DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

When I was a wee lad I loved playing on toy drums. Granted, I always broke them, but it was out of use, not just because I was destructive.

My percussive activites stalled for years, until I bought Rock Band 2 in December of 2008 and picked it up pretty quickly. It felt a lot more natural than the guitar, and I finally decided to stop playing games and make the leap to real drums last week.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
When I was a wee lad I loved playing on toy drums. Granted, I always broke them, but it was out of use, not just because I was destructive.

My percussive activites stalled for years, until I bought Rock Band 2 in December of 2008 and picked it up pretty quickly. It felt a lot more natural than the guitar, and I finally decided to stop playing games and make the leap to real drums last week.
That's great. Welcome to the club.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Haha, everyone says those games are ruining "real music", but I disagree. They offer a cheap and fun way for people to feel what it's like to play instruments without making the investment. Then, if they like the idea of playing (as opposed to just the challenge of the game), they'll make the hop.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Music- Zeppelin
Person- My teacher
Style- Jazz, Funk
Inspirations- Bonham, Moore
Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post

Rockband is what got me started back into music itself, drums was what was left after the other positions were taken by my friends. Then I realized that I was better at it either way.

D*mn, I had fun.

With both of my parents as music teachers, it wasn't hard to find good support for the pursuit.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 AM

I think I was always destined to be a drummer from the days of smashing on pots and pans as a toddler!

When I was about 12 I saw a guy absolutely ripping it up on a drum kit at a school and at the end he said anyone interested could get lessons with him. I'd just given up on my Karate which my parents sort of forced me into doing, and said to my parents I'd quite like to play drums. I think they were a bit apprehensive at first but said I could do a few lessons. Absolutely loved it so for my birthday they bought me a basic drum set and I've tried to drum for every possible moment since then (10th year of drums now!), and I can never imagine being without drums now!

I have tried picking up guitar a couple of times (even around the same time I took up drums) but I can never seem to find the same enthusiasm that I did when I took up drums, or that I have for drumming now. I think I found my main passion in life!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Sesame Street music interludes.

Mike Veny

Unleash Your Groove™

MikeVeny.Com
FastDrumSkills.Com
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

My family bought me a toy snare drum when I was three. When I was five years old I would drag fire wood into my bedroom closet and play them with my hands. Then in 1975 I heard Buddy Rich. After watching him play I know I would be a student for life! Thanks Buddy!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:03 AM

I saw a marching band when I was about 10 and was HYPNOTIZED by the drum section. I HAD to do it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 PM

When i was like a young girl growing up i idolised Avril Lavigne ahah (may be embarassing to some but whatever i thought she was awesome)
and i wanted to be able to play along to her songs like she did, as at the time she was the only mainstream artist on the tv doing so. So i started teaching myself guitar then i wanted to be able to play drums too. I got lessons in drums and then took off from there.

Music-Skater Boy by Avril was the song i was DETERMINED to be able to play aha
Drummer- Matthew Brann, canadian drummer who toured with av back in the day, i knew nothing about drummers or different styles when i was like 12 so he was who i aspired to be.
Person- my drum tutor derek was an awesome guy/teacher/mentor/friend
Style- anything catchy
Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 AM

when my dad went to the music store to get piano music... when i was a little kid all i wanted to do was go to the drums department at this place called mars music.... i joined the band in 5th to play snare just to get out of reading and drumming became my high
Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 AM

New to the board, in fact this is my first post I think. I was glad to read some others, because I felt stupid that Rock Band playing is what inspired me. But it had nothing to do with high scores, impressing people, or that I was really good at it naturally. I enjoyed that glimpse of what it was like to make music.

Thinking back since, I remember waiting for the bus in 5th, 6th grade watching kids getting ready for marching band practice and loving listening to the drum guys warm up and fool around.

I was never exposed to music as a kid, and now am 39. I figured what the hell, I love listening to music, time to try making it. After a little time on practice pads and a $150 electric kit, I just bought a 6-piece OCDP avalon set, hardware comes in next week, and I am going to get this show going.

