DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Introduce Yourself

Old 11-21-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: The "how" thread

Music- My friends just rocking-out and of course bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and many others

Drummer-
i guess it would have to have been Bonham

Person-
my parents bought me my first wine red Ludwig kit

Style- currently is Jazz when i'm alone, but my friends and i play anything around rock, punk and/or ska

Inspirations-
Norman, didn't helped me into drums, but has given me a foundation of learning and experience that, without, i would be unfortunately crippled in my playing
Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Not sure, my family has always been in the music scene--drums just always were so cool to me.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Realized i couldn't and wanted the challenge.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 AM

My two favourite things:
- sitting down
- hitting things
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Music-Blink 182, Box Car Racer, Red Hot Chili Peppers (boy have i changed since then)

Drummer-Travis Barker, again a significant change to now.

Person-My friends, all musicians and i guess i just wanted to join the crowd.

Style-Band wise, rock, but for most of it i do anything!

Inspiration-To be regarded by muisicians and no-musical people alike.

Dave
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 PM

The first time I started was in 6th grade, but I stopped playing for about a year and a half between 8th and 9th grade, so I really had two sets of "hows"

1st
Music - The Who, Jimi Hendrix Experience, AC/DC, The Beatles.

Drummer - Didn't know any

Person - Nobody

Style - Classic Rock

Influence - Banging on stuff, sort of whimsical

2nd
Music - Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Aerosmith, John Mayer Trio

Drummer - John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell

Person - My friend who played guitar and was looking for a drummer to jam with

Style - Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, Funk, Pop (the good kind).

Influence - My original drum teacher was my high school music teacher and he asked if I wanted to start playing again. I said yes just because I didn't want to say no to him but then got really into drumming again, especially when I was able to start playing actual songs with other musicians as opposed to just playing beats by myself.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:33 AM

Having nothing to do during lunch, and a friend of mine teaching me some basic rhythms so we could "jam" with him on gueetar.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

the Blue Man Group. and me and my friend wanting to be rockstars..lol

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

the fact that i sucked at guitar inspired me to try something else.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM

I think for me it was just one of those things that happened naturally. I didn't actually start to play until I was about 14 but my parents always told me that when I was a baby I would hit pots and pans and such and one of the drummers from my parents band gave me a pair of drumsticks when I was reeeaaallly young. The band guys they played with always said I would be a drummer so I guess you could say it was a natural progression in my life.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM

my mom got me into music at age 3... then, after recorder lessons, singing in the choir and taking home organ/keyboard lessons, at age 14 i finally got to choose the drums... that was in 94. drumming for me is a total relief and balances me out a lot. i like being able to make progress and watch it happen. while i also play a bit of guitar and bass, i do enjoy beating the heads a lot more. in addition to that, the wide variety of percussion options is pretty intriguing too... i've played with about a dozen bands, in 2 brass orchestras and a few ensembles. nothing beats (no pun intended) the feeling of getting behind the rack on stage and get the party going.
all in all, drumming even has a bit of a meditative component. so i can't wait to get behind the drums again...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Re: What got you started playing drums?

What got me started playing drums? I was filling out my schedule for 7th grade so me and my buddy were picking all the easy classes, so I picked band for my 1st hour class. I had to practice on a Remo pad with 2B sticks for the first year in the lunchroom with some other beginners while the actual concert band practiced in the band room.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:26 PM

John Dolmayan.
Period.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Playing pots and pans as a kid (about 3 years old I think), and the next door neighbour said my parents should get me a kit.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 PM

here's mine:

Music: Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, The Eagles and The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Drummer: There's quite a few drummers. Ringo Starr would be my number 1 to be honest. Just watching him go nuts on the drums and the hair wave and just the feel he had was amazing. Another drummer that influenced and still does me was Chad Smith. He's got great beats, awesome chops and what I've noticed is that he tends to play songs more better and gets more creative when playing live.

Person: My uncle I would have to say. I can still remember as a young toddler (about 1 and half, 2 years old...giver take) always going to my cousin's and just seeing this nice black drumset there and i would always sit there and play a basic beat. However it wasn't until I hit the age of 12 that I got my beginners kit. Up until then I would still tap a beat on anything that would resemble a drum to me lol.

Music: I'm pretty much open to anything. Aside from playing Rock, Punk and Metal I really enjoy playing Funk, Jazz and Reggae.

Inspirations: People who come up to me and compliment my drumming just puts a smile on my face alot and makes feel happy that I found something that I'm good at. My cousin and all her friends who are like 23 years old always ask me to teach them how to play lol...kinda weird having a teenager teching adults how to play drums isn't it lol?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM

I started in grammar school. After the cello was too boring and trumpet hurt my lips, I turned to the snare drum in the school band until I got a drum set at 13. I quit the school band and started taking drum lessons. Never looked back after that.

