DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ironwood drum set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
That's kind of you and you are a decent person.

And you did ask a legitimate question - this seems to be an exotic wood and was it sustainably taken? I have asked similar questions of others here. We should always consider the environmental impact of our instruments. Sure, instruments account for a tiny fraction of wood used worldwide, but each citizen of Earth needs to consider the impact of their consumption.
Thank you - so many people on forums like to hold grudges and start arguments purely because on the Internet they can remain anonymous, but Id rather not...

Thanks for your advice on my kit thread by the way,

Peace

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Senior Consultant

I am seriously considering getting at least a snare to start and possibly a kit for the studio. I heard the clips on the site and was impressed. The drums sound incredible when recorded flat with no effects. Serious stuff.

Now to choose a snare size....

I think it's gonna be either 6.5" x 14" or 6.5" x 13".

Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I am seriously considering getting at least a snare to start and possibly a kit for the studio. I heard the clips on the site and was impressed. The drums sound incredible when recorded flat with no effects. Serious stuff.

Now to choose a snare size....

I think it's gonna be either 6.5" x 14" or 6.5" x 13".

Any suggestions?
I'm very happy with my 13 by 4 snare, as the 13 inch size gives great focus and snap and it's very sensitive at 4 inches.

If I had to do it over again, I would go with the 13 by 6.5 snare, though. I would like a little more throat from the snare. An ironwood shell gives so much sensitivity that I know a 6.5-inch-deep snare will still be incredibly sensitive, even though it's almost two-thirds deeper than a 4-incher.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Update on kit:

In my never-ending quest to streamline and reduce my hardware, I did this following mod. I removed one of the legs from the DW ride stand (I play open handed, ride on left). I got one of those two-legged DW 5000 hats and removed the legs, clamping it to the "gimp" tripod. The foot plate of the hihat stand locks into place, so it serves as the missing leg of the tripod. So, instead of having up to six leg contact points, I have just two. This frees up room for another foot percussion pedal.

Setup minus cymbals. I put Velcro on the stands and clamp jaws, showing correct location during setup and preventing scratching. Two clamps ensure rock-solid support.

As installed in set. Stand leg placement gives plenty of room for foot pedals.

Close-up. I figure I saved a fair amount of bulk and about six pounds in hardware weight with the mod - which I of course immediately gained back with the second foot percussion pedal. The only downside is that setup is a bit trickier, as a two-leg cymbal stand doesn't stand up very well!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 AM

Cool idea. Your pedal setup looks great.

I notice that your talking drum pedal isn't in any of the pictures. Are you not using it anymore?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

A great idea! How did you actually remove the legs? Did you have to give them the good ol' hack-saw treatment?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That guy is playing the biggest thermometer I have ever seen.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sitar players scare me.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Very beautiful set, never heard of it before, do you have any videos with it in action, I would love to hear it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraponline View Post
Cool idea. Your pedal setup looks great.

I notice that your talking drum pedal isn't in any of the pictures. Are you not using it anymore?
I converted the talking drum to hand percussion use - see the mod at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23501, page two. I may still use it in the drum set, but right now I have four pedals to keep track of and that's plenty.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Wow, what genre do you do?? I am just wondering why there is a sitar player there lol.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
A great idea! How did you actually remove the legs? Did you have to give them the good ol' hack-saw treatment?
No. I used a Dremel to grind down the rivets in the hinges. I could put the legs back on if I ever needed. I would just need to get some bolts, washers and lock nuts.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus1989 View Post
Wow, what genre do you do?? I am just wondering why there is a sitar player there lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumbum View Post
Very beautiful set, never heard of it before, do you have any videos with it in action, I would love to hear it.
I do original word fusion music. Check out our band at www.terrasonus.com. So we have the sitar player and other unusual instruments.

