DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Default A suggestion

Hey,

Everyone knows that this forum has a great wealth of knowledge, it's recognised by pros and beginners alike as the drum forum on the net. I was wondering whether it would be worth holding some sort of forum members Poll on the best gear and perhaps making a feature on the site.

The categories would be like 'best kit for under $500' etcetc. I would like to think that these results would reduce the amount of 'HI IM NEW HERE, I WANT A NEW KIT BUT I DONT WHAT IS BEST. I LIKE TAMA BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THERE DRUMS lol. I WANT TO SPEND ABOUT $300, OK THANKS' type posts.

The only way I can think of it working well would be to have certain members to recieve nominations for each category, who'll then tally and get a top 5 from there which all members can vote on.

I'd quite like something like this on the site, I haven't really thought about it much, so please point any obvious pro's or con's. I apologise if it's already been discussed.

Any opinions?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 AM

Default Re: A suggestion

I think that would be a cool idea. You could do, like, the "Drummerworld Gear of the Year Members' Choice Awards" or something. Is that what you mean?

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

That's a great idea. If this happens and then we find a way to stop the spam (email verification, minimum posts needed before a thread can be started, etc) this place will REALLY kick arse; they're the only 'flaws' I can think of at the moment, and realistically they are both pretty insignificant ones.

Biz
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

yeah that sounds sweet, and would be great source. something to think about:
not everyone should be allowed to vote. only experienced members/drummers (unlike myself) should be able to, because of ther knowledge and skills, and cause some people might vote for things like b8's as their favourite cymbal.

and say if you had "best kit under 500", wat about different countries and prices etc. anyway that'll get figured out if this happens.
sounds sweet though
Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Just keep US dollars as a standard. If you need to convert, check out http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

That'll give you a rough idea, then you can check out local dealers to see more accurate prices. It'd just be a guide/recommendation/advice, remember.

Biz
Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Chip

I think there is too much subjectivity involved in voting for gear, and as Gusty pointed out, we would have people voting for B8s or ZXTs because of their "unprecedented value". Perhaps a decided FAQ or something similar like "What cymbals should I buy?" and topics similar to that. Maybe just a sticky? A section devoted towards gear purchase questions may help a bit.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

My take on the pro's and con's is this: Most people will only have knowledge of what they own, a few more perhaps maybe three to four other sets. That will leave things unhelpful as too biased. But, your mentioning of "pro's and con's" brings to mind something that is spot on and might work.

I suggest stickys under a review area where there is, for example, simply one for "Pro's of DW Classics" and another titled "Con's of DW classics." To make a post, you have to do like they do at musiciansfriend and give a little background like "I own it," or "I play professionally for five years." If you had that kind of info available, I think it would be beneficial to new drummers like me. Just my two eighth notes worth. Also, not much wrong with this site as it is, though I understnd that you are only trying to make it better with the suggestion ... please do not take offense ... just trying to cover my fanny. LOL Joey
Old 10-29-2006, 10:21 PM
KARL MEMBER

Overall it is a great idea TopCat!! Awesome that I found this thread...

It would be cool to make such a little award on something like drum gear, cymbals etc....nice idea.
hahaha, we could also made a poll like: "What playing of a member here is still in your head and you love."

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
Hey,
f 'HI IM NEW HERE, I WANT A NEW KIT BUT I DONT WHAT IS BEST. I LIKE TAMA BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THERE DRUMS lol. I WANT TO SPEND ABOUT $300, OK THANKS' type posts.
Very good idea. I love your dead-on impression of a new guy asking about a kit, down to the "lol".

Yeah, i'm sure dworld carries enough weight for music123 or musiciansfriend or some drum site to put a buyers guide up for us so that we can rate and compare drumsets on it. Whats more dworld can even make money off of it.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:31 AM
nhzoso

I see what your saying but how would you decide who gets to vote?? Plus no matter what you do people's bias is going to play a huge roll in their answers

To me what makes DW the best drum site on the net is that everyone is equal, whether you have 2 posts or 5000. And if you start separating people and saying this one can vote and this one can't it will really do nothing but split the forum and create animosity. And we all know what happens when some start thinking they are above others here.

I think it's fine the way it is, we really don't get much spam compared to other sites..although maybe the Admin's are just on top of it and I don't see it.

Anyway thats my 2 cents.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:05 AM

I think this is a great idea!

Zildjian Vic Firth Evans Rogers Tama
Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 AM

I think it is a great idea.

I think it would be more effective as a pro's and con's deal, where anyone who is considering buying that item, has at least *some* indication of what they are getting into.

