DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Check out Virgil

I can only take Virgil Donati in small doses. He's an incredible drummer, no doubt, but his playing bores me pretty quickly. He's a little too non-musical for me.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
I can only take Virgil Donati in small doses. He's an incredible drummer, no doubt, but his playing bores me pretty quickly. He's a little too non-musical for me.
Yeah that was a pretty monotonous solo after awhile.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Pioneer Member

That one is from the 2005 NAMM show in the Pearl Booth.

This one http://www.youtube.com/w/virgil-dona...irgil%20donati

It's a short clip from NAMM 2006. The sound quality is not that great, but still very much worth watching. Sky-Toms in full effect for the crowd at the show. While I agree they can be a bit "gimmicky", he finds very creative ways to use them.

For those not into the solo aspect of drumming, he does lead the band in with a nice groove to end.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 AM

He is not musical enough, I mean he is not musical the way I LIKE IT! Does he not know that there is only one way too express one's musicality? I wish he would tone it down a bit. And his technique is too pristine. Wish he was a little sloppier and less fluid. His chops are too blistering and over the top wish his playing wish they were a little more pedestrian. His independence is too advanced and complex wish he was more elementary and unoriginal. His feet are too stinking developed, COME ON! Message too Virgil, you are too good can you please suck a little more so we can feel better about ourselves. We wish we were 1/10 as good as you. We got nothing better to do than trash you for being a Pioneer in the drumming world for arguably pushing the technical and creative boundaries farther ahead than any other drummer of the last 10 to 12 years even guy's like Lang, Marco, Chambers, Mangini, Phillips etc. have said as much, and for drawing HUGE crowds at NAMM and wherever you go.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:09 AM

I liked it.
Thanks for sharing it.

Will.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:12 AM

VIRGIL IS GOD!!!!!! yeah its like........hes jus so good! lol I swear give it ten years and all the drummers out there are going to sound like machines lol.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:32 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloEy
VIRGIL IS GOD!!!!!! yeah its like........hes jus so good! lol I swear give it ten years and all the drummers out there are going to sound like machines lol.
Yay.

don'tbashringodon'tbashringo
Old 02-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Stu_Strib

Well after checking out some more stuff to investigate the possibilities to why people might bash this guy, here is my conclusion.

I think he plays too much like Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Vinnie C. et.al, but not as well. I think he should make his own niche and be a monster ROCK player and cut back on the fusiony stuff that (just my opinion) he doesn't pull off very well.

He strikes me as one of Steve Smith's better students, and not a peer. I liked some stuff I saw with him jamming with his band better!

And yes he is way better than me, but for the 427th time, what does that matter???? We are talking about Virgil Donati here, not Stu Strib. I would gladly take lessons from Virgil, and I would have no qualms telling him I think he sounds a bit like a student of Steve Smith instead of a genuinely unique drummer. He might punch me, but oh well ;-)

Sorry, I'm trying to be Simon Cowell-esque here with some sort of witty analogy, but that's all I got.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just at the moment received a picture from Alex Solca - photographer for Modern Drummer.

Hope you like it too...

Bernhard
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 PM

That is a first. Virgil sounds like Steve Smith and Dave Weckl. In 12 years of listening to Virg that is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that he even remotely sounds like those guys. Virgil absolutely has his own sound and it is nothing close to those guys WOW!! And lets just say that he wont be needing to take lessons from Weckl or Smith any time soon. No actually it is Dave Weckl that has said that Virgil is SO GOOD! that he cannot imagine the time and discipline to develop his technique and chops.

And hey Floey and Finnihgans or whatever lets hear your playing. Come on let hear your contributions to the music world. I got an idea go knock on the doors of Steve Weingart, Brett Garsed, Bunny Brunel, Tony Mac, Mitch Forman, Tom Kennedy, or Allan Holdsworth and on and on and show them how terrific you are as players and not just windbags sucking on sour grapes and maybe they might want to record an album with you or go down to the Potato and Jam, since you are all that. You might even get to charge people 20 bucks a pop since you are that good. You guys are nothing but blowhards. What you play with your local jazz band, I am impressed. Or know do not tell me you actually got some guys together to record an album. The locals really like your playing GREAT! I am really impressed now. AH you have read many books on what a REAL drummer is, I see lots of head knowledge. It hurts to know you will never have the stature of certain artists that you like to put down.

