DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-15-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Tre' Cool

I am fourteen years old and yes I do like a lot of the new punk stuff but I do know what is the right thing to listen to. I was raised on; The who, Zeppelin, ELP,YES, and my favorite band THE CLASH. And I can play evrey song off American Idiot (great CD) and I will admit he is no Buddy Rich (who is?) but he does have tallent. So what if Green Day are sell outs now, you cant take that away from him.

(I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium and I was not amused. It was all little kids with there soccar momes who only heard of Green Day because Wake me Up when Sept. Ends was over played. (espicly in the NYC were i live)
Old 11-15-2005, 02:34 AM

I think Green Day is changing back into there old school stuff which would be a hard thing to do but I heard in an interview that Billy Joe is planning on doing another Dookie alike album they said they just wanted to try american idiot out and see where it would go from there ofcourse it's a big change but until then we will just see how there next album goes.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoncallingbronxNYC
I am fourteen years old and yes I do like a lot of the new punk stuff but I do know what is the right thing to listen to. I was raised on; The who, Zeppelin, ELP,YES, and my favorite band THE CLASH. And I can play evrey song off American Idiot (great CD) and I will admit he is no Buddy Rich (who is?) but he does have tallent. So what if Green Day are sell outs now, you cant take that away from him.

(I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium and I was not amused. It was all little kids with there soccar momes who only heard of Green Day because Wake me Up when Sept. Ends was over played. (espicly in the NYC were i live)
i think you have the right attitude towards tre cool, but maybe not the kids. they have to start with some song. we all start somewhere.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanlaing
i think you have the right attitude towards tre cool, but maybe not the kids. they have to start with some song. we all start somewhere.
I agree. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a big fan until I bought American Idiot. Though it wasn't my first album.

And I don't really think they're going to be "going back" anywhere. After American Idiot, they can only go forward, and I'm pretty sure they know that as well as anyone does. Like it or not, they're growing - musically, personally - and once you've started to grow, it's ridiculous to try to come back to something you've passed.

And Tré is one crazy guy. First of all, he said rock drumming needs to be brought back to Keith Moon, which is excellent (and apparent in his playing style). Secondly, if you've ever read a biographical article about the guy, he's done and said some pretty wacky things to his body and in his life, and at 32 (almost 33), I don't think he's going to stop that anytime soon. As a drummer, and as a rock star, I see him as being something you're not going to see twice.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawNotadrummer
I agree. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a big fan until I bought American Idiot. Though it wasn't my first album.

And I don't really think they're going to be "going back" anywhere. After American Idiot, they can only go forward, and I'm pretty sure they know that as well as anyone does. Like it or not, they're growing - musically, personally - and once you've started to grow, it's ridiculous to try to come back to something you've passed.

And Tré is one crazy guy. First of all, he said rock drumming needs to be brought back to Keith Moon, which is excellent (and apparent in his playing style). Secondly, if you've ever read a biographical article about the guy, he's done and said some pretty wacky things to his body and in his life, and at 32 (almost 33), I don't think he's going to stop that anytime soon. As a drummer, and as a rock star, I see him as being something you're not going to see twice.
Well I know there not keeping there additional band members and there not wearing that make up anymore so there next album is just going to have 3 of them on it. See if they do another album like american Idiot well it would probably be boring and the same as the other one. American Idiot was something new they've got a lot of new fans but lost many old fans Billie Joe knows that Since he started in the underground Punk sceen he wants to go oldschool Green Day and if there next album is like Dookie I'm buying it.

Tre Cool is a crazy guy he did courses in clown college he's like a clown when he's on stage! I use to watch Green Day videos and say wow I wish I could play like Tre Cool Then I learn't about other drummers even though I'm not looking to play what Tre Cool does He made me want to play Drums
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

I like green day, but not american idiot. only good song is jesus of saburbia. Tre cool, in my opinion is a pretty good drummer, but its mainly speed that makes him sound good.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I like his drumming, he has great taste for fills.. and the songs doesnt sound the same..
He has a pretty cool style, always smiling and making faces..
Old 11-25-2005, 06:30 PM

haha every one bashes travis because hes so good he gets overated but you never hear Tre Cool only billy joe so no one bashes him lol!
Old 11-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Tre Cool is one of the main drummers I idolize. He is just so cool. Went to a Green Day show, and he is such a beast and still loves drumming, not just the money. He is always pumped for a show, always hyper, my type of guy!

My Kit
Old 11-27-2005, 05:19 AM

Tre' is alright. He can play some good stuff, and some bad stuff. In my standards, hes cool.

