DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-03-2006, 05:13 AM

Default The strongest stick

Hi, I like to use 5a's and 5b's. I need to find a stick that will last a long time. Im kinda low on cash and I need a stickthat will last. any advice?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The strongest stick

Well, i have had my SD1's for the past 4-5 years. But the reason they havnt broken is because i dont use them that often. I always use pro mark 747 rock sticks, and i seem to break them alot. But only when doing rimshots.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:24 AM

yea I do alot of rimshots. Funny thing is I play traditional

Hows vater? Think there as good as Pro Mark and Vic's?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't really used Pro-Marks enough to comment, but Vaters kick Vic Firth's arse. Also, don't even bother looking at Zildjian.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Chip

I use VF mainly because no shops have Pro-Mark or Vater around here. They last me 2-3 months each. I have had to put up with nylon-tipped Dipsticks (Zildjian), they are terrible. They lasted as long (I must have an alright technique?), to my annoyance. They gave me blisters, they hurt, I didn't (couldn't) practice as much.

I want to switch to Pro-Mark or Vater, but I can't...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 PM

You Zildjian stick bashers!

Dave Weckl Vic Firth Sticks lasted me a while but they were wood tip and the ends started to break off. These in nylon tip would be an excellent choice.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 AM

pro mark japan oak's last a while,
Old 09-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Gold Member

i've tried the 5a's of pro-mark, vic firth and vater, and vater lasted the longest.

two days ago, i had to stop using a stick because it was too light... the rimshots had

taken a toll on the stick, and had worn off probable half the diameter... but would not break.

good sticks.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:35 AM

vic firth 2B or vater Nightstick i think their both heavy duty but the nightsticks seems to be more of a marching stick
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

I use Regal Tip's Metal-X
It's a big stick, but they last me longer than most other things. Or you could try a pair of Ahead's. Those will last a while.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Pioneer Member

The Pro Mark Japanese white oak sticks are very durable, more than hickory. I use them and they last a good while.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Pioneer Member

I must say that the chad smith funk blasters from vater are the strongest sticks I've ever used. Give them a shot.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:49 AM

Vic Firth Metal Sticks...they are so thick and bulky that you definately will not break...i use them for practice...i go from a heavy stick for practicing and a light stick when i actually play....just like when a baseball pitcher practices with a heavier ball than a real one so he is fully stretch and gives the feeling of more power when pitching
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Pro-Mark Oak, a denser wood. Rather than fraying, they just get small dents. I Use the 707's (close to 5a)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
I must say that the chad smith funk blasters from vater are the strongest sticks I've ever used. Give them a shot.
Yes. Those sticks are nigh indestructable. Great feel too (beefy 5b). I have found Vater to be putting out some quality sticks.

Any way, Vic Firths do have the potential to last forever (call me crazy) but it is very complicated. I got some VFs from a friend, who barely ever used them (only lightly in school). They were about a year old, and only ever-so-lightly used. They have taken a beating like no other. I think that vic firths just need some prep time, to get slightly worn in, enough so they aren't as new looking, but still practically scrape free. After that complicated pre-drumming routine, they will last forever.

If you really want sticks that will last FOREVER, try marching sticks. I can guarantee 100% that everything else will break, but most positively not the sticks.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:35 AM

I used a set of Vic Firth 2B for @ 6 months and thats saying a lot. I have to travel to get them so I go with Pro Mark the the local shop carries and they will last about a month. I had a set of the Zildjian dipped sticks and they caused a lot of blisters in the 2 weeks they lived.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM

I've tried a bunch of sticks, the most durable seem to be Vater for me. They'll chip away at the rimshot part, but I've only broken 1 stick. I use the ROCK sticks, pretty long and meaty, good for loud rock playing for sure. Me and the bass player just "convinced" the guitar player to keep his volume to a reasonable level, so maybe I'll try a lighter stick. It will be Vater though.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:17 PM

Keep in mind that the energy transfer has to go somewhere. If it is enough to break the sticks, and you switch to a more durable stick, you may end up breaking crashes or wearing out heads faster.

Play to the drum not through the drum.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide
Keep in mind that the energy transfer has to go somewhere. If it is enough to break the sticks, and you switch to a more durable stick, you may end up breaking crashes or wearing out heads faster.

Play to the drum not through the drum.

excellent advice! I totaly agree!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242
yea I do alot of rimshots. Funny thing is I play traditional

Hows vater? Think there as good as Pro Mark and Vic's?
I love traditional grip rim shots, they look and feel so good. As for a strong stick, I really like the Pro-mark oak jazz model (it's the Elvin model in Japanese Oak), unbreakable and really light!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

I've broken 2b's and i've broken 7a's when ever I get a pair of sticks I will grab the whole bunch of what ever type of stick i'm getting and i'll look at the but end of the stick and single out the sticks with the most layers the more layers you have the stronger the stick will be.for personal preference I use 3a & 7a Vaters & 420 Pro-marks all nylon tips.depending on what tune i'm playing.

Good Luck

Bonzolead
Old 09-21-2006, 02:35 AM

pro mark japanese oaks, they're great. I use 2b's and they last quite a while, and i hit VERY hard.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Hey i recently bought a pair of *unbreakable* sticks while i was on holidays. They are made from carbon fibre and are hollow on the inside. The guy at the counter said they lasted him 14 years, they seem real sturdy but personally i dont like using thenm as they leave black marks on the heads and cymbals, they are also too thick and heravy for my liking when i get home ill let you know what they are called * sorry cant remember off hand*
-Stevy C-
Old 09-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevyc
Hey i recently bought a pair of *unbreakable* sticks while i was on holidays. They are made from carbon fibre and are hollow on the inside. The guy at the counter said they lasted him 14 years, they seem real sturdy but personally i dont like using thenm as they leave black marks on the heads and cymbals, they are also too thick and heravy for my liking when i get home ill let you know what they are called * sorry cant remember off hand*
-Stevy C-
I've used fiber-type sticks they never break but the sticks I used the tips of the sticks would fray.disapointing.

