DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

these guys,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrSbTc4ob8

who are now my rivals in competition
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music: #1 would be Santana. The Police, Aerosmith, Prince, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, The Meters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Drummer: Carter Beauford, Questlove, Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez, Gene Lake, Jojo Mayer, Bill Stewart, Tony Allen, Mokhtar Samba, Manu Katche, Zakir Hussain....and Mr Vinnie Colaiuta
Person: My uncle.
Style: Funk and bits and of Afro-cuban and jazz
Inspirations Just the beautiful music
Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Music-Mastodon, Slayer, Zappa, Lou Reed, Lamb of God, Stevie Ray Vaughn (Double Trouble), Fear Factory, Chevelle, Rush, Queen, Zeppelin, The Sword, Black Sabbath, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, CCR, Jethro Tull, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Anything I can get my hands on. I love ALL types of music (save bubblegum pop)

Drummer-Brann Dailor, Phil Collins, Raymond Herrera, Dave Lombardo, Paul Bostaph, Bonzo, Bermuda, Peart, Buddy Rich, Chris Adler... I listen to a lot of drummers and learn what makes them tick. You can't be great with only one influence, you end up sounding just like them and then you're just a carbon copy.

Persons-I've always wanted to, I've just always looked up to drummers. My girlfriend told me to do what I wanted and let nobody stand in my way one day; a week later I had a drum kit.

Style-I love little things in bass drum work that aren't necessarily incredibly fast, but that compliments the music you're trying to play well. I'm big into fills and having a solid groove but interluding it very regularly with a fill.

Inspiration- The drive to get better. I one day want to be a great drummer. I don't need fame or fortune, I just love the instrument and want to be good at it.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Music- All every style has something inspiring.
Drummer- Alot.. but I really like how Vinnie Calaiuta thinks.
Person- Father.
Style- All styles.
inspirations- Having fun.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Big_Philly

Music: the most inspiration has come from bands such as nightwish, dream theatre, lacuna coil, linkin park, nickelback, spineshank and recently rush.

Drummer: when I just started drumming I didn't know a lot of drummers, saw no need to know them either. But afer a while that changed. My favourite drummer at the moment is Keith Carlock, and other than him I like Mike Portnoy, Neal Peart, Virgil Donati and Jeff Porcaro.

Person: my parents and brothers got me into taking drum lessons.

Style: I have a very broad interest, rock in all of its forms (except for stuff like death metal which insults my ears, I prefer music in which I can hear some sort of melody in the vocals), and recently I've gotten interested in playing Jazz. I am working on it, listening to some jazz and trying to learn how they play drums.

Inspirations: Music that gives me goosebumps for being awesome, and sometimes a break or fill that I come up with out of nowhere that rules. I also get a lot of inspiration from watching other drummers. No matter what style they're playing, you always learn something if they're good drummers.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 PM

In the 3rd grade I took up percussion because I had a good sense of time and rhythm. In the 7th grade I went for a lesson on xylophone and instead got one on a set. (Sooo lucky) Ever since its been an addiction.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Music: Zeppelin, Hendrix, Anonymous, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Genesis, The Who, Benny Goodman, John Coltrane, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Phil Collins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Supertramp.....the list can go on for pages but those are the bands that are a big influence.

Drummer: Bonham is my biggest influence.

Person: Uncle who was in a band and my neighboor.

Style: Rock, Jazz, Funk
Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Music: Led Zeppelin, Blink 182, Motley Crue, Metallica, The Mars Volta, The Who.

Drummer: John Bonham, Keith Moon.

Person: Had a drum teacher for a few months.

Style
: Rock, some jazz.