I got one next time PASIC rolls around and Virg is playing to a thousand people, walk up grab the microphone and say, "hey everyone do not waste your time with this guy he is pathetic, I am hear to show you what real drumming is all about and then you can actually show Virg how to really play musically. And you might want to ask Steve Smith or Vinnie or Weckl or Chambers or Lang why they are sitting in the crowd wasting their time watching Virg. You might want to enlighten them. Then you might ask why PASIC did not invite you to play before a thousand people. Or you might just want to "kill them softly with your amazing words of wisdom and insight. I am sure they will enjoy the comedy routine.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Well, the circle of life.......the way of every Virgil or Thomas Thread on every Drumforum in the world: first praising, then discussing, then bashing, then trashing, then deleting and then wining and then restarting....

I can't say, if the glass is half empty or half full, but the clock goes to 12 high noon soon.

But after the deleting the whole thread: A new thread will start with again more brighter shining arguments.....what a waste of practice time...

Ahh, and Aidan: Critics have the right to critizice.....it's their job - don't ask them to drum.
And great Drummers: you NEVER hear a bad word from them, they are not critics and they don't do it either.

Bernhard
Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
That is a first. Virgil sounds like Steve Smith and Dave Weckl. In 12 years of listening to Virg that is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that he even remotely sounds like those guys. Virgil absolutely has his own sound and it is nothing close to those guys WOW!! And lets just say that he wont be needing to take lessons from Weckl or Smith any time soon. No actually it is Dave Weckl that has said that Virgil is SO GOOD! that he cannot imagine the time and discipline to develop his technique and chops.

And hey Floey and Finnihgans or whatever lets hear your playing. Come on let hear your contributions to the music world. I got an idea go knock on the doors of Steve Weingart, Brett Garsed, Bunny Brunel, Tony Mac, Mitch Forman, Tom Kennedy, or Allan Holdsworth and on and on and show them how terrific you are as players and not just windbags sucking on sour grapes and maybe they might want to record an album with you or go down to the Potato and Jam, since you are all that. You might even get to charge people 20 bucks a pop since you are that good. You guys are nothing but blowhards. What you play with your local jazz band, I am impressed. Or know do not tell me you actually got some guys together to record an album. The locals really like your playing GREAT! I am really impressed now. AH you have read many books on what a REAL drummer is, I see lots of head knowledge. It hurts to know you will never have the stature of certain artists that you like to put down.

I got one next time PASIC rolls around and Virg is playing to a thousand people, walk up grab the microphone and say, "hey everyone do not waste your time with this guy he is pathetic, I am hear to show you what real drumming is all about and then you can actually show Virg how to really play musically. And you might want to ask Steve Smith or Vinnie or Weckl or Chambers or Lang why they are sitting in the crowd wasting their time watching Virg. You might want to enlighten them. Then you might ask why PASIC did not invite you to play before a thousand people. Or you might just want to "kill them softly with your amazing words of wisdom and insight. I am sure they will enjoy the comedy routine.
whoa there dude, think before you type. if anything i was complimenting virgil, his playing is inhuman and i happen to be a fan. I dont know what your problem is but please take it out somewhere else.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I got one next time PASIC rolls around and Virg is playing to a thousand people, walk up grab the microphone and say, "hey everyone do not waste your time with this guy he is pathetic
I never saw anyone calling him pathetic.

This is a public forum and people will have thier opinions about things that you may not like, no point in being an arse about it though.

