DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 06-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

There weren't any other drummers around.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Music-Beatles and The Police
Drummer-Bernard Puride, Ringo, and Stewart Copeland
Person- Ringo, and Stewart Copeland
Style- Rock, and Jazz
Inspirations- Bonzo, Ringo, Bernard Purdie, Stewart Copeland, Meg White
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Music- All music
Drummer- Mitch Mitchell, Dave Weckl, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Lars Ulrich, Joe Morello, Carlos Bala, Kiko Freitas (Brazilian´s drummers)
Person- John Bonham
Style- Rock, Jazz and Samba
Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 AM

What go me started playing drums? Watching Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and other various TV shows.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM

I remember reading an article on the internet in 2008... A guy wrote about how he went to a Mexican Restaurant in Chico California and while waiting for his burritos, he heard a song made by my favorite band on the restaurant’s radio and he said in this article “The music they play in this restaurant is the type of OOM-PAH, keyboard driven Mexican polka, technically known as Duranguense, that they play in every burrito spot in California. Usually it’s pleasant enough but not really worth paying attention to. But today was different. Behind the usual heartfelt Spanish crooning and laughable synth-lines was some serious Neil Peart style drum fills. Insane snare rolls, fills that crossed the measure line, all sorts of crazy s*** was going on.” I never paid too much attention to the drumming in this music until after I read this article and then I became fascinated with it. I then looked up some videos of pros playing this music and then I began to imitate it on Guitar Hero Drums. Sure, there fake drums but I was being told by people that I play quite well to many sorts of songs of this style of music.

My girlfriend left me in May; I wanted to buy something that makes me happy… Sure, converting from fake Guitar Hero Drums to Acoustic real drums (Squier Drum Set) took a bit but I quickly adapted and then I’m basically where I’m at now. I still continue to practice and improve my sound.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die_neckar View Post
As a child I was always fascinated by marching band drummers. A little older I played the Peter-Criss-solo on KISS Alive II on my airdrums (I positioned books like toms in an armchair in front of me). As a teenager I always stared at the drummer of the dance combo at the annual festival in my village while my parents were dancing to their music. And finally, with 20 years of age, I first time in my life sat behind a drumset of a friend who I met shortly before. I then played for about 5 years, had a teacher, did all the fetish about equipment, gigged here and there and I thought I could make it to a second Simon Phillips. All that was probably too much and too fast at the end, so I gave it up - until last year when I started again in my basement on a newly bought e-drumset (with headsets of course). Very slowly, very disciplined and it all came back pretty quick. Now, 41 years old, I try to avoid all the mistakes I did in the past. I feel things while drumming that I have not felt that time. It's great. I do not want to play in a band yet as I first want to reach a level where I feel confident enough. Let's see how long it will take - I have caught myself already looking at accustic sets...
I thought I'd share with this community how my revived ambitions as a drummer have evolved in the meantime: Now, I am a proud owner of a nice Gretsch with Masterwork cymbals and I love its sound. I bought it after I decided to look for a band because I felt the time was ripe for reaching the next step of exposing myself to other musicians in order to see where it takes me to. Shortly after the Gretsch was shipped to me, I joined a band that converts Rock & Pop classics into Jazz. Playing in this band is very pleasant and I can contribute my own ideas and creativity to the repertoire we are working on. I would even say that the decision to join this band was the best one I ever made. Instead of being expected to play originals as original as possible, I can modify and interpret the music and give it all a new spirit. And I even got in touch with brushes which is great fun - far more I could ever think of. I am learning... well, I am actually and thankfully forced to learn new grooves, licks and techniques in order to offer what the music in question needs and at the end there even is a nice new piece of music that the whole band is happy with. It appears that I did well in all that as the founder of this band (he has been playing, breathing and living guitar for more than 23 years in any thinkable genre) recently recommended me to another project he is involved in. I shall see where that takes me to. Being a drummer is sometimes a phantastic journey, isn't it?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimimila View Post
Music White Stripes
Drummer Meg White (yes, I do know that she is not great or anything, but I'm a no-frills kinda girl, so I love her straight-forward approach).
Person No one, really.
Style Undecided. Whatever you call the style of Steve Jordan and Cindy Blackman. I love that groove.
Inspirations Any time I hear "Icky Thump", I start pounding on my steering wheel. I'm a classical pianist (and I love it), but I've always felt I needed something to beat on.
do you find that playing drums destroys your hands for piano ?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 PM