As I am looking to upscale all of my gear this would really weed out what is best for me and my style as opposed to "DW are the best kits"

I think I would be more interested in what people have to say about the cons of equipment.

M@
Old 11-06-2006, 05:49 PM

A good thought, but I don't think there can really be a "best" item for anything. I mean, everyone always has their own taste, and will be looking for a certain sound when they consider what they think is the best. No one person can have tried out every option for any one category anyhow, there's such an incredible array of choices for any drum of cymbal now a days, that trying to go through every make and model of every manufacturer has to be impossible. People also take the severity of sound vs price in different ratios, and there are probably a million different variables that change from one person's thought of "The Best" to anothers. It's all just too subjective and personal. While the basis of the idea is something that I like, because everyone can always use help choosing what to buy, it'd be extremely hard to work out.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
Hey,

Everyone knows that this forum has a great wealth of knowledge, it's recognised by pros and beginners alike as the drum forum on the net. I was wondering whether it would be worth holding some sort of forum members Poll on the best gear and perhaps making a feature on the site.

The categories would be like 'best kit for under $500' etcetc. I would like to think that these results would reduce the amount of 'HI IM NEW HERE, I WANT A NEW KIT BUT I DONT WHAT IS BEST. I LIKE TAMA BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THERE DRUMS lol. I WANT TO SPEND ABOUT $300, OK THANKS' type posts.

The only way I can think of it working well would be to have certain members to recieve nominations for each category, who'll then tally and get a top 5 from there which all members can vote on.

I'd quite like something like this on the site, I haven't really thought about it much, so please point any obvious pro's or con's. I apologise if it's already been discussed.

Any opinions?
Excellent idea. To vote on this, I think someone should have posted at least 50 times, so as to show at least some level of knowledge and commitment to understanding drumming discussion.

Instead of/in addition to voting, I think it would be good to have several categories: Low-end sets and mid-level sets and low-end and mid-level cymbals. Anybody looking at a high-end set probably knows their stuff and doesn't need this kind of advice. People who actually use this low-end and mid-level gear could discuss their thoughts, as well as people who had them and then graduated to a high-level or custom set.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 PM

A great idea HOWEVER,how can one judge somethings greatness,sure by votes i know but people are prone to influence from others. In the end it is always down to personal preference,hell if someone thinks B8s are better than A customs ther perogative (not me though :P ). Just saying is all,but fair enough a voters majority opinion could be pretty good
Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
A great idea HOWEVER,how can one judge somethings greatness,sure by votes i know but people are prone to influence from others. In the end it is always down to personal preference,hell if someone thinks B8s are better than A customs ther perogative (not me though :P ). Just saying is all,but fair enough a voters majority opinion could be pretty good
There's nothing wrong with voting from personal preference. The salesman and the manufacturer are going to give you their speil because they want to make a sale. The nice thing about this place is you can talk to people who aren't trying to sell you anything and who have actually used the product, although personal pride sometimes may get in the way of objective advice.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 11-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Yeah thats a good idea.. but you should have to have atleast 500 posts to vote... so you dont have people that dont know what they are talking about voting.

You are awesome topcat

Myspace-Add me!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
Yeah thats a good idea.. but you should have to have atleast 500 posts to vote... so you dont have people that dont know what they are talking about voting.

You are awesome topcat
good idea but 500? if Billy Cobham got on this site and he had only 1 post i think he would know what he's talking about.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 PM

i think its agreat idea!!Like,i guess,lots of other members on here,i'm always interested in what other experienced drummers think about different kits and gear.
will be helpfull for people looking to upgrade 'like myself',usually majority rules..For me anyway..lol..

Great idea Topcat...
Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Yeah thats a good idea that would help lots of members decide on gear, instead of having "What ride cymbal should i get" threads with 5 pages of Zildjian Vs. Sabian arguments.

You would have to have email and text vrifications, and maybe a minimum of 50 posts to vote. Something like that to keep spammers out.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

That's a great idea. It would really cut down on superfluous threads. I find it difficult to choose between kits and cymbals. One person might say kit A is better than kit B but another person might say kit B is better than kit A. One thing we should say is one vote for each "section" so that people don't vote 50 times to make sure their favorite kit or cymbal is top.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Hey,

Any opinions?
YES! Great idea, i am a bit of a one for that sort of post :P

I have seen polls like Aquarian superkick or Evans EMAD before on other forums and they are very useful.

I like drummerchick's idea of one vote per thread system for the polls, i dont think that would be too difficult.

