DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: My Pearl SRX Session Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer
Also, my mom runs the music festival for school bands here in Norcal ( it happened yesterday) and someone left an 18" A Custom crash without any names or anything. So until someone claims it, I'm taking it as my own! Talk about luck!
I'm pretty sure most people would call that stealing. That's not cool..just keeping it.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Really nice setup dude, great tom layout, nice finish, and the session series sound fantastic. Be sure to check out my older pearl kit, it's starting to slowly grow again :-)

Nice one

Jay

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
I'm pretty sure most people would call that stealing. That's not cool..just keeping it.
Well, karma kame along and took it away (it was claimed), but i had a little fun playing it before.

And thank you for the compliments MFB and Jay. I really do love her..
Old 06-28-2006, 05:02 PM

very very nice setup. I just dig that finish...

Are you a ian paice fan by any chance?
Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM

very nice man!! hehe look at this little tom..mike mangini has 1 of thouse..i think his is like a 6" :O high pitched as hell!!! loveing the whole cymbal range man!!! look very comftrlbul to play!! have u got a double pedal?

Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 PM

heyy just a few question on the construction of your kit. Your bass pedal, it looks like the one that came with the kit, Eliminators are awesome by the way. (Maybe time for change?). Also im lovin your ride and the nice "chrome piece" you have on there. and just wonderin do you use those congas from ur throne?

My Kit
Old 06-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Wondering: Thanks, it is a really beautiful finish, and no, I'm not an Ian Paice fan particularly, though Smoke On The Water is one of the greatest songs ever! Does my setup resemble his? If so, it was by chance.

Barry: That smallest tom is an 8". I find myself not using it very often because It is so high pitched (along with the fact that I have to reach a little further to hit it), but sometimes it is fun to start on instead of the 10" when I'm rolling down the toms or whatever. It is extremely comfortable to play, as it is essentially set up as a 4 piece (if you look closely you can see it) but with all the other stuff jammed in around that basic setup. I really love the way it worked out. I used to have a double pedal, but found myself not using it very often or to very good effect, and ended up selling it in order to pay for my 8 and 16" toms from Stu_Strib.

Chops: Yes, my bass pedal is the one that came with the kit, but honestly it hasnt caused me any problems so far. As I've said, it's just like the eliminator, but a step below (doesnt have interchangeable cams). Once I have money to blow on a pedal, I will upgrade to the eliminator, but until then, this is really doing quite well. I'm wondering what you mean by my "chrome piece"? I'm not sure. Also, I don't use those bongos all the way over there, I have since moved them over to the left of the high hat where I can play them (like where bonham had his congas).

I need to post new pics. Time to get back on my sister's good side so she'll let me use her camera...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 PM

sorry for the confusion i was just being sarcastic about the duct tape piece on ur ride, does it affect the sound at all? wat is it covering, (i dont think its a crack unless your beating the crap out of that thing) do u find yourself hitting it often?

My Kit
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer
Wondering: Thanks, it is a really beautiful finish, and no, I'm not an Ian Paice fan particularly, though Smoke On The Water is one of the greatest songs ever! Does my setup resemble his? If so, it was by chance.
yes it looks a lot like!

But it s to your honor, i like his setup a lot.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

I wish my old lady had a jazz ban. Nice kit. Really like it. Youve inspired to me to play outside one day... and be subsequently mauled by my retirement age neighbors.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:49 PM

Woooooooooooooooooooooow!!! Thats a big kit. I love it!!! It was really kewl with the tom on your right side. Looks awsome!!
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Chops: Ok.. I didnt look back at the pics to see that. I no longer use that (I also have a new ride..). basically what it did was to quiet it down for my lighter gigs before i got my new ride, as I had to use that rock ride on all my gigs, even for jazz and stuff. I definitely didnt crack that beast, especially right there. I did sometimes hit it, but I just had to watch for where I was aiming.

Wondering: Thanks again... I'll have to check out Paice's to see the resemblance.

d.c.: Yes, I am very fortunate to live in the country, where nobody really cares. It is a cool experience to jam outside though. I highly reccomend taking your kit somewhere that you are able to and just rock it really really loud.

Audun: Yep, it looks and sounds awesome. It is really fun to play too. The tom over there is fun too, opens up lots of different possibilities.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Stu_Strib

What heads are you using nowdays? I just watched a home video of my old sessions, and was cringing...then the culprit...PINSTRIPES! What was I thinking!

I'm thinking EC2s would be great on those, based only on the fact I have one EC2 on one of my toms so far and I fell in love!

