DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Aquarian Super Kick Combo Pack

I was given one to try out. Gonna put it on a 22x17 Brady kick.
If anyone has worked with these heads before. let me know what you think and any hints, if any, you may have.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Aquarian Super Kick Combo Pack

I'm using it right now and I think it's gives a pretty defined/fat sound. I personally find tuning it pretty low works well, but I'm using a 20" kick.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

I dont have the regulator but I have the SuperKick I and I keep my bass drum tuning at medium-loose tension. I have the kickpad (patch) and wood beater and without any other muffling (yeah empty bass drum), my bass drum sound awesome !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 08-19-2006, 06:47 AM

i have a superkick 2 with a EQ3 reso.

i might go with a super kick 3 next time though, its single ply with a power dot and its coated.

i like the sound i get with the sk2, but i think a one play coated might work better
Old 08-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

i have the superkick II/ regulator combo. nice combination between punchy and boomy.

it probably depends on the kit though, because when i got my gretsch kit, it was a bit too

boomy. a pillow fixed that. the quality is superb as well. it won't fall apart like an emad.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I like the Super Kick II / Regulator heads a lot. You get a nice thud and also some boom with the thud being more pronounced. I use a medium tension and run the drum wide open.

I have tried the EMAD, Super kick I, and the Force I and like the Super kick II the best.

I might try the 2 ply EMAD and see what thats like.

Please post you impression of the head. I think that would be a great value based on your considerable experience.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

I've found that the Superkick is a great way to maintain the very firm,solid feel of having a pillow inside, but at the same time letting the drum open up in the low end frequency range. In other words, they have the perfect combination of "thump" and "boom" that puts Powerstroke 3's and EMAD's to shame!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:57 PM

I'd like to try some of the Acquarian products but I have yet to find a store here in Winnipeg (Canada) that stocks them. It's all Remo and Evans.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been using the SK1/regualtor combo on my 22" bass for about 10 years and love it, nice punch and low end with nothing inside the bass. Actually just bought another batter the other day.

As far as tuning goes it's all a matter of your ear and the particular drum and how the head feels when you hit it. I've tried loose and tight on my batter and my bass sounds and feels good in that in between tension. Try the batter in the mid tuning range and the reso a little past wrinkle for that low deep punch. Just have to experiment.

Let us know what you think.:-)
Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 AM

hey everybody,

i'm hoping to get a superkick combo... but i don't know if i should get a 1 ply or a 2 ply.

it sounds like most people use the two, but does anyone have anything to say about the 1?

for the record i've got a Pacific MX set with a 22" bass.

thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Pioneer Member

For me the 2 ply was too dead sounding. For my Yamaha's the 22" SK1 works great. Just the right tone and punch. If you put a flam patch on the single ply I don't think you'll have a problem with it lasting unless you are an extremely heavy hitter. Read my post above.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:30 PM

ive got a superkick II on the batter side with a regulator on the reso side. It sounds amazing, no muffling. I can get a BOOM or a THUD if i want to. Im thinking of putting in felt strips on the batter side, but at the moment, the combo with no muffling is GREAT
Evans
Old 09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Pioneer Member

I've used both the Super Kick I and II. I didn't like the single ply head at all. It had a plastic sounding slap to it and just didn't produce a deep enough tone for me. I played with the tuning for a couple of weeks and was never happy with it.

I used to play a 26 and thought that my current 22 x 18 would just take some time getting used to. The single ply EMAD was about the same. When I went to a two ply I was amazed. That was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a huge thud sound with some tone and resonance.

By contrast, Konabay likes the single ply and not the two ply. There's really no right and wrong here, and I don't believe there is a best head, drum, cymbal, or whatever.

It's really about tailoring the sound to the individuals liking and style of music. What works for one drummer may or may not work for another. I've had five sets of heads on my set in the last year. I didn't wear the heads out, but was experimenting with what kind of sounds I could get out of my drums.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy
I've used both the Super Kick I and II. I didn't like the single ply head at all. It had a plastic sounding slap to it and just didn't produce a deep enough tone for me. I played with the tuning for a couple of weeks and was never happy with it.

I used to play a 26 and thought that my current 22 x 18 would just take some time getting used to. The single ply EMAD was about the same. When I went to a two ply I was amazed. That was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a huge thud sound with some tone and resonance.

By contrast, Konabay likes the single ply and not the two ply. There's really no right and wrong here, and I don't believe there is a best head, drum, cymbal, or whatever.

It's really about tailoring the sound to the individuals liking and style of music. What works for one drummer may or may not work for another. I've had five sets of heads on my set in the last year. I didn't wear the heads out, but was experimenting with what kind of sounds I could get out of my drums.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
What you said is very, very true !!! It's all a matter of personal preference and sometimes it can get a little pricey trying different heads and finding the sound "YOU" want or are looking for. The material the shells are made from will also have an affect on the sound of your heads, along with bearing edges and so on. My bass is made from a birch mahogany mix for example so the mahogany gives it the extra bit of low end.

Hey Steady, what kind of beater were/are you using and did you use a patch on the head??
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy
Hey Steady, what kind of beater were/are you using and did you use a patch on the head??
I use the standard DW beater with the plastic side on the head and a Remo patch.
My kick is a DW maple. I went through five or six heads until I found a sound that I could live with. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty close. I run the drum wide open. I don't use pillows or any additional muffling. I've also tried a few different beaters.

You're right my friend, it is expensive, but the quality of the sound is what it's all about.
I just can't imagine playing my set and having them not sound good to me. I've worked really hard on my playing this past year so sound really is everything to me.

Thanks for your response.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I run mine wide open as well and love it. I use the felt side of the standard DW beater.

It can be amazing when you really start to hear the tone you are looking for, I know it was and still is for me. Makes me want to play more.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofriendlyunitshifter View Post
i have the superkick II/ regulator combo. nice combination between punchy and boomy.

it probably depends on the kit though, because when i got my gretsch kit, it was a bit too

boomy. a pillow fixed that. the quality is superb as well. it won't fall apart like an emad.
Yeah, the EMAD falls apart and dents really fast, but if you put AF Patches on from the beginning it lasts a long time. If I ever get another EMAD though head I'd definitely choose an EMAD 2 over the one ply version.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM

I bet you love it.

I use the SK II and Regulator on all my kits.

I gave the EMAD 2 away.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:43 AM

I've had a SK2 since summer (replacing my EMAD 2) and it sounded nice and all, but just last week I bought a small hole regulator resonant head and now my kick drum sounds PERFECT.

I really can't stress enoiugh how great my kick sounds now.

I play a Pacific CX by the way.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:07 AM

i got the SK1 combo pack, and i LOVE it. my bass drum sounds HUUUGE. i haven't played a gig with it yet, but i'm sure it'll sound awesome. makes you want to play drums.