Right around the same time (13), I was given a used copy of Led Zeppelin II. Needles to say, I was really hooked!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Ever since I first heard "Time Stand Still" by Rush, I had an interest in drums. When I heard "Subdivisions", I REALLY took an interest. I went out, bought sticks, and spent the next 20 years as a professional "air drummer"

After 35 years of playing hockey "goalie", I had to retire due to health issues 2 years ago. It broke my heart. My buds convinced me to come out and jam with them about 2 years back, to get me out of the house, and it was a blast to play. But it was only once or twice a month, and my buddys kit was destroyed. Well after hounding my wife, she bought me some gear for Christmas "06. Been a real blast getting to learn my way around the kit, plus I don't know if it was all the "air drumming" to Rush, but it took me no time to get a feel for drums, and I have had no issues with co-ordination and such that many beginners have trouble with.

Back when I played hockey, goaltending for me was an obsession. I was always reading on the subject, practicing to be my best. I never thought i'd feel that feeling again, the passion.
My wife told me yesterday I am OBSESSED with drums and everything that goes with it.
Guess I was wrong!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:59 AM

I started listening to thrash metal like Metallica when i was 5. Ever since then ive been listening to a lot of modern death metal, as well as some old stuff. Mostly what got me into drumming was videos on youtube of people like Mike Portnoy(Dream Theatre) Jaska Raatikainen(Children Of Bodom) And Chris Adler (Lamb Of God)
Plus my best friend is an amazing drummer. He even gets free equipment from Pearl sometimes. Hes REALLY good. And he told me he would teach me some stuff. Ever since ive been down in a sound proof basement banging on his 8 piece pearl master kit. Though I myself only have an Alesis Dm5 Pro electronic Kit.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM

lol i was just tapping a beat on a table one day and i thought "hey this is cool"
Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
lewisn27

one of my friends said that i would make a good drummer because i was always tapping away and whatnot. so then after that i was a "air" drummer for about a year or two and then my brother (who plays guitar) said it would be cool if i got a kit and he convinced me to start playing, so i started taking lessons at school and then a couple months later i bought a cb drums kit and here i am now. some of my inspirations were travis smith from trivum and dave lombardo from slayer.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:30 AM

I was going to get a musical intrument for my birthday, either drums or a banjo...I'm glad I chose drums! I do like bluegrass, but I don't really have any bluegrass cds or whatnot. I'm more into metal anyways.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votard View Post
I was going to get a musical intrument for my birthday, either drums or a banjo...I'm glad I chose drums! I do like bluegrass, but I don't really have any bluegrass cds or whatnot. I'm more into metal anyways.
"I do like bluegrass... I'm more into metal anyways." Well you have an acquired taste in music. Whatever works for you. Ever plan to pick the banjo up in the future?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:24 AM

Music: It was before I was 4 probably, the music that my dad was listenning, which is Jazz, Jazz-rock, Prog-rock, classic-rock, Names? Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Pink Floyd, Sting, The Police, Chick Corea, Spyro Gyra, Weather Report, Mahavisnu Orchestra, King Crimson, Stanley Clarke, Steve Gadd, Phil Collins, Buddy Rich band and others.

Drummer: My favorite visible influences from whom I steal the most of my drumming are: 1.John Bonham, 2.Phil Collins, 3.Aaron Gillespie(Underoath), 4.Steve Gadd, 5. Buddy Rich, 6. Art Blakey, so many other but the most visible are the first 3.Its really mixed between those 3.

Person: My dad who himself started drumming at 14 studyed drums in college and learn me all about drums basics seriously since I'm 4. He learned me to be more than a drummer and to explore outside of drumming to get my influence so that i can be a better drummer and developpe my own sound adn to practise a lot. He was a music lover a passionate for good arangement, be a good solo drummer but learn how to play with the band and to let song play by itself, play for the song be simple is harder than be tech, drum is more in the controle of our mind and what we play the speed and the impression. Anyway a lot of things he though me he was like a Yoda to me hahaha.

Style: My favorite style currently is Northern-Rock, I just invented that hahaha. It describe what we play in my band cus its a big mix of style so to be short we just call it northern rock cause I'm from Montreal. Basically I was first listenning and learning the music from my dad which i already mentionned, then I was into my age music style, radio rock alternative, punk rock then sk-punk, ska-core, then hard-core and then metal. I got tired of all that noisy music went back to more mature music rediscovering my dad's music, prog-rock and classic-rock learn the arrangements before the playing more thoughful music than just fealing and just throw-up trashy music. I lstenned to hip-hop also after looking at skateboard video it was psyching for skateboard session, then electro-dj ambiance music for films etc. Then classical music and Indie-rock, after being through most of all music style intensly I'm now at an even state on all the styles, I listen to all and judge impartially within the style itself and I merge everything i liked in my life but I'm more open minded now than just one style. So I could that I prefer rock alternative to be very wide but also jazz, folk and classical, i mix all that together, I dig post-harcore a lot but not all the time it depends how i feal i always listen to different stuff.