We'll see...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM

It was 1968 and I saw Ginger Baker on the T.V. with Cream, and that was it. I started with a 20 quid Olympic kit that I got on H.P. It was crap but it was a start
Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 PM

As a child I was always fascinated by marching band drummers. A little older I played the Peter-Criss-solo on KISS Alive II on my airdrums (I positioned books like toms in an armchair in front of me). As a teenager I always stared at the drummer of the dance combo at the annual festival in my village while my parents were dancing to their music. And finally, with 20 years of age, I first time in my life sat behind a drumset of a friend who I met shortly before. I then played for about 5 years, had a teacher, did all the fetish about equipment, gigged here and there and I thought I could make it to a second Simon Phillips. All that was probably too much and too fast at the end, so I gave it up - until last year when I started again in my basement on a newly bought e-drumset (with headsets of course). Very slowly, very disciplined and it all came back pretty quick. Now, 41 years old, I try to avoid all the mistakes I did in the past. I feel things while drumming that I have not felt that time. It's great. I do not want to play in a band yet as I first want to reach a level where I feel confident enough. Let's see how long it will take - I have caught myself already looking at accustic sets...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 PM

John Densmore and the variety of genres drums offer you to play.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 PM

What got me interested/started … actually playing bass

I get to play with a lot of different drummers and was always asking them about and learning about the gear … Four years ago I hooked up with Memphis own W.C. Garrison who has been playing professionally in the Memphis area since 1965, we work as a rhythm section know as Blackkat Bone (kinda like SRV and Double Trouble) we have a great interaction. At about the time I started working with W.C. I was dating a lady that ran a bellydance troupe and they worked with a master doumbek drummer … what he could do with just one drum was inspirational (and you got to watch bellydancers).

Then one night I got to watch Big Harry Peel work his magic on his trademark kit … snare, kick, hats, and one cymbal … all I can say is WOW I gotta try this drum stuff before I kick the bucket.

The bare essentials ( my version of the Big Harry Peel kit)

Me on bass with WC who is using my kit in this picture ...

And that is the story so far ...
Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I played guitar a lot in high school, and would play my drummer's drums whenever I got the chance. Never got far beyond money beats, and basic variations of them, but it was fun. Then about 10 years ago I started noticing the drums a lot more than I used to in the music that I listened to (mainly because I got obsessed with Tool).

But the straw that broke the camel's back was rockband/guitar hero. When the game finally started getting old, after over a year of obsessively "playing the drums" I decided to try it out for real (about 2 months ago, at the age of 35).
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 PM

I always liked musical instruments(espically drums) growing up,

My first year of high school I was introduced to "music class" an loved it,
I then got to see one of the metal bands play at school which was the first time I had ever seen live music,
I loved the whole idea of a group of friends all playing instruments to create songs,
My first influence towards choosing drums was lars ulrich after buying my first ever cd(metallica's st anger) and knew that's the type of music I wanted to play

So I bugged my parents for a drumkit for my 13th birthday:)

PEARL ELX BLACKBURST
ZILDJIAN
REMO
GIBRALTAR
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 AM

I am now 6 months into my drumming journey and I am really loving it...now I have got the ridiculous idea in my head that I want to try and make cymbals...or a single cymbal...from scratch...which may be a challenge...
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM

As a child i always had a calling for drums. From their size, look and different sounds, i was amazed. I didn't own a set growing up, so i remember always practicing on things around the house hahaha. I also never got any professional lessons, so i learned by really watching other drummers in church and trying to figure out their stance and positioning of their limbs. Now, i have gained some exposure as a drummer for my former church, and purchasing an electric set years ago. Also, i purchased my Ddrum d2 kit about a year ago, which i am slowing upgrading and practicing everyday. For a guy with no professional tutors & lessons, i know i am a pretty good drummer, and i keep an open mind in improving even more.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Started drumming back when joing grade 8 band. I only got serious about drumming when I first got into the song Hell's Kitchen by Dream Theater. It was pretty inspirational in my mind, still is really. I've just graduated and I'm hoping to find a drum tutor because I'm basically self taught (My music teacher knew nothing much about drumming). Glad to meet you all.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys

I started drumming in 2006 when I was ten years old. When I first started I wasn't really interested but a few months in I was watching videos of Buddy Rich on YouTube and tried to get one handed drum rolls. My best-friend started playing pipe-band snare in a pipe-band when I was in high school. We sat up the back of the classroom and in French we'd sit and do paradiddles and windmill strokes. Really fun (we passed French too haha).

I started playing along with Music in 2008. I started by playing with AC/DC to get my timing and technique strong. Guns 'N' Roses to get fills right and The Fratelli's for fun. 2009 was the year when my drumming changed and I tried to play bands like Slayer with one pedal. I could nearly get the full speed of Raining Blood and a band at school asked me to join. Soon after I left the band as I got fed up with Thrash Metal and started listening to Grunge. Dave Grohl has since then been one of my biggest influences. Meeting Taylor Hawkins at the beggining of the year was also a great day and he told me about the next Foo Fighters CD. Bonzo is also a great influence and I use his techniques with triplets etc.

