DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 05-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

Hi everyone!

At my web site, I have an 'About' page describing a little bit about what the site's about, and a little blurb about me. I decided to expand on that and write an article about my 'drumming' life, that I hope you all will find interesting. Here's the link to the article:

The Paradiddler - Origins

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 AM

my dad got me started at the tender age of 6 and started teaching me stuff more and more everyday. i remeber that after only 1 weeks i was playing one handed rolls!!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 PM

my buddy had one and he let me play sumtimes. then i saved up some cash and bought one.
Daniel Williams TDWP
Jordan Mancino AILD
Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Music, just becoming a good musician and good drummer

Passion for Music
Dedication.

and a heap of other things

Drums for Life.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth_ony View Post
That ONE fill in Stairway to Heaven.

it still gets me, every time.
That fill during the bridge...yes. bonham made me wanna play and bonham is who i try to play like. along with other inspirations like keith moon, mitch mitchell, and stewart copeland.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 AM

Envy I guess, a classmate had a drumset and he sucked at drums so bad... He always took it to music class and he wouldn't let me play his drumset at all (and he let others ''play'' it) and that just made me so mad, I started air drumming using screwdrivers as drumsticks (that was the closest I would get to a drumstick at the time) at home some time before that ''incident''. Basically what started me I guess it was this douche that just let me play once and Queen's ''Fat Bottomed Girls'' huuge and exagerate fill, I just love it xD
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

A natural urge to hit things. Is that bad? :)
Do click and rate and shiz.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 AM

Me The Paradiddler again!

I stated previously that I have an extended 'About' on my web site, and the link to part one is above. I've posted part 2 of the origins of The Paradiddler there. Here's the link:

The Paradiddler - Origins, Part 2

There's a link to part one at the bottom of the post. Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Well, my mom had all the old Beatles albums and that started me on my love of rock'n'roll. Then, growing up in the 1970's, many of the cartoons featured the characters playing in bands: Josie and the Pussycats, The Archies, Fat Albert, The Partridge Family in Space, The Brady Kids (I'm not making these up),,.. I always thought the drummers seemed the coolest--especially Jughead on The Archies. So, when I got to 5th grade and could play in school band, I chose the drums. Not knowing any other real drummers by name yet, Ringo became my favorite. Later I really dug John Bonham, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Neil Peart, etc. Since my teen years were the 80's I got into all the loud, bombastic, fast metal drummers. Now, though, I prefer to keep it simpler and play what compliments the song. Looking back at some of the bands I played in during my younger years, I realize I was hijacking the songs with my fancy stuff.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM

Led zep's stairway to heaven! my ma practically raised me listening to led zep in the car, and whenever stairway came on, i was determined to nail that starting drum fill :P always found myself air drumming frantically rather than air guitaring and when i was about 9 or 10 i really got into reading up on drummers and drooling over cymbal catalogues, despite having never laid a stick on a head in my life! then when i got to secondary school, we got letter sent around asking if we wanted to start learning how to play an instrument and low and behold the drums were on the list! i guess the rest is history, 8 years on and im still going strong
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 AM

my brother.yay.
and then i started to play in my church i go to.
then now im in a band.yep.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Well, I grew up in a house filled with music, my dad was in a couple of southern gospel bands, and owned home studio. So i would always be surrounded with music. As a child I was always fascinated with the drums, playing on the clients drumsets, and playing every sunday after church. So my parents finally recognized my interest and bought me a tama stagestar. I played the heck out of that set. My father taught me, not how to play the drums, but how to go out and buy DVD's. I've never taken a lesson, Just worked with my dad in the studio and watched teaching DVD's. I owe my fascination to my father and all the great drummers out there!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 PM

Funny story actually. I entered in a lucky draw and actually won some money. It wasn't much, but money is money. I remember how I didn't know what to do with it, and just got this urge to buy a drum kit. So I bought an second hand set with the money, sat infront of the kit and learned myself to play, until, 2 years later, I got some lessons.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM

i'm a big fan of listening to music.Later i just wanted to make my own music and my school had a band so i thought i might as well play the drums my favorite drummer if joey jordison from slipknot
Old 07-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums) Rock & Roll-The Who,Beatles ,Stones,Zeppelin,Clash,Eagles,Fleetwood Mac,Steely Dan.
Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums) Keith Moon~ Ringo Starr.
Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums) High School friend who also played drums
Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums) Anything with a groove..Kick-Hi Hat-Snare..Its all about the groove . I realized a long time ago I'm not Neil Peart..lol!
Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)
My refusal to comform to the corporate 9-5 gig.(I have a decent gig in radio) . Cant take this skill away from me ..I learned how to play on my own ..
Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 AM

Hmmm a lot of things. music was always in our house and im thankful for that i guess. my dad played everything from the piano to the violin (well, i guess the way he played it it was a fiddle). As long as i can remember my mother sang. step brothers that played guitar, all my family members played some sort of stringed instrument. guess i wanted to be different.

even as a lil kid i remember always watching the drummer of any type of band i saw. i used to stay up late so i could flip between lettrerman and carson to see if either of the bands were playing or they had a musical guest...so oddly enough, they were influences to me (well, the drummers). i learned a lot watching anton figg on letterman. guess my biggest influence was a local kid named brian watkins. he played in one of my dads bands when i was real young...he was a few years older than me so i always looked up to him.

