DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Jeff Sipe

If you have not heard of Jeff Sipe, you will. He is an extremely powerful and musical drummer. He is now playing with Trey Anastasio from Phish. On top of being a great player is he was one of the most down to earth musicians I have ever met.

Let me know what you guys think of him. Check out his Myspace site and listen to "1st movement". it is a long song butmake sure you list to the whole thing because he doing some pretty intense stuff toward the end.

http://www.myspace.com/jeffsipeakaaptq258

J
Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Jeff Sipe

FINALLY...someone who knows about this cat...animal recue unit, jazz is dead...he's an incredible player, especially on "weather report suite" from JID's "laughing water." one of my new favorites.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:44 AM

also doesn't he go by the handle of apt. q-258 or something like that? i'll check out you-tube.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:55 AM

sorry,i see he is...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Jeff Sipe- Most Under Rated

He has played with a bunch of folks. His timing is sick. I know he done some touring with Rod Morganstien. I have never seen them play together but have talked to some guy who has and he told me that they were awsome. I am surprised others have not heard of him.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:47 PM

I think I know this guy's sister, Katie. She told me she had a brother that played in some high profile bands. Is Jeff from Dallas?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:07 PM

I have seen this guy live with Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane and he is awesome.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:45 AM

i remember reading where rod said (about sipe) not ever hearing so much sound out of a small set. i believe he plays just a 4-piece kit, is that correct?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:02 AM

I've been following Apt. Q since '92 with Aquarium Rescue Unit. The guy is an absolute monster! Get the first ARU album - Live at the Georgia Theatre. I think i's the most representative of his playing. I'm fortunate to have some Hellborg, Lane, Sipe shows that also abundantly showcase his talent.

His chops are unbelievable - his playing makes you want to jump out of your skin. He can groove the hell out of a pocket but unleash him on a fast pace shuffle and look out. He'll take your f*^ckin head off. He's the first drummer I listened to where I said, this guy can't top what he just played, and he does, again and again.

I can't believe Jeff hasn't had more coverage for his drumming - just a two page feature in Modern Drummer about 4-5 years ago. He's played with a lot of quality jam bands: ARU, Leftover Salmon, Jazz is Dead, and now Trey Anastasio. TREY!! He totally deserves this gig. And he totally deserves his own page on Drummersworld.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:31 PM

I couldn't agree more. Folks who are not listening to him are missing out on learning and being inspired. I am fortunate enough to live close to Jeff and I have taken a few lessons from him. I fairly new to really studying the drums and he has opened my eyes to so much more about playing drums than I what I knew in the past. I am blown away that he does not have a spot on this site.

J.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:56 AM

that must be a hoot...taking lessons from him... is he a a pretty loose cat with a warped sense of humor?
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 AM

The dude is super laid back and very humble. He is big on time and playing with a metronome at 40bpm. Some of the exercises he has me doing give me a headache. He is also big on 3,5,7,9,11s....... single stroke roles.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM

I see you all know of Jeff Sipe. I'm studying with him at the moment. He's just short of flawless (ok, he's flawless). His time scaling technique and ability to use the metronome musicially (instead of a tool) is eye-opening. I soloed with him (4-bar phrasing, and on down)...best experience I've had with another drummer. He's wicked sick on kit. And his kit ranges from a 4-piece to 6-piece setup...but, he was AMAZING on just a snare, kick, and floor tom...He definitely needs to be on this site...what stands out with Jeff is his creative timing...I never had more fun with someone who was able to groove on the "ands" while I played the standard "Perdie" shuffle.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 AM

i'd have to agree with JRH7...Jeff is the MOST laid back, great professional drummer I've ever met and extremely humble...makes it so much more of a learning experience when someone with so much talent shares something mind-boggling with you...Jeff has changed the way I look at complex timing...it's amazing how more musical you get when things are so much easier to pocket...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Glad to see that someone else studies with him. I haven't had the time to take a lesson from Jeff in about 3 months but I can't wait to catch up with him. I will tell you that I am almost afraid to take another lesson with him until I get more comfortable playing with the click on the "e" and "a". Are you a local player in Asheville? I am pretty much new to playing compared to a majority of folks in here and I am still learning my way around the kit. Jeff has definelty opened my eyes to a whole different concept on groove.

Here is link to his site for those of you who do not know this guy:
http://www.jeffsipe.org/J.
http://www.myspace.com/jeffsipeakaaptq258

Last edited by JRH7; 03-10-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Add website
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM

he certainly needs to be on this site. hopefully the owner will put him here.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 PM

Know his music for a while, especially with Jonas Hellborg. He was here in Calcutta in 2006, playing at the Congo Square Jazz Fest
Old 03-11-2007, 11:29 PM

JRH7, I live in south Asheville (about 30 minutes from Jeff). I play locally, but I am only doing session work at the moment (because of college). I'm working on some audition material for touring in the summer. Jeff really has helped me zone in and attack the complex timing material. When we soloed and shared phrases, it really helped me to lock in and be creative. If there's anything Jeff's good at teaching, it's the fact that the metronome is his top priority in both technical and notational studies as a musical instrument all of its own. And, oh man, I love his approach to inverted paradiddle combinations...he's really, honestly, influenced my own teaching...what can I say, the guy's sick!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Small world. I live in Haw Creek over in East, Asheville. Before I took lesson from Jeff I had no idea how much can be played on drums. I also had no I idea how long of a road I have a head of me. Shoot me an e-mail if you play out some time soon and I see if I can catch a show.

wilro@charter.net
Old 11-23-2007, 01:14 AM

i was fortunate enough to play a couple shows with Jeff. one where he and the Count played percussion with me on drums, talk about intimidating, and one where my improv band opened for his band APT Complex. both were amazing experiences. the way i described his playing the night i opened for him was "liquid".