DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 PM
lewisn27

Default Re: R.I.P.: Mitch Mitchell

I have a tear, =,(
R.I.P Mitch Mitchell.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Buddy Miles & Mitch Mitchell both pass away within a year both were great drummers and both will be truly missed.Jimi really knew how too pick good drummers.I wanted too see the Hendrix tribute at the Filmore here in Detroit around halloween time but I was gigging that night now I really regret not seeing it.I'm gonna make sure too do "them changes"(Buddy) & "Spanish Castle Magic"(Mitch) as a tribute this weekend at our gig.

Again RIP Mitch you were one of the great ones.

Bonzolead
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks for all the great years Mitch! You are truly an inspiration! Not forgotten - not gone. Namaste.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM

R.I.P. Mitch. You will be missed.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

A huge loss.

He was huge. Huge in drums spirit.

One of my perenial, original inspirations and heroes.

Sad.

Gary Husband
Old 11-14-2008, 03:27 AM

RIP. He was one of my early influences...time to get my Hendrix CDS out.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDavid View Post
RIP. He was one of my early influences...time to get my Hendrix CDS out.
Here here......he will be greatly missed.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 AM

I was truly sad to hear the news today of the passing of Mitch Mitchell. I think I was in Junior high school when I really started listening to Hendrix. The drums caught my attention right away, I used to spend hours trying to imitate those incredible fills he had. I loved how he brought jazz drumming into rock, his style was the perfect compliment to Jimmy's playing. He will never be forgotten, he will and has influenced a whole other generation of drummers. He was definately one of my early influences. Today I jammed to Spanish Castle Magic, Fire and Crosstown Traffic in honor of Mitch. A big loss to the drumming community. What are your favorite Mitch Mitchell tunes to play along with?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Rebel

Mitch's spirit will continue drumming among us...Voodoo child!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 AM
jay norem

Manic Depression. Man, when I heard that I felt that I'd found the holy grail or something. I set about learning that song, learning and copying everything Mitchell played on it.
I'd never heard a rock song in 3/4 time, definitely not done like that, and to this day it's one of my favorite grooves. At the time it was completely new and today it's still very unique. It's the one song I was hoping Hendrix would play when I saw him, but alas, he didn't.
What a rollicking drum part Mitchell plays on that. Quite unlike anything I'd heard before.
Ding-a-ding-a-digadoo-ding-a-ding-a-digadoo! Pretty innovative stuff for the time, and pure drumming joy.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:05 AM

No doubt he's my favorite drummer of all time. The groove, the attitude, the silly costumes..... You'll always be remembered, Mitch. Rock on in heaven!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 AM

Mitch and Jimi are probably jamming up there right now :)

RIP

Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmckay View Post
I was truly sad to hear the news today of the passing of Mitch Mitchell. I think I was in Junior high school when I really started listening to Hendrix. The drums caught my attention right away, I used to spend hours trying to imitate those incredible fills he had. I loved how he brought jazz drumming into rock, his style was the perfect compliment to Jimmy's playing. He will never be forgotten, he will and has influenced a whole other generation of drummers. He was definately one of my early influences. Today I jammed to Spanish Castle Magic, Fire and Crosstown Traffic in honor of Mitch. A big loss to the drumming community. What are your favorite Mitch Mitchell tunes to play along with?
Fire,Hey Joe,Crosstown Traffic are obvious choices but also Little miss lover,6 was 9,third stone from the sun,castles made of sand,freedom, and of course Voodoo Chile. He never did a bad song really I liked them all.

RIP John (Mitch) Mitchell

Bonzolead
Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

I've been sick for the past couple of days and I completely missed the news of his passing, so it's a new shock for me. :-(

Whenever I'm messing around with brushes I'll put on "Up From the Skies" and try to play along with it. It's still my favorite brush song of all time.

I never read any explanation of why Mitch "gave up" drumming for so long. Does anybody have any information about that? Seems criminal that such a good drummer spent so much time out of the spotlight.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 PM

A sad farewell to a true legend of the drum stool, there must be one hell of a jam session going on up there now, the original 'Experience' reunited again.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I've been sick for the past couple of days and I completely missed the news of his passing, so it's a new shock for me. :-(

Whenever I'm messing around with brushes I'll put on "Up From the Skies" and try to play along with it. It's still my favorite brush song of all time.