I am not a great fan of Virgil Donati but I admire his immense talent, I think thats pretty much the feeling of a few people on these forums.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Floey my bad. But it sure is hard to take " give it ten years and every drummer will sound like a machine LOL" as a compliment. I have read this statement a thousand times about different drummers and it has never been in a good light. But I have no right to not take your word as truth, I apologize. I do not apologize to the others that have used this and other forums to trash certain drummers repeatedly. Do we not have better things to do than repeatedly tear down other drummers who have accomplished far more than most ever will. Not once will you find me trashing another drummer even If I do not necessarily enjoy their playing. We all like who we like why go around openly ripping apart others. It honestly seems like some get a kick out of doing this. Why do it? What does it accomplish? It comes across as just foolish banter by people who seem to get a morbid joy by constantly critisizing others. Virg, Lang, Marco among others they are constantly getting crap by others who obviously are not a fraction of the drummer and musician that the aforementioned are. And the "Oh I am just giving my honest opinion, is that not the reason forums exist" statement got old ten years ago. Sharing ones thought in respectful manner is one thing but taking constant jabs at someone like a broken record player is too obvious to what the intent really is.

I apologize Bernhard for reacting to certain "critics" repeatedly foolish comments. It is your board and I need to respect your wishes, no matter how hard it is not to respond to the kind of crap that constantly comes up.

And Bernhard your statements are VERY true about the truly Great drummers having better things to do than put down other musicians.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Pioneer Member

There is a fine line between what one person interprets as putting someone down. You started trashing people who you know nothing about because they do not agree with you.

If you dont like someones opinion say so but dont say stuff along the lines of

Quote:
You guys are nothing but blowhards. What you play with your local jazz band, I am impressed. Or know do not tell me you actually got some guys together to record an album. The locals really like your playing GREAT! I am really impressed now. AH you have read many books on what a REAL drummer is, I see lots of head knowledge. It hurts to know you will never have the stature of certain artists that you like to put down.
Because you are doing exactly what you are protesting against.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Virgil Donati

I definately agree with the Adam's post (the opening statement). Virgil Donati has such skill, such a sense of his drum set that he seems almost the ideal drummer. He has some of the fastest double bassing I've heard (and I listen to a lot of thrash, death, and speed metal), and he has an amzing sense of rhythm. I don't know if he is known for use of odd time signatures, but his drum parts are amazing. I think he is probaly the most skilled drummer of all genres.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM

I also saw live at astoria, and can agree that Donati plays an insane solo at the end. I think he is the perfect complimentary part for Steve Vai. I consider Donati a drum virtuoso, just as Vai is a guitar virtuoso.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
I apologize Bernhard for reacting to certain "critics" repeatedly foolish comments. It is your board and I need to respect your wishes, no matter how hard it is not to respond to the kind of crap that constantly comes up.

And Bernhard your statements are VERY true about the truly Great drummers having better things to do than put down other musicians.
Calling someone else's opinion "crap" because you disagree with them is just silly. And I think that what Bernhard may have been saying is that you should have better things to do than to put other drummers down. Stating an opinion is fine, but calling people blowhards and putting down their gigs isn't helpful or welcome here.

/2 cents
Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound
There is a fine line between what one person interprets as putting someone down. You started trashing people who you know nothing about because they do not agree with you.

If you dont like someones opinion say so but dont say stuff along the lines of

Because you are doing exactly what you are protesting against.
Well said Titan!

Do you think pros sit around worrying about getting put down on a forum? Music is art and art is subjective and opinoins are like bum holes - everyones got one!

We can never please everyone and I think any publicity is good publicity. If someone said I was crap (and I'm sure they have) that meant they had to at least listened to me and that gives me even more determination to be better not only as a musician but as a person.

Coz
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
That is a first. Virgil sounds like Steve Smith and Dave Weckl. In 12 years of listening to Virg that is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that he even remotely sounds like those guys.

Evidently you didnt' listen to the video that started this thread then ;-)

And for the 4,278TH time, what does Finnhiggin's playing ability have to do with the topic at hand?

Look, I was just exploring the reasons behind the phenomena of mass Virgil Donati "distaste". I don't think anyone here is saying anything bad about him. He definitely has a better unique sound on other clips that I've found SINCE this one.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Ahh, and Aidan: Critics have the right to critizice.....it's their job - don't ask them to drum.
And great Drummers: you NEVER hear a bad word from them, they are not critics and they don't do it either.
Well, it's a nice idea. But the most savage things I've ever heard anybody say about Virgil came from a guy with a page here on Drummerworld, so I must admit that doesn't reflect my experience.