LONG LIVE DRUMMERWORLD!
Old 12-25-2006, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

I think this would be a great idea. But i would like to morph it a bit.
What if we made it a review segment where we can give our thoughts and opinions.
We could split products by company, price range and such.

Pointless or repeated reviews could be deleted and the ones that have good thoughts can stay.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:03 AM

i like it. it would serve almost as a buyers guide i guess.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

50 posts or 500 posts, you really can't make that the difference. someone could have 500 hundred posts of " Great drums Dude!.....what's the specs on the cymbals?"
and someone could have 50 posts of important,knowledgable,useful imformation.

If it is going to be forum members rating these kits, it should just be a section on the home page for "rate your gear here" and when it opens it should have section for different companies such as in alfabetical order Grestch, Ludwig,Mapex,Pearl,Tama, Yamaha.
And then sectioned would be entry level, mid level,proline. Maybe include a price range.

I don't know but there would have to be a lot of stuff to cover it would be a hard system to come up with to not leave anything out. And be sides there is such a wealth of info in the drum gear section......63,000 posts. Thats everybodies input on every different piece of equipment. I think thats the fun of this site. What would we talk about if not drum gear?

What you really need to do is teach noobies how to use the search button. If anbody has a Question about ANYTHING, it's already on this site somewhere.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM

Hi

I think this is a brilliant suggestion. For some one like myself who knows about the top kits and cymbals but can't afford to buy them, it would prove to be a very useful review area so we can aspire to better and greater things. As for only giving the more experienced players the say is a delicate area. I have been playing on and mostly off for 25 years but due to been committed to my family I can only afford the cheap end of the market. I have a 9 shell Stagg kit with mostly Stagg cymbals, I would love to have a top make kit like DW, Tamma, Yamaha and an nice set of zildjian cymbals. The points here are I still get to play and that it is all too easy to become elitist and ignore the smaller names. Stagg can produce some great sounding cymbals for the fraction of the price of Sabian or Zildjian. It would be interesting to see how equipment used by Buddy Rich in the early 40's would compare to todays modern standards. After all it comes down to two things. What you can afford and your own personal sound.Don't stop playing because you haven't got the top equipment, real ability will always show.
After almost pouring cold water on the idea I still say Yes do it but keep in mind us small poor people how have virtually no money (and in my case no ability) who just play for the love and passion of playing.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 PM

Great suggestion TopCat, but on the issue of who decides on the voters, why not leave that up the moderators and Bernhard. Their around this site enough to know who can give reliable and reasonable information. I think this would useful and interesting to anyone, even non-members. There should just be a resume submission page that people can request to be allowed to vote. I think that the only downside is then threads such as "Who decided to vote Zildjian the best cymbal makers?" would arise, and that's not fun. Great idea the only difficulty may be moderation and the cooperation of each member.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Very good idea, but i think that the voting process might take too long if people included every brand of cymbals and then the different types of cymbals in those brands etc. and the same with drumsets and gear, maybe times not a problem and we could put a buyers guide together next christmas, but not just time in the actual polling session but putting it together. Bernhard might get a little tired after 20 or so hours searching for random low priced sets to put in the poll. im with timebandit when i say that thats what the drum gear section is for (only allow people with 50 posts or more to post in there, because with 7,000 threads and 9 times that amount of posts, everythings been talked about)
im not trying to be negative, and dont get me wrong, i love this idea, but if we could get a place somewhere where we can broadcast the feelings we've had on products for a long time. and maybe its a great way to get noobies to stop stupid topics.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Wow, lots of replies and suggestions.

Great work guys.

Bernhard, Jason, DB..Any opinions?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Yes.

Great thoughts, and we love the concern and input from our members. Unfortunately the chance of something like this happening is very slim.

We don't claim to be All Things Possible in the Universe Drum Related, but we do have places where people can read and contribute to conversations about everything discussed here. There's a reason why we don't have yet another Flash kit configurator or our own version of Prof. Sound's Drum Tuning Bible: they already exist somewhere else and they are easy to find. That's the same reason we don't have a Buyers Guide. We have sections where members can show off and ask for comments about their own equipment, sections for discussions about every possible piece of equipment, Sticky posts and Archives of great threads, and links to great articles about this very subject.

And of course, if someone is interested in buying a kit, they can (hopefully first) search for an existing thread on the subject or they can start a new one. If you are afraid that you'll get bad or useless advice ("Taht brand suXorz LOL") then consider the source. Yes, there are plenty of threads that basically ask the same question over and over, and so far they have been responded to with helpful advice. Let's keep it up.