Music - 90s rock & alternative
Drummer - Dave Grohl, Chad Sexton, & Dave Abbruzzese to name a few .
Person - My Parents and my Uncle who loaned me his drums to get me started.
Style - Rock/Funk
Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Music- Van Halen, TOTO (or almost anything Jeff played), RUSH.
Drummer- Saw Buddy Rich as a kid and knew if I were to play ANYTHING it had to be the drums!
Person- Eddie (last name?) lived next door was a session guy in NOLA and well, seemed like the time!
Style- I like Phil Collins' style and Alex Van Halen, mostly cymbal play by AVH.
Inspirations- Got together with a few guys in town and had such a good time just jammin that that is very addictive to get together and play some tunes and have a helluva good time.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:07 AM

My family bought me a toy drum set that the 'Solid Gold' dancers on the bass head when I was around eight years old. They put a Phil Collins tape in my Walkman (if you're old enough to know what that is lol) and I played along. I pretty much destroyed the toy kit within a couple days. Fast forward to the fifth grade when my father urged me to play trombone. I didn't want to at all since I had already been introduced to percussion and had given up practicing my piano etudes to bang on anything I could. Stuck with rudimental snare drum taking private lessons through elementary and high school leading the other drummers. Graduated h.s. and volunteered as drum instructor for a few years before heading to university where I met some of the greatest drummers in the world. Left school to run the family business but still play whenever I can. Currently in a local cover band with a female lead singer. Good times. Drum On!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 PM

My Dad used to play Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior album a lot when I was a kid. One day, something kinda clicked while listening to the first track off that album -- "Medieval Overture." There's a drum break at the beginning of that song where Lenny White just goes off! He does this blazingly fast beat followed by several immense roundhouse tom fills. I was hooked.

At that point, I started paying attention to the drums in everything I listened to. Steve Gadd's playing on "Nite Sprite" off Chick' Leprechaun album made quite an impact, as did his snare groove on Paul Simon's "50 Ways." And then a friend of mine gave me Exit Stage Left to listen to and my whole Peart obsession began.

That did it -- I was never in my right mind again. I assumed control of my sister's disused snare drum and started playing. Steve Gadd, Neil Peart, and Lenny White conspired to change my life, whether they knew it or not.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM

When I was still in diapers, I would beat on the side of the dishwasher with a rubber dogbone toy. My parents said it was in rhythm to whatever music was playing on the stereo at the time. So I guess I've known I had to drum since I was in diapers. I'm fortunate to have had parents who were extremely supportive of my musical endeavors, especially since I chose to play one of the loudest instruments around. (It helps that my mom's an amateur musician: pianist, organist, accordionist...yes, a damn good accordionist. POLKA!)

I was forced to take piano lessons from the spinster who lived next door before I was allowed to begin playing the drums. My mom told me, "You're not going to be one of those drummers who can't read music." Though I hated every minute of those lessons, I'm glad I took them. They gave me a musical foundation from which to build.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I woke up one very cold morning in darkness (-35 degrees celsius, northern Finland, 1982 or 1983), heating did not work as it should in our house...

For some reason I could not stop thinking about playing drums.

We had very artistic family, my scriptwriter-father asked help from his drummer friend what to do for this son who is going to spoil his life so early... His friend told, that there is no solution for this problem for living persons.

I found some new Export drums from local store... luckily during few years I was able to demolish them. I had even a book of drum playing, but no change to get any lessons... I tried to be out from school and stay home for playing, when other family members where doing their duties...

