DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Remo Renaissance

Hi

I was wandering if anybody tried yet the Renaissance Powerstroke 3 on the bassdrum.

I would like to put the Ambassador Renaissance on my snaredrum because of the precision, etc. But I saw on Remo's website the also make the renaissance in powerstroke and emperor version....

So...what do you think about the Renaissance Powerstroke on the bassdrum....and maybe the ambassadors or emperors on tom toms....

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo Renaissance

Renaissance heads are etched, not coated, and made from a special film, so I'd imagine they'd sound very dark and warm, probably warmer than traditional coated heads like Ambassadors. They're very popular with orchestral percussionists, and I have used a snare before with a Renaissance batter. It was tuned relatively low, so it sounded and felt a lot like calf skin. I think with a P3 on the bass drum and ambassadors on the toms you could achieve an incredibly warm, full sound, which would probably be excellent for recording, although it might not be the best for louder gigs. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

why do you never see anybody playing renaissances on set snares? any particular reasons? the thing is, i've played them on several concert snares and they sound (and feel, which is more what i'm after) really nice, but i'm wondering if there's any reasons i should be wary of grabbing one for my snare next time i need a new head.
also, what does the RE (or RA) mean after renaissance on the heads? i cant seem to find it on the remo site
Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Renaissance head on my Slingerland Radio king snare (kit snare) and it is pretty cool. I'm not so sure if it is a 'dark' sound by the definition I know it by, but definitely a 'warm' sound. Similar to a coated ambassador but different. I think less ring. I think they would make nice tom batter heads.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 AM

I've tried the Renaissance ambassador for both my snare batter and floor tom batter. It sounded pretty cool for the snare batter but dented really quickly. I got a transparent glassy tone with great stick definition. Best used for medium and high tunings, it just farts for low snare tunings.

For the floor tom, it was weird. Imagine bass-y resonance that sustained a long time with really sharp attack. It's almost like hearing two tones at once, but with a disconnect between the two. It sounded rubbery and strange playing it behind the kit, but recorded with a room mic it sounded fat with the attack emphasized more. It's a fickle head. At the very least it looks cool and is an obscure choice ;)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

I'm using the Renaissance RA on my side-snare (12" DW maple) and it smokes... I want to try one on my main snare (14" customized Dave Weckl Sig), but no one here stocks them, so I have to special order it.. Maybe not a good head to select for a metal drum, but definately a great head on the maple.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
why do you never see anybody playing renaissances on set snares? any particular reasons? the thing is, i've played them on several concert snares and they sound (and feel, which is more what i'm after) really nice, but i'm wondering if there's any reasons i should be wary of grabbing one for my snare next time i need a new head.
also, what does the RE (or RA) mean after renaissance on the heads? i cant seem to find it on the remo site
I'm not a REMO rep. but I believe it means RE(renaissance emperor) RA(renaissance ambassdor) I'm sure they would sound good on a Jazz type set-up (20bd,10tt,14ft)
I love the renaissance ambassdor on the snare almost has like a dry sound very sensitive.

Bonzolead