As for Aidan, mate... you can't even figure out when somebody is on your side of an argument, how do you expect to win it? As for my playing, go rummage over in the "Your Playing" forum if you feel the urge. Nothing overly special, but since when has that devalued an opinion? Or do you have to be Steven Spielberg to say that Ewe Boll is a lousy director?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Well, it's a nice idea. But the most savage things I've ever heard anybody say about Virgil came from a guy with a page here on Drummerworld, so I must admit that doesn't reflect my experience.
Ok, the exception confirms the rule - as we say in Switzerland....

Bernhard
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Right, a guy, out of the hundreds featured on DrummerWorld. So I guess maybe that does prove the point?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:16 PM

DogBreath I hear what you are saying, but if I am a blowhard for getting tired of guys repeatedly putting down others drumming contributions than so be it. I happen to know that others here STRONGLY agree with me. Did I put down someones gig or ability NO!! I made the point that guys get on here and say well I have a gig and play drums or read a book about this or that or talked to someone about this drummer therefore I have a right to trash others who have accomplished far more than those who do the trashing, which I do not agree with. A blowhard in my opinion is someone always talking themselves up whether it is their ability or knowledge of what is real music and their narrow point of view on what REAL drumming is and is not and constantly putting others abilities or contributions down, which happens here quite abit. Again I have not trashed anyone about their drumming at all but get tired of a forum being used as a sledgehammer against certain drummers. Again I find it very bizarre that no names in the drumming and music world(not that you have to be WELL known to be a good drummer) are the ones who the MAJORITY of the time are tearing someone else down who has the resume and the ability behind them.

Yeah I did check out your stuff Finn lets just leave it at that.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Right, a guy, out of the hundreds featured on DrummerWorld. So I guess maybe that does prove the point?
Or not - not being in the habit of regularly talking to most of the guys on here I wouldn't know. What can I say? Too small a sample size to draw conclusions, seeing as I've only met a couple of the people on here.

On the other hand, I do remember quite clearly that all of my teachers at music school definitely had opinions as to what they liked and disliked in drumming, and weren't afraid to share them if the topic came up. I remember one teacher I had a lot of respect for making it quite clear he was no fan of Chad Smith. Fair enough - it wasn't his thing, and I don't think it would bother Chad any to know that some random British drummer doesn't think he's the best thing since Tony Williams. Equally, while I disagreed on the subject, somebody thinking that Chad Smith is not particularly worthy of respect as a drummer doesn't dimish my enjoyment of what he's done. Or there's Joe Morris' comment over on another thread about Mike Portnoy. Clearly Joe is not a fan there - that's his opinion and he's entirely entitled to it, even if he can't sit down and bash out the latest Dream Theater album without a moment of thought on the subject.

So I guess my take is... If you enjoy Virgil Donati's playing... all power to you! But he clearly is a player who is a cause of some contention, and it's clearly not because he's (objectively) amazingly awesome and people are just bitter on him - most people expressing a distaste for Virgil tend to have an alternative they'd suggest. Personally on the listening front I'd rather listen to Marco Minneman or Grant Collins because I do, generally, find their playing a bit more shaped, structured and musical. That's just taste, it's not because I can play as well as either of them so I'm somehow not jealous of their chops anymore. I guess my issue here is that it seems like you're allowed to have taste in drummers as long as you don't dislike Virgil Donati, or his little self-appointed Internet Minions will come out and lambast you for your arrogance. Not addressing moderation here, just the likes of Aidan.

I'd die to have Virgil's chops. He's done an amazing thing in building them, and I'm as happy as the next guy to stand around in sheer amazement if we're going to have a technical discussion of the mechanics of what he's doing. But personally, I really can't stand what he does musically, either solo or in a band. But it seems like somehow my right to a musical opinion is entirely negated by the amount of time Virgil has spent polishing his single stroke roll? I don't get that. Slipknot have clearly put a fair bit of time into their music, but that doesn't mean that saying "I really can't stand Slipknot" is off-limits for anybody. Ultimately, nobody gets into music unless they're comfortable with somebody saying "Hey, you guys really suck!". If you're that thin-skinned you tend to get out of the industry pretty fast.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Senior Administrator

well i'm a blow hard and i think virgil has incredible chops, can groove but is not my cup of tea by a very long shot.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
well i'm a blow hard and i think virgil has incredible chops, can groove but is not my cup of tea by a very long shot.

j
That is the most poignant post ever. I second the sentiment.

