DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 09-21-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: The "how" thread

MUSIC Kiss,The Beatles,David Bowie,Poison,Oasis,SFA,GnR,R.H.C.P,Foo Fighters..
DRUMMER Eric Singer for the last few years
PERSON My Drum teacher i have at the minute..I only started playing again recently after taking time off with my babies..He's so funny,proffesional and cool,and very very patient!!
STYLE Rock,i prefer old school...
INSPIRATION Anyone who ever said to me"keep on at it,you'll get there in the end"

Last edited by cheryl; 09-28-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:59 AM

MUSIC - Slayer, Machine Head, Nirvana, Slipknot
DRUMMER - Dave Lombardo, Joey Jordison
PERSON - Same as above, just hearing these guys put so much energy and passion, and deriving such power, I was awestruck
STYLE - Metal, Anything thats fast and gets my head bouncing
INSPIRATION - Anyone that gives 100%, doesn't hold back, and MAKES you feel the music and get up and dance ( yes moshing is dancing )
Old 09-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

2 reasons really.
1) Everyone at school played guitar so I thought some of them might need a drummer eventually.
2) Jimmy Chamberlin- this man is my God.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 PM

Location: Getting ready to move to Spokane, WA.Born in California live in Washington State

One of my brothers played the violin and one the accordion and then guitar.My other 2 brothers could not even pluck "Smoke On The Water" on a guitar.I pushed and pulled the accordion with my feet and played bits of songs.I tried guitar but was only able to play bits of songs.My parents never offered me lessons but did buy me a keyboard when I was 16.I needed something that would feel like part of me and that was not it.
I hung out with Mike and Robert Sweet(Stryper) and loved watching Robert play his drums.
I was busy working and hanging out with my friends in bands(Spoiled Rotten,Diamond Claw)going to shows in Hollywood and did not have time for myself.
(1988)I bought a drum set off a friends room mate for $100(4 piece Gracie gold metal flake jazz set).I got to make some noise but needed to bond with a set.I drove to some slime hole music store in L.A.,CA. and picked up a black Pearl EX and set it up at home.Drove to Guitar Center and got my throne and symbols and all that and met my sales person, who I loved.
My 15 year old friend who I was mentoring during his drug rehab had a set and I drove mine over to his house and he helped me learn how to jam.I just felt so much energy through my body and I was on such a natural high.It was like riding a Harley down the street and everyone can hear you.I had no clue what I was doing but met some musicians down at the beach one day and they invited me to jam with them.I packed my kit in my truck and we met in a garage for almost a year and they all had to help me learn fills and beats for the songs.I pretty much sucked but I put myself out there and had a band called Organized Confusion that never left that garage (good thing)lol.
I had a chance to be with ACDC on the (Money Talks ?)tour and stay in their guest room for the Forum show and the Irvine Meadows.We had a blast(I had a whore girlfriend who slept with band guys, so all you guys reading this "protect yourself you never know what you are getting into").Chris the drummer(was in the Firm)was real cool and Cliff(bass player) was great. I just wished I would have taken pictures,left my camera in my truck.
I have been to many drum clinics and met many drummers.I think all drummers should go to clinics and see these great musicians and by all means ask them questions they are all so helpful and modest.Saw Dave Lombardo and Eric Singer.John Tabares is a great drummer(Hirax)and a nice guy(heard he went Christian).
I have had a few good instructors but the good ones always seem to leave and go on tour or something.I found out that I need to be able to read tab in order for me to get it and feel the music.My last teacher forgot to tell me about the repeat sign and I just about lost it when the song I was jamming to and the notes stopped matching.I am not a play by ear person so I have to make notes to see what I am doing.A mind is a terrible thing to waist so work with it.
Monday I get my new Pearl ELX and I can't wait.My hubby wants to take up Bass again and we can jam together.He was a singer in bands years ago and knew many people on the rock circuit in the 80's.He rehearsed in the same studio as Wasp and many other bands.Metallica opened for his band back before they got Lars to shower.Boy the stories we could tell but we respect the privacy of the well known.
Need to brush up on my tab reading.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM

i was writing and recording music but did not have anyone who could play drums, let alone anyone who could play what i wanted...

it started as a small hobby for about 5 years playing on other people's kits...

two years ago i was given a drum kit by a good friend and i have devoted serious time and energy to it.

i still consider myself a novice, but i now drum for a post-punk band and still continue to drum on my own compositions

the common men

www.myspace.com/thecommonmen
Old 09-24-2006, 04:56 PM

I think the drummers in carnivals used to fascinate me when i was a kid...
Later on i heard 'Free Four' by Pink Floyde..I knew then,coz it was simple but effective.
Still is.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 PM

