riff from Bon-Y-Aur is dirived from another of Jansch's songs. Also John Paul Jones came up with the majority of Zeppelin's riffs, but he didn't get any credit for it, I'm pretty sure Whole Lotta Love and Dazed and Confused where Jones' even though Dazed and Confused was actually dirived from another song.

Pretty sure they did alot more songs than that no?? To say he ripped off most of his stuff is incorrect. And to say JPJ came up with the majority of riff's (i guess all the ones that were not ripped off) but did not get the credit is unfounded.. How do you know this? Your pretty sure he came up with them? do you know some facts? Dude I can perfectly understand you having an opinion the Hendrix was better but to totally discredit everything Jimmy did is pretty ignorant.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Hendrix by a country mile; Page developed his own style and cleverly adapted what came before him, but was prone to sloppiness in some performances - his technique was far from consistent; Hendrix was born with genius for the instrument - the texture and colour of his solos far outshone Page.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:00 AM

Default HENDRIX

Page ain't even in the same building with Jimi. Hendrix hands down in writing, soloing, and guitar parts.

Hell - Jeff Beck is better than Pagey!
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Hendrix, no question. Page was clean, but I've never really gotten an emotional reaction from him. I used to listen to LZ, but I don't really any more, but I still listen to a lot of Hendrix.

Sure, Hendrix was distorted and all over the place, but that's the point. He has so much more mojo and soul and BALLS than page that it's disgusting.

Hendrix, no question.

In my humble opinion of course.

www.myspace.com/booksteindrums
www.myspace.com/neverknowsbestisart
Old 11-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
Jimi Hendrix was an insame guitarist, but I'll have to go with Page on this one, I think he was the greatest gutarist of all time

One name: John McLaughlin

he had the passion and downright religious intensity of Hendrix, and also the technical ability and virtuosity of about 30 Jimmy Pages on a good night put together, while also knowing how to write and orchestrate a song just as well as JPJ.

Keeping it on topic: Hendrix. He inspires all sorts of emotions. Jimmy doesn't, and his technique doesn't exactly send my brain into convulsions. He's produced some darn good solos, but it seems that as time went (goes) on he became less reliable to the point where there was nothing new or inspiring about ANY of them, and they fall even more flat the more you listen to them.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Pretty sure they did alot more songs than that no?? To say he ripped off most of his stuff is incorrect. And to say JPJ came up with the majority of riff's (i guess all the ones that were not ripped off) but did not get the credit is unfounded.. How do you know this? Your pretty sure he came up with them? do you know some facts? Dude I can perfectly understand you having an opinion the Hendrix was better but to totally discredit everything Jimmy did is pretty ignorant.
I wasn't discrediting everything Page did, I love Page. My friend told me most of what I said (he thinks Page is better than Hendrix) and he's actually shown me some of the songs that Page got his ideas from, so I trust him. I think I read in a Led Zeppelin biography that John Paul Jones came up with alot of the riffs. I wouldn't say all Led Zeppelin songs are ripped off and I never did, I just said that not all of Led Zeppelin's songs were all from Page's imagination, he took ideas from other people and made them his own.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

I love both guitar players,but for originality Hendrix takes it when he first came on too the scene there was nobody like him,but in page's place he would play beautifully.they both were kinda sloppy live but who wants too see a jukebox I like seeing people mess up once in a great while it just proves that there human and there not faking it unlike milli vanill LOL.

Bonzolead
Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Hendrix,especially with the band of gypsies.Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums.Blew the Experience off the map and let Jimi really stretch out musically.You can tell he was having fun playing his guitar again.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:36 AM

It's very, very close for me, and a year ago I would have chosen Hendrix in a heartbeat. But now I think I'll go with Page. I love his style and I think Mr. Hendrix could get a little too far off the track sometimes, but both were awesome and I take Jimmy Page in a super tough decision.

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac View Post
Page was a lot weirder than Hendrix though, his obsession with Joni Mitchell, the Occult and Charles Manson....very strange, as you will have seen on The Song Remains the Same.
My point here is that Page's solos were often more self-indulgent and therefore, in my opinion, not as good. take for example, Heartbreaker. the middle of the song breaks down to silence and then this, wailing, volcanic solo that is immense, but detracts from the strong rhythmical sense of drive that song has.
dont get me wrong, towards the final months of his life, Hendrix got pretty self-indulgent too, but his playing was more coherent i think.
Just thought I'd mention that Hendrix and Joni Mitchell had sex ("made love")--back in the 60's. Interesting connection between the two? I have always thought that Led's love of Joni may be the driving force behind Robert Plant's singing like a woman... and looking like a woman.

Umm, Hendrix is so far above Jimmy Page and every other guitarist that ever lived it's not even funny. Jimmy Page learned all the blues riffs and played them right back with a little distortion. Hendrix learned them and then played them like they'd sound on Saturn. The guy could control feedback--no other guitarist has had that kind of cache on the guitar.