Will
Old 11-29-2005, 06:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Ok, just got the copy of the new "Bible In A Bullet" DVD by Greenday.
Verdict: Tre' is an amazing drummer. I suggest all you naysayers get a copy and watch.
What a great "show" drummer. His chops and intricate fills come across so good in this DVD concert. He has a style unique to him. Try copying those chops with the same energy and flair!
One thing the man does, is put the drummer in the forefront of the action.
How many times have we complained that the guitarists and singers get all the attention.
The man is a great drummer, and more importantly great for the drumming community.
"Nuff said!
Phil
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Administrator

good post and i agree. i want to see that dvd. i model my live drumming after him quite extensively, him and kieth moon. give 'em a show. that's what i say.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Pioneer Member

You have to take into consideration the fact that Green Day probably doesn't have as much control over the writing process as they used to. Therefore, it's not fair to judge him based on what you're hearing on their latest album. If you want to know whether or not the man can play, just listen to Dookie.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

I wouldn't say he was a bad drummer i would just say that Greenday are too popular and they are possibly the most repetitive band on the planet thats why i don't like them and he does play the same beats a lot of the time but like people are saying, he does what he is needed and sometimes there is complexity (since that is the only thing people tend to care about). A lot of their stuff sounds too much the same!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 PM

That's why I like Tre so much he has so much energy on stage and he's always making funny faces He always get's the attention and he's amazing live. At the end of the concert he will either Burn a kit, Throw it around or run it over that's just crazy I'd love to do that on stage if I had over a dozen kits and my own signature kit!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 PM

I dunno why ya r all going on bout how simple it is n everything... coz man if i got sponsered and paid and stuff for doing simple rhythms hell i'd be over the moon.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Tre' Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammaster
but YES he is being endorsed just because he has got lucky to get in a popular band, there are loats of drummers with similar skill lvl and even better but they just ain't popular.
Are you kidding me?

He didn't get LUCKY to be in a popular band. Those guys have worked their asses off to get so popular. If you think popularity just gets thrown to you, you better think again. You should always respect people (like Green Day) who have worked hard to reach this level.

I'm not saying Tré is the world's best drummer, but his style fits their music so well. And that's all that matters.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Tre' Cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
we cover basket case and american idiot and i must say his drumming is loads of fun to play. i tend to pull his facial expressions which i find helps with the general greenday madness sound.

j

lol, i do too, i dont know why, but it does help to play his sticking
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 AM

Many of you have said how can he be such a great drummer when all of his rhythms are so simple etc. But in my opinion, complex rhythms and portnoy style drumming does not make for a good drummer. A good drummer is one who can use simple rhythms but place them well in the song, drive the track along, and of course add a little comic relief to the band. Tre is one of the best drummers out there at the moment. Not just because of Green Day but because he's just a legend in his own right. He came from nothing and look where he is today. He Rocks!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Senior Administrator

i agree. put it like this:
i would rather watch tre in concert than portnoy and i would rather watch portnoy in clinic than tre.
j
ps: it is as unlikely that mr cool will bring out an instructional dvd as portnoy will stop making them, lol.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 PM

I think Tre is a pretty good drummer, not the best out there, but still good for Green Day's genre, I really like his work in Homecoming and St. Jimmy.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:44 AM

I deff think that Tre cool is a great drummer. It doesnt matter if he can pull of the amazing fill or just keep time. Whatever he does has obviously made Green day popular. Alot of people say they could play his drum parts and i bet they could. But the question is could you have created those parts? For example, chances are if most people heard the song American idiot without the drum part i think most people would have played it differently and left out his bass drum on everybeat during the verse. These little, simple rythems during the song fit perfectly and make there songs catchy and easy to remeber.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Pioneer Member

worse still, they might have kept playing a beat in the bass drum parts. i think you're right in that most drummers wouldn't have the guts just to play the bass drum beats, they would want to show off.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
Alright, this is a drummers thread, and i don't want to argue but discuss this guys talent factor. I mean, how is he such a great drummer? I am wondering this because i can see what he plays is all so simple, and if he is sponsered why not you, or any other drummer that can belt out 1 and 3 on bass drum, 2 and 4 snare, with eighth note highats. He's sponsered cause he is in a popular band. And he's a "great" because he's in a popular band. if someone could prove me wrong i'd like to hear.
Thanks
P.S, don't get mad at me if you like him, i totaly respect if you like the band, and love what he does.
Peace

Tré Cool page on DrummerWorld
he's been drumming since he was 3 yrs.old! (but he started professional at 12)
no offense but don't you think if someone was drumming for so long that they would be able to play more diffuclt things?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:37 AM

I agree.

You shouldn't judge someone simply on what he plays in a band.