1. Because one of my friends said me when I was 15 years old : "Man ! You have beat! Why you don't try to play drums."
2. I realized that I was talented.
3. Because it's the most beautiful instrument in the world.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:00 AM

I stress out by playing drums. It also helps me to loose weight (better than ab-shaper :) )
I started to interest metal music after playing.
80's is the best for me. ( Glam Rock Yeah! )
Skid Row is countable for 80's bests...
Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onur_kusadasi
I stress out by playing drums. It also helps me to loose weight (better than ab-shaper :) )
I started to interest metal music after playing.
80's is the best for me. ( Glam Rock Yeah! )
Skid Row is countable for 80's bests...
Hiya Onur,i agree!!!80's rock IS the best for me also...I was a huge Kiss and Poison fan..(still am)..
Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 AM

I'm playing Knight Online and our clan's name is PoisoN :D
I wish I could be about 17 years old at 80's... (I was 3 :D)
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 AM

Music: rock music, from Beatles to progressive rock
Drummer: John Bonham
Person: me!
Style: free form
Inspirations: Anything, from women to children... an players, composers and producers I've interacted with.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 AM

Some primeval urge rising from within me...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:45 AM

Because the chicks dig it!

Bonham! I love his minimalist approach. Sure, he had a gong and tympanis, but a rather spartan kit, even when he could have anything his heart desired. And that sound.... man, that is what it's all about.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:08 PM

i wanted to play with my bro in a band, and he needed a drummer. i heard theyr hard to find, so it sounded like it might be worth a try. i had started off with just a snare drum. i'd also been having piano lessons for 5 years and needed change!

Last edited by badlydubbedsean; 10-25-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:33 AM

I was probably 9 years old at the time and we had just moved to a new neighborhood. There were two guys, one next door and the other 4 houses down and they both played drums. The one guy played in clubs. I thought these guys were really cool and I had always loved music and that`s what got me interested. I got my first sanre drum when I was 10 and my first kit on my 11th birthday.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:25 AM

Location: USED TO LIVE IN L.A. BUT NOW RESIDE IN BEAUMONT, CA IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE THAT IS..

I started out playing guitar and i still do . Then me and my friend wanted to start a band but either of us knew how to play or even had a set . Then my favorite uncle brown came through .After hearing from my mom how much i wanted to play drums i came home from school one day and found a nine piece double bass kit with roto toms in my garage . my heart just about dropped . thats the kit i learned on when i was 12 . Been through an outragous amount of kits , many stolen and many sold . Now im stuck with a full on junk beater set , plan on buying a new one in a couple months.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Default What made you want to play the drums?

I remember when I was about ten and music was everywhere and I was just bombarded by it. Family friends would give me homemade tapes of KISS, Head East, Foreigner and even the Bee Gees. When I rode the bus home, the driver would turn on the radio, and Firefall's "Lady" might be on. I remember being home from school, sick, and hearing the radio with Heart's "Straight on For you" on the radio. I also remeber the Steve Miller Band's release of "The Book of Dreams". The there was the older kid down the street who wore a derby hat just like John Bonham, playing his drums out in his front yard one day. The choir director at church had his own rock band. There was always music around, so it may have just been a natural progression.

Okay, this is what made me want to play the drums. So what was it for you?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 10-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: What made you want to play the drums?

They started teaching drums in our local music school and I had to pick an extra instrument to study = the easiest choice in the world. Haha, I was 14 or 15 then, playing drums seemed cool. I didnt really listen to a lot of music when I was a kid, but somehow I got into the business anyway.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: What made you want to play the drums?

(this thread already exists) but I just wanted to say those are some cool beginning influences. For me it was luck. I played violin for several years then decided I wanted to try bass guitar. I sucked immensely at bass so the band director asked me to "try" drums, and I was just naturally kind of good at it.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Seeing Stewart Copeland with The Police in 1982 on the Ghost In The Machine tour. That show did it for me. I was amazed!! I new I wanted to play the drums!!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 PM

Well im very good in aca demics and everyone said i had absolutely no musical talent, so i have set out to prove the world wrong.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 PM

THE GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:10 PM

I don't know. I can't remember ever not wanting to play the drums.
The earliest memory I have is sitting in my kitchen playing on pots and pans. I remember that happening even before I saw Animal for the first time.... After that, I was hooked for life.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
I think there is a un-avoidable desire to play drums. Horn players in the school band tend to make fun of percussionist but really they know they want "touch" the snare. One can see the desire in their eyes. The fact that an indivuadle can play a powerfull message that moves people inspires one to become a percussionist but after realizing it's hard work to be up to the standards of whom they saw play, one might easily give up and just dream. Then there is us who worked for the dream and made it a reality....

so with that drums are effin sweet I mean common, honestly can a trumpet play dark and evil solo that just flat out rocks and have nearly the loudness of the drums? Percussion has to most range when it comes to dynamics.
That is true the rest of the band owes each percussionist a dollar per finger,

I was influenced by my sister taking me to local converts and she interduced me to her "boyfriend" He played drems, he let me play the drum set when i was 12. that is where my drumming carier started, but it all started in fourth gradde and getting my first pair of sticks and pad.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Basically - i'd always wanted to play drums, i lvoed the vibe and essence of seeing a live drummer, in the musicals that my dad put together. The live raw sound that they had, and the musicality of them holding the song together. Captivated me.

