DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Graeme Edge

Just had to post him. One of my favorite drummers from one of my all-time favorite bands. The Moody Blues have been together since He and others founded the original band back in 1964. After 44 years in the same band, He's on a world tour this year. There's something to be said about that dedication and commitment to a band and the staying power of their music. Absolutely amazing in today's world.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Graeme Edge

The Moodies are one of my favorite bands. I miss keyboardist Mike Pinder and producer Tony Clarke a lot though. They were the ones, I believe, who brought the awesome cosmic sound to those late 60s and early 70s albums. Edge is often overlooked for his playing. I think of him in a similar way as Ringo Starr. He plays for the song and plays only what's needed for each particular song. He's written some very good tunes too.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 AM

Graeme is a great musician. He plays for the song beautifully. The "knocking" on the snare in Questions and the way he launches into the groove after that is almost genious! I saw the Moodies last summer. They still play the tunes perfectly and are a very professional bunch of guys (and girls actually xD). It was interesting they had 2 drummers on that tour. The other was this younger guy who played a kit that matched Graeme's, but it was more effects-based. (Such as gong drum, lots of chinas, etc. He was louder in the mix and seemed to power the group mainly. Graeme seemed more laid back and relaxed with his playing. (He even got up to sing and dance to a song while the other guy played drums by himself.)
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Yes his name is Gordon Marshall, a multi instrumental guy who contributes a lot to the band's live shows. What a great gig that must be for him!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 AM

Bringing this topic back....

Been soaking myself in some of the Moodies stuff on Youtube, one video I keep watching over and over is their performance of "Nights In White Satin" at the 1970 Isle Of Wight festival, which happened to be one of the last major gigs Hendrix played before he died. I gotta say, Graeme is pretty explosive here, especially towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBU0uoR-W0
Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM

One of my favorite performances by Edge is the studio version of "New Horizons" which is on the Moodies "7th Sojourn" album from 1972. Everything about that track is perfect IMO.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM

He's one of those drummers that I didn't realize I was so influenced by until I listened to some Moody Blues after starting to learn drums and had the realization.

My verbal vocabulary is not filled out enough to describe exacxtly what it is, but the words that come to mind are a "loose" or kind of "lazy" feel, with lots of space and ghost notes.

He's got so many identifiable cool accents, like the rim shot right before the flute solo in "Nights In White Satin," the hi hat barks he just hammers on "Lovely to See You," the aforementioned knocking on "Question," the fills on "Have You Heard."

In high school, I used to sit in the dark with incense burning and This is the Moody Blues on the headphones. It sounded like what you'd get if the Men of Gondor started a rock band, and it wound up in my musical DNA.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM

I've been on a quest recently to find out what his ride cymbal was "back in the day", like on "Nights in White Satin". I love the sound and the way it opens up and builds along with the crescendo after the flute solo. I know it's Zildjian, but does anybody have any additional info? Size, line, weight, designation, etc?