I'm with Finn too. This is a discussion thread about good/bad/ugly/nice/different, whatever. If all we ever do is say nice things for things that people post that are really bad, then this would be a dull web site.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Just for the record, I had taken a whole "2 lessons" from Virgil Donati when I lived in Melbourne, Australia, (where I grew up) some 15 years ago way before Virgil became the mega star drummer he is today. He is a very talented and gifted drummer..............and deserves to be up there with all the greats !
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 PM

Hats off to you Nutha Jason, you proved that someone can give praise where it is due and yet at the same time say someone is not neccessarily your cup of tea without making someone look or sound bad, BIG hand clap.

Aidan
Old 02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Well after checking out some more stuff to investigate the possibilities to why people might bash this guy, here is my conclusion.

I think he plays too much like Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Vinnie C. et.al, but not as well. I think he should make his own niche and be a monster ROCK player and cut back on the fusiony stuff that (just my opinion) he doesn't pull off very well.

Wow, I've never heard anyone say Virgil sounds like Smith, Weckl, or Vinne. Stu, are you sure you've been listening to Virgil Donati?

And what drummer featured on drummerworld said something "savage" about Virgil? This is news to me.

To add, I can't can't get enough of Virgil. I'm most interested by him at this moment in time, and have been obsessed for about 2 years. I'm either listening to him, Carey, Weckl, or Gadd alot this past month. I go on monthly swings, when I'm obsessed with a certain style/s.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm amazed.

Finn, You would Rather listen to Grant Collins? OMG!

Don't get the wrong impression. I've looked into what Collins is going for sometime now. My honest opinion. I'm left totally empty. I boared to peices that I can't watch it. You would have to chain me to the chair to get me to sit for more than 5 mintues to watch him. While his technique and ostinato building are extreamly impressive (espeicially his footwork and independence), I'm not feeling anything in his playing. I don't know, I'm just astounded that you are into him.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
And what drummer featured on drummerworld said something "savage" about Virgil? This is news to me.
Nothing public, this was in conversation. I'd rather not name names if that's OK, because it would involve dragging somebody else into the public eye for comments they made privately. If you don't want to take my word for it that's also fine, I wasn't looking for validation with an appeal to authority - merely pointing out that my personal experience was not that all pro drummers are sort of like Buddhist monks, all serenity and light and completely free of negative opinions of each other.

After all, Bill Bruford is a fantastic drummer and not exactly subtle about his dislike for the hyper-choppy approach and those who practice it.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:11 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
I'm amazed.

Finn, You would Rather listen to Grant Collins? OMG!

Don't get the wrong impression. I've looked into what Collins is going for sometime now. My honest opinion. I'm left totally empty. I boared to peices that I can't watch it. You would have to chain me to the chair to get me to sit for more than 5 mintues to watch him. While his technique and ostinato building are extreamly impressive (espeicially his footwork and independence), I'm not feeling anything in his playing. I don't know, I'm just astounded that you are into him.
I must admit I've not watched a vast amount of his stuff, but the things I've seen have left me extremely impressed. Not so much by the chops - once he lets the singles fly over the ostinatos I tend to agree with you, it does go a bit empty. But some of the stuff he constructs is really quite clever. I saw one piece called "The Battle" or something similar that you would swear was a traditional Chinese percussion piece performed by a very large ensemble - it had authentic tones, rhythms and structure, all coming out of one guy on a drum kit. I was quite impressed because even though he was playing stuff in multiple voices it all made a whole lot of sense musically, both as a whole and with each piece isolated. It also seemed to have been very well researched, which is always impressive in a musician trying something in an alien style.