Then, fate. A few of my mates expressed interest in forming a jazz band. I had no musical experience, but form music clas si had learnt that i picked up most instruments pretty quickly. So i readily said 'Yeh! Ill Be Drummer!"

Quickly forgetting i did not have a drum kit, or any grasp on how to play.

Three years on, i have 2 drum kits, play in two live bands and record for another, and love every part of my music! Lucky i had such a caring and respectful group of musicians to foster my musical interest, anyone else wouldve fobbed me off as a time waster, etc. But through lots of practice, and a lot of perseverance (i still havent had any lessons, looking at getting a few for the jazz side of my drumming) i have the drums downpat, but with so much mroe to learn!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 PM

I took music class for the first time in grade 9, and the program was focused on big band jazz. no matter what setup - ensemble, quartet, or full-blown stage band, there was only one drummer, so you stood out and could always be heard.
i could never afford drums at home, so the incentive was to start on the old pearl exports at the school and get good enough to move across the room (it was a really nice double stage area - classroom setup) to the senior band and play on the pro series. we used to spent lunch hours, spares and hours after school practicing and, while the instructor was taking phone calls for his home business, butchering nirvana, stp, soundgarden and the rest of the grunge. plus you could get relatively far in the program without really having to know anything about music as it related to the rest of the band.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:05 PM

I have a lot of energy and I always loved to hear music with great beats. I used to beat on pots and pans and took interest in the drums. My parents bought me a used kit, slingerland, when I was 6 and I haven't stopped playing since. I took a few lessons and it came naturally to me...it was great to love something and be good at it right off the bat. Well I've played for over 20 years and I still get excited about music.

"Watching great drummers humbles & Inspires me!"
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM

My reason for playing is the fact that I can. If I didn't then the guy that played the drums before me at my church would be playing them........ and he sucked. It was like he didn't have a clue what a beat was. Anyways, I had played guitar for 12 years. I was in all kinds of bands through out middle, and high school, none of them went anywhere, but I had fun. My drummer at the time was a guy that was like a brother to me. He had an old Rogers kit that his mom had bought for him used. This thing looked like it was brand new though. So when I was 12 I wanted to play drums, but my parents thought that I would have given up on it to easily so I never got a drum set. I got my first guitar when I was 13, then joined my friend in a band.

(Fast forward this part of the story sucks) I find myself at my church, now 24 years of age. It was a sunday night, my friend Shawn is the music director at our church. I wanted to see if I could keep a beat, better than the one the guy before was doing. So I sat down, and started playing. As people were walking out the door, and leaving to go home, they stopped to listen to what I was doing. I had never in my life played the drums, but I was playing them like I had been taking lessons for years. So from that night on, I was the new drummer for my church. I am now 26, and I have only gotten better at playing them. So I play because I can, and thats what God wants me to do with my life....
Old 12-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

My music teacher gave me a B (no B's in my house) in music becasue she said i clapped off beat. The next time she saw me (this was in elementary school) i was section leader of percussion at my school.

Also my church has a drum corp and all the cool kids were in it and they were popular so i wanted to be like them. Now I'm the leader of that too.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:30 PM

I got bored at home and I needed a hobby and I wanted to hit something
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM

Music: King Crimson, Yes, Zappa, Rush and Beau Dommage (read further down)

Drummer: Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio, Neil Peart

Person: My grand father who game me a bongo set when I was 12.

Style: Progressive, Rock, a bit of Jazz (I'm no jazzman .. i like improvisation a lot!)

Inspiration: I started playing "drums" when I first modifid my bongo set by adding some rubber bands to the small bongo to make it sound like snare drum. I used to play a lot of Beau Dommage (a very popular group from Montreal/canada), I was 12 years old at the time. From about 17 to present time, my main inspiration comes from Bill Bruford.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 AM

Genetics. Unrecognized genetics. And then: RINGO; the BEATLES. That was what I'd been missing. All the music I heard. It was the rhythm. Childish fascination with cymbals. Here was something I instinctively understood. And it is a part of this wonderful music. I'd heard Bernstein's "West Side Story" soundtrack and all my older sisters pop and rock of the 50's& early 60's and my family's Italian songs & polkas; but when I saw Ringo on the tele...I felt it. The drumset...the Kit...and the Man just looked so darn HAPPY! HAPPY! Happy was something- is something to be prized.