Don't laugh ya'll, EC2 with a dab of moon gell really close to the edge...that focused fat studio sound, minus all the electronics!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

Well, I'm still with my old G2s.

I've been looking into getting some EC2s, but I'm worried about getting into playing more jazz (esp. in college next year) and EC2s not sounding quite right.

Like you said in another thread, maybe, just maybe if they made Coated EC2s I could get into it.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Default My Pearl SRX Session Custom (Finally New Pics!)

Ok, finally got some new pics with my new 22" K Ride. I moved some stuff around yesterday and played it a little before my sis (Everybody tell her thanks...) took the pics, but I think I like what I did.

So here they are as of June 30, 2006.
Attached Images

Last edited by somedrummer; 06-30-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Really liking the new pics dude, quality setup, didn't think it could get any better but it just did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
What heads are you using nowdays? I just watched a home video of my old sessions, and was cringing...then the culprit...PINSTRIPES! What was I thinking!

I'm thinking EC2s would be great on those, based only on the fact I have one EC2 on one of my toms so far and I fell in love!

Don't laugh ya'll, EC2 with a dab of moon gell really close to the edge...that focused fat studio sound, minus all the electronics!
I knew you'd like the EC2s Stu, would like to hear how they sound on yours.
I'm still experimenting with the moongel tho, will have another fiddle with it in a bit.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 07-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

New Update:

That big 18" Edge crash (the highest thing on my setup) has now been replaced by a 14" AAX Studio Crash that I got at a pawn shop for $45 yesterday. It's a little bit thicker/heavier than the A Custom Fast I have right next to it, so I can play them both and not have them get mixed up/sounding too much alike.

I'll see if I can get a new pic here soon, but you can probably imagine what it looks like now.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

heh, I've always been interested in seeing your kit ever since seeing it in your small avatar picture.

Anyways, I have a small little question. On the picture of your older setup, the first picture I believe, you had a Ride(I think), with a cymbal stacked on it, and then another one inverted stacked on it.

Just wondering, what are those and what does it sound like? I've never seen that before =P
Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

im not a pearl fan by any means but this kit blows me away allsome. just one thing your bass drum looks really small and lonely all the other stuff above it
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

that kit is sweet. how do you like the 14" studio crash.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Ok, in order:

K3ng: That would be an 8" A Paper Thin splash inverted over a 10" ZBT Plus Splash which was just set on top of the ride. I have to try to remember what it sounded like. I think the ride just sounded pretty much normal since the splash was only touching it at the very top and had little effect on it. The ZBT Splash when hit would touch the ride and give kind of a nasty clangy sound when it hit the ride (why I no longer have this setup). And the 8" A would sound like it normally would when inverted.

Moonchild: Thanks for the compliments. Everything is actually very close and easy to hit.

dom: Yes, it is only a 20", but I love the punch it gives me (with the EMAD with the small muffling ring) and the tom setup options, that is, heving that extra 2 inches really helps me to be able to put toms where I want them.

cdawg: The studio crash is not exactly the way I heard it at the store or in my mind, but when I got it home and played it next to my A custom fast, I realized that it was perfect. It had just enough contrast to be able to be heard as a different sound, but wasnt so heavy that it put me off (BTW, it is a little heavier than the A Custom Fast). Really good sounding cymbal.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 PM

Hi
nice set!
sry i'm from germany so my english isn't so good^^
you have some nice ideas like the chain on teh cymbal
did you think about a double-bass?
i like the little tom above the others
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 PM

Hi
nice set!
sry i'm from germany so my english isn't so good^^
you have some nice ideas like the chain on teh cymbal
did you think about a double-bass?
i like the little tom above the others
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 PM

saweet set
when you gig, what do you use?
im assuming you dont uuse that whole set up.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:49 AM

I think that might be the best looking kit in the forum right now. I love the Vintage Fade and how you have the toms set-up. By looking at your drumheads it hardly looks like youve played the thing. How long have you been expanding on to your kit? That would take me a good 10 years. But your not me, nice kit.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

<<L3o Luk@?>>: Thanks for the compliments. I did at one point have a DW5000 Double Bass Pedal, but found that I wasn't using it very much and sold it to help pay for my 8" and 16" toms which I bought from Stu_Strib.

gringo998: When I gig, I use just a basic 4-piece setup, incl. Snare, Bass, and 12" and 16" toms, 2 crashes, Ride, and Hats. In fact, that is all that I bought cases for when I bought them. I do plan on getting some more cases for 10" and 14" toms sometime to allow for quieter jazz gigs and the like, but for now this 4 piece configuration is serving me well.