Inspirations: Knowing that if i practice as much as i can and be patient about learning, that I can be an amazing drummer. Wanting to play in a good band one day.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 PM

Mines was the sound of a good snare drum. I used to love watching marching bands and kept my eyes on the side drummers. That was all before I began kit drumming.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:42 AM

Actually, I didn't want to play the drums that much... I first played the cello and then learned the guitar, the piano, how to sing and eventually, I started jamming on my brother's TD-7! When I formed a band with my long time pals, I first was the lead guitarist but when we started looking for a drummer, my friend called me and said: "Hey, you play the drums, right? I said yeah... and he goes Well... wanna be the drummer?" And I accepted! I ended up entering the percussion program at my high school and becoming the jazz band drummer as well as the lead signer and drummer of that first band for the whole five years it lasted! Now, I'm finishing my college degree in jazz/pop drums!!! But I going into composition and arrangement next year, to better exploit my musical abilities...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM

When I first heard The Beatles, that was it for me. I had to play drums in a band. The year was 1964
Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

ive always had a natural beat running throught me, i just knew the drums was a must. but hwat really got my into it was a school talent show, two drummers did a drum battle and that was it, i knew i had to play drums, when i bought my first kit, or even played a kit for the first time, i was almost as good as i am now, it was just a natural thing that was meant to be.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

i think it was the fact that i didnt have to much for a trumpet.. the year was of course 2001. i wanted to play trumpet all though i had no idea how.. my dad somehow got me an audtion at our school to play the drums and i happened to be a natural.. ive played at school a long time and from then on i think it was just my passion for music and self expression.. idk i love the drums. theres just something about them thats awsome
Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 PM

I knew I had the abilty to play since I was 9 or 10. Didnt get my 1st kit till age 16. A copy of The Whos Quadrophenia Album was the icing on the cake.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default What made you want to start drumming? what was that turning point?

post that time, that event, whatever it was that made you want to play drums.......a concert, meeting a famous drummer?

for me it was at a school talent show way back in grade 7, two drummers tried to out beat each other

ive been playing drums ever since and i can probably out beat the both of them now

Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: What made you want to start drumming? what was that turning point?

great question...i have thought about why i wanted to play drums...only many years later after i became an older adult. for me i decided it's about putting things in order...organization...of tempos,beats and grooves...kinda like making a filing system...striving for perfection. i hope that kinda makes sense(?)
Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 AM

believe it or not, piano came before it all....

because of my dad, just like why i took up golf. good role models can do that to you.

also because drummers always impressed me more than any other musician. when i was 14 most of my buddies had posters of trey anastasio, jimmy hendrix, slash or other crazy guitarists on their walls. mine had jon fishman (phish), carlton barrett (wailers), steve gadd (steely dan) and carter beauford (dmb).

i also had natural internal beat, which explains why i was able to pick up bass as well.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:51 AM

for me I was born in it. My old man plays the bass, and my uncle plays the drums. They were in some pretty popular bands back in the day, so I was right in it growing up. Early on I knew I'd be playing the drums. Started off being my uncles Rodie lol
Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Pioneer Member

To add to what I said earlier in this thread, When I was 11 I heard a really cool drum solo on the radio. I don't know who it was but it really turned me on. I really wanted to play drums after going to my first rock concert in my early teens. The drummer for the Pat Traverse Band (sp?) did an incredible solo. I knew then the drums were for me.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:35 AM

When I was about eight years old I borrowed my brothers Zeppelin IV album and I heard the intro to "When The Levee Breaks" and the solo at the end of "Rock'n Roll" I knew then that I was going to be a drummer.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer View Post
To add to what I said earlier in this thread, When I was 11 I heard a really cool drum solo on the radio. I don't know who it was but it really turned me on. I really wanted to play drums after going to my first rock concert in my early teens. The drummer for the Pat Traverse Band (sp?) did an incredible solo. I knew then the drums were for me.
Was it Tommy Aldridge?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM

When i was a kid i was bouncing off the walls 24-7 and my parents tried everything to calm me down. Boxing, Hockey, Soccer, nothing stuck. So they got me this little kit from a garage sale and put it in our unheated shed (brrrrrrrrr) -20c. I played every day after school for hours and jammed with my best buddy. Everthing inspires me about drums, as soon as i look at a set i am playing them before i even get a chance to sit down.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
Was it Tommy Aldridge?
It might have been. I remember he had big, curly, hair like an afro and was really wild. Now that you mention it I think that's who it was.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 PM

