DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-05-2014, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Neil Peart Borrows Max Roach?

I've read that Neil Peart has incorporated Max Roach's "The Drum Also Waltzes" into his drum solos during Rush concerts (he apparently first heard the Roach solo via a Bill Bruford performance of it).

I was just giving Roach's "Drums Unlimited" a re-listen, and Peart's famous ride cymbal intro to "YYZ" bears quite a resemblance to Roach's hi-hat intro "Drums Unlimited."
Old 11-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Neil Peart Borrows Max Roach?

John Bonham would often borrow "The Drum Also Waltzes" to start his solo live

... and I would absolutely hate to hear Neil quote Max..... cringe worthy I'm sure
Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, Peart say he borrows heavily from Roach.

Although the intro to YYZ is straight up morse code.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

... and I would absolutely hate to hear Neil quote Max..... cringe worthy I'm sure
Right there with ya. As much as I admire him, there have been many cringe worthy moments already.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

On the plus side, when Neil incorporates The Drum Also Waltzes into his solo, he doesn't really try to make it jazz, he just uses the 3/4 ostinato to solo over.

On the negative side, I read or heard in an interview that when Neil told Max Roach he borrowed from that piece, Max wasn't too happy about it, lol.

I'm a Peart fan, by the way. I just don't think EVERYTHING he does is golden. I don't fault him for trying to stretch, though, even if the result isn't quite what we'd want to hear.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

Of course, on the flip side of that....I wonder what it would look like with Max Roach playing Natural Science, or La Villa.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, just saying, is it realistic to expect these monster drummers to be able to ape each other's style?

Only respect for Max...and Neil
Old 11-06-2014, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

As I Rush fan, I actually agree.

I would prefer if Rush would just play another song rather than yet another 10+ minute drum solo.

Particularly given when Neil does the whole solo over an ostanato thing, it's really just, yeah know, I've seen that before. I mean Terry Bozzio was shredding on that concept over 20 years ago. It's been done! It's not exciting.

Please, Neil, you're awesome at what you do, so stick what makes you awesome, and stop trying to do something that you are just not.

You have some 20 or albums of music to choose from; play an obscure song, a b-side, maybe a lesser played instrumental, or something, and skip the same ole' boring drum solo ideas I've heard 101 times before.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:48 AM
Renegade

Neil's paid his dues, achieved at a high level in his field, and has pleased and inspired many drummers and Rush fans. He's earned to right to do what he likes. There will always be Rush fans who continue to think he has a solar posterior, even if he's pinching Max Roach patterns.

I never begrudged John Wetton playing in Asia either - he had played so much quality prog without great financial reward while others less deserving played the game and made their bundle. Can't blame John for wanting a piece.

For Neil it goes the other way. He already has the fame and fortune. So now he's looking to try different things. Makes sense to me.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Excellent! Logic and pragmatism. I fully agree....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Neil's paid his dues, achieved at a high level in his field, and has pleased and inspired many drummers and Rush fans. He's earned to right to do what he likes. There will always be Rush fans who continue to think he has a solar posterior, even if he's pinching Max Roach patterns.

I never begrudged John Wetton playing in Asia either - he had played so much quality prog without great financial reward while others less deserving played the game and made their bundle. Can't blame John for wanting a piece.

For Neil it goes the other way. He already has the fame and fortune. So now he's looking to try different things. Makes sense to me.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You have some 20 or albums of music to choose from; play an obscure song, a b-side, maybe a lesser played instrumental, or something, and skip the same ole' boring drum solo ideas I've heard 101 times before.
I'm a huge Bonham fan, but to be fair, Moby Dick didn't vary much over 10 years of Zep either. Excessive solos are not my thing at all. My guess is some drummers know the crowd expects *that* solo. They play it for the crowd. Perhaps Peart holds to that motive.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Interestingly, on the last tour Neil ditched the longer solo and did three shorter pieces. I much preferred that format, myself. I haven't really been a fan of drum solos more than a few bars long since I was in junior high school, lol.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

As much as I admire, respect and love Neil Peart's drumming....and I do....I will also admit I've never been a fan of his or any drum solo spot....leak, smoke, another beer; hopefully back to seat before next song.

I enjoy his drumming in the context of the songs....even as a teen when I never imagined playing drums I would be listening to ATWAS and air drumming. The power and ferocity. Great stuff man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Interestingly, on the last tour Neil ditched the longer solo and did three shorter pieces. I much preferred that format, myself. I haven't really been a fan of drum solos more than a few bars long since I was in junior high school, lol.