Unfortunately, the sound samples on our Web site were recorded in April 2006 and I didn't have the ironwood set playable until September 2006, so I have no recordings of the ironwood set. But getting some recording with it is a priority, as soon as the band scrapes enough dough together to go back to the studio. In the meantime, you can hear sound samples at www.spiritdrums.com.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM

I really like that kit. I checked into the Talkit mechanical talking drum and.... WOW it's gonna take me a long time to save that much. However, I think I'm gonna start now, because it's intriguing, and I can envision a whole lot of uses.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

Nice website, great music and a beautiful kit. I would love to hear it sometime.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drovja View Post
I really like that kit. I checked into the Talkit mechanical talking drum and.... WOW it's gonna take me a long time to save that much. However, I think I'm gonna start now, because it's intriguing, and I can envision a whole lot of uses.
The Talkit (www.b-radpercussion.com) is an amazing drum and very expressive. I've modified the rim for hand percussion playing with two congas, which is how I mainly use it. He has a six-inch model that costs less and you might want to check that out.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 PM

So beautiful DMC, and innovative with all your special touches. The idea of fusing the hat stand with the cymbal stand is brilliant.
I suppose shipping from Australia cost practically as much as the kit? LOL
Did it you take you awhile to develop the technique to play the Duellist?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM

Nice looking kit.... another great Australian made kit :) How would they compare to Brady I wonder? Anyone know?

I thought about Spirit drums before I got my DW deal a few years ago, but someone was telling me the shells are very heavy to lift.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au View Post
Nice looking kit.... another great Australian made kit :) How would they compare to Brady I wonder? Anyone know?

I thought about Spirit drums before I got my DW deal a few years ago, but someone was telling me the shells are very heavy to lift.
Different animals. Jarrah ply drums won't sound as meaty and full as the Spirits. They'll also weigh about 1/8 of what the Spirits weigh. Solid shells will be heavy, especially when the timber they're made of is so dense it sinks.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Different animals. Jarrah ply drums won't sound as meaty and full as the Spirits. They'll also weigh about 1/8 of what the Spirits weigh. Solid shells will be heavy, especially when the timber they're made of is so dense it sinks.
Just what I was going to say. Bradys are fine drums and they even make a few solid shell snares. Ironwood is indeed heavy, with a specific gravity of 1.2 (1.2 times as heavy as water, which is why it sinks) and the shells are a half-inch thick. Maple has a SG of about .50 and that no doubt gets lower when made into plies with glue. So a half-inch-thick solid-shell ironwood drum should weigh about three times a half-inch-thick maple ply shell. I know I get three times the sound out of my Spirits.

I get used to the weight - I need to lose weight more than my drums! My Spirits sound like big drums and weigh as much as big drums, but they are the size of small drums.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au View Post

HAHA! about the Australian kit. People don't know what to make of it and it sounds even more exotic coming from Australia.

I justed wanted to say I checked out your site and it's really inspiring. What a neat career you have made for yourself! I have known people with cerebral palsy and I could never have thought someone could play an instrument with such an obstacle. I guess anything is possible if someone is determined enough.

Behind a drum set, we all look the same.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks mate, havent made a lot of money out of it, but I do this stuff cos I love playing drums.

Anyone can do something if they persevere with it long enough :)

Cheers

Andy
Old 10-03-2007, 02:18 AM

These are awesome drums. I have had this theory for a while about making drum but never had the tools for the execution.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theberzh View Post
These are awesome drums. I have had this theory for a while about making drum but never had the tools for the execution.
Thanks. While this is an unusual way to make drums nowadays, the solid shell is actually the most ancient way of making a drum. Modern machinery makes it easier, but it's still difficult. You'd have to get entire whole logs, cut them and have special lathing machinery to finish them off. There are a few companies doing it.

Even non-drummers can tell these drums are unusual. They have a primitive, wild look about them and a primitive, wild sound. Even the badges are branded on.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have radically restructured the set. I have been looking to shake up the set, as I think it's good to do that every few years at least. I have always liked the look of flat drums and low cymbals. This way of playing is taking some adjustment, but it not inherently any harder or easier than playing with angled drums, just different. I took a two-way level to the drums to make sure they are perfectly level.