I never read any explanation of why Mitch "gave up" drumming for so long. Does anybody have any information about that? Seems criminal that such a good drummer spent so much time out of the spotlight.
I am also sad to hear of his passing and I have wondered the same thing.

I wasn't even aware Mitchell he was alive or dead. For someone so influential, I never heard much about him after playing with Hendrix. I don't even see people discussing his post-Hendrix work much. It's unfortunate but why did he seem to fall off the map more or less after Hendrix? Or am I just poorly informed?

Here is someone arguably as creative and masterful as Bonham who seems to have spent the last 40 years in obscurity. What was he doing with the last half of his life?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 AM

I was very shocked & saddened when I read about Mitch Mitchell's death. I was a drummer, about 13 years old, when I first heard him and he immediately became MY FAVORITE DRUMMER because of the way he played - his mixing of Jazz & Rock was SO fresh and inspiring to me! The very cool kind of drum rolls and accents, the whole sound blew me away.

I do remember an album he did a few years after Hendrix's death with a female electric guitar player - named April Something.....in NY.

I loved him so much more than the other big drummers of the day - Bonham, Ginger Baker....

We'll miss you dearly, Mitch!

xxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Shocked to hear of the death of Mitch.He was a great drummer.The Experience is complete in another world.God bless Mitch Mitchell.R.I.P
Old 11-15-2008, 11:29 PM

Sad news indeed - another of the true greats joins the great gig in the sky ... R.I.P. Mitch
Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Rest in peace Mitch. Your drumming has and always will amaze me with how tasty every lick is.

Kind of freaky actually... just about two weeks ago in my art class I painted a picture that included mitch and the experience bassist noel redding.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Oh Sh&% what a bummer! I was just casually skimming the topics and came across this news. I real loss indeed. I was just watching the "Dirty Mac" a couple days ago and so getting into it.

This bites...I'm depressed. :(
Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Yes, an EXTREME bummer to see this thread here today. Rest in Peace, indeed, Mitch. You've inspired and influenced so many of us, and your music is still as awesome as it ever was.

Like so many of you have written before me, Mitch Mitchell was one of my biggest influences as a young drummer. "Fire" was one of the first songs I ever tried to play the very first time I got my own set. He has always been one of my all-time favorites. It's so fricking sad to see all my musical heros checking out so often these days. Guess some of us are getting old...

I used to have the two Ramatam records. Can't remember what they were like, but I remember I was disappointed at the time. I ended up selling them long ago, but I've been thinking about them recently and wanting to hear them again.

When it comes to the Buddy Miles/Mitch Mitchell question, I love the Band of Gypsys stuff, but I think I will always prefer Mitch with Hendrix. Just the way those two would be flying all over, weaving in and out with each other, complementing each other, while Noel Redding held everything grounded. That was really magic, to me. Whereas BOG is more funky, more driving in a great way, but just not that same magic.

So rest in peace all of you, Mitch, Buddy, Jimi. And thanks for the music.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Manic Depression. Man, when I heard that I felt that I'd found the holy grail or something. I set about learning that song, learning and copying everything Mitchell played on it.
I'd never heard a rock song in 3/4 time, definitely not done like that, and to this day it's one of my favorite grooves. At the time it was completely new and today it's still very unique. It's the one song I was hoping Hendrix would play when I saw him, but alas, he didn't.
What a rollicking drum part Mitchell plays on that. Quite unlike anything I'd heard before.
Ding-a-ding-a-digadoo-ding-a-ding-a-digadoo! Pretty innovative stuff for the time, and pure drumming joy.
Ooh... good call, Jay! The typical tendency would be to play like a slow waltz or some kind of shuffle but Mitch does it all while maintaining the rock feel.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Rebel

Let us remember Mitch's pictures on action.....
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
Let us remember Mitch's pictures on action.....
Great pictures,I love the cymbal stands of the 60's they look like little tooth picks LOL

Bonzolead
Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Mitch Mitchell

Hi all, I'm new here. I felt stunned when I heard of Mitch's passing. There must be some wicked jamming going on now in Music Heaven with the band reunited. I had the privlege to see Jimi perform in Montreal back in 1968. Being a young drummer at the time I was watching Mitch rather closely. Man, when the band played Manic Depression his hands were just a blur on his rolls. He was a "Stick Man" for sure. I feel that he and the late Mick Waller were two of the best with that style of rock drumming. It's hard when these musicians pass on but, thank God their efforts are now on remastered disc. Peace all.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 AM

Mitch Mitchell is seriously underrated.