I drum therefore I AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Genetics. Unrecognized genetics. And then: RINGO; the BEATLES. That was what I'd been missing. All the music I heard. It was the rhythm. Childish fascination with cymbals. Here was something I instinctively understood. And it is a part of this wonderful music. I'd heard Bernstein's "West Side Story" soundtrack and all my older sisters pop and rock of the 50's& early 60's and my family's Italian songs & polkas; but when I saw Ringo on the tele...I felt it. The drumset...the Kit...and the Man just looked so darn HAPPY! HAPPY! Happy was something- is something to be prized.

I drum therefore I AM.
"That last one is already gone. You're only as good as your NEXT show."--Buddy Rich
Old 12-15-2006, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post

I drum therefore I AM.
"that last one is already gone. You're only as good as your nextshow."--Buddy Rich
(as told by tony Bennett)
Old 12-25-2006, 06:50 AM
Silver Member

I don't know. I've always liked rhythm. I remember when I was a little kid about 5 I asked for a toy drum for Christmas then that broke so next Christmas I asked for another one. In about sixth grade I checked into playing in my old homeschool bagpipe and drum corp. For some reason it didn't work out so I waited till I was a freshman in high school to start playing and it finally happened. I got a drum kit (I still play it to this day) and ever since then I have been playing.

I also remember when I was nine having some percussion toys around like tamborines and shakers and stuff and one day when I had a few friends over. We were messing around and I remember saying something like "No no no! We need to play the same thing!" and I did one of those "do do do" things but my friends didn't follow along.

Anyways I guess I'm just born a drummer!

PS: I haven't come from a musical background so I don't know how I knew what I said in the 2nd paragraph. I'm still impressed by what I said and that was like 10 or 11 years ago!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 12-25-2006, 06:56 AM

its lame or whatever but seeing travis barker play on tv with no shirt and tattos looking like a badass made me want to play. but now learning new styles rudiments techneques and all that stuff is what keeps me playing.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 AM

i went to a kind of musical hall and I play drum, badly but I play, a guy gift me drumstick now, 7 or 8 years later Im taking classes of drums for the first time xD
Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 AM

I started playing drums for a big reason-- I didn't have much talent in too many things. I mean sure, I was a mean Playstation player, but that was pretty much the only thing I could say I was good at.
On my 14th birthday, my parents bought me a Nirvana DVD. It had a bunch of their starting moments and shows. Seeing Chad Channing and Dave Grohl thrash on their kits, (esspecially Channing with his North kit) gave me goose bumps! I thought, "These guys are nuts" and eventually thought, "That looks a lot funner than guitar."
So, one day at school a friend of mine was trying to play the infamaous "Wipeout." He gets mad and I try it. Bam, first try, nailed it. Of course, we're talking about on a desk with pencils, so it didn't sound good, but you could tell I had it down.
So, I go home and tell my parents I want a drum set. I get a automatic "No!", but soon I became fascinated with the idea of four or five drums and a couple cymbals and making music with them. I looked at drums everyday, whether at musiciansfriend.com or here at this site! I even went to the trouble of replicatiing kits I saw with pillows on my bed, got quite good with songs!
So, last Chrismas, I got my Ludwig Accent, complete with a crash/ride and hi-hat. I soon added three crash cymbals, broke one, studied and read about cymbals and watched a few drumming videos, learned to strike one properly, still have 2 crashes.
And, nearly everyone in my family had heard me play and my parents swear I have an absolute knack at it. I'm even better than a guy my dad knows that's been playing for over 5 years.
I don't think I'll ever quit or forget about drums, or my humble beginnings with pillows. I'll keep on rockin' and learning new things.
Drums have become my thing, my niche. And I'm glad I'm awesome at something that inspirational to life.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 AM

i've played Alto saxophon for 4 years but it becomes more and more boring for me... than a friend came and we went to the drumkit in our school... in this moment i knew that drumming is the right.. and so it is.. i love it
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

My dad was a career jazz drummer and played w/ a lot of big names (Chet Baker, Phil Woods, Sonny Rollins, more...) I was always around the drums...always exposed to music...and it's always been the biggest underlying passion in my life.

I played a lot as a kid but never very seriously...stopped learning young and just picked it up again about a year ago (I'll be 29 in Mar.) I'm makin' up for lost time fast!!! I started lessons w/ a great local guy about 5 mo. ago and I'll have my first DW kit (brand new!) on Thursday!!

I posted these on another thread but here's some cool pics.

Me @ age 3, destroying my dad's vintage Gretsch kit...and a couple of my dad in the 50's & 60's doin' his groove thang...he was only 16 in the big-band pic!
Attached Images