Inspiration: Biggest is Led Zeppelin, then, Radiohead, genesis, Underoath, Thrice, As Cities Burn, Mewithoutyou, Dogwood, Arcade Fire, and so many others those are the main.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM

Watching my big brother play. Then I stoled his kit when he gave up on playing. that was 40 years ago. time flies when your having fun.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Jon Farris of INXS is a very underrated drummer. I got started the usual way: interest, sticks and practice pad, lessons, crummy drumkit, more lessons, better drumkit, more lessons, a very good drum kit . . . but Jon Farris was a big part of me wanting to play the drums
Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM

I was 8 & happened to see the most beautiful contraption of drums an 8 yr old has ever seen. I begged my dad to let me play them...some other adult finally gave in....the rest is history.

To this day, my dad won't let me ride behind him in the car...he has flashbacks of all those years when I beat on his headrest. :)

"I'm fully prepared to face anything that is foolish enough to face me."

Dwight K. Schrute
Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 AM

One of my uncles is a '60s drummer (plays a mean Little-B solo having only one arm!) and as a consequence huge music lover. I was somewhere around five or six when he interrupted a family gathering to set up his projector and screen to show us a film of John Bonham playing Moby Dick. I think he played amber Vistalites but I'm not sure (been a while) but anyway, I knew that was what I wanted to do. (or die trying...)

I've always loved Ludwig Vistalites, and thats probably why I think I picked it up there. It's one of the oldest memories I have.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:14 PM

My dad wanted me to take up an instrument and suggested guitar and i was like na i dont wanna play guitar (no offence to the guitar players) but all my friends played it and i took a liking to the drums.

At this time i was listening to Blink and checked out their drummer (travis barker) on youtube and i was like *jaw drops*. Something clicked in my mind that i wanted to play like that one day.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM

My dads influence mostly.... i tried taking up the guitar, but then i realized everyone else played the guitar. i wanted to be different, and so my dad showed me some Who tapes. when i saw Moon behind those drums, ( I think the first clip i saw was The Who on the rolling stones rock and roll circus) i couldnt tear my eyes away. I wanted to be the power behind the music, the youthful, uncontrollable edge that Moon was to The Who. My dad taught me the basic beats, and afterwards i was entirely self taught. The rest is three and a half year history.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:03 PM

Music- The Beatles, Nils Lofgren, Bruce Springsteen and Mötley Crüe at the time I think.
Drummer- Chad Smith, Ian Paice, Samantha Maloney and my dad.
Person- My dad who I love very much for that!
Style- Rockabilly, Punk, Psycobilly and reggea.
Inspirations- I've always been kind of a "boy-girl", and I couldn't keep up with them in sports and all the other boyish activities. But then I tried playing the drums and figured out that that was alot of fun. And since I had more patience then the other boys I got much better faster then them, and I think that's something that still inspires me :)
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM

There's a millions replies to this thread, and mine wont stand out at all, but...

I only just started getting into music, well, real music (I dont count Dance) until I was 19 or 20. Really anything from the 60's and 70's rock scene (Led Zep being my fav)

I always fancied learning guitar because my Dad was so into it, but the instrument never grabbed me and I never felt any real draw to it.

I'd moved away from home to follow a job in a new town and found myself with very little to do with my time. I had no friends close by so would visit as many rock bars as possible. I remember walking passed a shop window with a drum kit on show and thinking 'that looks like loads of fun'

A few days later, while talking to my mother I mentioned I'd quite like a drum kit. She went mental! Told me not to be so silly and to buy a guitar with a pair of headphones.

Typically, against my mothers wishes I bought a cheap CB drum kit - laced the thing with towls (to keep the volume down) and set about trying to kick out a 4/4 beat.

Over time I found myself tapping out rhythms while in the car, at work, watching TV etc but couldnt practice as often as I wanted as my kit was back at my parents house (I was still working away)

One weekend was spent working overtime in the office. I felt like I was working non-stop and needed a treat so the monday after I spent the overtime money on a Roland TD-6 and from that moment on, even 4 year later I practice every day!

Drums and cars are pretty much my whole life now, day job aside ; )

Music- Led Zeppelin. No question. But also The Secret Machines, Deep Purple, Hendrix.

