DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music- Foo fighters,smashing pumpkins,red hot chilli peppers,queens of the stone age,biffy clyro
Drummer- Dave grohl (nevermind was perfection)
Person- my uncle local gigging drummer got me my first kit and teaches me
Style- rock/funk/jazz its a mix
Inspirations- My uncle
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Silver Member

Music - grew up on 70s Glam; Slade, GlitterBand, Mud, Rubettes
Drummer - Cozy Powell [from tv], Buddy [saw him live in 73]
Person - my dad always encouraged me, and a neighbour when I was 11 called Harry; 1st kit I ever beat on!
Inspiration - Cozy I think, tho he's dead I still aspire to be the guy I saw on tv when I was 10 years old!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:22 AM

Music- Sleater Kinney, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Polka Music

Drummer- Janet Weiss, Bruce Cooey, Brian Chase

Person- the above mentioned people made me want to drum

Style- I'm just starting. I want to play in a polka band

Inspirations- I listen to all kinds of music, but over the last year I really started noticing the drums in music. Especially in bands like Sleater Kinney and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It's not just a straight beat the whole way through. The drums in those bands are a very big part of what's going on, just as important as the vocals and guitars.

Joe
Old 07-22-2007, 06:36 AM

Music: Nirvana, Godsmack, Foo Fighters, Slipknot

Drummer: Dave Grohl, Shannon Larkin, Taylor Hawkins, Joey Jordison

Person: i wanted to be just as good of a drummer as the people above

Style: Grunge, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal....anything that would start a moshpit

Inspirations: Every drummer that has ever came from nowhere and become something........and will not stop at anything to do what they want for themselves and for the crowd
Old 07-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

Music- My musical tastes have always been diverse, but the genres that really got me into drumming were punk rock, hip-hop, and funk. I can remember listening to those styles of music and really focusing on the drums, ingraining them into my memory.

Drummer- I hate to admit it, but when I first started drumming, I listened to Travis Barker, as per my drum teacher's instruction. He felt that even though it was a lot of bashing, Barker had a lot of solid grooves that were easy for a beginner to pick up on, especially circa Boxcar Racer.

Person- My drum teacher really helped me out a lot with drums, and was very encouraging. When I would get frustrated, he eased my mind by breaking down my issues with technique, groove, and coordination. He was able to help me get much more comfortable behind the kit, and I owe the foundation of my drumming to him.

Style- Funk is probably my most favorite style of drumming. More than soloing, comping, or playing it straight, I love to groove, and I think funk music compliments that particular drumming forte.

Inspirations- My biggest inspiration is probably drummerworld. I've come across so many drummers here, both professional and amateur, who inspire me with their own creativity and feel, and fill my head with wonderful new insights into drumming.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums)

I used to listen to The Beatles alot as a kid, my dad loves them, then in 8th grade I discovered The Jimi Hendrix Experience and that led (no pun intended) to Led Zeppelin and Cream and other 60s and 70s bands. My current obsession is Led Zeppelin

Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums)

My sister played drums for 6+ years, so her, and then Mitch Mitchell was the first drummer on record that really made me take notice and say, "I want to play drums". Then I discovered John Bonham and said "I want to play drums"

Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums)

My sister

Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums)

Rock, blues, funk, a little jazz

Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)

Fire- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Mitch Mitchell), The Lemon Song- Led Zeppelin (John Bonham), any other songs from my heroes, Bonzo, Mitch, Ginger, Moon, Densmore
Old 07-25-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Would have to be " Beneath The Remains " Sepultura, when i was in yr8 high school. Before that i was listening to Motley Crue and it didnt give me a buzz for drums. As soon as i heard Beneath The Remains, it was straight to the music shop......

Oh and hello everyone !!
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 AM

Well at our school there was a bucket drumming band, and they sounded amazing. So, when i got to gr.7 I joined a bucket drumming class along with a lot of other people (it was very popular). I was good at it so i stuck with it in gr.8 and was one of the best. When i was sending courses in for high school I saw that they had a percussion class and I signed up for it. When I got into the class it wasn't what i expected it to be, for most of the semester we did mallets. Even though I was good at it I didn't really like it much. Close to the end of the year we finally got into drums and I loved it. I took the course the next year but this time the school hired another music teacher (there was only one) and he was amazing at drumming. After seeing him play drums I wanted to become a drummer.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

hmm, well i wanted to play the trumpet in the school band.. couldnt find a trumpet.. had a snare drum and got a pair of sticks.. next thing i knew i had a nack at the drums.. later down the road added some stuff to taht rogers snare drum and now i have myself a kit.. i still have that rogers snare drum somewhere.. i should restore it
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 AM
fourstringdrums