If he's been playing for that long, i'd guess he has some skills too :)
Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 PM

One of the better Drummers out there.
Just watching him on stage is amazing, he makes himself seen on stage, in a way that not many other drummers can.
Some of the stuff he says off stage has me in stiches aswell.
Simple as.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_trecool1972
he's been drumming since he was 3 yrs.old! (but he started professional at 12)
no offense but don't you think if someone was drumming for so long that they would be able to play more diffuclt things?
Sure, you would think that, but have you ever heard him play anything difficult. I listen to Vinnie Colaiuta and Im like man that was awesome and hes doing polyrhythms and paradiddles over triplets and crazy stuff all over the place (on his side project stuff) but Ive never heard Tre Cool do anything like that. Sure his playing fits the music, but lets hear him do something else. I never have, but maybe I just havent heard him play on anything but Green Day. And lets be realistic, does anyone really think he deserved all those Drummies from DRUM!? I didnt.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Pioneer Member

i watched bullet in the bible, and at one point tre and mike have a nice little jazz thing goin on. tre is very tasteful at this section, but it is by no means just 1 and 3 on bass with 2 and 4 on snare. tre can play, you better beleive it. it doesn't matter if you can play what he can play, cos he can do it without thinking.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i watched bullet in the bible, and at one point tre and mike have a nice little jazz thing goin on. tre is very tasteful at this section, but it is by no means just 1 and 3 on bass with 2 and 4 on snare. tre can play, you better beleive it. it doesn't matter if you can play what he can play, cos he can do it without thinking.
Huh? How do you know?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Pioneer Member

i can read minds!
no, but he doesn't seem to concentrate on what he's doing at all on stage. i at least have to look at my drums sometimes. my point was that it seems as easy to him as the simplest beat, no mattter what speed he's moving at. sorry, i came off kinda pretentious in my last post.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Sure, you would think that, but have you ever heard him play anything difficult. I listen to Vinnie Colaiuta and Im like man that was awesome and hes doing polyrhythms and paradiddles over triplets and crazy stuff all over the place (on his side project stuff) but Ive never heard Tre Cool do anything like that. Sure his playing fits the music, but lets hear him do something else. I never have, but maybe I just havent heard him play on anything but Green Day. And lets be realistic, does anyone really think he deserved all those Drummies from DRUM!? I didnt.
Actually, yeah, i think he deserves it. He is an inspiration for lots of young (and older) drummers out there.

And you shouldn't underestimate finding drums that fit the music. His drums are part of what make Green Day a great band.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Pioneer Member

i think you hit the nail on the head there. tre cool was a huge inspiration for me as a younger drummer.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 PM

his drumming skills are not great, but he is like the bon jovi drummer, the stuff he does is simple, and it sounds good, he makes simple stuff sound good, because of this you can not argue about how good he is, i have not seen him at his best. to prove my point i looked at american idiot (song not album) he uses some magnificent sounding fills which are so simple. but the size of him helps, he drums so quickly, despite having a poor technique. this is because of his giant muscles!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM

i think hes definetly the best punk drummr in the history of punk/grundge. and the way he plays the drums may look simple but the way he plays them and the simple notes he uses makes them sound awezhome
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummkidz
i think hes definetly the best punk drummr in the history of punk/grundge. and the way he plays the drums may look simple but the way he plays them and the simple notes he uses makes them sound awezhome
Wow there...i wouldn't say that he's the best punk drummer ever :)

In terms of making interesting beats, Travis Barker tops him, and i know other punkrockdrummers that also top him.

But in terms of finding the best drum parts to go with the rest of the music, yeah, he's pretty good in that. But then again, he mostly plays a simple hihat/snare/bass beat, and that's bound to go along with everything :)
Old 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Pioneer Member

i think if i were the drummer for green day, i might do less fills. does anyone else think the same? i'm interested to see what different people would do with the music.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
i think if i were the drummer for green day, i might do less fills. does anyone else think the same? i'm interested to see what different people would do with the music.
I'd do less of the same fills.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't change a thing :)
Old 02-01-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib

Tre has a lot of Fan Worship, so he gets way too much credit. His playing is solid and fits the music, but he won't be blowing away the Modern Drummer Festivals anytime soon.
He obviously had to work to get fan worship..it's not like he got it over night, hes been playin in green day for many years and people obviously like him because he's music fits in the genre, and still sound amazing, i mean if you compare other bands to green day, you'll see that there not trying to overshadowed each other like some other punk/rock bands do (no names here), i think Tré deserves the credit he gets cause he did work for it!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_trecool1972
He obviously had to work to get fan worship..it's not like he got it over night, hes been playin in green day for many years and people obviously like him because he's music fits in the genre, and still sound amazing, i mean if you compare other bands to green day, you'll see that there not trying to overshadowed each other like some other punk/rock bands do (no names here), i think Tré deserves the credit he gets cause he did work for it!
I agree with you 100%. I would mention though that most of his fan base was not built on his playing ability. That isn't how pop-music works. The best musicians are never the most popular.

Even though I have seen ZERO progression in his playing from Dookie to American Idiot, I still like Green Day and love his drum sound and parts. I think he plays the same fill too much, but his playing other than that is killer sounding!