ledzeppelins666: WOW! Thanks for the excellent compliment. As for the drumheads, for some reason it seems as though Evans heads don't get dirty like Remo ambassadors or the like. Also, I don't get to play it as much as I would like due to the family being home so often and not being too happy with it. I got the original 5 piece kit with ZBT cymbal pack when I graduated 8th grade, and so have been working on it for 4 years, with a combination of my own money and Christmas presents and the like. Thanks again for the great compliments.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Have you ever considered putting like a gong drum or a big floor tom off of your last floor tom at an angle like Neil Peart does?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelins666
Have you ever considered putting like a gong drum or a big floor tom off of your last floor tom at an angle like Neil Peart does?
Actually, there's a guy on eBay right now with an 18" floor tom that I want really bad, but I'm not willing to give him 350 plus shipping for it. Maybe I will when (if) he lowers the price.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 AM

how deep is the 20" bass drum?
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick arias
how deep is the 20" bass drum?
That would be 16". I love it. Very tight, punchy sound, as is to be expected from a 20x16.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 AM

I love the Ludwig's .... so beautiful and so classic.
and for the Pearl ... not really my taste but , it looks amazing.
..(.weird set up )
take care.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMAHA DRUMMER
I love the Ludwig's .... so beautiful and so classic.
and for the Pearl ... not really my taste but , it looks amazing.
..(.weird set up )
take care.
Yeah, those Ludwigs were nice!

I like the Pearl, and I love my "weird" setup... although it's not that weird. It's like 2 up 2 down, but with extra ones added in.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:24 AM

What cymbals do you have all on your kit?

-AG
Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkyjoe
What cymbals do you have all on your kit?

-AG
I posted the specs somewhere up in this thread, so you could check there.

Actually, it will be changing soon, as I have sent away some of my old cymbals as a trade for some nice new saludas, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting just yet, so I'll give updates as they come.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Sorry, maybe Im blind or dumb, but I went through this list 2 or 3 times and didnt see a cymbal list.

What are you trading?

-AG
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sorry, maybe Im blind or dumb, but I went through this list 2 or 3 times and didnt see a cymbal list.

What are you trading?

-AG
Oh wow, I guess I never did post the cymbal specs.

Well, here they are:

22" K Ride
21" A Rock Ride (will soon be moved to reserves in favor of the new Saluda Ride I'm getting... more detail when it comes)
19" Paragon China
18" Edge Crash (Sold-Soon to be replaced by a Saluda)
17" K Custom Special Dry Crash
16" Edge Crash (Soon to be replaced by a Saluda)
14" A Custom Fast Crash
14" AAX Studio Crash
14" AAX Studio Hat Top over 14" A New Beat Bottom
12" AA Splash
8" A Zildjian Splash (sometimes 2)

As for the trades:

Traded off:
20" ZBT Plus Ride
18" ZBT Plus China
16" ZBT Plus Crash
18" Edge Crash
10" ZBT Plus Splash

For 2 Crashes and a Ride.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Gold Member

I'll have to get some new pics when It all comes in and I get it set up right. 'Til then, there it is.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Any extra cash needed for the trade or is it straight up?

-AG
Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Any extra cash needed for the trade or is it straight up?

-AG
Straight up trade. Although the shipping was pretty bad, I just look at it as "I'm getting 3 new cymbals, AND I get to get rid of some old crappy ones, all for $45!"
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Gold Member

Well, the new Saluda ride is here. It's everything I'd hoped for, and maybe more. I think it will be especially nice when it's had time to "mellow" a bit. Also, new heads alert:

(Note: I just posted the same thing in the EC2 thread, so if you've read that, don't bother with this.)

Well, I got some new heads for all my toms today (all Evans, of course). I just finished putting them on and can't play them for fear of waking up grandma. Dang. I want to beat them really hard.
Anyway, I put a lot of thought into this setup, so if anyone has any comments about it, feel free to let me know.
So, the best way to list this... I think this way.
Batters:
8" and 10": Genera G1 Coated
12" and 13": Genera G2 Coated
14" and 16": EC2 Coated (New line, sounds awesome!)
Resonants:
8", 10", 12": Genera Resonant Glass
13", 14", 16": Genera G1 Clear

So the idea behind it is that all the toms should have a similar amount of resonance without any artificial damping. Therefore, smaller drums get thinner heads, bigger drums get thicker heads. I think it sounds pretty good, but I've only tapped them just a bit. We'll see tomorrow how they sound after they've seated for a while.
Cheers!