DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

When I was in 4th grade our teacher selected a bunch of us to be in band. I'm not exactly sure why she chose whom she chose but I was one of them. For the first half of the year everyone learned flutophone. We all learned to read basic music this way and play as a group. In the second half of the year we got to pick our instrument. The only thing that interested me was the drums. Again, I'm not sure why. Mind you, this was band percussion, not kit. I was given a pair of sticks by the instructor (Ludwig 9A, I still remember). Shortly after that my mother bought me a small gum rubber practice pad (also Ludwig) and then for Christmas a year later I received a snare drum (definitely not Ludwig). I used to try to play along to songs by hitting the rim with my right stick for the ride and HH, and using the snare for all of the snare/tom sounds. I'd stomp my right heel for the kick, silently, of course. I'm sure it sounded like s*** to anyone who was listening.

On the Christmas that I received my snare drum I was to learn the single most important thing about being a drummer, something that has shaped my drumming experience ever since. By that afternoon I had been asked to move my new snare drum into the garage and play it there as it was too loud in the house. The basement was next.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM

I was a guitarist way before I even thought about playing drums. As a guitarist playing metal, I was taking notice of guys like Sean Reinert, Mike Portnoy, Martin Lopez, Thomas Lejon - basically the more progressive metal drummers. Then, as my tastes expanded a lot I was getting interested in dudes like Virgil Donati, Dave Weckl, Joey Baron (with John Zorn), Yoshida Tatsuya, and Morgan Agren,

When I was around 20 I had like three drum lessons, but I can't remember what exactly inspired that. Probably just a general appreciation for drumming/drummers. I just remember my teacher worshiping Gene Krupa. But I gave drums a rest for whatever reason. Less to do with lack of enjoyment and more to do with practicality.

Still playing guitar, my recent resurgence in interest is again kind of mysterious. I think it's part of this general change as a musician: accepting how I truly want to make music. Taking up drums just seemed natural. And after recently watching/listening to Jason Rullo and Billy Martin I kind of just made the final decision. Now I have a practise pad on the way, I've found what seems like a great teacher in the area, and the journey begins again.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM

My parents have always said that I have a natural "rhythm", and I also found that I would randomly tap beats on my desk in school. So when I got to 7th grade, I joined the school concert band doing percussion. Then, for Christmas in my 9th grade year I got my drumset. I've been the most happy kid in the world ever since.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 AM

My name is Dave. I am new to Drummerworld, but I have played the drums in back yard, club, and big stage bands over the past 28 years in U.S. locales such Austin, LA, and now, NY/NJ.

I used to thump around on the bass when I was a teen (it seemed like "right field" back then for some reason - as a 14-yr old kid, no one thought much of the bass in my circle of friends). During a lunch break with my drummer (Godfather's Pizza was the best), my entire bass rig was stolen. The year was 1979.

Not having any resources or cash to purchase another rig, my drummer offered to sell me his old Ludwig Vistalite 5-pc (clear - circa 1970s) at a bargain as he felt bad my rig was stolen from his house (we later recovered the gear - damaged and no longer usable). I accepted as I had no other real option, but I really never thought I could pick it up.

Long story short, I now have 4 kits and I use at least one of them daily. I am now looking to purchase a decent mid-range e-kit. I am looking at the Yamaha DTX700 and Roland TD-15KV sets. I am not currently playing out, and I do not really want to dive into the deep end as I do not really have the budget at this time. 2400 is my limit.

I still have the Vistalites and they are still impossible to keep tuned, yet glorious all the same.

Last edited by Dave Parsley; 07-27-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Added details
Old 07-27-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwalls View Post
KISS ALIVE! I remember I was in seventh grade
Hell yeah. KISS ALIVE II for me - 6th grade. Made me look at everything from the perspective of a rock star*.

*was a pretty large step up from my K-TEL records (The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace, etc).
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM

MTV, that is what started it all. In 1981 we used to go to my buddy Dan's grandpa's house to watch MTV on weekends because it was the only place we knew that had it. We would go out to grange parties and watch bands play and decided 'lets start a band', how hard could it really be?
Dan found some drums at a yard sale, called me up and I bought them for $100. They were cheap cr@p but what did I know..lol. Dan bought a bass guitar at goodwill for $17 and borrowed an amp and away we went, trying to make something that resembled music. After maybe 6 months Dan bought a guitar at a pawn shop and my brother took over at bass. We kept jamming, playing mostly songs from the first Ramones album (Ramones were our inspiration).
Eventually I decided to get more serious and bought a 'real' drum kit (1968 Ludwig) and found a good group of guys to play with including my buddy Dan, and a couple other friends. We were all self taught, nobody knew how to read music, or the proper way to play really. We did 90% original tunes and started playing parties, then word got around and we started getting hired to play. After about 6 months we were hired to play the armory by ourselves and we drew about 700 people, it was crazy and things just took off from there.
We eventually went to a nearby recording studio and recorded 6 songs, put 4 on an EP (vinyl back in those days) and ended up getting radio play on the indi/college stations and some local stuff. Kinda crazy considering we really didn't know what we were doing.

http://pnwbands.com/blazebrigade.html

Speed ahead....after 4 years myself and Dan went back to school to get real jobs and the band disbanded. I packed up my drum kits (I had bought a 1940's WFL kit as well, that's another story) and put them in my parents basement where they sat until a few months ago. Now 25 years later I'm starting to play again, getting my drum kits cleaned up and so forth. My girlfriend pushed me to start playing so I've been putting the headphones on and jamming away trying to get the rhythm back. My kids area also beating on the drums too! Its all fun.

Last edited by jleeper; 09-19-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 AM

I actually remember the very first time I played drums. I was 2. I never looked back and I never stopped. My uncle Robert (Bob) Taylor, was my first teacher at 3. He was a big band drummer and jazz drummer in the golden age of jazz with Count Basie! Louie Belson was another and one of my biggest early influences. He was the first double bass drummer I recall and one of our greatest drummers ever. Youtube him! He was the master of the snare!