I'd like comments on the appearance of the set. I have relatively few stands, as I like an uncluttered floor, but I use a lot of Dog Bones and Puppy Bones to pile all the cymbals on, so I have more hardware higher up. I have the same complement of cymbals as before, with the addition of a six-inch LP ice bell between the ride and 8-inch splash.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

I presume you're quite a tall chap? That would be far too much a reach for myself.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

I'd be angling those toms in a little personally, they seem a little too awkward to play due to their height above the snare and the lack of angle. Different strokes for different folks I guess
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have radically restructured the set. I have been looking to shake up the set, as I think it's good to do that every few years at least. I have always liked the look of flat drums and low cymbals. This way of playing is taking some adjustment, but it not inherently any harder or easier than playing with angled drums, just different. I took a two-way level to the drums to make sure they are perfectly level.

I'd like comments on the appearance of the set. I have relatively few stands, as I like an uncluttered floor, but I use a lot of Dog Bones and Puppy Bones to pile all the cymbals on, so I have more hardware higher up. I have the same complement of cymbals as before, with the addition of a six-inch LP ice bell between the ride and 8-inch splash.

The photos were at the end of the third page so I am reposting them here.

Ozzy, you are right in that it is taking some adjustment. If it winds up being too much to cope with, I will go back to angling them. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to shake up my approach to the drum set - people will strip down to a four-piece, for example, or rearrange their cymbals.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Right now I might have to just come across the pond and steal those drums. Unfortunately they'd probably weigh down my car too much and damage the suspension. What can I say that hasn't already been said? I like the idea of the new arrangement a lot; definitely worth shaking up your approach once in a while.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Hey, I know what you mean by shaking things up a bit. I've only just started using my floor tom again; that brings the kit I'm playing up to a 3 piece with hats, ride and a cowbell. Gotta have the cowbell. Have you thought about putting that percussion 'tree' you rigged up next to your kit, maybe on the left side?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Looks pretty cool. Personally with a setup like that I'd raise the snare and hi-hat and just play it standing, like a giant cocktail kit.

Also what is hanging from Tom 3? Is it a setlist?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 AM
Gold Member

That looks cool but horridly uncomfortable. No height difference between floors and racks, I find once I start to pivot my body the natural pull is for my body to move downwards.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Gold Member

DMC,
So how does it feel playing the kit this way? I love your set-up of 3-up toms, but I would definitely have to have the floor sitting at a more traditional height. Still, your kit is one of my favorites that I would love to play on this forum.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 11-14-2007, 07:16 PM

hello
i think it's a nice kit
but don't you think that the tom's must become more youre way
your can allmost playing it will you are standing
but it is an nice kit

greets, derk
Old 11-28-2007, 02:08 AM

W.O.W.

That, my friend, is the most amazing drum set ever. And the most costly too! Considering the prices (whether monetary or amount of trouble you underwent to get it) of the pedal-powered talking drum, the hang drum, the dualist, the ironwood set, etc. must be a very lucky (or rich, lol) guy!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
That, my friend, is the most amazing drum set ever. And the most costly too! Considering the prices (whether monetary or amount of trouble you underwent to get it) of the pedal-powered talking drum, the hang drum, the dualist, the ironwood set, etc. must be a very lucky (or rich, lol) guy!
Some people spend money on sex, drugs, rock&roll, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, cars, bikes, gambling, trips etc. and some people (like me) lead a boring and inexpensive life...

...but own a frickin' nice drum kit!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Some people spend money on sex, drugs, rock&roll, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, cars, bikes, gambling, trips etc. and some people (like me) lead a boring and inexpensive life...

...but own a frickin' nice drum kit!
Hey I resemble that comment too except for only one i'll make it a few LOL!.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

How come I missed this kit. That is an aesthetic statement , DMC. Do they sound as good as they look?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
How come I missed this kit. That is an aesthetic statement , DMC. Do they sound as good as they look?
I love the sound, but I love the sound of deep drums. They have a rich, strong, authoritative sound (even though the are petite sizes) but they're not suitable for all genres. Listen to sound samples at www.spiritdrums.com.

To really appreciate the beauty of the wood you need to take them into the sun or strong lighting. They've got figuring similar to bubinga.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
W.O.W.

It hasn't been cheap or easy, but I've been collecting instruments for more than 20 years. I wonder what I'll be playing in another 20 - gives you something to look forward to as you age. I don't lead a very extravagant life otherwise. I think Wavelength summed it up well.