Bonzolead

Keep Swatting
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM

Yea i havent used them that much to be perfectly honest the guy at the counter had recommened them but after a few hours i began to get sick of them*if thats how you would put it!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

I am not a heavy hitter, so I don't break many sticks. God knows how, I managed to break a few Zildjian anti-vibe sticks very quickly, and I don't buy them anymore.

However, I bought a pair of their Travis Barker sticks (for my son...) about a year ago. I started using them a few months ago, for heavier songs. I am not sure why, it is hickory, just as their anti-vibes, but those sticks feel so solid. Not a sign of fatigue, after all the punishment (!) from my son's. Tough sticks.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:02 AM

I would recommend lookin at pro-mark or vater nylon tip sticks. from my expirience with them they're the most durable, but its really up to your preference because the majority of sticks last the same time and it depends on how you play.

DW. ZILDJIAN. TAMA. VATER. PEACE
Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip
I use VF mainly because no shops have Pro-Mark or Vater around here. They last me 2-3 months each. I have had to put up with nylon-tipped Dipsticks (Zildjian), they are terrible. They lasted as long (I must have an alright technique?), to my annoyance. They gave me blisters, they hurt, I didn't (couldn't) practice as much.

I want to switch to Pro-Mark or Vater, but I can't...
Agreed, got a BAD blister while playing a show and couldn't apply pressure with my thumb on my right hand!
Go with promark signature Pert 30th anniversary sticks, best feeling sticks and have out lasted all my others.
-Wes
Old 10-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Pioneer Member

I am really surprised with my pair of Promark 747 rock natural sticks! They've lasted for such a long time, and I've been beating these things much more severely than my 2B's, which broke and I got these two sticks at the same time, and have been using these 747's much longer than my 2B's...IT'S WIERD! I love these sticks.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Vater Fusion sticks are great, I've had a pair for about 2 months or so.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:05 AM

Well,

I use the AHEAD Sticks for three reasons...

One...You can do pretty much anything with them. You can turn them into mallets, put differents tips on for different types of music, ect.

Two... They will almost never break. When I use wood sticks I always use 5B because if I use 7A then they will break fast. I prefer 7A and with metal sticks you can use 7A. I did break a pair once but that was just because I didn't replace the plastic cover soon enough. I had used all of my extra covers and I couldn't find anyone to take me to Samash to buy more. But, its was worn down pretty bad.

Three... They are only $30. I hear a lot of people complain about the price. I don't know why they're complaining so much. I saved a lot of money by using them. If you add up all the money you would spend on wood sticks in the time you use one pair of metal sticks you will realize how good the price is.

Oh and...

They don't damage your cymbals unless the plastic is worn down A LOT and the sticks haven't broken yet for some reason. By the time the plastic gets down that much the sticks will probably brake before you damage your cymbals. A lot of people complain about that too.

_Cody
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM

are those ahead made of fibreglass? i have one fibreglass sticks. they are heavy n sliperry. n everytime i hit my drums, i feel like im gonna punch a hole in it. aarr... hmm maybe it was a crappy one.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:17 AM

If you want a strong pair of sticks try some Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. I use Neil Peart Signatures and they don't break until the neck of the stick has worn down considerably!

-DM
Old 10-14-2006, 01:37 AM

the drum sticks that i used the most n had the most life was the peter ernsike ride sticks. i had to ducktape the neck. lol... but finaly it broke, then broke my evolution dave wack stick a day after .... sad. :'(
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 AM
Silver Member

Mike Mangini Signature Sticks are pretty good, Iv had my pair for 26 years and they havent broken yet!!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:10 PM

I hate the ahead sticks, but they look impossible to break. Vaters and pro-mark are both long lasting hickory sticks, but the best wood ones are the pro-mark oak. i've been playig 10 years, had one of those as my first pair, and played with them for 8 years before i needed a new pair of sticks. And by that time all that had happened was a little flattening of the tips, which made them sound a bit weird.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Thomas Lang signatures from Vic Firth can take some bashing (maybe because they are built like tree trunks L = 16 1/8", Dia. = .650 )

Hang on a minute and I'll help you with your gear.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Mike Mangini Signature Sticks are pretty good, Iv had my pair for 26 years and they havent broken yet!!
no way. Thats amazing. I didnt evenknow Mike Mangini has had Signature sticks for that long. Man if i were you i would be afraid of using em because of the risk of breaking antiques like that from 26 years ago.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I tried them for a while and they are durable yes. 26 years:O hehe I stopped using them tough. They are waaaaay to heavy for my hands.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I hate the ahead sticks, but they look impossible to break. Vaters and pro-mark are both long lasting hickory sticks, but the best wood ones are the pro-mark oak. i've been playig 10 years, had one of those as my first pair, and played with them for 8 years before i needed a new pair of sticks. And by that time all that had happened was a little flattening of the tips, which made them sound a bit weird.
Ahead sticks are not unbreakable. A friend of mine have broken two sticks. Not just the covers, but the hole stick into two pieces. And he did that in about two months. He is insane tough.