Thanks guys
Chris
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM

About 15 years ago I played bass in a band. Our drummer got a girlfriend and started missing practice. I started playing then (2 guitars, drums). After a while we just found another bass player and I stuck with drums full time.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Really? I never replied to this thread? I've told the story (in bits and pieces) elsewhere, but I guess never here.

I decided when I was about seven or so that I wanted to play music, and since I hadn't really been introduced to much popular music at the time, the only musicians I really knew about were my schoolmates who were learning instruments at the time. The coolest instrument looked to be the trumpet, since it got all the melody lines. So I gave that a crack for a couple of years, but I didn't have the lips for it. My teacher was bluntly honest, said I would have a really tough go as a trumpet player, but I had a really noticeable knack for music in general, and to try another instrument. So I transitioned to saxophone as I entered junior high school, but then my world was turned upside down by rock and roll. My best friend started playing the guitar, and seeing as none of the hard rock or metal bands we emulated had saxophones in them, I picked up the bass. I was decent at it, but there were very few drummers in our school and we sounded pretty weak for just two of us. I grabbed a pair of drumsticks and started teaching myself how to play the drums, and went in halves with my parents for a beat-up old drumset. I enjoyed it more than any of the other instruments, so I kept at it. Twenty-five years later, here I am.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM

First tried following in my old mans footsteps in playing guitar....SUCKED. Sucked so bad I hated it and got bored with it. Then was always beatin on the table along to songs and whatnot, and my parents said "Dammit were gettin you a drum set so you stop bangin on the table!" Lol little did they know the bangin on the table would never really go away =P and I was just more of a natural learner of the drums, and have grown immensely these last 6 1/2 years Ive played!
reverbnation.com/vitosus
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

My love for drums awoke at the same time my musical awakening happened, I was just a normal kid, listening to radio, mainstream type of music, then one day I heard Master of Puppets and everything changed, that music was so different from everything I had ever heard, i fell in love with it and I knew from that moment I wanted to play music and I was just attracted to the drums, it took a couple of years after that but I finally got myself a cheap drumset and I haven't looked back since.

That was almost six years ago, currently I'm beggining my music studies at college, something I am very exited about.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:57 PM

I remeber watching Queen play Radio GaGa live on tv when I was a kid. I was just really mesmerised by the whole band, but especially seeing Roger Taylor on drums. He wasn't playing anything really complex, but he just looked cool! I started lessons shortly after that.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 PM

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my Mum was part of a street drumming band thing. There was about 20 of them and they would be split into different groups, Snare, Tom1, Tom2, and Bass, and hit 'em all with beaters. It was really cool to hear the stuff they made. So one time I was taken to their practice and I picked up some sticks and started hitting the snare. Apparently I was a natural, So I played snare with them for about 2 years. Basically consisting of rhythms and stuff. But then after we left the city, I gave up drumming for a while, untill I got to secondary school, and someone asked me stuff I had done in the past. And when I told them that, they insisted I join their band!
First (and last!) practice, we played Night Train by Guns 'n' Roses. Suffice to say, it was pretty crap. But that was my first proper time on a full drum kit. And it was alot of fun! So here I am!
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDrums View Post
The marching band that always played in our town at special occasions, when I was 10 I really wanted to play with them so I started taking lessons. And a few years later I got to play with them which was alot of fun :D

After a few years of doing that I got my first drumkit and started playing along to songs. I started with alot of Rock/Punk Rock which a few years later got me interested in Metal.

Nowadays I get inspired by bands such as Tool, Soilwork and Machine Head.
I technically started in 4th grade band when I just chose drums randomly. I originally had barely any desire to play, but I had to do band. I was stuck learning rudiments and snare technique from a trombone player who attempted to teach traditional grip and it was just a whole mess.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 AM

I got into drumming by mistake actually. I am a guitar player and back a few years ago we had a little Metallica tribute band here in Erie, PA. It was called MILITIA. you can see us on youtube. we have fade to black up and am i evil. we played a battle of the bands and there was this one fan that loved us so the video is us playing at his birthday party..im the guitar player with the white v. but anyways when we got our little band together our drummer was way into grind core and death metal. so i had to tech him all the Metallica tunes...and i realized i was pretty damn good at it. so after we quite the covers we started our own band and fired our drummer due to his person problems...but i became the drummer. so i stumbled into drummer by mistake. Its been great...love drumming!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

As a kid, I was made to take organ lessons for about 4 years. I was never very good at it but learned to read music, did well enough to play in church a couple of times but that's it. It was definitely never something that came natural to me. Not much happened musically after that.