Then I bought my first new Rockstar -double-bass kit with too many parts... That ruined the whole practise and I tried to play with local bands of same age guys. I sold all drums after 10 years (girls, alcohol, friends, job, school etc). 2006 I got this neurotic disease again... Happily I have been recycling some kits of electronics drums and finally started to play with acoustics again, very happy with this.

I think that it does feel not so bad when not playing, as being adult drummer. I do not know why. :)
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM

For me, this was a no-brainer. My Dad was a drummer and singer in the "Big Band" era. He used to take me to the Peabody Hotel in Memphis when he was playing there in a stint with Ray Anthony's big band. Got to hang with the likes of Peggy Lee, the Dorsy brothers, Sinatra and oh so many others. I just got hooked. Later, he became a PR guy with RCA records and actually was the front man when RCA bought Elvis's contract from Sun Records. I got to hang out in the Sun studio for a few days and the seed was sprouted. Too many to list but in the space of a few days I saw Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Cark Perkins and a bunch of others and got to watch a few session tracks layed down. I asked Dad for the use of a second set of drums he had and he set them up in the garage for me and then spent a lot of hours with me. He wasnt a top tier drummer (more known for his singing than drumming) but was good enough to start me out. I was 12 at the time and by 14 I was playing with groups as a fill in for absent drummers. I actually played in a lot of venues that didnt allow anyone under 21 so my Dad would have to take me there and then talk to the owner/manager to make sure he knew it was alright for me to be there. Of course he knew most everyone so it wasnt really a problem. After high school, I went on the road with a couple of top 40 groups and at age 24 just stopped, went to college and then started a career outside of music. This year, well into my late 60's, I started playing again with a bunch from my office and we are having a blast. All over 50's guys that either played as pros when younger or who had taught themselves how to play guitar. They are just as hooked as I am again!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM

I tryed to play guitar but my short stubby fingers didn't make that the easiest for me. So when I was at a friends house it seemed no one ever had a drummer just alot of guitarists playing. So as soon as I was able to get a job I bought my first drum set & have never been happier.

I have way to much energy to just hold a guitar & play! So When I have all 4 limbs going at the same time all doing something differant... It's a wonderful feeling
Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator

I started as a guitarist (21 years of playing). Last year in Aug. it became apparent for me that to do some more realistic drum arrangements on an audio editor for my recording project I simply had to get into a drummer's mindset and get a deeper understanding (I had a lousy understanding of drumming until then) for grooves, patterns. So I started drumming (autodidact also) - or rather practicing drumming motions. Still no full kit. Well my drum arrangements improved quickly but then I focused on drum practice more than on playing the electric and acoustic guitar. Just recently I started practicing both worlds more or less balanced, having neglected my guitars for months in favour of practicing on pads (both hands and kick practice pad, double pedal).

As a guitarist (autodidact) I was already interested in technique so it was natural to get into the motions, learning both matched and trad, as many grips as I became aware of etc. I don't have plans to play real drums in a band (at least not for now), it's fun and a challenge to practice the motions. I'm glad that I discovered exactly the stuff/drummers in time to gradually and smoothly get into techniques. I think the very first steps when learning a new instrument are most important. I was fortunate in this regard.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

I was always "musical" but my parents wanted me to learn something more socially acceptable ( for that read quieter) but it's all I've ever wanted to do. I was a late starter at 13-14 but I've been playing for over 30 years now, 20 as a semi pro in functions and pub gigs. Not giving it up anytime soon!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

In 4th grade my best friend joined the school band and persuaded me to do it with him. I played the bells for the first year, and bass in 5th grade. Moved to the east coast the summer before 6th grade, and got a cheapie drum set called Rockwood for Christmas. Still using it, though I'm looking for a job (I'm 16) so I can buy a much, much better set. Looking back, probably the best decision ever!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