Donati doesn't do that for me when I watch his ostinato stuff in multiple meters. I just keep hearing numbers, not parts... if you see what I mean.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:28 PM

Here is my 2 cents, I love Grant for his independence and creativity but his technique is far from being real clean and consistent with both his feet and hands and his chops well they really do not do much for me, not horribly impressive. Grant and this is just me speaking comes across as more of a percussionist playing drums at times than a traditional drummer behind the kit but that is just my opinion. Grant is pretty darn original, props to him for that.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 PM

Default Virgil Donati rules! and will rule for ever!

i think virgil donati is the best drummer and will be for a long time... his double stroke pedal is just amazing! he can be as fast as he can! he has no boundaries , there is non higher! NON HIGHER!! "after all this time i feel i have only scratched the surface" virgil donati...
Old 02-08-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I guess my issue here is that it seems like you're allowed to have taste in drummers as long as you don't dislike Virgil Donati, or his little self-appointed Internet Minions will come out and lambast you for your arrogance.
It is my guess that one makes comments like this to inflame reponse. It is comments like these whereby one loses some crediblity with me. It is comments like these that one gets accused of arrogance. I guess my issue here is that it seems like you're allowed to have taste in drummers as long as you agree that Virgil cannot groove.( Does thinking so mean I couldn't possibly know what groove is? or be able to recognize it in other drummers?) I enjoy all the debate here until there are comments like these that tend to imply one's opinion is superior over anothers. All the intellectualizing done here will not change my view about Virgil or any other drummer. It is great reading, entertaining and I respect it greatly but.... if we all keep the comments on target and not against each other this thread may have a chance of not being closed.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 PM

I believe that the material on which most of Virgil's critics judge him, is limited to progressive/rock material from his -so far- 10 years living in the US or internet videos.

He's done tons of studio pop rock and jazz recordings in Australia, and believe me, I 've had friends guessing "Gadd?", "Marotta?", "Laboriel?" when I've played some of the older stuff of Virgils. He entered the Australian studioscene in the mid- late '70s -most people have no clue about this...
I've got about 45 or so -records with him. He can groove. Believe me.

Last edited by Morgenthaler; 02-09-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Administrator

i got to believe this. a guy like virgil has miles of studio tape with his drumming on. very few of us can claim to know the full length of virgil's career. judging any drummer must shurely involve at least looking at half of his/her whole recorded material and virgil's is huge and obscure. what he does these days is so far off the envelope that it doesn't sit nicely in my ear but i have to believe that he can hold down a four on the floor should the song call for it. lol...imagine him covering an AC/DCsong. (that said, i learned more about drumming from phil rudd than i ever learned from virgil)

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 AM

The problem is most guys are not willing to take the time and spend the money to check out certain guys catalog whether it is Virg or others. I can guarantee as Morgenthaler said Virg has done ALOT of studio work for MANY years now and some of it would throw people for a loop. I guess he got the call to record tracks for the Alfie soundtrack because he cannot groove and adapt to any musical situation. If I remember correctly that soundtrack was the farthest thing from extreme progressive/fusion. But as some do know he can do pretty much(not everything under the sun) whatever he wants VERY well. As Simon Phillips said after working with Virg in the studio, " along with being the most technically amazing drummer I have ever seen,this guy can adapt to any situation in the studio and he can do it quickly and with ease."
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Hats off to you Nutha Jason, you proved that someone can give praise where it is due and yet at the same time say someone is not neccessarily your cup of tea without making someone look or sound bad, BIG hand clap.

Aidan
Yes, but SOMEONE will get all offended and call him stupid, just watch. Nutha, it doesn't take too much to determine a guy's drum style, when HE himself is the one who chose to play THAT solo on THAT video. Sure he has other skills and abilities, but after about 5 videos of the same type of pseudo-fusiony chops riddled stuff, I think we get the point ;-)

And Finn, that whole post about keeping your source secret was great! After all your posts, I was surprised to find you have wit ;-)

So far none of my points have been cheap shots trying to tear down Donati. I've simply tried to state what people could possibly not like about his playing. I don't think anyone is saying he id overrated in the Travis Barker/Joey Jordison vein. For many drummers, it's just a matter of taste, or the perception of the lack thereof.

It's actually all the posts that start with "Virgil is the best drummer ever...look at his double pedal speed...blah blah" that most of us disagree with, and that does kind of a disservice to Virgil.