Seriously, I love his work in Manic Depression on Are you Experienced.

And he was hot.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

My first band was a 3 piece and we did hendrix stuff.To say that mitch was my biggest influence is a understatment.The guy was unreal....... The wind cries Mary, Classic Drumming from one of the all time greats............
Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 PM

His feel for the song was remarkable. He was the perfect compliment to Jimi's guitar playing.

As far as a comparing him to Buddy Miles i think they were polar opposites and thats what Jimi wanted. He was going in a different direction with Band of gypys.

Can't wait to hear the new tracks...Valley's of Neptune sounds amazing
Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Just added the Video of the Dirty Mac: Mitch Mitchell - Eric Clapton - John Lennon - Keith Richards: YER BLUES

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/m...ldirtymac.html

Bernhard
Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Good one, Bernhard ... a bunch of legends (looking very youthful!) getting together for a jam, all very loose and casual.

Mitch's work with Jimi will always be huge for me.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi Polly

Is it's YOU moving around the amplifiers - or is this lovely Yoko Ono?? Just wondering....not sure
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder View Post
Bummer! The mood he set with his playing that perfectly complemented Jimi's on All Along the Watchtower was good enough for me to place him in an elite group of drummers.
I agree with you..............................
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 PM

I remember trying to play along with 'Fire' when I started playing...ending in failure.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

When I first really started to find my own way into music and eventually playing, when I was 15, John Bonham was the reason I picked drums. But as I really listened to Jimi from a drummer's perspective, Mitch Mitchell is still the guy I idolize and use to inspire my own style. Mitch is my favorite drummer and I'm not sure that will ever change. He totally change my style and mindset behind a kit.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Hi Polly

Is it's YOU moving around the amplifiers - or is this lovely Yoko Ono?? Just wondering....not sure
Hi Bernhard - sorry, I missed this post.

Haha - I'm not sure what Yoko is doing in that vid. My guess is she was trying trying to physically represent the self-negation inherent in the song. Either that or she was just really, really embarrassed :)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Max_Roach (not real Max Roach) Max_Roach (not real Max Roach) is offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald4789 View Post
When I first really started to find my own way into music and eventually playing, when I was 15, John Bonham was the reason I picked drums. But as I really listened to Jimi from a drummer's perspective, Mitch Mitchell is still the guy I idolize and use to inspire my own style. Mitch is my favorite drummer and I'm not sure that will ever change. He totally change my style and mindset behind a kit.
Donald, that is the exact same way I came to drum. It all started with Bonham then Mitch, Ginger Baker, John Densmore. Then around the time Mitch died I got into what his influences were - being Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe etc -.
There was also a short period of time were I was so into Mitch that everything I played, wether in jams or by myself, was in Mitch's style. You know the fast single stroke fills and stuff like that. It was actually so frustrating!
Old 09-05-2010, 03:52 PM

I have been hooked on Mitchell lately. I remember playing along with "Fire" when I was a young teenager. I play big drums (26/14/16/18) and have them cranked just like his were. I've been really working on more jazz-type playing (double stroke rolls, more sensitive playing) and having the tight tension on the heads really helps.

I love Mitchell's playing, the sound of his drums and his attitude behind the kit.

Does anyone have an opinion on how he starts "Manic Depression"? I've always thought it was a super-fast single stroke roll but the other day my wife and I were listening to it and it suddenly sounded more like a combination of double stroke hits.

Last edited by rogers_68; 09-05-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Rebel

Mitch M. - was the role model of Roger Taylor (Queen, drummer) on the beginning of his career with the band.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 AM

Bump,

Just came in here to say: Favorite drummer all time!

To me, it sounded like he was having fun, and doing what he wanted.