From a musical standpoint I honestly can't remember what it was that turned me on to drums more than another instrument at first whether it was how the drummer looked, the sound or the feel...although those were factors that I loved eventually. I just know that it was something I gravitated to. From a personal standpoint, once I knew that I really wanted to play drums, the goal of showing those people (especially my parents) who thought I couldn't play because of my physical disability that I COULD made me want to play even more, and still does to this day.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

I think for me it was when I was quite young and my friend had been playing drums for a while. I used to love going around to this place and we'd just play all day. Eventually I bought that drumkit off him when he got a new one and then when my friends were starting a band I naturally became their drummer. That was the start of it all for me. I had played piano and guitar before that and I must admit I wished I had stuck with the piano longer or just kept it up alongside my drumming. I've been playing for the last two years again but it's just reminded me how much I wish I had kept it up. It's a great skill to have and one I believe can really help you grow as a drummer. Anyway, that was basically it for me.

Has anyone else noticed how many people Zeppelin got started playing? Incredible!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Music- Metal, Jazz, Prog, Electronic, etc... Mainly anything i listen to
Drummer- Gavin Harrison, Neil Peart, Rob Jones, Jon Theodore
Person- My Dad, because he bought me my first and second kits. (Roland V drums, and Mapex M Birch, which arrives on saturday!!)
Style- Jazz, Funk, Rock, Electronic (I play rock, and play along to jazz every so often, but there's something about Jazz drumming and funk drumming that i really love)
Inspirations- Music, This forum (though i've only been here a very short while, it inspired me to learn theory and work harder), My Band.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Well for me it was mainly because I got to hit stuff and get away with it.. gets rid of some of the anger.
Anyway my dads has played guitar for ever and that always sort of appealed to me but guitar takes longer to start sounding good when in drums you can just lay down a sick easy beat and sound pro, well not really, but i thought so.

hehe
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM

At the age of 1 my parents had already bought me a toy drum kit and the sound it made was one of the few I wasn't scared of and I also used to see my father playing sometimes and so I believe that I started playing drums because I was influenced by it at such a young age.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Ian Paice's drumsolo on 'Made in Japan - The Mule'
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

listening to all this music made me & makes me want to play drums:

The Ventures,The Shadows,Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, The Kinks

All the Buddy Rich Big band albums, Soul Sacrifice by Santana, Don Brewer on 'Flight of the phoenix' by Grand Funk Railroad
Whipping Post by the Allman Bros., Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix,

Highway Star
by Ian Paice & Deep Purple,
Money by Pink Floyd,
Baba O'Rielly by Keith Moon and The Who,

Stairway to Heaven, Steve Gadd in Aja , Lenny White and Dave Weckl with Chick Corea,
Billy Cobham playing Stratus and Red Baron,
Bernard Purdie on Green Earrings, and Jim Keltner ( ? ) on Josie by Steely Dan

Billy Higgins with Art Pepper,Jack de Johnette in everything, ,Tony Williams with Miles Davis,

Peter Erskine with Jaco Pastorious & Weather report,

Will Kennedy with the Yellowjackets, Danny Gottlieb with Metheny, Kirk Covington with Tribal tech, Vinnie Colauita with Karizma....,

Zakir Hussain, Trilok Gurtu, Selva Ganesh,Aaron Spears, Gavin Harrison, Rodney Holmes....Coltrane, Elvin.. Miles , Tony, Max, Monk, Straight no chaser...

to be continued

Last edited by aydee; 11-07-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Music: Country Music (esp 80's-mid 90's), 70's- early 80's Rock.

Drummer(s): Mark Herndon (Alabama), Jimmie Fadden (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), John Dittrich (Restless Heart)

Person: I was fortunate to come from a pretty musical family all around, so everybody was very supportive in my quest to become the drummer I have.

Style: have pretty well played it all at one time or another (exept punk or hardcore, can't stand it, [no offense]). As of late I have been mainly playing rock/country style with some jazz thrown in as well. have played in jazz bands in the past.