I grew up in a musical environment surrounded by hippies. My dad played several instruments and mom went to work. My uncle was a drummer in a really great blues band in the 70's (actually he's been playing in that band to this year). So I grew up watching him play the drums with his band. In fourth grade I started playing trombone and it was fun, but in 7th grade I decided I was going to play drums. My parents got me a cool Ludwig Ringo set. I never knew the value of that and promptly traded that 4-piece for some 7-piece mixed set. When I went to college I started playing guitar because I couldn't take my drums with me. I've never made any good money, been in some really cool bands, jammed with lots of great musicians, and just kept playing drums never giving them up completely for any extended period of time. Playing the drums is just the number one thing I enjoy doing as a hobby. I would have liked to make a career out of it, but never really had the opportunity to practice as much as I needed. I can hold my own, but there's always plenty of room for improvement. Nowadays it's hard for me to get a jam session together for various reasons, and bands are hard to keep together sometimes. So now I just jump at every chance I get to play the drums these days as long as the other musicians are pretty good too and there's somebody singing.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Actually, a friend of mine in Middle School. He played drums (no idea where he started, though) and let me bang on his kit whenever I went over. It was a used PDP with really nice Zildjian cymbals--I later bought a PDP kit, and then a used DW off of Craigslist--buy used!
My aunt also is an amazing guitarist, and they had a cheapo set that I now have and are trying to get rid of (Pulse). I played a few times with them, and it just felt right to be playing the drums... I dunno, they're just so FUN!

Bands: Hmm...Third Eye Blind, Weezer, Talking Heads...mostly rock bands.
Music: Doesn't matter. Right now I have had no formal lessons, so mostly rather "simple" stuff I guess. I would love to be able to play some nice Jazz, and rock.
People: Thank the tolerant neighbors I have had over the years. And my parents of course, and my sister.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Music- Less Than Jake, Circa Survive, Emery, The Early November, Finch
Drummer- I don't really look at drummers so much but the band they play in and how they fit in.
Style- Punk, Pop-Punk, Jazz, Rock, Alt Rock
Inspirations- My Family and Friends
Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 PM

I had taken both guitar and piano lessons when I was younger, and got bored quickly.
When I was 11 or so, we had to chose instruments for band class at school. I picked the trumpet (I have no idea why) and slaved away playing that for three years.
I like rock music, especially anything involving Dave Grohl, so it was really frustrating to me that I couldn't play any songs that I like. So I quit trumpet, and started taking drum lessons.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I started playing an old firewood cook stove, in a small North Ontario village when I was 10...A lot of neat sounds came off it.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Started a band with my guitar teacher, but after 3 drummers quit the band I figured "how hard can it be? I can count till 4!" and switched to drums myself. I managed pretty well, so I quit guitar lessons and started taking drumming lessons.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM

At first I was inspired by Green Day and Tré Cool but now I play Jazz and Funk and R&B.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Music: Hard rock
Drummer: Dave Grohl
Person: My brother; he's grade 8 in the U.K
Style: Usually hard rock, but when I do improv it can become a load of different things
Inspirations: Wanting to be more awesome than other drummers
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM

Music: Christian Contemporary and Alternative Rock
Drummer: Buddy Rich
Person: My Youth Pastor.
Style: Usually Christian Contemporary, but sometimes I'll put my iPhone on shuffle, so I'll play whatever comes on.
Inspirations: That moment when you have those Viv Firth 7A's in your hand, That moment when you put your headphones in, That moment when the world is listening to you, Yeah, That's where my inspiration comes from.

I'm mediocre, I've been playing for around a year. I have a Pearl Export, I have a 22" Sabian Ride, two 16" Sabian Crashes, and 14" Hi-Hats.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM

The 27th Lancers Drum & Bugle Corps, 1978.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Always had sticks around. Before that it was wooden spoons.

Grade school - mom took me to a house party her boyfriend was throwing. There was a cover band there, "Tundra". This had to be 1970 or so. I was 9 or 10. The drummer saw me standing, watching him play a black oyster 4pc Ludwig (sound familiar?).... he had the hang ten bare feet stenciled to the top of the white coated floor tom head. On their break, he called me over and let me sit behind the kit. Everyone marveled at the cute kid with the long hair who could play the drums. I just mimicked what he did. The band came back, I sat in for half of their return tune.