Drummer- Bonham, Buddy, Joe Morello

Person- Me (sorry!) Nobody really encouraged me, it was all down to a passion for playing. If anything people who arnt into their music scoff at the idea of playing drums.

Style- Bonham - everything he does I am in awe of! Hard hitting but also his quieter moments.

Inspirations- The fun of it - sitting behind a giant drum kit, making all that noise and showing people what skills you've picked up - the physicality of playing, the coordination involved, hitting harder than the drummer before you (im terribly competitive!)
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

haha i started because i couldnt play the trumpet
Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 AM

i was laying in bed trying to fall asleep one night and for some reason i just started thinking about it and i thought it would be fun. here i am 3 and a half years later and i thought right, i love it and don't have any plans to ever quit.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 PM

It was 1965-Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Roy Orbison and Muddy Waters initially then the English invasion-The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, The Animals , The Searchers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Spencer Davis Group, The Who, John Mayal, Manfred Mann, The Hollies, The Moody Blues, ad infinitum....hee,hee,hee. Then it really got interesting with Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc. This could go all day. Dang who couldn't resist wanting to play the drums. My mom was tired of me beating all her pots and furniture to bits so buying me a drum kit seemed the lesser of two evils. Decades of neighbors in two states learned to love me-even when you could here me crank it up so the Apollo crew could her me on the moon. No wonder I'm deaf-no one wore hearing protection. After decades my playing had peaked, but visiting Drummerworld has re-ignited my passion and I have moved into entirely new directions-first buying the double pedal (which I just thought was a sin) and adding onto my cymbals. I completely changed my style and I am still re-inventing myself. Brushing the dust off myself and teaching this ole dog new tricks-I feel young again. All you guys and gals are great. All the videos on this site are just inspirational. I have become a jazz fanatic-I'm praying Tony Williams will reincarnate himself into me. I just love his way. But he is the drummer of the month. Next month we will see. I was just set on expanding my kt, when Bernhard added a Wolfgang Haffner video. I'm moving to smaller rather than larger now and trying to find the combination of sizes and heads for "my" sound. One of my old grad school mentors always told me to keep it simple stupid. I always forget that.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

When i was 6 years old- my dad set up his '64 wmp ludwigs in my room, a 4 pc. set with the old L-mount cymbal stand,speed kings and 20 year old heads, the rest is history...probably the greatest gift ever. now i am 29 and still getting better each day. btw, if you d like to see the kit now, look for the ludwig fan club thread. it s expanded just a bit(lol). THANKS DAD!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 AM

I wanted to learn to play something in our elementary school band in 6th grade - either trumpet or drums, something loud, you know? My mom probably didn't fancy a budding trumpet player, whereas with drums, a practice pad is enough. So she encouraged me to go with drums. 10 years later, and after making much more noise than a practice pad, I'm very grateful for the nudge to drums.

I wasn't that good at it b/c my influences at first was not so great more popular, less talented bands. Then I heard Dream Theater, and I was expanded to a whole new side of music with complexity. Other bands like Tool and Porcupine Tree have since moved ahead of Dream Theater, but it was an eye opening experience.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM

well no one got me started to play drums
i just wanted to start playing them because my brothers were playing guitar and bass so i figured i didnt want to be left out so i started playing drums
it took me a while to figure out how to play them but then i learned
but my all time favorite drummer, the person i look up to is TOMMY LEE!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 AM

My brother started playing but never got anywhere in it and gave up...the drum set was left and i had joined a band filling in as a bassist (im a guitarist of 6 years so bass wasnt difficult to pick up)....that bands drummer was terrible (his primary instrument was bass) this kid had no rhythm no idea of timing or even the concept of a beat he just hit stuff...so we ended up switching off because i had descent rhythm good timing and had ideas of what to do from watching my brother...since then ive been learning and getting better at a rate im very satisfied with...the band ditched the bassist got a new one...i stuck with drums and we've gotten pretty descent
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 AM

when i was 16 i went a live concert in Turkey.it was a really good band called KURBAN (u should check it you can find his live performances on youtube) i was watching the drummer of the band and i said myself that "i need to play that!i can do it " and i have started to play drums :D
Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Of course it always starts off with banging on pots and pans as a kid.
But what really got me started was a band called 16Volt, I just had to learn the drums after I bought their SuperCoolNothingv2.0 album.

I was always interested in drums, I just never thought I'd really learn them. We'd go to Mars Music (before they went bankrupt) and bought guitar strings and guitar booklets, but I'd end up running over to the drum room and gazing at the wonderful kits. I'm actually glad that I took a keen interest, otherwise I wouldn't have played percussion in band or even started the drums.