I've always been a HUGE music lover but as a teenager couldn't afford to go to hardly any concerts. But in about 1983, my brother took me to see Rush at the Cleveland Colliseum and seeing Neil Peart and his "drums in the round" is something I'll never forget.

Flash forward to about 2 years ago and I was finally in a place in my life that I could afford to go see some concerts. Every concert we went to, I found myself always being drawn to the drummers and "air-drumming" along with them. We've seen some great concerts in the last couple of years...Jeff Beck, Clapton, Daltrey, the last 2 Ringo's All Starrs to name a few... and it didn't matter who the headliner was, it was the drummer that I would watch the most.

Watching Daltrey's drummer, Scott Devours, probably was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I came out of that concert (Clapton, Daltrey) talking more about Scott then anyone else. I was mesmerized and I knew then that I had to one day learn to play the drums.

Long story short (I know, too late) last Wednesday at the ripe old age of 43, I began my lessons. I've never been so excited about anything in my life. I don't know if I'll be any good as a drummer, but I sure do intend having a blast finding out!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM

My older brother brought a kit to the house when I was about 10 or so, which I would play when he wasn't around to beat me up for playing his drums. After a couple years, he abandoned the drums and I took them over, as my friends were starting to play guitar and needed a drummer. Prior to getting the kit, my kit for jams was paint cans and buzz saw blades balanced on broken drumsticks for cymbals and an aluminum tv dinner tray for the snare, sounded great actually. My first guitarist's family was good friends with a blues/jazz trombone player named Clarence "Big" Miller, and he gave me lots of great advice when I was a wee laddie.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:16 PM

The Beatles got me started on music in general and drums in particular.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Though I'm primarily a guitar player, I've always been interested in the drums. I guess it started when I went to Players' School of Music about 10-11 years ago. I went down to Sam Ash to get me some Aebersold books and for some reason I also left with a practice pad, a pair of Erskine Ride sticks as well as Buddy Rich's "Modern Iterp.." and the Dennis Chambers "Serious Moves" book. Had no plan really. Just picked the sticks up now and then.

When I started looking for a job, I sort of knew I would have to teach drums as well, and knowing how bad a job most multi-instrument teachers do with drummers, I thought I'd do something about that. I started taking lessons, bought just about every book and dvd I heard was good, and got a bit hooked.

I enjoy learning new things in general, in all sorts of fields, and these days I spend as much time with the drums as I used to do with the guitar.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM

My cousin inspired me to get into drums.
We both starting out marching, he started 1 year before I did.
But I went with him to his rehersal, and I decided I wanted to give it a try.

17 years later, I'm still drumming away
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Listening to too much Joey Jordison (Slipknot, Wednesday 13, Murderdolls, Rob Zombie, etc).

Also, listening to Thin Lizzy's Sha la la la and thinking "yeah I'm gonna play Downey's drum solo one day"
Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Music - Led Zeppelin. I literally went from pop music to this in one day. That same day I wanted to be a drummer! I never ever thought about drumming or drummer until I heard the Physical Grafitti album. Got the Zep dvd and was blown away!
Drummer - John Bonham
Person - John Bonham then later drum teacher
Style - Classic rock
Inspirations- John Bonham
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
My love for drums awoke at the same time my musical awakening happened, I was just a normal kid, listening to radio, mainstream type of music, then one day I heard Master of Puppets and everything changed, that music was so different from everything I had ever heard, i fell in love with it and I knew from that moment I wanted to play music and I was just attracted to the drums, it took a couple of years after that but I finally got myself a cheap drumset and I haven't looked back since.

That was almost six years ago, currently I'm beggining my music studies at college, something I am very exited about.
That's pretty much my story!! It's weird how you happily go along with the pop music crap then BAM everything changes :D
Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 AM

Music- The Beatles
Drummer- Ringo Starr
Person- Cousin
Style- Normally rock, but I'm getting into jazz.
Inspirations- I played rock band, actually. I thought it was really fun and that surprisingly gave me a pretty good foundation of the very basics of drumming.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Music White Stripes
Drummer Meg White (yes, I do know that she is not great or anything, but I'm a no-frills kinda girl, so I love her straight-forward approach).
Person No one, really.
Style Undecided. Whatever you call the style of Steve Jordan and Cindy Blackman. I love that groove.
Inspirations Any time I hear "Icky Thump", I start pounding on my steering wheel. I'm a classical pianist (and I love it), but I've always felt I needed something to beat on.