Last edited by Bossa Nova; 09-02-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

apples and oranges. Both have left an incredible footprint on the history of rock music. Both have been highly imitated, a true sign of greatness and creativity.

My druthers? I would add the question of genius... and there, I think Jimi would sneak a nose ahead of Page
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Tipps View Post
Hendrix,especially with the band of gypsies.Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums.Blew the Experience off the map and let Jimi really stretch out musically.You can tell he was having fun playing his guitar again.
I disagree strongly - I reckon Buddy Miles' solid drumming really tied down Hendrix and didn't let him expand as freely as he would when Mitch was his drummer who was more loose and 'free' than Buddy. Now Billy Cox, Mitch Mitchell and Hendrix - that was the best line up imho.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

j
It's a shame, although Page wrote more songs, nobody really knows since Jimi was only a decade or so in the business before he bit the bullet. God rest his soul.

As far as the debate I don't have an opinion, I thought both were excellent guitarists and I couldn't really compare them.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

I'd go as far as to say Hendrix no contest. Paige is astounding but he just plain isn't as impressive.

The real battle is between Stevie Ray Vaughn and Hendrix who all need to be compared to Django Reinhardt
Old 09-02-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanedeliac View Post
PAGE...its spelt Jimmy Page!

plus i favour Mitch Mitchell over Bonham. (please dont throw stuff at me!, i LOVE Bonham, but its something about Mitch....) so therefore its Jimi Hendrix

Peace,
Saif
totally agree...maybe not talent wise but i'd rather listen to Mitchell than Bonham

oh and i'd have to choose jimi
Old 09-02-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
It's not even a question....Page was far more versatile and musical.
More musical?

Interesting then that it was Jimi that Gil Evans and Miles Davis were busy developing projects with. That bastardization of Kashmire that Jimmy Page did with Puff Daddy about five years ago wasn't exactly on the level of Beethoven, was it?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
More musical?

Interesting then that it was Jimi that Gil Evans and Miles Davis were busy developing projects with. That bastardization of Kashmire that Jimmy Page did with Puff Daddy about five years ago wasn't exactly on the level of Beethoven, was it?
I agree Page was far more musical and had a wider range of diversity IMO.. That thing with Puff Daddy was purely for money. Sickening I agree.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Pioneer Member

No way, Jimi was more musical (this can go on forever) as much as I love Page I think his solos can sometimes be pure guitar shredding wank, but that's not to say they were all like that (stairway anyone?). Besides Jimi had that groove which made him something else. Either way both guitarists were exciting in their own right, I just think that musically Jimi was ahead of Page.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 AM
44Ronin

Out of the two

I would have to say , Terry Kath :D!
Old 09-02-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Tipps View Post
No way man The Experience was faaaaaaaaar greater than The Band of Gypsies, Buddy Miles restricted Hendrix, who else was better at improvising than Mitch??

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks View Post
I disagree strongly - I reckon Buddy Miles' solid drumming really tied down Hendrix and didn't let him expand as freely as he would when Mitch was his drummer who was more loose and 'free' than Buddy. Now Billy Cox, Mitch Mitchell and Hendrix - that was the best line up imho.
Exactly, like foursticks said.

I love both guitarists and both bands, Zepp is my favorite band of all time and Hendrix Experience is an EXTREMELY close second, so thus this is a really hard debate for me... I have literally laid in bed for 3 whole hours trying to decide which was better..

But its like aydee said, apples to oranges... You really can't compare them, because even though they are both categorized as blues rock, they are two completely different players and two completely different sounds... Led Zeppelin is a mucccch more tighter band, even their jams were tight (Listen to Whole Lotta Love and Dazed and Confused on How The West Was Won), their musical goal was to find the pocket and fill it up with nasty bass lines, pounding drumbeats, amazing riffs and lyrics chock full of sexual innuendos. And to whoever said Jimmy Page doesn't put any emotion into them, have you heard Since I've Been Loving You, or any of the heavy blues songs?????? WOW.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience however was about musical freedom, basically every Hendrix song could go from its regular time to a 45 minute jam if he wanted, a great example of that is Spanish Castle Magic, on the record its only a couple of minutes, but at Woodstock they drag it on forever, just enjoying themselves and jammin, Mitch even gets a little solo if I remember correctly...

So what I'm trying to get at is, they were two COMPLETELY different guitarists, each with a different way of playing... There is really no un-biased way to pick just one, for me atleast, so I say, enjoy both!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
...Stevie Ray Vaughan ...
This is where it's really at as far as I'm concerned. Check out him with double trouble; theres' some videos of them here on DW in Chris Layton's page. He was simply amazing.

Out of Hendrix and Page, I think I lean slightly towards Page, but that's driven more by a minute preference of Zeppelin over the Experience.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 AM

I'd say Hendrix. Band of Gypsys is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, particularly the song Power to Love. Page is great to, I just think Hendrix was more creative and all around more enjoyable to listen to.