Inspiration: just listening to the music I listen to and watching other drummers perform provides me with the insiration to keep trying new things and never stop trying to learn.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Silver Member

Music: Mother's Finest, Zappa, Missing Persons, Led Zeppelin, The Police, (late 70's early 80's)
Drummer: I would stare at BB Queens drums for hours.Funk rock was the ticket. Then after seeing Bozzio play...that was it! I couldn't imagine any more fun (and still don't).
Person: My soon to be best friend Brad. I had a motorcycle and he had a bass. I would play his bass, he would ride my motorcycle. He's like we should start a band. I was like....yeah!. Both of us had just moved to Georgia and didn't know a soul. It was a perfect situation to start a band that would last 17 years.
Style: Funk rock with a little metal thrown in for good measure (in the early years). Now, it's jazz, fusion and funk. I hate to say it, but how many time can one listen to Moby Dick?
Inspriation: All the other drummers. you can learn something from anyone.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Music- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Rush..
Drummer- Chad Smith
Person- Miguel Angel Crudo (My master) R.I.P
Style- Progressive, Hard Rock, Fusion.
Inspirations- Awesome drummers, i always learn something new
Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 AM

My best friend played guitar and I used to drum on a trash can while he played. I started to realize that I might have a nack for rythym and eventually got a kit so we could start creating music. Rage Against the Machine and Korn were very prominent influences at the time (1999) although I still love Rage.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

In seventh grade a friend of mine came into class with a pair of drumsticks and played a few rudiments...I was hooked! Then after watching Bonham, I couldn't think of anything else for a few years. It's been a party ever since.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoJr48 View Post
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.
my dad was my main influence also.I started playing when I could reach the bass drum pedal which is when I was about 4 yrs. old Bonham & Peart are also my Favorites Bonham first Neil second.But I owe a lot too my dad he always made sure I had a kit to play it was always his hand-me-down stuff but I never complained and I always had fun.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebula821 View Post
My best friend played guitar and I used to drum on a trash can while he played. I started to realize that I might have a nack for rythym and eventually got a kit so we could start creating music. Rage Against the Machine and Korn were very prominent influences at the time (1999) although I still love Rage.
Well if your gonna be a drummer you better learn how too spell rhythm LOL just kidding thank goodness you didn't. become a guitar player LOL

Bonzolead
Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 AM

ever since i was a kid i always listened to the drum parts in a song more then any other part. something about it drew my to them. but i started racing motocross first, and 2 broken legs, 1 broken foot, 1 broken wrist, 8 broken fingers, 2 broken ribs later, i hung up my racing gear and bought a ludwig kit. that was 19 years ago and ive played ever since. ive learned drums were not only a hobby for me but an obsession in a way.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

I think when I was little just banging pots and pans because of agervation was what made me love them. The whole physical aspect of drumming, and the whole part of performing, is just what I really loved. And I came from a music backround, so it's in the blood :D

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Buddy Rich. After hearing him as a very young boy of 5yrs old that was all it took. Period.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:45 AM

Music- Metal, pretty much any Metal/Rock/Prog band.
Drummer- Ribbs, a mate. I really like Joey and Mike Smith
Person- Ribbs (username - Gilded)
Style- Anything I can at the moment.
Inspirations- Just listening to stuff in my collection.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Guinness

Music- I had always wanted to play the drums when I was in elementary school, but I was poor as a child and my parents couldn't afford me a drum set. I was a Metallica teenager and thought Lars Ulrich hung the moon, that was until I was 13 years old I heard Tom Sawyer playing on a station and was just blown away. It was that summer that I started mowing lawns to be able to afford my first drumset.

Drummer- As previously stated, it was Neil Peart that lit the fire under my backside to start the journey. There have been many more that I have found very inspiring, but that's my guy if I have to pick one.

Person- My dad had a client of his that played the drums and my dad had told him that I was saving for a set. Dean is his name and I still speak with him on a monthly basis. Eighteen years ago he sold me a Pearl maple 11 pc. set for $600. He really wanted me to get into it and gave me an unbelievable deal nad was always there offering encouragement as I began to learn the craft.

Style- My style is very blues based since I cut my teeth on this genre when I was in high school. The band I played in covered a lot of Stevie Ray tunes and blues in general. My current band still holds on to these roots pretty tight, although we play anything under the sun. Chris "Whipper" Layton is probably the drummer that my style mostly resembles. I am the most comfortable playing the shuffles and find myself trying to swing the beat no matter what the song "not always a good thing".