What got me started? my dad forking over some cash to buy me a cheap set of NEW slingerlands and some sabian b8's. probably around 1980 ish?? it was a hunk of money back then, there was no internet deals (or internet for that matter)...just full on retail prices. He did it anyway...gotta love him forever for that.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Almost all of my favorite bands have phenomenal drummers that get a ton of freedom, and I find that what they do has a huge effect on the songs as a whole. Also, I need to learn another instrument and I don't want to learn guitar.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM

I need to learn another instrument, and I love drums. My favorite bands all have wonderful drummers, and I think drums sound and look cool.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Music- the first rock bands I ever really listened to were christian rock bands because thats just what my dad listened to alot and i would just play there songs over our amp systems and drum along
Drummer- The first drummer that I was really inspired by when I got serious about drumming was WUV from P.O.D
Person- My dad is a really good guitar player and can play other instruments and he taught me how to play the basic beat on our drumset one day and from then it slowly grew on.
Style- At first the only style I really even wanted to play was rock but about 2 years ago I started getting into funk and latin styles of drumming after listening to drummers such as Thomas Lang and Benny Greb.
Inspirations- I learned how to play drums when I was 6 years old but didn't really get into it until I saw the movie School of Rock because it made me want to start my own band.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:59 AM

Music- I always liked the 80's music and that's what I've been listening to my entire life. (I'm 18)
Drummer- The first drummer I really liked was Max Weinberg from the E Street Band (Bruce Springsteen) I started playing drums after listening to Born in the U.S.A.
Style- I prefer just plain old rock and roll. (Classic Rock)
Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM

My primary roll in music is playing Bass in a Blues/Blues Rock trio.
The drummer in my band, is my real inspiration a great blues/R&B player
on the Memphis scene, who has been at it since 1965 W.C Garrison!
I got into drums (just getting started at 55) from working with so many drummers, always asking about their kits and sound.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM

I come form a family of musicians. i have some here in the US. and in Mexico. I have one uncle who has is Mariachi band and another who played in a Banda. I their sons(my cousins) play also. one the sousaphone and another the "vihuela". thats a small like 5 string guitar which is not palyed like a guitar.

With that said, i guess Its in my blood to play music. Why the drums? cuz i like to bang. lol. i really dont know just liked them as long as i can remember. I play Norteno Music. Mexican regional music with accordion and a bajo sexto.

Adrian.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Location: A black hole which produces blinding pulses of visible light.

My 2 older brothers both played drums, i looked up too them and started playing at about 6 years old im 17 now :D.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Hey guys and gals new her on the forum, i've been playing drums at school for about 6 years now and playing the drumset for 4 1/2 years.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:12 AM

I was an Electrician in San Diego after getting out of the Navy in 1959. I went to a club one night and there was a talent show. I got up and Sang my little heart out. The Band leader was Kenny Vernon. ( He opens for Haggard now and plays lead Guitar.) He said to me, " Where in the Hell did you come from?" I have been looking for a Tenor singer to back me in my Buck Owens Tunes. You are Don Rich Yes!!. I said no, I am "Curly" from San Diego. He asked me if I played Drums and I said, "No" Would you like to play drums? I said Ok. He showed me how to lay down a Shuffle beat and a 2x4 beat. Dont make any rolls or any fills. Just play and sing. For a month I sat in for a set on Saturday night. Three months later we opened in Las Vegas at the Golden Nuggett backing Carl Perkins. Soon we were singing all over Vegas and on the Road. We must have backed up every star out of Nashville in the coming years. We made it back to San Diego to the Westerner, The 21 Club, Brown Bear, Back to LA to the Palomino Club with Johnny Bush, Buddy Emmons, Marty Robbins etc etc. After a while the Band changed and every one went their own way. I found a job with the Federal Government and retired. But I am still trying to play them rolls he would not let me do. Ha.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Hi my names Tom and im new here...
just to say that going to see Travis Barker live, and playing a game called Rock Band made me intrested in the hole idea of keeping the band in beat, and how expresive this instrument is. i now have lessons at school and hour a week, and ive been playing for 5 months now and its looking promising !!!

cheers
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Started a cover band my sophomore year in high school playing bass, and the drummer quit - sold me his drum set and it all went down-hill from there.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM

Hi :)
I'm Coco and I'm new to the forum - I was looking for advice on the internet on cleaning my cymbals and found this place.
Well I started playing seven years ago, which is quite scary because I don't think I'm that good... Well, I'm very good at keeping a groove and backing other people, but I have a bit of a mental barrier on improvising.
I kind of stumbled into playing, but I absolutely LOVE it now. I gave up playing the violin because I was truly terrible - I played for 5/6 years, did grade 1 and only passed. Anyway, my older brother of 11 months had just given up playing drums, so we had an unplayed kit in our house. To be honest it was quite terrible, but I loved playing it. I didn't really had a proper teacher, and didn't I feel it when I moved up to senior school! I spent a year changing my technique and it was awful. I played nice kits at school, decided I hated mine, and bought a Sonor Force 3007, which I absolutely ADORE. So now I'm so much better at practicing, because I understand how to fix my kit...
I suppose I'm quite unusual in my outlook on drumming - I don't watch bands and copy them. I'm definitely quite musical and I don't want to be in a band. I prefer orchestral stuff and tuned percussion. Kit is what I started with and it's brill, but my sight-reading is good enough for other stuff.
I want to take grade 7 kit this year, but I'm a little unsure on which exam board to take. I felt more comfortable with Trinity Guildhall, because everything's written out (I managed a merit at G4 with barely any practise) and struggle with rockschool because of my improvising-phobia (got pass for G6 after heaps of practice). I'm quite happy with my progress really - did grade four aged 13, grade 6 at 14 and want to do grade 7 at 15...

Anyway, I think that's enough. Just a little introduction xx
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM

My parents bought me a kit when I was 10 because I was always tapping on things. A year later, I read Virgil Donati's Modern Drummer cover story, and that was it for me. I had to be a drummer, and I had to get good! Still nowhere near as good as I'd like to be, though...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 PM

my dad, when i found out that he was the first DW endorsee of australia ever! it sort of pumped me up i guess.hahaha
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

My Grandfather, he played drums, he was a cool dude.
Then I found out that girls like drummers and well... enough said!!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:12 PM

My son Jared.
Growing up I always loved music of all kinds and wanted to play the drums. I bought a pair of sticks about 25 years ago but never did much with them but tap on the furniture a bit. Fast forward to 2007 and Jared gets in the school band as a percussionist. His second year he is in the fifth grade jazz band playing the drums almost exclusively. I go to his first concert not expecting much because we don't have a drum set and he doesn't seem to practice much and I am blown away by how well he does. In my excitement my wife and I go out and buy our first kit making sure it is sturdy enough for me to play too and the rest is, as they say, history. We both play and take lessons and I am loving it!

"Swing them to death".
Art Blakey
Old 11-02-2009, 06:13 AM

I technically started in 4th grade band when I just chose drums randomly. I originally had barely any desire to play, but I had to do band. I was stuck learning rudiments and snare technique from a trombone player who attempted to teach traditional grip and it was just a whole mess.

2 summers later, I was butchering some bass at my camp, and I figured why not try a drum lesson. Best decision I made. Once I was able to play the basic rock beat, I just felt some sense of accomplishment. It wasn't much, but at the time, it felt amazing. Since then, I was hooked. I started playing in my middle school the next year, my parents bought me a set, and I eventually started a "band" with some friends. Next came lessons, moving from a guy at the music store to a real teacher to now the collective. I also just played along to anything, trying to learn as many styles as I could. I had just as much fun grooving as playing YYZ.

It's been many, many years later, and I still love playing, learning, and just having fun. It all goes back to that one lesson at the camp. Unfortunately, I've been told that my technique really, really needs work because of the guy in 4th grade, but I don't mind.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

The marching band that always played in our town at special occasions, when I was 10 I really wanted to play with them so I started taking lessons. And a few years later I got to play with them which was alot of fun :D

After a few years of doing that I got my first drumkit and started playing along to songs. I started with alot of Rock/Punk Rock which a few years later got me interested in Metal.

Nowadays I get inspired by bands such as Tool, Soilwork and Machine Head.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 AM

me seeing Nicko McBrain play from concert videos i saw, that and his awesome kit
im completely self taught, drums came to me quite naturally, been playing for about 5 years and its going well i can say
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 PM

My cousin James. He was my childhood hero - I had to try everything he tried. He had gotten hooked on drums around age 12, so I followed suit. He quickly "outgrew" it - I've continued to love drums for the last 25 years...
Old 12-14-2009, 01:19 AM

An old buddy of mine who played guitar (I also did at the time) taught me a simple rock beat and I realized "this is where I belong" and have been playing intensely ever since.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 AM

when i was 7 there was a drumset in my church, i pretty much knew how to do it right when i sat behind them lol
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 AM

My dad offered to pay for drum lessons for the first year if I cut my hair. I cut it, and grew it back!

Sucker!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Playing on pots and pans, making my parents crazy. They said that I had to start in a marching band to get drums, since they thought I would outgrow. So, when I was 15-16 I bought my first drumkit, and I'm still playing to this day.