The Beatles and Styx. I was brought up listening to both of them and I just wanted to be able to play music. Sticks just felt right to pick up.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:42 PM

the sound of a good instrument.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:47 PM

i can't really remember, but i know that there wasn't any other instrument that i had been introduced to that i wanted to play. and that it was fun back when i started and it still is fun :D Since the end of summer i've played more and more, not really sure why but I think it's because i've started to build up more speed, play more marching stuff, and that i've joined a band w/ a few of my friends. :)
Old 04-07-2007, 09:47 AM

I always loved rock music. But my parents didn't really like it so I never got any drums even though I thought about it when younger. So fast forward a few years, I was sitting in my friend's car, out of the blue he lights up a doob and put on a mix of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tool. I'm instantly hooked by the sound and feeling of the drums and decided to get a kit, neighbours be damned! :)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM

With me it just all started when i just had this kind of feeling about this incredible instrument, but i cant describe it. When i saw a drummer i always amagined how magnificant and stress-killing it should be and to just express yourself and play in front of people or just with friends, or alone, ... So i decided to buy myself a really cheap kit 2 years ago, and i've never stopped drumming since, almost every day, i'm hooked :)
Old 05-18-2007, 03:04 PM

Ringo
'nuff said.

Arty Z
Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 PM

No other instrument ever held my attention the way that drums did. At its root it's such a simple instrument and a simple concept, but when you begin to dig in a little deeper, your options become so complex and innumerous that it just sucks you in and doesn't let go. I certainly haven't had my "fill" yet. Haha... :\ Sorry... I had to do it. ;)

Moe
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM

i felt i wanted to play an instrument but i dint know wich 1
i fort well i wana play sumfin unique.
drums was the answer.
if u wana hear the full story go on my website

www.micromusic.piczo.com

an go on the -x-Drumming-x- page
thanks

xx pinky xx

Last edited by maniac-drummer; 06-05-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelt a word wrong lol!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM

MEG & DIA. they're my favorite band. their song appeared on mtv discover and download. the drummer nick price motivated me. [ : the first instrument i learned to play was the violin (5 yrs.) then keyboard (2 yrs.) then drums (4 mo.) i played a lil gig just a while ago and i had a lot of fun.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Mr Cozy Powell!!! 'Dance With The Devil'
Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 AM

Drummer- My dad. He was always into soul music from the 60s and 70s and impressed a lot of that influence on me. John Bonham, Matt Johnson (from the Seattle area - Roadside Monument, Blenderhead), Jesse Sprinkle, William Goldsmith, Clyde Stubblefield, Greg Errico, Don Brewer.
Person- My dad got me started. He played at our church and would let me mess around after he practiced with the band. He started bringing the kit home and I would play along with music on a boom box. I was about 7. I'm 26 now and am as passionate about drumming as ever.
Style- It's tough to say. Music that's a mix of all my drumming influences.
Inspirations- My wife constantly encourages me to keep playing and to continue to learn. Many great bands inspire me, too - Zeppelin, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Cursive, Average White Band, Sly and the Family Stone, Motown, James Brown, June of 44, The White Stripes, et cetera...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 PM

Music: Tower of Power, James Brown, Chicago, Smash Mouth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Streetlight Manifesto.

Drummer: David Garibaldi, Jojo Mayer, Philly Joe, Gene Krupa.

Person: My Grandfather and Uncle

Style: Funk, Latin Rock, Jazz. (and ska)
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 PM

My grandfather and uncle both are gigging drummers.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM

reason i started was cos i went to a foofighters gig years ago, think was 1999 in the olympia in dublin, theyd only released the colour and the shape, dave drummed that night, for 3 or 4 songs with pat smear singing was amazing to watch dave drumming, thats when i new i wanted to drum
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM

I don't know why, I always loved drums!

And one day I met a guy that plays, and he asked me to see his band training!
and when i saw him playing, it was like "omg! i need to play it!"
Old 07-04-2007, 01:13 PM

ya i started playing when i saw one of my friends praticing with his band and i was so impressed he had been playing for like 8 years and im already better then him at some things mostly rock songs he does all that heavy metal stuff not my bag.also drums looked fun and they are a very physcial instrument and uyou really get inn to it
Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 AM

Easy.I don't like to work and I had to do something with my life. So I started doing some teaching and it worked!. In the other side. I like all the stage magic, the mysthic, and the love and respect of the people. I have no doubt this is the coolest job in the world.