Inspirations- Neil Peart is probably the guy that keeps me going when I start feeling stale. I play nothing like the guy, but his creativity and drive are unparallel. The guy is always moving forward, whether it be drums or just life itself.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Gilded

Music- Death and Black..that is all

Drummer- Virgil Donati. (yes, I know he is jazz)

Person- Parents have been very supportive of my obsession with drums. I am grateful for that but my mentor is Tim Cartledge.

Style- I play death the most but I also rock at fusion and can sneak in a bit of jazz every now and then.

Inspirations- Spug's (Mudvayne) spontaneity, Joey's (Slipknot) speed, Portnoys and Virgil's brilliance, Mike's (Suffocation) blasting, Chris's (Lamb Of God) quad method
Old 11-06-2007, 05:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilded View Post
Drummer- Virgil Donati. (yes, I know he is jazz)
Huh????????????????????????????
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Gilded

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89 View Post
Huh????????????????????????????
my post was like:

"Music - Death and Black..that is all

Drummer - Virgil Donati (yes I know he is jazz)"

I said that because I thought people would be like 'Why do you think Virgil is a inspirational drumer if you only listen to heavy music'
get me?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Music- Rock, Funk, Jazz
Drummer- John Bonham was the first drummer who I noticed had unique style, and I wanted to be able to play like him. Other major inspirational drummers for me include Jon Fishman, Ringo Starr, Kris Myers, and Jose Pasillas.
Person- My 5th grade music teacher, who probably is the reason I even play music now.
Style- I love to play rock n' roll, but I really love to hammer out a tasty, thick funk groove.
Inspirations- The drummers I listed above, as well as my parents.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
Was it Tommy Aldridge?
yes it was tommy playing very incredibly specially boom boom out go the lights his double bass work was extreme
Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
Was it Tommy Aldridge?
yes it was tommy playing very incredibly e specially boom boom out go the lights his double bass work was extreme
Old 11-07-2007, 08:34 AM

Karen carpenter........she was so relaxed , it was quite amazing to see such effortless drum playing without missing a note- blending so beautifully with her singing !! listening to her on the radio for so many years i would of never believed that she played drums with her songs..........very impressive to a young boy whos never seen a female drummer before......... she plays her drums while singing such heartfelt lyrics.....gave me an emotional awareness towards what i wanted to bring to my first drumset. i didnt want to sing ....i wanted to play drums ... but didnt know how far i could take it!!! untill i found that emotional side that i never thought i had..........all thanks to karen carpenter...even to this day i play with an emotional outlook. emotions and drums go great together
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Gilded

When I was younger I used to watch Video Hits and Rage alot in the morning. This was the time when Blink-182 put out 'All The Small Things' and you could see Travis Barker alot in the clip busting out. Thats one of my earliest memories of when I began to notice drums more in songs. Then when I got older my sister listened to Slipknot and so I started to aswell because I thought I was hardcore, then that really made me notice Joey. Then that really led me into drums from there and I began playing in the school band. Now I despise school bands and jam out with mates along to Lamb Of God and Trivium, or a bit of Cradle Of Filth by myself.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM

My mate stasted a band, but none of us knew how to play any instruments. He told me i was on guitar but i was not happy. As you can imagine the band went nowhere i didn't even meet any of the other members. When it didn't happen the mate that told me to learn the guitar started playing guitar, this meant that i could learn the drums... so eventually i started... best choice i ever made.
Drummers like Chad Smith (RHCP) and Brad Wilk (RATM) started me off and then i began to look at the more technical stuff. At the moment i love Michael Barker from The John Butler Trio.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:48 PM

I was in a big band for my middle school as 4th trumpet in 6th grade. I've never heard live drums, so I was surprised at how much better music sounded with drums added. The drummer in our band was actually pretty good, and made me want to play. I went into a local guitar center and bashed on a roland v-drum which I believe was a TD-6, and I was playing a 8th note pattern and a jazz pattern just by listening to the drummer in the big band. My parents bought me a kit and I still play every day for more than 2 hours.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 AM

My mother used to work in a child care center in NSW ,Australia ,Morisset.

my earllyest memorie was when all us little kid would sit there and bash all these intruments
and i loved the drum, if i didnt get it i would cry my eyes out

ever since then ive loved drums the sound and the look is AMAZING
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 AM

my friends and i would always try to jam-out our guitars and stuff but never had a steady drummer, and when we found one, he was usually to drugged up to be useful. So i tried playing one day and loved it... turns out i'm fairly a natural at drumming and i have indulged in it ever since.