Jr High School - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting... knocked me out. Learned that tune on the pillows, then on boxes, then on buckets.

High School. The first time I head Bad Company's "Can't get enough of your love" - the drums just moved me in that tune, and I went out and put a deposit on a used Tama 5pc Imperial Star. Paid on it for months and months. Took it home 10 months after graduation - April 29, 1979 (still have the receipts). Johnny Thompson Music in Monterey Park, CA.

Have played every week, and mostly every day since.

-K
Old 03-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Why Drums? Barry Brandt (Angel) & Peter Criss(KISS).

While I was in the 5th grade KISS ALIVE II came out and I used to set up suitcases and beat on those like a drum kit. I could get a decent Bass and tom sound but no snare.

I was 23 before I had my first set of drums. They were a Pearl Export Pro 6 piece kit. I worked as a Law enforcement officer during that time. It wasn't long before i sold them. About 10 years later I had the opportunity to jam with some neighbors. They had a drum set but no drummer. I volunteered to help out until they found someone, but I ended up being a good fit I guess. We gigged out every weekend for 11 months straight. In that 11 months all of my gig money went into equipment. Now I play in a Classic rock cover band that is actually pretty awesome.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:32 AM

What got me into drum world? Having a drumkit in my house, without anyone playing.
The drumkit once belongs to a cousin, but he left Portugal and so, abandoning a old and beaten up drumkit.

I love music, so I bought a pair of drum stiks and beggining to try.

Music-Beatles, Kinks, White Stripes, Mojo Nixon, Rolling Stones, BRMC,Velvet Undergound
Drummer-Ringo, Meg White, Moe Tucker, Ringo, Mike Avory...
Person- Ringo and Meg White
Style- Rock n roll, Country, Folk, Cowpunk (yeah!!!)
Inspirations- Beatles (not only their music, but even the history behind the band).
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Got to thinking about this question last night... The strong interest was in the 70's hearing ELP. The real turning point in my life was when I saw Genesis live in concert in 1983. The musicality of Chester Thompson & Phil Collins cemented it in my mind for good.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 PM

I'd have to say my initial realization took place in my 1st or 2nd grade era when I would listen to Classic Rock in the car with my pops
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Bonzo and Grohl, obviously picked up other inspiration along the way. But those two made drumming what is it for me. About being at the front of the stage while sitting at the back.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:36 PM

i always tapped with my fingers and feet... one day i just decided to try it and it just clicked
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-likes-drums View Post
Bonzo and Grohl, obviously picked up other inspiration along the way. But those two made drumming what is it for me. About being at the front of the stage while sitting at the back.
i second bonham and dave
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM

Believe it or not, a video game. I started playing Rock Band when I was 9 years old after our family bought it as a birthday present for my brother, and five years later, here I am playing drums for real! Starting at an early age really helped me develop my chops and technique. Drumming on my legs in classes I didnt really like helped as well haha.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM

I got sick of being a dime a dozen guitarist who has to compete with all these other guitarist trying out for bands. Being a drummer really narrows the field!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:55 PM

When I was about 2 weeks old and started to crie my father took me and listened to old DEEP PURPLE vinyls with me. Then I stopped crying and listened to the songs...
He's a big PURPLE fan... After a few years he told me some stories about DEEP PURPLE and what he've seen on their concerts and so on. He always told me about the drummer, Ian Paice. When I was 11 years old I went to my daddy and said "Hey, dad. I wanna do this, too! I want to be a drummer!" and then I started to play in a music school. And the story still rolls on ;)

<a href=http://www.facebook.com/adoneyrocks target=_blank>www.facebook.com/adoneyrocks</a>
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM

When my dad bought his first set since 93', he let me play it, and I did not want to get off I was six at the time. I got my first set at seven, and I have played just about everyday since!