DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 PM

Default More ensemble related info

Hey,

Today I was thinking about how much Drummerwold has taught me over the years, but one thing I find lacking in Drummerwold is tips and info on how to play with other people. I mean I have definitely learned a lot of cool licks and techniques here in Drummerworld, but learning how to jam and compose songs accompanying other instruments was something I had to learn on my own. I think if there was more on the types of accenting rhythm changes in a song, dynamics in a song, who to listen to when, etc would be great for all those aspiring drummers out there looking to learn so much from this website. I think we can agree that drumming isn't just about the coolest sounding groove you can find but how to help the rest of the band express themselves.

Thanks,
Jose Contreras
Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: More ensemble related info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saks_27 View Post
Hey,

Today I was thinking about how much Drummerwold has taught me over the years, but one thing I find lacking in Drummerwold is tips and info on how to play with other people. I mean I have definitely learned a lot of cool licks and techniques here in Drummerworld, but learning how to jam and compose songs accompanying other instruments was something I had to learn on my own. I think if there was more on the types of accenting rhythm changes in a song, dynamics in a song, who to listen to when, etc would be great for all those aspiring drummers out there looking to learn so much from this website. I think we can agree that drumming isn't just about the coolest sounding groove you can find but how to help the rest of the band express themselves.

Thanks,
Jose Contreras
You've only just clicked into the best section of the site, the forum. You should find more than enough in the forum if you search for it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM

true i've never really checked out the forum.

thanks man
Old 02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Here's a tip on how to play with other people...Relax, and listen hard to the others, and try to feel where the beat wants to be rather than "thinking" solely about your part. A driving analogy would be to look as far ahead as possible, instead of looking just past the hood.

I find that visually focusing on a point at least 10 feet away from the drums and straight ahead gives me the big aural picture. Oh you say your eyes are closed? Bad move. Open them up and look and listen, heck, smell where the beat wants to be. Use more of your powers to listen than you do to play.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Here's a tip on how to play with other people...Relax, and listen hard to the others, and try to feel where the beat wants to be rather than "thinking" solely about your part. A driving analogy would be to look as far ahead as possible, instead of looking just past the hood.

I find that visually focusing on a point at least 10 feet away from the drums and straight ahead gives me the big aural picture. Oh you say your eyes are closed? Bad move. Open them up and look and listen, heck, smell where the beat wants to be. Use more of your powers to listen than you do to play.
Larry, that post pretty well summarises the approach you've advocated here for some time. It's brilliant.

Not quite sure about the eyes closed thing. I love closing my eyes and disappearing into Music Land. But you also advocate detaching somewhat, not "getting in to" the music so much so you can make sure that the nuts and bolts of your playing are tidy, and that you can see where everyone's at, as well as connecting with the listeners and dancers. If I remember correctly, you said the idea is to sacrifice a little of your buzz so as to give more of a buzz to listeners/dancers.

Damn, I still love closing my eyes at certain times - lol - I see a case for compromise. A bit of give and a bit of take maybe?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks Polly for the kind words. It works for me. When your part is ingrained in your head, and the band doesn't change things up, ie the song is "frozen" then closing the eyes is not AS detrimental, (I still try and not do it at all though).

But anytime you're learning a song, or onstage (the audience likes to see your eyes, my opinion) or if someone is "sitting in", or if your soloist is stretching it out...I highly recommend eyes and brain open, focusing on the soloist or singer, (and the audience from time to time) and keeping everyone else in your peripherial vision field. I listen good with my eyes closed, but when they're open, there's so much more information to use to adjust your performance, like little visual dynamic cues that musicians make (for instance a guitarist crouching down a bit for a softer passage, you'd miss it if your eyes are closed)

And yes I have to detach almost all the way. It's the best thing for my playing. The minute I "get into it" I'm off track and I lose my connectiveness with the entire situation. It's really easy to retreat inside yourself, and it feels great, but the playback tells me not to do that. I like to "oversee" everything as a whole, this takes some detachment, for me anyway. Somebody has to keep their head about them, after all it's me who's driving the bus. Let the soloists have the spotlight, support them with your playing, they will like you better if you're not "competing" with them for attention.

When any musician turns around to look at me for whatever reason, I like to already "be there" before them. I've seen guitarists try and get the drummers attention when the drummer is in his own head and you can see that the guitarist is mentally going...wake up stupid..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Well I mean I'd say I'm pretty good at coping with other instruments. What I always did as a kid was to turn on the radio and play to every song even if they didn't have drums. I think that made me able to put drums on anything.

I was thinking more on a theory level.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

it's good that you play along to music a lot, but playing with real musicians is different. what you do affects them and what they do affects you. in a band it's not like you're "playing along" to the other musicians, you are part of the music making team and like larry was saying you have to listen and watch very carefully and be ready to adjust what you're doing based on what others are doing.